Definitely not -ev

• FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      So it seems like this poker blog thing is definitely not -ev. And I like +ev th.. i mean definitely not -ev things. So here I am!

A bit of info about me: I'm a 25 years old Canadian student, almost done with my degree in computer science and mathematics. I love to play lots of games, especially in the strategy genre. Probably because of both points above, I always wanted to learn to play good poker. But good poker requires dedication, and it's hard to be dedicated when there a bazillion fun games out there. However, now that I am almost done with my studies, my gaming time has diminished a lot, and it seems like a perfect time to concentrate my time into one game.

About this blog: The initial intention for this blog is to participate in the blog job promotion and eventually the bankroll challenge. It'll also serve to track my progress and post some analysis of hands I played, the usual stuff I guess.

My goals for this (blog job) month are pretty simple:
      • Play 4500 hands this month (average of 150 hands per day)
      • Analyse at least 1 hand per post here
  • 4 replies
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      So I've finally started! Had to take some time before starting to install my playing setup. Hand2Note is very nice, but the fact that it needs a third-party sidekick to run along with it is not very nice. I've installed SessionLord and using just a couple of it's feature, but I find it very nice to use.

Anyway, I've only played for an hour to test my setup, so this is just a small update. Also, I've got some exams coming up so I'll likely play more in about 2 weeks or so when I'm done with these.

Hands this month: 143/4500 [+143]

Hand Review of the Day
      Here's a hand where a lucky runout give us ton of value after a loose play on the flop.

Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 3023915
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.42
      Hero (SB): $3.23
      BB: $0.36
      UTG: $2.01
      MP: $1.88
      CO: $2.06

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with K:club: K:diamond:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.05, Hero raises to $0.14, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.09

Flop: ($0.30) 8:spade: T:spade: J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, BTN calls $0.16

I don't think this is a good cbet. Especially in a 3bet pot, there is not much villain is folding and pretty much all his calling range has good equity vs our hand. It's probably better to c/c once or maybe even c/f directly.

Turn: ($0.62) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Planning to c/f here since we're behind anything that called the flop, except weird hands like QQ or some 9 without spade.

River: ($0.62) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.84, BTN calls $0.84

The perfect card! Now we have the nuts except vs 88, and villain has a very high chance to have improved too. I chose to overbet to about 1.5x pot since villain very likely has a hand too good to fold, even with this sizing. Also, it looks like a possible bluff, and he could even try to shove here if he's courageous.

If we just check, it's probably unlikely that villain shoves or give us as much value as if we bet.

Final Pot: $2.30
      BTN mucks As 9s
      Hero shows Kc Kd (a full house, Kings full of Eights)
      Hero wins $2.22
      (Rake: $0.08)
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      It's week-end time! Ah yeah!

Managed to play a good 2h for about 300 hands. I can't detail much for today since I've had to leave home early.

I've had some run good and some run bad moments, but overall this was a positive session. I've built a nice tight game plan following w34z3l's walkthrough series (not that recent, but still full of very relevant advices), and it's been working quite well so far. There's still some odd preflop spots I'm not so sure about, and I need to give more thought to my postflop plan, but it's giving me lots of hands to analyse.

I'll post two hands to review next post since I can't do it right now.
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      [Accidental double post]
    • FearedBeing
      FearedBeing
      Bronze
      So this is the end week of week 1!

Hands this month: 693/4500
      Results: +6,42$

I've played about 100 hands today before stoping. I was somewhat tired and I'm pretty sure I wasn't playing my best game. I was playing without thinking too much, and I noticed some hands that I could have played differently for a (probably) better results. I don't know how much worse I played, but I really felt the difference playing tired today and playing while concentrated yesterday.

About the hand reviews I wanted to make, I'll need to remember to keep some time after a session to make the reviews. Right now, I'm playing until I have other things to do, and I don't have the time to make some analysis.

As such, my goals for next week are:
      • Play only my A-game (only when concentrated)
      • Make time for hand analysis after my session
      • Catch up with my blog job goals