My run from the Micros to Mid Stakes!

• Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Hello, I'm Nate, 40yo, Canadian. I've been playing for a long time, since before UIGEA and Black Friday, when it was easy to make a good living just playing low stakes and everyone was a fish. I've never really put money into the game, I started with a no deposit bonus and have made withdrawls over the years to pay for life needs, always leaving $20-$30 behind to rebuild with. I have been a winning player in the past, but the game has changed and have become a break even player at best. I haven't been playing too seriously over the last few years and have decided now is the time to get serious again.

I have a goal to become a mid stakes pro, and am currently breaking my game back down to the basics. Since I only have a bankroll of $36 I'm grinding micros 6 days a week. I'm lucky that I'm living with my brother in law and don't have too many expenses. I also run a small tech support business to help pay for life needs, so if anyone needs some remote computer help, just ask and I will try to give you a good deal.

I've been back grinding MTT's and MTSNG's for the last month, not playing cash right now, and have been showing some good results, especially since I signed up here.

I've laid out some daily goals that have definitely been helping.

1. Walk at least 5000 steps around 4km (I'm not much of a work out guy)
      2. Spend at least 1 hour studying. (Watching vids, ICM trainer, Replaying whole tourneys etc.)
      3. Playing at least 6 tourneys (I usually start 2-3 at a time and play them down before starting more)
      4. Review hands that I tag in PT4 at the end of each session and post in the forum

Simple goals, that are easily accomplished, and most days I go way over. The next to be added to the list will to post in this blog at the end of each day, recapping the day's play, journaling my feelings and just sharing whatever I want. I am also taking part in the Get Rich or Die Trying - The Bankroll Challenge.

Thanks to everyone who reads and follows me. Now I have a couple tourneys to replay from the weekend.
  • 56 replies
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      So, yesterday was my day off, which will be for a while now. Unless I feel good and in which case I will grind for sure. I just finished my first session of the day. This is how things are going for me so far.

PokerStars - 30/60 Ante 6 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG+1: 2,946 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 3)
      MP: 2,892 (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      MP+1: 3,000
      CO: 6,558 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 100.00, Hands: 3)
      BTN: 2,580 (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 3)
      SB: 2,928 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
      Hero (BB): 2,982
      UTG: 3,180 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 3)

8 players post ante of 6, SB posts SB 30, Hero posts BB 60

Pre Flop: (pot: 138) Hero has A:diamond: A:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls 60, fold, fold, CO calls 60, BTN calls 60, SB calls 30, Hero raises to 408, UTG+1 calls 348, fold, BTN calls 348, fold

Flop: (1,392, 3 players) 6:heart: 8:diamond: 4:spade:
      Hero bets 840, fold, BTN calls 840

Turn: (3,072, 2 players) 5:club:
      Hero bets 1,728 and is all-in, BTN calls 1,326 and is all-in

River: (5,724, 2 players) T:spade:

Edit: villain showed 44

It's time for a bit to eat and a walk to get rid of the damned Tilt Monster!
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello Rootsmantilt,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

1. Walk at least 8000 steps around (I'm not much of a work out guy)
      It is a good starting point. One of my mistakes when starting out was to overload myself.
      Something you may find interesting and has helped me is The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity

Looking forward to reading your future posts. Have fun :gl:

My regards

Matt
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metalmonkey80
      Hello Rootsmantilt,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

1. Walk at least 8000 steps around (I'm not much of a work out guy)
      It is a good starting point. One of my mistakes when starting out was to overload myself.
      Something you may find interesting and has helped me is The Quick Guide to Skyrocketing Your Poker and Life Productivity

Looking forward to reading your future posts. Have fun :gl:

My regards

Matt
      Hey Matt,

Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely have a look that productivity thread, I'm sure it will help me.

Take care,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Well, I played 2 sessions today, 8 tourneys total all on Stars. 1 MTT (Bounty Builder Sat), 2 90man, and 5 45man, only 1 cash (2nd in a 90man). 6900+ steps for around 4.5km and posted several hands from the weekend.

I want to say a big apology to a member of the forum, nsavov. I'm very sorry if I came off as a dick today. I'm not sure why I took your help as critically as I did. I realize you were trying to help me get better. By the end of the threads I understood what you were trying to get through my head. Thanks for your help.

Now I'm going to enjoy some TV. The new episode of Into the Badlands and the season premiere of Forged in Fire.

Until tomorrow,
      Nate
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Howdy, how do you track your steps? I have an app on the phone, daily target 6.000 but also 90min walking. So in the end i am always motivated to do the 90min+ because ...well i have a little dog,so it is rather easy :-)

CU & GL!
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SvenBe
      Howdy, how do you track your steps? I have an app on the phone, daily target 6.000 but also 90min walking. So in the end i am always motivated to do the 90min+ because ...well i have a little dog,so it is rather easy :-)

CU & GL!
      Hey SvenBe,

I do the exact same thing. I use an app called Pedometer++. I used to have dogs (3 but they have past) and never worried about getting exercise because I knew they needed to get at least an hour a day. Now I'm easily motivated because I was diagnosed with hyper tension or high blood pressure and don't really want to take pills if I can help it. The threat of a stroke is a great motivator. I set the goal low in the beginning and think I'm going to move it up because I have been get between 6000 and 10,000 most of the time.

Take care,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      End of the day update

Played 2 sessions, 7 tourneys in total, all on Stars.
      • 1 $0.11 Bounty Builder turbo Sat
      • 1 $0.10 360 man turbo SNG
      • 1 $0.25 90 man SNG
      • 4 $0.25 45 man SNG

Cashes
      9th in 90 man SNG

Again I posted several hands for discussion and look forward to hearing the analysis from the forum. Took 8600+ steps for 5.7km.

Smoked out the whole house when I pan fried a couple pork chops for my brother in law and I. They were super thick and the garlic burnt in the pan before I got his well done. Not that it made them taste bad. I took mine out at medium and tasted amazing. I make a pasted of diced garlic, cumin, salt, worcestershire and a little olive oil. I just rub it on right before I put them in the pan. Feel free to try it.

I feel like I'm getting better everyday. Played well for the most part today, but I know mistakes were made. I know it's a process and it takes time to seal up all the leaks. I watched a Collin Moshman vid yesterday, the one with Protential, and it got me thinking about sitting down with Poker Stove to come up with my own ranges for certain positions, 3bets, 4bets, resteals, and short stacks situations. I'm going to post about it in the Tournament forum, but I welcome any input here as well. I also need to spend time training on thinking in terms of typical % ranges. I've made some screen caps of Poker Stove already and will have to start studying them. I want to work on creating my ranges on Monday of next week (day off).

I have a bunch tickets building up on 888 and need to start using them. The freerolls play twice a day, 1:08pm and 7:08pm, which haven't been lining up with my current schedule. The plan is to rearrange my schedule so I can be sure to take advantage of these games. There are also daily freerolls on Party as well, which I want to be able to take advantage of, which tough as they play at 7:30. The reason the 7:08pm & 7:30pm games are hard, is that I have to cook dinner for my brother in law and I, (my wife is vegetarian and we aren't) and I love to play Jeopardy everyday, which airs at 7:30pm. Not sure if I can make them work. I'm also finding lately that I'm feel tired by the time dinner is over and I'm really trying to make sure I always play my A game. Anyone have an thoughts on this?

I think that's it for today. Take care,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      So, yesterday was a krutackin (Guardians of the Galaxy) nightmare. I decided to follow the advice I give all my customers, "Be sure to update your software!" My Comodo firewall had been telling me for the last week that there was an update ready, so before I started playing I ran that. A huge mistake! First I had problems with my second monitor, then the worst thing happened. PokerTracker 4 wouldn't connect to my PostgreSQL database. :f_mad: :f_mad:

I spent the day trying everything I could think of and then any advice I found on the internet. Made exceptions in the firewall, turn the firewall off etc. I then resorted to submitting a support ticket. When I was writing the ticket I mentioned that I would be ok uninstalling both apps and deleting the database, as I had been archiving my processed hands to my hard drive. Well after I submitted the ticket, I was impatient, so I decided to just go ahead, wipe out all of it and start over. It worked like a charm. Now I have fresh installs of PT4, Postgres, and installed a new fire wall, ZoneAlarm. It took several hours to re-import all the hands and I've spent the morning downloading/configuring a tournament HUD. As a bonus I also install the PokerStrategy replayer theme. Now it's time to get grinding.

Take care,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      So, my brother in law has had a cold over the last 3 days, that has gotten worse. Well as I started my session today I was feeling it coming on. My head felt like a balloon, I was stuffy with a slight cough. Now I could have pushed through but I didn't have my A game anymore. I decided that once I finished the tourneys that I had started I would take the rest of the day to rest, and not let this cold take hold of me.

On the bright side, I did get to play one of the Jackpotland freerolls on 888 and triple min cashed.

Until tomorrow,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      End of day update

Played
      2 session, 10 tourneys, all on Stars
      • 1 $0.11 Bounty Builder turbo Sat
      • 3 $0.10 360 man turbo SNG
      • 6 $0.25 45 man SNG

Cashes
      • 30th in a 360 man SNG
      • 7th in a 45 man SNG
      • 2nd in a 45 man SNG

Not really much to say today, feeling like a played pretty well but there were spots that I could have played better. Took 8292 steps for 6.2km. Feeling pretty tired now, so it's time for some food, watch some tv and get a good night's sleep. I have to do some family stuff with the in laws tomorrow, but I'm going to try to play a bit. Not sure what the action will be like, but it doesn't matter to much to me. I'm sure the 45's will still fill quickly.

Until tomorrow, take care,
      Nate
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      I would advise you to take shots at $1 180man and $1.50 90man KO. They both have extremely slow structures - 15 min blinds. They dont run often so whenever you see them dont be afraid to risk 5% BR on them. Its not like you are going to play 20 of them :f_biggrin: Keep in mind they run about 5-6 hours.
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nsavov
      I would advise you to take shots at $1 180man and $1.50 90man KO. They both have extremely slow structures - 15 min blinds. They dont run often so whenever you see them dont be afraid to risk 5% BR on them. Its not like you are going to play 20 of them :f_biggrin: Keep in mind they run about 5-6 hours.
      Ok thanks for the advice, I will keep my eye for them. If I notice 1 filling up and I have my A game I will jump in.
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      End of day update

Played
      Played 2 session 6 tourneys all on 888
      • 5 $0.01 Step 1 Super Turbo Rebuy MTT
      • 1 $0.10 Step 2 Turbo Rebuy MTT

Cashes
      • 3 $0.10 Step 2 tickets

Well I managed to hit my goal of 6 tourneys today, but I didn't start my first session till later in the day. My in laws were here for Easter lunch. Which is why I decided to play my little bankroll on 888. I'm very risk adverse right now and I'd like to keep what little money I have in that account so that's why I played the Step tourneys. I wasn't feeling great mentally or physically when I got to start playing, but I managed to make it ITM a few times, regardless. I was really tilted at the bubble of the Step 2, which lead me to pushing in a hand that I shouldn't have. I only had 5 bb left, 4 from the bubble I think, so I felt pressured to try to pick up some chips in order to last till the tickets. I was looking at the lobby to see how many players were left and I think I lost my head. I would've probably been ok if I just folded off unless I picked up something premium. My mistake and will be more aware in the future. I'm going to start playing this account 1 day a week from now on. I had fun today playing these Steps tourneys, and they are a great way for me to leverage my small bankroll so I can play some $1 MTT's and build up.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are going to be study/business days this week. Need to do some advertising and start getting some remote computer services so I can keep the internet on. I will be posting my Get Rich or Die Trying update tomorrow though.

Until Wednesday take care,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Get Rich or Die Trying Report

Week 1
      • 35 tournaments played
      • +$0.48 & 2 $0.10 tickets (not sure if I can included these)
      • Bankroll = $40.98 (or $41.18 with tickets included)

• Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      End of Day Update

Played
      Played 9 tourneys total, 6 on 888 and 3 on Stars
      • 1 Jackpotland freeroll on 888
      • 3 $0.01 Step 1 super turbo rebuy on 888
      • 2 $0.10 Step 2 turbo rebuy (tickets) on 888
      • 2 $0.25 45 man SNG on Stars
      • 1 $0.25 90 man SNG on Stars

Cashes
      • 1 $0.10 Step 2 ticket

Well the variance got to me today. I decided to spend the day grinding on my 888 account and I kind of regret it. The tilt monster got a hold of me, and understandably. Who wants to play so many multiway all in pots and get suck out on the river. I was doing good at the beginning of the day, brushing it all off. By the late afternoon I just couldn't handle it. I took a short break and decided to play a quick session on Stars to try to redeem my self and didn't do much better. It felt better but things just didn't go my way. So now I'm done for the day. The first day back after a couple days off and nothing seemed to work. Tomorrow will be better right?

I did spend sometime yesterday crafting some situational hand ranges which I shared in this thread. I would appreciate some feedback, so please have a look and give me your thoughts. It's obviously a work in progress and I have come up with some other situations that I want to craft ranges for, but I will save that for my next study day.

Until tomorrow,
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      End of day update

Played
      2 sessions, 5 $0.25 45 man SNG

Cashes
      4th in a 45 man

I've been mentally beat up since the weekend. First the in laws and then my family. Not to get into it much, but its tough when I have to go see either. Hard on my confidence level. Plus my wife has been worried about money, so that is weighing on me too.

So, my first session today the tilt monster showed up as I played 3 tourneys and took some suck outs. l wasn't able to do anything about it. At this point I wasn't pretty down on myself. Took some time to do dishes and was about to write this blog entry, when I got a phone call. It was a new customer and I have a remote service tomorrow afternoon. This changes things around and my mood improves. So, before I gave up for the day I thought I was back to my A state of mind and that would lead to my A game. I was right. Opened 2 more tourneys and managed a respectable cash. Confidence level back up and I'm glad I got back on a table.

Until tomorrow,
      Nate
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Nice that you are able to find things outside of poker that keeps your mood up :f_thumbsup:
      Dont forget to watch some free videos. Its a really good way yo improve your game, even if they are of alot bigger BIs.
      GL
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Yesterday's end of day update

Played
      Played 1 session, 2 tourneys on Stars
      • $1.00 180 man SNG
      • $0.25 45 man SNG

I didn't get to play as many tourneys as I wanted, but I did have a remote tech support appointment and it took a lot of time. I started it at 4pm and wasn't done until after 10pm. As far as the poker goes, I feel like I played well, but I was just cold decked, and in these micro tourneys, you can't do much when you don't get cards. Variance right? As far as the tech support appointment, I had to archive over 30k of emails because Outlook 10 wasn't working properly anymore and then export them into Thunderbird. Most of my time was spent waiting of the archiving to finish and the rest took less then a 30 minutes. Since I'm working from home and it's remote service, I watched a movie on t.v. with my laptop beside me. Hey it's money in the bank.

I'm doing some work on my PT4 HUD and then I'm getting to it. It's gonna be a good day, I can feel it.
      Nate
    • Rootsmantilt
      Rootsmantilt
      Bronze
      Yesterday's end of day update

Played
      Played 1 session, 5 tourneys all on Stars
      • 3 $0.25 45 man SNG
      • 1 $0.25 90 man SNG
      • 1 $1.00 180 man SNG

Cashes
      17th in 180 man SNG

The best way to describe yesterday's session is nerve racking. There was a lot of cold decks, a lot of short stack play, and a lot of all in's. I got lucky a bunch when I was behind and unlucky a bunch when I was ahead. Needless to say it wasn't an easy session and it took a lot of patience to get ITM. Feel great that I can cash at least once on most days. I wanted to put in more volume, but had to visit with the in laws, as my other brother in law just got back from working in northern Manitoba. I have to take care of some chores (dishes) and I will be putting in some volume today.

Until later,
      Nate