From the ruins of a previous expedenture..

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      (Those of you who do not wish to read this long wall of text, you can just scroll to the end of this post. The pretty little graph pretty much sums most of it up.)

I saw poker on TV one day and I thought it was a pretty cool card game. So, I began watching it on a regular basis. (ie. WSOP, High Stakes Poker, etc.,) At the time, Ivey and Negreanu were my favorite players, and to this day, they still are.

But, before I even knew about Pokerstrategy.com, I was at Absolute Poker, on the Play Money tables. I remember playing on those tables for a loong time and had actually built up a hefty "play money" stack! :D Most of the tournament strategy I'd learned was from searching the internet myself and reading articles here and there. I'd play the freerolls almost every night, winning $0.27 here and $0.35 there. After a couple of weeks, I nickled and dimed up a ~$13 bankroll. With only 6 buy-ins, I gave NL2 a shot. Of course my poor bankroll couldn't withstand the horrible swings and suckouts at such a low and care-free limit, soooooo...... BUSTO!!

Somewhere along the line, I found Pokerstrategy.com via someone spamming a chatbox. I read the articles, learned Short Stack Strategy, passed the quiz, and stayed true to SSS word-for-word on my new site, Full Tilt Poker. I slowly lost my entire bankroll on FTP and vowed to never play SSS again. In my own experience, it was a losing strategy. I'm quite sure that's not the case for many others, and I'm not bashing PS or anyone else here, but in my own experience, in my own schema, SSS was a failure. (maybe I'll give it another shote somewhere far off in the future, who knows?..)

Left bitter and disgusted with an account of $0.03, I quit poker. I said that I would return "Whenever..."

Six months later, I logged into my FTP account and saw that I had gotten back $40.00 in rakeback from those previous six months. So, I started playing the $1.00 + 0.25 Turbo Sit and Gos, 1-tabling them until I built my BR up to $55-60ish.

At this point, I started taking ICM extremely seriously and was committed to riding it too until the wheels fell off, just as I had did with SSS. Then, I abruptly stopped playing the $1.25 Turbos because of the insane rake, and started 4-tabling the $2.00 + 0.25 Turbos -- with no regard to BR management.

Lucky for me, I managed to not go busto and built up my BR to ~$230. I then gave the $3.50 + 0.30 Super Turbos a shot whilst 6-tabling. I quickly suffered a traumatizing 23BI downswing, which almost made me decide to move back down to the $2.25s and to quit the $3.80s. But, after looking at Miskokvo's blog, (one of the many SnG blogs that I always read) I decided to give the $3.80s more of a chance than just a 50 tourney sample.

Determined to try my very best and to give it my all, I downloaded the trial version of SnGWiz, looking to improve my game. I began using it extensively and grinded my way back up out of the downswing. I've never looked back at the $2.25s since then.

As of now, I'm 9-tabling the $3.80 Sup Turbs, which is something that I never could've imagined back when I was 1-tabling the $1.25s.

Looking at my poor BRM in the past, I've decided to stick to 100BI for the Sup Turbs. And really, I'm just hoping that one day I'll have $750 so that I can maybe, just maybe, play the $7.00 + 0.50 Sup Turbs.

Current BR: $431.89
  • 36 replies
    • ovechkin91
      ovechkin91
      Bronze
      nice gl
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Yea i would also like to read this blog ;) So good luck at tables and keep us updated,

slikec
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Nice blog! I really like your graph how you add comments to it..
      I think you're doing really awesome. It took me almost a year to get where I am now. If you continue like this I am confident you can be playing middstakes in a few months, too. With enough determination one can move up the limits really really quickly.

GL and keep us updated!
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Thanks guys! I've had a really, really great day today. I broke $500, and even though I celebrated yesterday for breaking $400, I must celebrate again!! Lol.

My internet connection stole some of my profit today though. :evil: I was chipleader on one my tables with 2 other people and both of them were crippled, and on the other, I was slightly above the other two in chip count and was counting on placing at least second. Unfortunately, my internet went out and gave 4 lucky people free 2nd place finishes.

I also didn't get to play nearly the volume that I had planned on today because of the internet problems. But all is well, why am I complaining? I'm that much closer to my $750 goal!

(No pretty graph this time, I have to go to bed for class in the morning..)

Current Bankroll: $505.24
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      GG........... :P

What happens when you hit $750?
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Wow guys, I know I disappeared off of the radar for some time now. I've been busy with school (midterms and all) and work. Plus the fact that I've been running absolutely horrible -- 4 days of free falling really crushed my ROI on these 3.80 Super Turbo's. I know you've all heard the same old sad story time and time again, so I'll keep it brief: None of my favorites would hold up, coinflips were constantly loss, and suckouts were being gutted in the stomach.

I've moved up to 9-tabling the SnGs continuously rather than in sets. I find that it keeps suckouts from lingering in my head and leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I try to "forget" about it and just open up another table rather than waiting until all 9 are done.

Does anyone have any useful programs or AHK's that make multitabling at FTP less stressful? It's annoying to have the game lobby and the tournament lobby popup every-time-you-start-a-new-Sit-and-Go. After 2 hours of continuously 9-tabling my brain was pooped. I had a headache and I was mentally exhausted. (Props to boku87, he really is a multitabling machine!)

(I'll be buying SnGWiz today, trials about to expire...)

Notice the nice illusory mountain of profit.

EDIT: weird, my homepage says "Congratulations, you are now gold!" but it isn't showing on my avatar...

Current Bankroll: $529.78
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Nothing much to report here. I've been playing break-even poker for about 250 SnGs.

I must do something about my internet connection though. It has been constantly causing my too many problems. I was forced to sit out of 9 tournys because of it. When the connection finally came back, I had to click "I'm Back" in all of the Sit n Gos. Funny part is, I'm in the money on one of the tournys and I'm also in the big blind. I'm still in the process of sitting back in on all of my tables and the small blind was stealing my blinds. I look down and see that I have pocket AA's on that table. Yippee right?! :D

No. I snap-fold b/c I hadn't sat back in on that table yet -- and make it so bad, it was the last one. I've never felt so eagerful (eager-FAIL) in my life. It's one thing to call and lose with aces, but it's another to just flat out fold them.

So, I want to step up to 12-tabling, but I don't think my computer can take it. I dont know what the problem is, but FTP lags really bad at certain times and I think that another 3 tables would be overkill to it. Anyone know why it lags so bad? My computer isn't THAT old. Windows XP 2002, 2.00GHz, 768MB RAM. Could it be the video card? I've even turned the animations OFF; that seems to help a little, but it could just be the placebo effect.

Oh, and andyb43, sorry I missed your post. When I hit $750, I'll give the 7.50 Super Turbos a go. I should be there in about 2-3 weeks. We'll see. :]

Current Bankroll: $558.53
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      gl mate
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hey,

I don't really know what's up with Full Tilt but I don't like it too much either. It was running smoothly but the past week it started lagging really bad. I hope they sort it out with their next software update.

I don't think your computer has too much influence on it. I have a pretty new notebook 2,5GHz CPU with 4GB RAM and a decent graphics (GF 8600GT) and I still experince the lags.

Hope you start running well again soon,
      Lubor
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      That's nice to hear. I thought the problem was on my end. Maybe I'll step it up to to twelve.

I'm still running disgustingly bad. My graph doesn't say much except break-even, but believe me, it should be soaring up really high. I'm no longer losing 50/50s and 60/40s, I'm being stiffed by 70/30s and 80/20s. It'd be one thing to be suckered early on, but so many of these beats occur on the bubble that it's sickening. Oh well, I'm not going to continue ranting. I'll update you guys when my luck turns around.

On another note, I've been getting 90%+ on the SnGWiz quizzes that I've been doing. Not quite my goal of 95%+, but I've came a long ways in terms of my past scores. The quizzes seem a lot harder than ICM Trainer. When I hit 95%+, I'll bump the settings up to Expert and shoot for 95%+ again.

I've been trying to practice ranging my opponents, but I don't necessarily know to improve upon this skill. I can tag them with a rough estimate, but I'd like to be able to narrow that down even further someday. (Sometimes I'm quite shocked by the hands that people call my shoves with though). Is it safe to widen the BB's calling range if you keep shoving into him from the SB nearly every orbit?

Current Bankroll: $507.98
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Yippee! I finally broke a $600 bankroll! I've been stuck in the $500's for a couple of weeks now and it feels good to be in a new number.

I took MiskoKvo's advice and watched a few of the well established Super Turbo grinders, including Barin22, MiskoKvo, and WPTfuji. I learned a few things just by watching and observing their play and ranges. I realized that I was playing too tight. Even though I did loosen up my shoving/calling ranges as my stack became smaller, I didn't loosen them up nearly enough; so I guess I was missing out on a lot of value after so many games.

I try to shoot for a 1:1 ratio between studying/playing poker. My studying includes SngWiz, observing good players, reading forums, etc. I used to post hands in the forums, but with the Wiz, I can now just plug the info in and see what it says I should do.

I will probably be dipping in and out of the high $500s tomorrow, but.....

Current Bankroll: $611.46
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Ahh, finally a breath of fresh air. Nothing like a good old upward spike in the graph after playing break even. It's not much, but it has brought my morale back up.

So I played in the Iron Man freeroll, I managed to place 71st out of 1,093. I kid you not, for about 60% of the tourny, only one person was at my table actually playing -- the other 7 were sitting out. It took the other person FOREVER to realize that it was only me and him. He kept folding to the blinds and checking down to the river against people who were snap-checking and stuff. Of course I took advantage of it and bullied the snot out of him.

piranha74: it is just us midge
      midgetjay: nope
      So he continued to fold and I just shook my head. Then, my internet them went out again while I was ranked like #23 in the freeroll. I finally reconnect and I'm nearly in push/fold mode. I see that I had already folded pocket QQ's and 99's. Grr.. I get AQ on button, I shove, I lose to A9. Now I'm crippled. I get AK, I shove, I lose to A9.. again. Oh well, $20 reward, ship it.

I feel like I'm getting a lot better at ranging my opponents, so that's always a plus. I used to dread getting better at ranging b/c it was so hard to me, but now, I see that's it's a crucial aspect of my game and I try to improve at it every opportunity I get. It's funny to see people in the chat calling me a donk when I shove from the SB with 10-7s and suck out. I feel I deserve it anyway! lol

My super-suckout of the day. Everyone allin preflop and I shoved first. (I was a 4-to-1 underdog btw, not too bad eh?)

Only $50 until I can move up. Not 100% sure if I will though when I do hit $750.

Current Bankroll: $702.01
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      [rant]
      Well, I was going to post here with the great news of me accomplishing a goal that I had once deemed highly improbable. I was $30 away from hitting my $750 longterm bankroll goal and being able to step up in limits. Something I'd planned some months ago. I had 9 SnGs going and I was on the bubble on 3 of them. And of that 9, I had already doubled up on 4 of them.

**sighs**

Cable company then decides they want to do some "routine inspection/maintenance."

X( I don't even want to finish playing. This just killed all of my anticipation, excitement, and motivation for the day. Knowing that all your hardwork and perseverance was about to pay off. Knowing that you were nearly guaranteed to achieve what you had set out for. And some crap like this happens. I know I shouldn't be ticked off about it, but gosh, it's hard not to be. It feels a lot worse than it sounds. Feels like my victory was taken from me. Snatched right from out of my tightly-gripped hands.
      [/rant]
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      happens me a lot coz of my shitty wirless conection at school.. lucky i bought antoher one so i have 2 conections.. pretty shitty but when 1 fall down i quickly can switch to antoher one for end tables..

huh today i had sickest day at super turbos in my life...

i counted 17 souck outs of 26 hands moving all in at least 70:30... down 30BI in 2 hours...

lost 3 times AKoff vs Akoff ... battle bigstack vs bigstack in late game ... i punched into bookshelf so hard that i probably broken it

but then luck arrives and i was up like 100$ ..

i saw today things that not cooperate with mathematic rules... i was so tilt ..so mad... this was my first tilt after 4-5 months ...

i was thinking that when i have AK against AQ im dog ... or having QQ+ get called by 3 guys with hands like a7 a3 k4 .. and loosing against str8 with k4 :D

it is pretty funky how sick poker can be coz im seeing more than 10times more Went to show down as cash/normal sng/ or etc players

midgetjay: im just warning you :) in higher limits i advise you to bought somthing to punch it when you constantly loose for 2 hours with better hands ...like boxing bag :D
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I know EXACTLY how you feel Michal. Trust me, you're not alone on that. But do you think a stress ball will work? I was thinking about taking a few days off from poker, that is until I looked at my bankroll.

I finally hit $750!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

Time to cash it out and spend it all. :D Naw, I'm just kidding. But seriously, I'd LOVE to move up right now, and ordinarily, I would without hesitation. It's just that you said something that stook out to me in your blog. And I'm not 100% I want to move up because of it.

Originally posted by miskokvo
      midgetjay: dont overdoo it 7,5$ are pretty nightmare even for regulars having some problems with them ... or simple u can expect -600$ -700$ downswing in begining ... in like 2 days.... you should master 3,8$ firstly ... having ROI of 10% in like 3000sng would be excelent...

I can't imagine vaporizing my entire BR on a single downswing, even though I know it is possible.

Argh. I've been waiting on this moment for so long. And now that it's here, I don't even know what I'm gonna do.

I guess I'll sleep on it and think about it later in the morning..

Current Bankroll: $784.07
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      make rule ... when you hit 500$ then you go back to 3,8 to rebuild at 750$ and then try again
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      Ok. So I took your advice, Misko, and moved up with the intentions of dropping back down if I were to hit $500 again.

But today was a great start for these limits! I know an ROI of 30% isn't sustainable, but if sure does feel good!! After about 46 SnGs, I'm up +$102.3

I found myself finishing with a lot of 2nd places that should've been 1st, but a lucky man can't complain right? Overall, I think I'm gonna stay here. I haven't played them very much, but the play doesn't seem any different from the 3.80's. We'll see... time will tell.

I do have a question however. I'm at a crossroads as far as hourly profit:

-If I increase my ROI by 2%, I'll increase my hourly by ~$5.00.

...or...

-If I add 3 more tables, I'll increase my hourly by ~$5.00

So I guess it boils down to quality vs quantity. Which would should I choose? I think I'm leaning more towards quality, but it'll be so much more easier to just add 3 more tables. :D

The pretty tail is where I moved up..

(oh boy, my rakeback this week is gonna make me poop my drawers)

Current Bankroll: $886.37
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      i fidned out that playing constantly 9 tables.. (open new one when you busted) is pretty same as playing set of 16 sng .... so im now playing 9 tables... but is easy to tilt coz you see souck outs....

i dont advise you playing 16 tables at 1 time...and opening new one when you busted... you can do it for a while but when you reach 3-4 buble tables ... you dont have much time to opening another ones or just thinking..

nice upswingaments :) gl
    • midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I finally broke a $1K bankroll and I must say that I'm extremely happy about it. The swings are pretty crazy at this limit, but I feel confident that in the longrun, I'll come up out on top.

Nothing much else here to report. I decided to work on the quality of my play instead of just adding 3 more tabkes and I feel that SnGWiz has already paid itself off. I also bought another program which automatically opens up and closes the tournys for me, which, if you multitable at FTP, you know it's a serious pain in the...

Don't know if I'm gonna move up when I hit $1500. I guess we'll see when the time comes..

Current Poker Bankroll: $1,014.32