The Fongie Poker Show

• Fongie
      Fongie's Room of Improvement

Currently playing: NL10 SH
      Current bankroll:$610

Note 2/6-11: I've left this post just as it was when I posted it back then except for this note. Lots of things have changed obviously, but I think it's better to leave it. You can pretty much read my entire career as a BSS player from NL10 and upwards here. =)
      I am now a semi-professional poker player (student also) playing up to NL400€, and have coached at for over two years.

About Me
      long - skip if you don't care :D

Hi everyone, I'm Fongie, and in the world outside poker I am a 19-year-old guy who works as a substitute teacher and trains fencing (a lot). In the world of poker, I am a nobody :tongue:

My interest in poker came mainly (like so many others) from watching poker on TV before I turned 18. It was also some time before I turned 18 that I discovered this site and read through the basic articles.
      When I did turn 18 I had in mind to deposit the smallest amount possible and try out this short-stack strategy. I didn't however come back to the site to fresh up my memory... which resulted in my playing horribly out of bankroll with my 25 dollars and definately not according to the SHC, but I also went on a huge upswing which took me up as high as 100 (!) dollars, playing NL25 on partypoker. When it started to come down and came down as far 60 dollars I thought "hey, maybe I should see if I'm doing something wrong here" and searched and found PS! and took a few weeks to become a member (starting capital on FT, got owned by big downswing and too many shorties on NL10 trying to play SSS), and read through the strategy - this time I did it thoroughly.

SSS Past

I moved my roll to stars to take advantage of the reload bonus and because I thought the software looked better (doubt I'll ever move away from stars), and started grinding SSS. The move from NL10 to NL25 was long and hard, had some bad downswings and it was pretty tedious in general. However, I did make it in the end and started playing NL25, where I played for a long time and went through my worst downswing ever (18BI I think). This time might have been the most valuable in my poker career, because I sincerely believe my Study : Playing ratio was about 5:1. I read up on all sorts of poker, tried some of them, and I believe it was really helpful.
      I did recover eventually. I went up to NL50 at 400$, became gold on PS and started reading up on more advanced SSS, coachings, videos, and so on - generally trying to improve my game. I also posted a lot of hands in this period (NL25 and 50), which could mean that someone will recognize me! Maybe..

In the start of december something pretty weird happened. I had a big upswing (well, my NL50 SSS never ran well, it's still on the negative - bonuses ftw), cleared a few bonuses, and found myself on 490 dollars. Then I just stopped playing. Why? I don't know, nothing much changed, I just did other things instead and didn't feel like playing.

Here's the SSS graph from 2008:

Short-Handed Future

But now.. why does it say I'm playing SH up there? Well, I've always wanted to end up playing either MTTs or SH (or both), and in the time I was gold here I watched every video there was on the subjects. Now I feel is the time to start, to freshen up my will to play poker, and to shoot for new heights in both knowledge and money with the bankroll I've built from scratch.
      Note that I will not be playing a huge volume like many others here on PS, since most of my time go to fencing, GF, and work (in that order :P ), but I will try to play as much as possible, and try to get some playing done on every weekend night (donkey time). My restricted playing time is also why I can't focus on MTTs, although I will try to play them whenever I have the time to.

[x]Regain silver status
      [x]Make sure I keep updating this blog
      [x]Play 20,000 hands of NL10SH with positive winrate
      [x]Make sure I make reviewing sessions and posting hands a habit

[x]Regain gold status
      []Move up to NL25 with 50BI
      []Win a MTT with 500+ entrants
      []Become a really, really, really, really, really, really good poker player

I decided to make this blog before I started playing (yesterday), so my next post will tell you about the first two days. I'll write it tomorrow! (gf is calling me to bed :D )
  • 898 replies
    • Fongie

Started by playing 7 or so $1 18/27/45-man MTT SNGs around noon to try it out (was free all day). Went away with $5 profit or so, not too bad. They seemed very easy.

Later on, after dinner, I started my first ever (well, first ever REAL) SH session. I started with 3 tables and soon went to 4, might seem a lot for a first time but I'm so used to multitabling 15 tables that I just do stupid things if I play, for example, 1 or 2.

On saturday evening I continued, but I also mixed in a $5.5 "guaranteed" tourney on stars as my 4th table, thus playing 3 tables of SH for as long as the tourney lasted (which turned out to be pretty long :D ).

How did it go? Well, here's the graph

2000 hands
      26.18 PtBB/100
      76.54 PtBB/hour
      15.31 $/hour (lol)

Holy shit, what the hell? Well, as you can see, I'm running hotter than I've ever done before, it's pretty crazy, and I feel great. I have no idea how it's going so well, I'm just playing the way I feel is right (with a lot of SH guidance from hasenbraten and tribun videos of course) and the money is falling in my lap.

I realise of course that 2k hands is a *very* small samplesize, so there's no need to tell me that. Let me keep my confidence :tongue:

The Tourney
      Wait.. did I mention a tourney? Well, I think I did, and I kept running hot in that one aswell. I had to wait *really* long for my first premium hand, but that doubled through. Then I won some really bs hand where I had stealraised pfr with QJ and got 2 callers, flop came AA 10, I thought it was a good flop to c-bet on so I did. One guy thought it over and then raised me really small. I had seen this guy make some moves earlier and thought it was a good time to make a move myself considering how much I had invested, I didn't think he had an ace and even if he did I still had 4 outs. Suffice to say, he had the ace... and I rivered my 4-outer for a very comfortable stack.

Later, on the bubble or close to it (4 people left), I was faced with a really tough decision.. I thought it over for about 40 seconds I think. Here's the scenario:
      I was 2nd chipleader at my table, got TT in UTG and raised it up. The chipleader then right away shoves over the top of me from BU (yes, shoves with like 60bb). I took my time, but decided that I was playing for the win and that these are just the situations I need to be brave and stick it in in. He could of course very well be on an overpair, but I felt he was an aggressive player who would do this with overcards aswell. Here's the hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $5.00+$0.50 Tournament, 400/800 Blinds 75 Ante (9 handed)
      [color:#C00000]Hero (UTG) (t28484)[/color]
      [color:#C00000]Button (t72023)[/color]

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 10, 10
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets t3200[/color], [color:#666666]5 folds[/color], [color:#CC3333]Button raises to t71948 (All-In)[/color], [color:#666666]2 folds[/color], Hero calls t25209 (All-In)

Flop: (t58693) 9, K, Q [color:#009B00](2 players, 2 all-in)[/color]

Turn: (t58693) 8 [color:#009B00](2 players, 2 all-in)[/color]

River: (t58693) J [color:#009B00](2 players, 2 all-in)[/color]

Total pot: t58693

Button had Q, A (one pair, Queens).
      Hero had 10, 10 (straight, King high).
      Outcome: Hero won t58693

What a hand... well, to be fair, I did have an edge preflop :)

I went on to play tight but take my chances, and those chances led me to lose 2 flips trying to knock out some lower stacks (my pps vs their overcards), which crippled me, and then led me to lose another flip (my overcards vs his pp) to be knocked out as 374/5418, giving me $16.26. Although I had a top 30 stack for a while there, I don't regret my decisions, and I'm very satisfied with the result. In the past I've let a big stack like that blind away to being a mid stack and not winning much more than now, whereas my play yesterday could've taken me far, had I won some more flips.

End of session 27/2-28/2 :
      Bankroll: $490 - $610
      Profits: +$120
    • slikec
      Man play SH as it looks you know how to take money from those fishes at NL10. I swithed to SH just one month ago i made last month 11$ per hour mostly at NL10 also thx to hasenbraten and few other SH movies ;)
    • Fongie
      Originally posted by slikec
      Man play SH as it looks you know how to take money from those fishes at NL10.
      That is my intention :D
      Man, you sustained $11 an hour for a whole month? How many tables do you play? :P
    • TheBrood
      Ill be reading this blog =)
    • slikec
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Originally posted by slikec
      Man play SH as it looks you know how to take money from those fishes at NL10.
      That is my intention :D
      Man, you sustained $11 an hour for a whole month? How many tables do you play? :P
      I played 100-110hours and i play between 6-12 tables depends on network i play cause on Cake getting even 6 good tables is hard most of the time. But i also play NL20 and if there is good FR table and lack of SH i also play there.
    • Fongie
      slikec - Hm, alright. Seems a little bit undisciplined (also my thoughts after reading your blog :P ), but if it works that's good for you :)

Brood - thanks, I've read yours aswell - secretly :P
    • Fongie

Well, sat down for another session today. Pretty short one, as will this post be. It didn't go as well as the last few days, but I didn't expect it to. Down 2 stacks is still ok, was a pretty swingy day as the graph shows. One stupid move comes to mind, actually I'll post that hand just to make it hurt even more... gotta stop playing with the GF in my lap, its -EV :D

Considering some set over set situations and preflop all ins where I was ahead and lost, I didn't do that badly in the end.

500 hands
      -24.3 PtBB/100
      -62.7 PtBB/hour
      -12.5 $/hour

Idiot-hand of the Day
      Hero (MP) ($14.80)
      SB ($13.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, K
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.40, 1 fold, SB calls $0.35, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.90) A, Q, K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.10) 10 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.50, SB calls $1.50

River: ($5.10) K (2 players)
      SB bets $1.20, Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $10.75 (All-In), Hero calls $7.75

Total pot: $26.60 | Rake: $1.30

SB had A, K (full house, Kings over Aces).
      Hero mucked J, K (straight, Ace high).
      Outcome: SB won $25.30

What the hell was I thinking? Should've just called the smaaall river bet and be in so much less pain, I have no idea how this happened *sigh*
      (after looking at it again)
      OH MY GOD I SUCK I don't even think I realised there was like nothing I could beat, just tie with a straight. Gaaahhhh

End of session 1/3 :
      Bankroll: $610 - $589
      Profits: -$21
    • Fongie
      My first goal achieved! :tongue: silver once again.

By the way, the fact that half my losses yesterday was to that stupid hand ^ still hurts. HURTS
    • TheBrood
      imo learning has to cost you some money at some point, and Im sure you learned something here =)

Dont worry about it, just concentrate on not doing that again
    • Fongie

I seem to be getting some play in on weekdays afterall. Played 500 hands before fencing today, it went pretty well. Started out so-so but finished pretty good. Seems there are still donkeys on before dinner on a tuesday, but I also had more regulars on my tables (noticeably 2 who were on two of my tables). They were being kind of annoying, I will need to watch some more videos of how the coaches deal with regulars.
      I felt the tables were at least much more tight today than on friday/saturday (no surprise there). I think I handled that pretty well with my 50% ATS :D despite some annoying guy who 3bet 40% and had BB when I had BU, so I had to play tight from BU on that table.

On the whole, good result.

End of session 3/3 :
      Bankroll: $589 - $605
      Profits: +$16.6

420 hands
      +19.9 PtBB/100
      +76.62 PtBB/hour
      +3.98 $/hour

Leak of the Day
      Playing big unpaired hands that I 3bet but don't hit after flop. Well, maybe not leak, but they've been my biggest losses of the day. Both out of position and in position, after the 3-bet - call I find the pot way too large to make a cbet on, unimproved. Especially since the flops tend to be lowish, and I easily can put villain on a pair that he won't let go of.
      Conclusion: Maybe not a leak afterall, but worth posting a few hands to make sure.

On a sidenote, yesterday I attended tribun's hand evaluation coaching. It was good, not only the evaluations themselves, but also making fun of how weak tribun is. All in all, very enjoyable :D

See if I get some hands in tomorrow, I doubt it since I work pretty late and then have fencing again. Might get in something like I did today if I feel in the mood :)
    • Fongie

Didn't have time to update the blog on thursday, but I played a small session. It was going well until I lost a big hand while I was blinding out (KK) and ended up one stack down. Tilted off at fencing :P

On friday I started off by watching 2 or 3 SH videos here on PS. Ty hasenbraten and Tribun :)
      Then I played a big session (for me). Very swingy, but ended up in going very well. Won my biggest hand I think, stacked him off for $15. Also, I made my first ever big riverbluff, which succeeded and I'm very happy with it. I put villain on a small overpair which he didnt want to let go (he was thinking a lot), and I decided to 3rd barrel it since I was preflop aggressor and he had to give me credit then, which he did after using up almost his entire timebank.. exciting!! (I had JTo :D )
      After an hour or so I had worked myself into sitting in position on fishes on all my tables, and this absolutely worked to my advantage although fish can be very lucky sometimes ;) so overall I'm happy with my table selection.

End of session 5/3-6/3 :
      Bankroll: $605 - $627
      Profits: +$21.7

1600 hands
      +7.46 PtBB/100
      +25.62 PtBB/hour
      +5.12 $/hour

Improvement of the Day
      - Playing against regulars. I'm seeing more and more of some people, and I think I'm improving in playing against them.
      - Taking live notes. I played with notepad open on friday, and noted down every hand I wasn't sure of, to make it easier to post them afterwards. Good! Now I just have to go post em all too :)

Leaks of the Day
      - Playing against regulars. That's right, I still have some problems playing against them, especially if they're floaty (if such a thing exists on NL10 :P ).
      - Playing against shorties. I played some hands today where I didn't know what to do. I will post these hands.
    • Fongie

Today's post is a short one. Weekend went great, didn't play on sunday but did play today which ended up very well with +$30. The session stats are saturday-monday, and include a few hands I played on friday night.

On another note, I have completed another goal! Yep, it is the post-hands one. I've been very involved lately in the hand judging forum, both in other people's hands and with posting my own. Taking notes while playing really helps. GJ me!

[x]Make sure I make reviewing sessions and posting hands a habit

End of session 7/3-9/3 :
      Bankroll: $627 - $674
      Profits: +$47

+23.91 PtBB/100
      +66.3 PtBB/hour
      +13.26 $/hour

In conclusion: Still running awfully hot. Wtf? :D
    • Fongie

Started off pretty late today, because losing a match in a certain game put me on tilt I felt, so had to calm down first :P
      At first it didn't seem to have helped since I donked off a lot of money to some guy who felt it was a good idea to call my pfr with Q4s, donk out the flop with bottom pair and then hit 2pair on the turn which, oh, by the way, gave me top pair (KQ).
      After that and some other stupid hand I was about 1,5 stack down. Why do I always start out like that? Oh well, after that I kind of pulled myself together and made a nice little recovery and finished up 1,5 stack instead.

I am considering renaming this blog to "The Fongienator Steamrolls NL10" to get some readers :D There, now I deserve a downswing :tongue:

Next weekend I'll post some overview graphs and results for the two first weeks.

End of session 10/3:
      Bankroll: $674-$687
      Profits: +$13

230 hands
      +26.6 PtBB/100
      +72.9 PtBB/hour
      +14.6 $/hour
    • Fongie
      Well I had a hard time today, KK got stacked by BS A¤=(&/!¤(&!¤)=(&!#)(&!#)(&!#)(&#!)(&!¤)(&%!)(&)(!&)(!&)(#&!# hands 3 times and AA 2 times. I finished 3 stacks down after about 2 hours. Didn't even feel I was playing that badly, I can only regret my decision on 1 of the hands (shouldve known the guy hit his set of 6es after calling my cbet on flop with nothing, hitting on the turn and open shoving. River gave me the 1card flush, but also gave him a full house). F this, I cba with any graph until the weekend.

Annoying hands:
      KK in a 3way pot, some guy donk/brokes with top pair (8) against me and rivers trips
      AA against unknown, all in before flop for 150bb he flops a straight with 53s
      KK in 3way pot against 2, cbet gets raised by random dude with A7s (Ahigh+gutshot) who gets his ace on the turn

Current mood: TILT
    • Fongie
      BR up to $693, +3,5 stacks today. Hell yeah. Off to get drunk now and PARTAY

So much for yesterdays minor swing ;) A more thorough and proper post will follow tomorrow :D
    • Fongie

Hey again! Time for a proper post concerning my week(end), and something about my total progress (look at bottom for lifetime graph/stats).

As you may have gathered by my little previous notices, I had a swingy ass hell weekend. Sorry for swearing, but I went through some pretty mentally tough hands this weekend, where I wasn't sure wheither it was all my fault or just a swing. I've decided it's a bit of both, I especially started off some sessions not entirely mentally prepared for actually playing which lead to some spewy decisions. And there was also the opponents hitting some very (for me) costly 2 outers on the turn and river a few times, but I'm used to that kind of downswing from the SSS time so that doesn't bother me as much as pushing a turn I think I'm committed but still totally behind, or donking off too much money with trips low kicker.. Well, at any rate, I've finally learned to deal with having losing sessions in SH too ;) I was down to 620 dollars at one point, so I'm happy to be where I am now.

Leak of the Week
      This weeks "Leak of the Week" award winner is.... not letting go of overpairs/TPTKs against the right opponents. It sucks to say it, but I have to start being weaker :P

Improvement of the Week
      - Not overplaying weak 2-pairs.
      - Calculating equity. The new fixed limit article on calculating equity really helped me where I've been confused before, I recommend it to all NLHE players who want to learn!

End of session 11/3-15/3:
      Bankroll: $687-$660
      Profits: - $27

4337 hands
      -1.67 PtBB/100
      -5.56 PtBB/hour
      -1.11 $/hour

There's something weird with PT3 and this graph, it misses some of my losses. Oh well.

7.9 PtBB/100

Well, looking at that graph makes me happier after the weekends swings :) I'm especially happy that my Money won without Showdown is on the +. 7.9 PtBB/100 is certainly acceptable :P

VPIP 22.2 PFR 19
      WTSD 23 W$SD 58.1
      AF 5.4 3bet 6.9
      ATS 37,7 Cbet 88

I like my stats, especially ATS and WSD. I think I might need to cbet a little less from now on, I've felt it lately. Just a *little* less, try to find out which boards are good not to cbet on.

Well there you go, the first 10k hands on NL10. I'm feeling pretty good about SH now, but I think I will want to play 10k hands more before I think about moving up to NL25... I've promised myself to use a very conservative BRM, and actually I feel pretty comfortable playing for $10 dollar stacks (I was used to shoving it in pfr with SSS NL50 ya'know), and I'd need some getting used to playing for $25 at a time - and I want to be really comfortable in SH before I do that. So even if my bankroll COULD be used for NL25, I will want at least 50 stacks before I move up, to avoid any scared money problem.

But in conclusion, for my first 10k hands, I feel great. :)
    • Fongie

Played some before hand evaluation coaching and some after fencing today, and I'm back on track! Some nice hands, especially on the evening I felt that I didnt put myself in any tough spots + some nice 2nd barrels and I'm back on top of my graph!

Also attended the hand evaluation and got two of my hands from the early session evaluated, among them a hand with a river bluff that arose a heated discussion between hasen and Tribun wheither it was a good move or not (Tribun thinking it was a good move, and hasenbraten being against it). I can see hasenbratens point, but I think I would still make the same move again :D

In conclusion, I feel great - once again :]

End of session 16/3:
      Bankroll: $660-$694
      Profits: +$34

515 hands
      +28.5 PtBB/100
      +88 PtBB/hour
      +17.6 $/hour

Woho, my blog is now 2 pages! :p
    • kingdippy2008
      Hey Fongie, good, good blog!!!!
      Nice to see you are on top of your game again today :)
      Btw now your blog is 2 pages ;) or not!!! lmao

• Fongie
      No it's not ?( I could've sworn I edited that post after seeing it was on the 2nd page :tongue:

Anyway, hey dippy and thanks for reading and replying!!