Guess a hello is in order.

• MrMardyBum
      Hello my name is D and I'm a poker player?!

Meh, screw the standard greetings like, no one really gives a toss anyway, lets be honest.

I am however finding the site a great reference guide and I've been playing poker for about eight years, and like all the big headed arrogant beginners, I thought after I got my first big win that I was the next Doyle Brunson, so climbed through the small to high limits whenever I had maximum buyin for one table of the next limit never thinking of bankroll etc.

Got all the way up to playing in the $25/$50 limits (my best) and basically the big boys bust me, and this is what has been occuring over the last 8 years.
      So once again bust and not have the cash to put into a bankroll at the minute I looked for some non deposit bonus poker room as I knew they were about.

Anyway, I came across this site, and my view was "yeah, do the quiz, get the cash and off to the 0.25/0.50 tables I go". But after failing the quiz, I thought, "Maybe I should look into it a bit more". So looked through some of the articles, and I guess I know a lot about poker, but not a lot about my bankroll, and position was just a mute point for me tbh, if I a good hand preflop, I was in the mix simple as.

Anyway, I read the articles looked through the starting hand guides etc, and hit the BR management section. That's when it hit home, why I wasn't ever retaining any cash at poker.

So I've entered this site as a rogue player I guess, and by the time I got my $50 bonus (which was quick as hell when I passed my quiz, Thank you). and I am now playing with the money they give me, and I have to admit it's taking a lot of restraint not to go up faster than outlined, but I am sticking so tightly to the guidelines. I have to admit, I feel like I am earning my right to be a poker player, rather than just wanting the high stakes adreniline rush.

I am in profit, how much is my business to be fair. I am struggling a little with the small stack strategy to be honest, but I am sticking to it till I at least get the 10,000 required hands to move to the big stack strategy. So yeah that's it really... And just a quick thanks for the people who make this site possible.

Oh yeah and btw, I still have my ego, it's just waiting for my bankroll to match it. ;)

P.S I would offer advice to the beginners to take note of this story, but they won't listen.... I didn't.
  • 1 reply
    • SoyCD
      Hey MrMardyBum and thank you for the great introduction :)

One of the biggest truths in Poker is that no player - no matter how good - will never ever become successful over the longterm if he doesn't use bankroll management. Variance is simply too high to ignore - and sooner or later you will lose those aces or get 1-outered on the river by that lone card that could beat you.

If you don't have the monetary cushion to take those kind of blows you will quickly be broke and out of money.

Poker isn't just about reads, fancy play, and making the right bluffs at the right time. Its also about discipline, willingness to learn and a whole lot of dedication. As boku showed everyone - it is possible to go from $100 to $10,000 in just two weeks while sticking to bankroll management - if you know what you are doing (boku87 sick propbet: $100 into 10k in 15 days)

That is why we try to teach our members how to play and improve - because if they have learned all the essential basics - the money comes from itself.

Good luck building up a bankroll with which to switch to BSS and best of luck working on your game :)

I hope to see you become active around the forums as well - they are great for discussing strategy and improving your game!

Best regards