How optimally start a session?

• radyan111
      Hi everyone,

I've recently noticed that lots of my session look similiar - I open 4 tables like I always do, I start playing and I start losing. I lose one or two stacks and I feel I'm going to start tilting any moment. But usually I don't - I just start playing the best I can and I slowly start to win. It works and in the end the session ends with a profit as I'm able to overcome my losses with good play. But I don't want it to look like that. I feel that those early losses could be avoided. I don't make any stupid moves or at least I don't think I do early in the session. But maybe I'm more inclined to make marginal decisions or I don't "feel" the table as well as I should (that means I don't know the players and how they react to my actions - after some time I learn this, I'm able to adapt and thus make profit on them) or I'm just not focused enough. I don't know. Maybe it's just variance and it has nothing to do with my attitude?

Anyway, do you have some tips for me? How can I prepare for a session? What do you do to start playing on your best level right away? Any advice is appreciated.
  • 3 replies
    • darkonebg
      Well, since with me table selection takes at least 15-20 min Im feeling ready as soon as I finish it. In the meantime, I play extra tight, without making any moves both pre and postflop.Remember, a weak fold is better than an overplaying call or raise.
      As you gain stats and reads for the opponents, you should be able to determine their type and adjust your game.At a certain moment, all the moves come into play.
    • Berzerger
      I like watching a video or reading an article before starting a session. Or if I don't feel like learning, just watching a show like HSP or EPT to get myself in the mood. Before I begin, I usually do table selection. If not enough profitable tables are available at a given time, I open up a few "back-up" low average pot tables and gradually start closing them when more good tables have a seat open. That usually takes 10-15 minutes, more than enough to get your concentration for the game.
    • batmanbatmanbatman
      I have exactly the same problem. For more than 2 weeks I basically start the session on minus 1 to 5 buy-ins. I decided that I will consider that I have minus 5 buy-ins before I sit at the computer as I am now convinced that I play my A game when I am on minus.

I will let you know if it works in few days.