Yax vs Dokkey (+ chip tricks)

• yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      After finishing my first poker related challenge I decided to open a blog which won't end when achieving my goal. This blog will be full of challenges and I'll do my best to complete every single one of them.

Name: Milan
      Playing Nicks: yaxkukmian (Titan), yax3 (Mansion)
      Favourite poker nick for me: Dokkey (friend gave it to me when I was playing bad but despite that still winning the money)
      Game: Texas Holdem NL - SSS
      Limits: NL2 - NL100
      Style: TAG and LAG (when I play as yax it's the first option but there are days when I play as dokkey and then it's the second option :D )
      Successes: $1000 challenge

[B][SIZE=20]MY CHALLENGES:[/SIZE][/B]

1) From $1089,76 to $6666 in 111111 hands ---> FAILED :f_frown:
      (started 1.5.2009, finished 17.6.2009)

I know it's not a good idea to set yourself money related goals but in this situation I think it's ok. I'll explain why in a minute. I could set goals in BB/100 but since I'm playing NL100 (and sometimes NL50) and hoping to play NL200, NL400 in the future I have no idea what would be good BB/100 to set for this limits.

I did some calculation from my first challenge and deductions are next:

- Played 25952 hands and earned $959,76 (including bonuses) => this means I was earning $0,04199 per hand (14913 out of all hands were played on NL100 that means it would be nice to maintain this winrate on). If you multiply 111111 hands with my winrate you get $4665,7 which is far from my final goal.

- I won't be able to play much more than I did until now so I'll have to improve my winrate (playing in chunks has advantages because you don't need to "get used" to particular limit over and over - I won't be able to play every day or even every week). During my challenge I'll have to switch from NL100 to NL200 and NL400 which could be painfull and definitely won't be as smooth as I wished.

PLAN:

1) I'm starting with NL100. I have 54BI at the moment.

2) Switching to NL200 when I reach 45BI for that limit (=$1800).

3) Switching to NL400 when I reach 55BI for that limit (=$4400).

Any bonuses I get will be included since I set $$$ goals so it wouldn't be logical to exclude them.

[SIZE=18]Starting BR: $1089,76[/SIZE]

17.6.2009 is the day when I decided to end this challenge. It's never good when a first attempt fails but I have no other choice but to finish it right here. I played about 8k hands and my final BR is $818. The reason for ending it so soon obviosly isn't the money it's just that I believe with my pace I could reach 111111 hands in about two years and that's too far future to be motivated enough. From now on I'll set my goals in that way they could be achieved in a shorter period of time - max. 6 months.

2) 3333 hands in 24 days with at least 3,33 BB/100 at NL100 ---> DONE! :s_cool:
      (started 17.6.09, finished 6.7.09)

When you read it like this it looks like a piece of cake. Ok, to be frank it's not one of the toughest challenges in the history but it's not as easy as it seems.

somebody: 3333 hands in 24 days? That's not even 140 hands per day. :f_mad:
      yax: That's true but...
      somebody: ...there's always a but. :f_confused:
      yax: As a matter of fact I won't be able to play every single day.
      somebody: Oh no, so you'll have to play massive 200 hands per day :f_eek:
      yax: I think there will be only 10 days in that period I will be able to play for hour or two.
      somebody: Ooooh, now I get it. :f_o:
      yax: And since it's summertime I probably won't be able to play at weekends.
      somebody: Nooo :f_cry:
      yax: Shut up, stupid fish.
      somebody: Your challenge is stupid :f_p:
      yax: How do you mean? 3,33 BB/100 is not so easy...
      somebody: What's with the numbers dude? You have serious problems.
      yax: Well I think it's interesting number and not only that...
      somebody: bla bla bla bla :f_biggrin:
      yax: why am I even trying? :s_mad:
      somebody: You're right I really don't care. :f_cool:
      yax: Then don't read it!
      somebody:I'm just kidding - good luck! :f_love:
      yax: Tnx. :s_grin:
      somebody: Tell me something. When you fail this one will you try to think of something easier? It will be hard but you can do it... :f_biggrin:
      yax: :s_confused:

@edit(6.7.09): 3381 hands in 20 days with 6,5 BB/100 playing only NL100.

yax: I've done it! :s_cool:
      somebody: Nice one :f_cool:
      yax: You again?
      somebody: What? I'm just happy for you.
      yax: Yeah, and?
      somebody: Nothing. Can't a player congratulate another player for his success? Congrats :f_love:
      yax: tnx :s_love:
      somebody: It's not yoghi's numbers but... :f_cool:
      yax: :s_confused:

3) 267 sngs in 18 days (starts at page 2)
      (started 11.9.2009, finished 27.9.2009) ---> DONE! :s_cool:

It's time for sng challenge. I love playing sngs but they were never profitable for me because I didn't take time to study deeper sng strategies. And I'm happy that finally opportunity appeared to play decent number of sngs (decent for me and my timetable).

I started this challenge with 13,43€ (approx. $19,50) at Titan. I'll be playing $1 sngs (non-turbo, because I like it on the safe side) which is not the best brm but I hope I have an edge on those players.

Plan:

1) Playing at least 15 sns per day (=>in 18 days I should play at least 270 sngs)

2) Study articles - not more than 1h/day

3) Work with icm player - up to 200 situation/day - and review it.

You may wonder why 267 sng...the reason is so banal (and stupid) but I'll write it anyway. I calculated how many titan points I need to become silver and after that I will be able to exchange my titan points for...for...$50 fort knox jackpot sng token! :f_biggrin:

@edit (27.9.)
      I really enjoyed this challenge! I expected I would spend more time training with ICM but I just couldn't find enough time for everything. It was very important for my sng foundation to go through ICM Light. After that I felt far more confident and that could be seen in my game and progress. I played 268 sngs so my challenge was successful and if I add my final br stands at 61,32€ you get the whole picture. :D

4) 359 sngs in 99 days with at least 15% ROI (starts at page 2)
      (started 1.10.2009, finished 22.12.09) ---> FAILED

After finishing first sng challenge I liked it so much I decided to proceed with sngs. My second sng challenge will be much more challenging. Since I don't have enough time for poker I have to adjust the challenge acording to my free time.

In this challenge I have to complete every of this objects:

1) play 359 $2 sngs in 99 days

359 of course isn't random number it comes from next calculation => this challenge starts on 1.10.09 and ends on 7.1.10; this means it lasts 3 months/14 weeks/99 days => 3 months is the first number, 5 comes from 14 weeks (1+4=5) and 9 comes from days (9+9=18=> 1+8=9)

2) ROI must be at least 15%

3) I will play at least 4950 ICM situations with at least 94% aswered correctly.

That means 50 ICM situations per day in average. 94% is really a challenge for me since my momentary percentage is 91%.

4) study basic, bronze, silver, gold sng articles

That's 39 articles = 289 pages of material.

If I had all the time in the world this four goals wouldn't be so hard to achieve but considering my schedule I know I won't be 100% at poker so this challenge should be very interesting.

My reward if I finish it successfully? I'll play $10 MTT no matter what my BR tells me :f_biggrin:

@edit (22.12.09)
      Played only about 180 sngs what is around 50% what was target number. ICM trainer is about 35% done and articles read about 30%. I'm definitely beating this limit but with so many things on my mind I don't enjoy playing poker...motivation is the main reason why this challenge is a total failure. I could easily finish 359 sngs in 2 months, I'm almost sure my roi is bigger than 15% for $2 sngs, reading the material was never a problem, the only problem would be achieving at least 94% at ICM which at the moment isn't reachable for my level of play.
      I'm not even in a mood to summarize my "achievements" of this challenge so I'm just say going to close this chapter with a full stop.
  • 48 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Double points attract so many players or to be more accurate :f_love: even I felt like a :s_cool:
      Amazing how many people played today. If Mansion had so many players every day I wouldn't be thinking about moving my money to another platform.
      Had few good beats in the beginning: TT-AA(straight), JJ-AA(flush), KJ-JT(JT flop,both all-in after flop,catching a K on the turn). Of course I lost few hands being preflop favourite but mostly I was on the winning side :D

I was getting very very good cards and except two misplayed hands I was realizing it well.

SB:
      $89,70
      Hero:
      $40,40
      BU:
      $60,23

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with T:club: , T:heart:
      Hero raises to $3,50, 4 folds, BU calls $3,50, SB calls $3,00, BB folds.

Two more hands to finish this table. Have to see the flop with this pair.

Flop: ($11,50) 4:spade: , 8:heart: , 7:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $8,50, BU folds, SB calls $8,50.

Ideal flop for my hand but not with so many players. Had to put some value.

Turn: ($28,50) 2:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn could be worse or not. Any overcard would save me a lot of money. But with three suits on the board I wanted to check the river too.

River: ($28,50) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $14,00, Hero calls $14,00.

1/2 pot bet is the strongest here. I was putting him on set of 7 or 8. I called him just for one reason. He tilted few hands before when we went all-in preflop and my TT beat his AA,caught a straight. Any overpair or even 9 beats me but his line wasn't the strongest so wanted to see.

Final Pot: $56,50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of tens (Tc Th)
      SB shows three of a kind, deuces (2d 2c)

SB wins with three of a kind, deuces (2d 2c)

Hero:
      $23,00
      MP2:
      $164,73

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , J:club:
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $2,00, 4 folds, Hero raises to $7,00, MP2 raises to $12,00, Hero raises to $23,00 (All-In), MP2 calls $11,00.

What kind of minirereraise is that? $12? Didn't want to see the flop because I was feeling as an underdog but I put in too much money to fold it.

Flop: ($46,50) 3:heart: , 9:heart: , K:spade:
      Turn: ($46,50) T:heart:
      River: ($46,50) 4:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $46,50

Hero shows a flush, jack high (Jh Jc)
      MP2 shows a pair of aces (Ad As)

Hero wins with a flush, jack high (Jh Jc)

Suckout of the day.

Hero:
      $21,50
      BU:
      $15,60

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:spade: , J:club:
      Hero raises to $4,00, 2 folds, BU raises to $15,60 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $11,60.

Flop: ($32,70) 3:spade: , Q:heart: , A:spade:
      Turn: ($32,70) J:diamond:
      River: ($32,70) A:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $32,70

Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of aces (Js Jc)
      BU shows a full-house, threes full of aces (3c 3d)

Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of aces (Js Jc)

This one is cool too :D

[SIZE=16]hands played: 857
      time playing: 160 min
      BB/100: 15,68
      profit: +$113,14 + $50 (bonus from Mansion) = +$163,14

BR: $1252,90[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Few hours after my post I opened Mansion by chance and saw few very good tables. I already won more than enough $$$ the previous day but I wanted to make good use of it - big mistake! Unfortunatelly I found and read quote stated below after my short and miserable session.

When you're winning, and you're very happy to be winning, and then you start to blow back some of your profit, and the urge to flee grabs hold of you, and all of sudden you'd really like to book a winner for the day - do it. Hit the door. Lock up the win.

What has happened is that your emotional risks are no longer in steps witch your financial risks. You and your money have become emotionally imbalanced.

Let's take it from the moment you get the idea to cash out and lock up the win, and project the future. There are three main things that can happen:

* You quit right now, a winner. We have established as a given that you'll be happy. We will call the amount of hapiness you feel X.
      * You continue to play and you win some more money before quitting. You will be happier than X, but not all that much happier. You'll probably be around one-fifth X to one-tenth X happier.
      * You continue to play and end up losing for the day. No more X for you. Nothing but Y,Y,Y.

When you're winning, and you reach a point in the session when hapiness you will gain by winning more money will be much less than the pain you will endure if you lose, quit. Away from the table you can examine how and why this imbalance occurs. Meanwhile, learn to trust the quitting voice, and to react without question.

So true isn't it?

MP2:
      $81,95
      Hero:
      $45,00

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , 5:diamond:
      4 folds, MP2 raises to $3,00, MP3 folds, Hero calls $3,00, 3 folds.

It's ok to try this kind of hands from time to time but definitely not when you're losing hand after hand.

Flop: ($7,50) J:club: , K:diamond: , A:club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($7,50) 8:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $3,75, Hero calls $3,75.

River: ($15,00) Q:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $7,50, Hero calls $7,50.

This shold be easy fold = any T and almost any A beats me...

Final Pot: $30,00

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ad 5d)
      MP2 shows two pairs, kings and queens (Kh Qd)

MP2 wins with two pairs, kings and queens (Kh Qd)

SB:
      $119,55
      Hero:
      $47,00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 4:club:
      6 folds, SB raises to $4,00, Hero calls $3,00.

Very loose player. Was thinking of reraising but when everything is against you that's not the easiest thing to do.

Flop: ($8,00) A:spade: , 7:diamond: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4,00, SB raises to $18,00, Hero calls $14,00.

His massive reraise was fishy I knew he hasn't got A, maybe some 73 or flushdraw.

Turn: ($44,00) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Crap!

River: ($44,00) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $22,00, Hero calls $22,00.

Easy fold. But not for me obviously.

Final Pot: $88,00

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac 4c)
      SB shows a flush, ace high (8s 5s)

SB wins with a flush, ace high (8s 5s)

Hero:
      $63,60
      CO:
      $106,40

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $4,00, 2 folds, CO calls $4,00, 3 folds.

Preflop action is ok.

Flop: ($9,50) T:club: , 6:club: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $6,00, Hero raises to $17,00, CO raises to $60,50, Hero folds.

I have made hand so I check-raise...wait the minute, this isn't made hand is it?

Final Pot: $87,00

UTG1:
      $73,63
      Hero:
      $21,65

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:diamond: , Q:club:
      UTG1 calls $1,00, 5 folds, Hero raises to $5,00, 2 folds, UTG1 calls $4,00.

Flop: ($11,50) J:heart: , 7:spade: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $7,00, UTG1 raises to $68,63 (All-In), Hero raises to $16,65 (All-In).

Turn: ($96,78) J:club:
      River: ($96,78) 6:heart: (1 players)

Classic one. When it's going it's going...

Final Pot: $96,78

Hero shows two pairs, queens and jacks (Qd Qc)
      UTG1 shows a flush, ace high (Ah 5h)

UTG1 wins with a flush, ace high (Ah 5h)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , J:heart:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $1,00, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $5,00, 2 folds, BB calls $4,00, MP2 calls $4,00.

Raising?

Flop: ($15,50) 8:club: , 4:club: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $10,00, BB calls $10,00, MP2 folds.

Contibetting against two? gg

Turn: ($35,50) 2:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $35,00 (All-In), Hero folds.

No all-in call? Surprise surprise.

Final Pot: $70,50

I found another interesting view when to quit when ahead -> (Brood's quote)Other reasons imo to quit while ahead:
      - You've played quite a bit and are slowly getting tired.
      - You are deep stacked and not comfortable playing with so many BB.
      - You are playing scared money with your winnings.
      - Fish is gone, Reg has taken his place.
      - You don't have position on the Regs or the Fish.
      - You have trouble copying with variance.
      - You get unmotivated pretty easy by a losing session.
      - You have started to play questionable hands, just because your stack "can handle it".
      - Your winnings are tilting you.
      - You start thinking the regs are bluffing you.

Out of his 10 statements I could confirm 8 analyzing my last session :f_eek:

Notes for me:
      - don't play just because you see good tables
      - don't play 4 50bb tables because you're (your concentration) not ready for it yet
      - playing at 2am is stupid, don't do it

[SIZE=16]hands played: 364
      time playing: 60 min
      profit: -$139,22

BR: $1113,68[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Another short session to get my confidence back. I was in a gambling mood again and didn't want to go broke...so I ended my day - that's a discipline a didn't have a year ago :D

UTG:
      $99,40
      UTG1:
      $118,63
      CO:
      $100,00
      Hero:
      $48,80

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:heart: , Q:spade: . CO posts a blind of $1,00.
      UTG calls $1,00, UTG1 calls $1,00, 4 folds, CO checks, Hero raises to $7,00, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $6,00, CO folds.

Flop: ($17,50) 3:club: , K:club: , T:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Wanted to give myself a chance to hit something. Contibet would be better but check-raise was in the air from utg1.

Turn: ($17,50) 9:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $14,00, Hero calls $14,00.

I knew he hit something but I was gambling again...

River: ($45,50) J:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $97,63 (All-In), Hero raises to $27,80 (All-In).

And this time it paid off :D

Final Pot: $170,93

Hero shows a straight, ace high (Ah Qs)
      UTG1 shows two pairs, tens and nines (Td 9d)

Hero wins with a straight, ace high (Ah Qs)

Hero:
      $43,00
      UTG2:
      $71,30

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      UTG2 raises to $3,00, 6 folds, Hero raises to $9,00, UTG2 calls $6,00.

Utg has to have something so I was building a pot.

Flop: ($18,50) Q:heart: , 4:heart: , A:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $6,00, Hero calls $6,00.

My first thought was check-raise but I thought it's better to see the turn. (Looking back that's probably not a good decision because I gave him a chance to see the turn almost for free).

Turn: ($30,50) 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $11,00, Hero calls $11,00.

Third suit came out and in this moment there were only two hands beating me - AKs and AQ. I didn't reraise all-in thought probably that would be the best line.

River: ($52,50) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $17,00 (All-In), UTG2 calls $17,00.

Pot was big enough :P time for shove...

Final Pot: $86,50

Hero shows three of a kind, aces (Ad As)
      UTG2 shows a pair of aces (Ah Kc)

Hero wins with three of a kind, aces (Ad As)

I don't advise playing aces like that but sometimes you have to mix it up.

[SIZE=16]hands played: 857
      time playing: 40 min
      profit: +$94,05

BR: $1207,73[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      It's so not funny I almost laughed. :f_biggrin: Today I wanted to try BSS (50bb to be exact) and I did...
      I was playing badly but cards were coming against me and the worst thing was I couldn't stop.
      I double up and my KK run into AA. My top pairs were beaten by backdoor flush, My A high flush by full-house, overpairs by everything, two pairs by running straight cards,...and that's not it, of course I played like a complete donkey...

I would post hands but I'm having problems with elephant so I can't.

First impression would be :f_cry: but I'm actually happy this happened because this helped me realise that I don't have what it takes. I'll withdraw my funds and find something useful to do in life.

[SIZE=16]hands played: ???(elephant doesn't say but around 1000)
      time playing: 230 min
      profit: -$362,45

BR: $845,28[/SIZE]

I'm not one of those crybabies who loses a session and decides to quit poker because everything is against me. I'm not ready to dedicate my time and energy only to poker and result is that I don't progress at all. I hate that feeling so I won't do it anymore. This blog will be here as a reminder not to try again...after I withdraw my money I will delete this blog.

Take care guys
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Dude ... all I can say is (and this is literally coming JUST AFTER I watched Tropic Thunder!!!!) WHAT THE FUCK?!

I mean ... OK the hands that u've showed here are ... and even ur stack is ... but then u got something going for u even if u don't see it. Now don't get ur hopes up to high yet, not really sure what it is ... but IMHO IF u knuckled down and IF u started to pay more attention to the game and IF u tried really reeeeeeeeeaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyy RRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY hard ... I still think YOU (no not someone else, I've seen many blogs and I still think many ppl won't be able to do it) COULD MAYBE IF U tried REALLY hard make it in this game. Now as I said don't go asking me what it is ... but my instinct (and I don't rely on this when playing poker but I do when I make certain other decisions in life) tells me that somewhere in there u have what it takes.

How ur gonna use that ... ur call. BUT FOR HEAVENS SAKE PLEASE! Make sure u will be comfortable with the decisions u make! End of the day, wining player, losing player, if u can't live with the choices u made ... go grind in a mine.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Atoks, tnx for yor support. I appreciate it very much and it means a lot to me.

The thing is I don't doubt that I can win this $360 and another $1000 or two on top of that. Don't want to be overbearing but I really know I can do it because I came from $50 to +$1000 two times already and that's not a coincidence. The only question is: Is it worth it considering time invested?

You found my weak spot :evil: I really invested a lot of time in poker (much more than average rookie player) and don't want to finish it this way. On the other hand I'm realistic and rational. For few $$ per month I'm not sure whether it's worth it. For time invested definitely not! But ok, I didn't start playing poker for money (in the beginning maybe when I wanted to play with Ivey, Negreanu and company). When started playing NL100 I realized how much I have to learn about poker to be considered a solid player.

I'm taking a month off. After that I'll deposit $300 to use the deposit bonus it would be a waste not to clear it. After that I'll exchange my Mansion points for another $$$ bonus. From todays spot after withdrawing that's the end of my poker road. I couldn't look myself into a mirror not finishing it as it should be. I'm aware that it could be just a temporarily stop in my poker career but from todays point of view (thinking with clear head after stupid tilt and few bad beats from my last session) - that's the end for dokkey...

Have a nice day everyone and good luck!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Read this wisdom

After you read it please realize you have a life time.

The huge majority of people who start with something new will not be that great at it at first. It takes time and practice etc. Poker is the same. Just because you lost a lot now does not mean you will lose a lot all the time. You will become better. It is just very very important that you do not destroy your roll while trying to learn.

Some days... I play so terrible... I have no clue why I do the moves I do and just get stacked faster then you can say fish (like today, going broke with AJ on A high board after raise by villain on turn :f_mad: ). But I still don't give up on it because I am improving.

Don't give up man.. just move down in stakes. You goto start from the bottom. You cannot play SSS, make 2,000$ or so and then try BSS on NL50 or something like that. You goto learn BSS from low levels at first and then see how good you beat these levels. If they are no problem for you, you can move up till you get in trouble. Your loss shows me you tried to play BSS at a much to high level.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      You cannot play SSS, make 2,000$ or so and then try BSS on NL50 or something like that. You goto learn BSS from low levels at first and then see how good you beat these levels. If they are no problem for you, you can move up till you get in trouble. Your loss shows me you tried to play BSS at a much to high level.
      QFT

No offence mate, but SSS is a no-brainer compared to BSS, you can't just switch to BSS on your current limit and expect to win. NL100 is a limit where many people make a living, you need tons of experience to survive there playing BSS. Besides, even if you were a NL100 regular, 12BI is simply not enough. You made a mistake BRM-wise by sitting down with more than 20bb, and you got punished for that.

But is it really bad enough to quit poker? You lost less than 1/3rd of your roll. I lost over $300 in a SnG session once, 14BI down, BR down to $600 in one night. Built it all the way back up, took me two weeks but the profit came. No need to quit just because you lost big once. Hell, look at high stakes players, they lose millions in a matter of weeks, but build it all back up, dollar by dollar. Someone who can earn over $1k is capable of playing profitably. If you would like to play BSS that much, stick to BRM, watch videos, read articles, stick to BRM, visit coachings, post hands and stick to BRM. If you like SSS better, play it. It got you to $1k2, didn't it?

You passed the $845 mark already on your way up, shouldn't take too long to get back on track and booking more winnings like you planned earlier. Unless you already mentally decided that you'll keep having such sessions until the end of your career, but that's up to you to decide :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello yaxkukmian,

I am somewhat confused! After reading your latest post & your demotivation despite putting a lot of work into your game I went ahead and read all the previous ones... There I found a lot of posts with hands in which you were playing quite loose with a 50 BB stack!?! This is a major leak that shouldn't happen to player with a good knowledge of SSS / BSS strategy.

This is a graph of the profitability vs. stack ratio which reaches its minimum at 50 BB (the worst amount to play with essentially). As such this midstack strategy or playing loosely with a doubled up stack is pretty much the worst thing you can do to your bankroll.

There is a big difference between SSS and BSS and it takes a lot of work to go from one to the other. If you want to try BSS don't start at NL50 -> go to NL10 or NL25 at the most and work your way up from there.

Just because you lost a few hundred bucks doesn't mean you "don't have what it takes". Everyone can work on their discipline - and that is what poker is all about at the end of the day (although I know that mindnumbingly horrible demotivating feeling after having lost a good part of your bankroll)

I recommend this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/135/

It should put things into perspective a bit. Everyone can make it if they don't let their own tendencies get the best of themselves (as confusing as that sounds).

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Of course I played over my bankroll. Of course it's hard starting BSS (or shall we rather call it midstack) with NL100. But is that an excuse? Definitely not. It's stupidity.

Dragar...
      Read your link and I know I have problems concerning my br but until now I was able to go against myself and my desire to play poker without brm. It was hard and when I finally thought I understand why is brm important. And then I let out the beast who ate my deservedly earned br. It's not about money it's just dissapointing and frustrating.

Berzerger...
      I know SSS is no brainer but until now I didn't give a damn. I just played and my roll kept growing - win win situation.

SoyCD...
      I read long ago that 50BB is the least optimal strategy. I knew that but my "argument" was: I'm still not ready for bss and I'll try with middle-stack to test the field. It's stupid and even I can't understand it because I made goals and my strategy reaching this goals were quite clear.

I know that wasn't a downswing just pure stupidity but making this stupid play after 80k played hands is something beyond me and my understanding. I also know that in poker (and everything else in life) there are bad and good days, worse and very good, disastrous and exceptional days... It's just that this time something is different I can't tell what it is but definitely something is.

I hate whining people who pity themselves and hate it even more when I realize that I'm whining over fucking $300 which I usually win in 7k hands playing my normal game. I wouldn't be worried in normal circumstances - I would take a break, read bronze articles and few silver ones, watch some videos again and I would be playing my A game again. Fucking whining crybaby...

Tnx for all your words, thoughts and support guys :D
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Just lost $300 myself if it's any consolation. I hope you decide to continue, but I respect your decision if you don't.

Even just looking only at PS players, objectively speaking, most of us don't have what it takes to make really serious money at the game (when compared to what we could earn per hour on other pursuits). Certainly that's the case with me.

But, on the other hand, I think you can only come to the decision to give up playing once you are in a neutral spot. It's hard to make rational, hard-headed decisions when we are either doing unusually well or unusually badly. Wait a while, until the pain of losing has subsided, and then reevaluate with a clear head.

Take care,
      tim
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      After a week off I wanted to give poker last chance. :D To be sincere I came back to achieve 2k mcp points to maintain pro level. :f_p:

It started badly, continued even worse and finished...yep the same way. The next day I played again (didn't even review my hands from the first day) and I stopped after few suckouts. After that I decided to consult with mr. elephant who showed me one information and I immediately understood why I had so many bad beats - vpip=21! :f_confused:

Third day came and I was thinking: "I can't finish like this. Get a grip man and show me what you've got!" And I played quite good, stats were my usual winning one's but bad run continued...third day was actually full of suckouts :f_cry:

Today I collected my last few points out of 2k "needed". I decided it makes no sense to play like this so I'm withdrawing my last $600. Many would be thinking that's giving up and giving up is just for pussies. I achieved something I didn't expect a year ago and I'm proud of myself. Sure, it didn't finish like I wanted but still it was a nice year.

Last time I wrote here I was really sure of deleting this blog after my last post. Today I don't think that way. Two reasons:

1) as a warning for other players - this can happen despite brm because we're just humans and when bad period comes it can sweep away everything you've been building for ages - selfcontrol is the most important thing in poker, remember that.

2) I'm withdrawing my remaining money but someday I may return and the first place I look would be Pokerstrategy =)

Tnx PS... for articles, video, coaches, forum, tnx for everything. I hope you'll keep growing and evolving.

Take care everyone!

Milan :f_biggrin:
    • AndySk
      AndySk
      Bronze
      One fail and you quit = poor.
      U were playin 0.5/1 with less than 1k = stupidity
      U get a some beats and u complain = wtf ?
      U lose half a bankroll because of your style and u withdraw the rest ? = wtf^2?

How many hands did u play ? Does the 600$ mean a lot to u ? If I woulda make it from the starting 50$ I would not care and I woulda continue playin.
      I hope you will return as soon as possible, I dont think u can live without poker :s_o:
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Tnx Andy you made me laugh :D

Originally posted by AndySk
      One fail and you quit = poor.
      Would agree if that was true ;)
      Had many ups and downs and I'm not withdrawing money because I don't believe in myself. I'm just not ready to invest so much time in poker anymore.

U were playin 0.5/1 with less than 1k = stupidity
      I had aggressive brm from my early beginnings so that wasn't anything new for me.

U get a some beats and u complain = wtf ?
      That's one thing that I don't do - I don't cry over bad beats. Of course I post some bad beats and comment them properly. But I never complained that suckouts are killing me because I know there's only one person who I have to beat - myself.

U lose half a bankroll because of your style and u withdraw the rest ? = wtf^2?
      I must finish some other stuff and I believe it would be much easier if I had no option of playing poker. And after this last few days I'm absolutely sure that's the best option.

I hope you will return as soon as possible, I dont think u can live without poker :s_o:
      I hate your last sentence! I'm an addict! :f_confused: That's why I have to withdraw my money. Addicts can't admit to themselves their addicted and I'm no different. I just couldn't let finish it that way so I did some grinding on NL50 and also NL100 and I'm back on $800 :f_love:

I wasn't reviewing my hands so that's why I didn't update this blog. Besides, I'm withdrawing my money :] I can't play poker and finish my exams simultaneously, at least not as efficient as I wished. So that's the main reason. After that I believe I'll be back... :s_grin:
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze

It's been a while...no poker for a whole month. :f_eek: Wow, that's an achievement :D
      I can't say it was especially hard but also I must admit I couldn't resist not opening PS page ;)

Today I realized it's time to end my first challenge and to acknowledge it - it doesn't have much sense to continue this challenge so it has to be characterized as a failure. It was a hard decision because it was such an ambitious challenge and I'm sure I'm capable of completing it but not at the moment.

First challenge helped me understand how important is to set yourself goals which "can be seen" as I like to say. Travelers often say the most interesting things happen while they're traveling and not as one would expect at their final destination. Of course it's important where you want to come but also you must enjoy the road which leads you to your goal...

I don't see myself playing in the big league with top players but I can see myself beating bigger fishes than myself at NL100 so I will be setting myself smaller challenges which should hopefully improve my game and not kill my enjoyment for the game :f_love:

It's time for challenge 2 :f_biggrin:
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      First session of my second challenge was successful. Nothing worth mentioning happened but it's a long way and there will be many interesting situations of that I'm sure.

I enjoy playing poker again...It's a good feeling :f_cool:

[SIZE=16]hands played: 120
      time playing: 25 min
      profit: +$47,95

BR: $865,97[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Morning session started with AA losing to TT and 77 to AK. Being 40bb down in 11 hands is not the best start ever but ok. I managed to win something back during that short session but I was still in the minus after it.
      In the evening I opened Mansion and there they were - beautiful tables :D I had some luck and didn't play that bad so today was another green day. Few hands which are nothing special but I feel they deserve to be seen.

SB:
      $39,00
      Hero:
      $24,60
      MP2:
      $35,25

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , T:diamond:
      4 folds, MP2 calls $1,00, 3 folds, SB calls $0,50, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3,00) J:diamond: , Q:spade: , K:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets $2,00, SB calls $2,00, Hero raises to $8,00, MP2 calls $6,00, SB folds.

Mp2 was very aggressive and his range was unpredictable so I knew he's going to bet I just wanted to test my KT. Calling here is not the strongest move. I put him on AJ or AQ.

Turn: ($21,00) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $26,25 (All-In), Hero raises to $15,60 (All-In).

Now I have flush and straight draws and probably the best hand at the moment. His shove was quite weak and I was afraid only of AQd which was quite improbable for his range.

River: ($62,85) Q:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $62,85

Hero shows a flush, king high (Kd Td)
      MP2 shows a pair of queens (As 8s)

Hero wins with a flush, king high (Kd Td)

He was buying in 20bb and lost 3 or 4 buyins...

SB:
      $97,50
      Hero:
      $22,05
      BU:
      $28,28

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3:diamond: , 3:club:
      6 folds, Hero calls $1,00, BU raises to $3,00, SB calls $2,50, BB folds, Hero calls $2,00.

So much money in the pot...have to see the flop.

Flop: ($10,00) 8:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 3:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Dry flop but I was hoping bu had overpair.

Turn: ($10,00) A:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $6,00, BU calls $6,00, SB folds.

Me and my check-raise, now I got what I wanted. I'm inviting people to join me with their flush draws...

River: ($22,00) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Yep, those $10 on the flop looked nice in this spot. If he shoved I would have a hard time calling.

Final Pot: $22,00

Hero shows a flush, ace high (3d 3c)
      BU shows a pair of aces (Ac Jc)

Hero wins with a flush, ace high (3d 3c)

BB:
      $105,05
      Hero:
      $20,00

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:club: , 8:heart: . Hero posts a blind of $1,00.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $3,50, 2 folds, BB calls $2,50.

Joined the table from co and paid the blind.

Flop: ($7,50) Q:spade: , T:diamond: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4,50, BB calls $4,50.

Contibet failed so I was thinking of giving up.

Turn: ($16,50) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

I got few outs but betting here would mean commiting to the pot and I didn't want that.

River: ($16,50) 8:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $12,00 (All-In), BB folds.

He wouldn't check if he had something. I shoved from several reasons. He probably had busted flush draw or some low pair and I could represent so many hands that beat him. This shove would make his decision tougher if he had T. I usually shove when I have the nuts but from time to time I do this when bluffing...Didn't show it but must say it was tempting:)

Final Pot: $28,50

Hero shows a pair of eights (Jc 8h)

Hero wins with a pair of eights (Jc 8h)

[SIZE=16]hands played: 340
      time playing: 80 min
      profit: +$41,85

BR: $907,82[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Morning session started with AA losing to TT and 77 to AK. Being 40bb down in 11 hands is not the best start ever but ok. I managed to win something back during that short session but I was still in the minus after it.
      In the evening I opened Mansion and there they were - beautiful tables :D I had some luck and didn't play that bad so today was another green day. Few hands which are nothing special but I feel they deserve to be seen.

SB:
      $39,00
      Hero:
      $24,60
      MP2:
      $35,25

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , T:diamond:
      4 folds, MP2 calls $1,00, 3 folds, SB calls $0,50, Hero checks.

Flop: ($3,00) J:diamond: , Q:spade: , K:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets $2,00, SB calls $2,00, Hero raises to $8,00, MP2 calls $6,00, SB folds.

Mp2 was very aggressive and his range was unpredictable so I knew he's going to bet I just wanted to test my KT. Calling here is not the strongest move. I put him on AJ or AQ.

Turn: ($21,00) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $26,25 (All-In), Hero raises to $15,60 (All-In).

Now I have flush and straight draws and probably the best hand at the moment. His shove was quite weak and I was afraid only of AQd which was quite improbable for his range.

River: ($62,85) Q:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $62,85

Hero shows a flush, king high (Kd Td)
      MP2 shows a pair of queens (As 8s)

Hero wins with a flush, king high (Kd Td)

He was buying in 20bb and lost 3 or 4 buyins...

SB:
      $97,50
      Hero:
      $22,05
      BU:
      $28,28

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3:diamond: , 3:club:
      6 folds, Hero calls $1,00, BU raises to $3,00, SB calls $2,50, BB folds, Hero calls $2,00.

So much money in the pot...have to see the flop.

Flop: ($10,00) 8:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 3:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Dry flop but I was hoping bu had overpair.

Turn: ($10,00) A:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $6,00, BU calls $6,00, SB folds.

Me and my check-raise, now I got what I wanted. I'm inviting people to join me with their flush draws...

River: ($22,00) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Yep, those $10 on the flop looked nice in this spot. If he shoved I would have a hard time calling.

Final Pot: $22,00

Hero shows a flush, ace high (3d 3c)
      BU shows a pair of aces (Ac Jc)

Hero wins with a flush, ace high (3d 3c)

BB:
      $105,05
      Hero:
      $20,00

0,5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:club: , 8:heart: . Hero posts a blind of $1,00.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $3,50, 2 folds, BB calls $2,50.

Joined the table from co and paid the blind.

Flop: ($7,50) Q:spade: , T:diamond: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4,50, BB calls $4,50.

Contibet failed so I was thinking of giving up.

Turn: ($16,50) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

I got few outs but betting here would mean commiting to the pot and I didn't want that.

River: ($16,50) 8:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $12,00 (All-In), BB folds.

He wouldn't check if he had something. I shoved from several reasons. He probably had busted flush draw or some low pair and I could represent so many hands that beat him. This shove would make his decision tougher if he had T. I usually shove when I have the nuts but from time to time I do this when bluffing...Didn't show it but must say it was tempting:)

Final Pot: $28,50

Hero shows a pair of eights (Jc 8h)

Hero wins with a pair of eights (Jc 8h)

[SIZE=16]hands played: 340
      time playing: 80 min
      profit: +$41,85

BR: $907,82[/SIZE]
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Lately I haven't been playing much but here and there few hands were played. Since I wasn't reviewing my hands I also didn't find time to update my blog. I had some brutal suckouts in the beginning but today everything was given back :f_cool:

Graph of my last 9 sessions:

Now I know 3333 hands are going to be reached the question about 3,33BB/100 remains unanswered.

This is what mr. elephant says about my challenge so far:

[SIZE=16]hands played: 2023
      time playing: 450 min
      profit: -$53,38

BR: $854,44[/SIZE]

Days past (of 3rd challenge): 17/24

Total hands played: 74,5% (2483/3333)

10 more days and then...sea, sun, beach...can't wait :f_love: