HM manger Ok but elephant says 127.0.0.1

• w2bet
      w2bet
      Basic
      My 1st post at pokerstrategy.com , so let me start by saying Hi.

Hi
      Hello
      Howdy!

This site is fantastic. I have been playing for a couple of years, mostly tournaments and the odd bit of hold'em table games, without ever really being able to talk to other people about my game, or just the game. So it fantastic to find a site where I can learn and hopefully improve my game. The Articles on strategy and watching some pro's playing multi tables, is an education in its self. I cant wait till i call see the bronze, silver, and gold , diamond (?) level films.

I signed up about 10 days ago or so, and have now spent well over 15 hours installing, de-installing, deleting, and going a little crazy trying to get poker elephant to work on my PC (vista).

The shear amount of threads and people who have been in a similar situation posting kept me at it, because I know in the end I will get there.

My perserverance, did eventually get, PostgreSQL to install correctly, (anyone still having trouble here suggest you go here http://www.holdemmanager.net/setup/postgresSql.html as the forum has extensive help for this) unfortunately I just cannot get elephant to work. I have managed to install Hold'em Manager which does now work, it now has no problem accessing the database, ie there is no "Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1 error when running Hold'em.

Originally I could not get Hold'em to work because of this error, but did finally get there. Unfortunatly Elephant is still coming up with the Failed to establish a connecton to 127.0.0.1 Error.

As far as I know, if Hold'em can access the Database then elephant should be able to also (ie create its own database in postgreSQL.

In short, is there anyone tech'y who might know why this is ? or know a work-around ?

I have gone through all the procedures on Hold'ems website and in all the threads here, to see if I can get it to connect, and I am still stymied.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

p.s i have tried
      adding 127.0.0.1 to the host file
      adding exceptions to Windows defender, firewall, antivirus.
      Disabling (and uninstalling what i can) defender, anti virus, firewall completely, still no go.

I just dont get it! , how can one program get through and not the other....

I would love some help if anyone is able.

thank you all for reading/posting, any help appreciated.

w2bet

Helpful info ?
      Windows vista home premium
      Service Pack 1
      32 bit operating system
      Dell XPS 420 (3 months old)
      Running, Avast!
      all drivers and windows updates are good.
  • 12 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello w2bet,

First of all welcome to PokerStrategy.

As for your problem have you tried the suggestions in this thread

Solution for: "failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1' "

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • w2bet
      w2bet
      Basic
      Hi Steve,

Thank you for the swift reply, on a Sunday as well.

Yes I am familiar with that thread, no luck previously, but to show willing I just went through the whole thing again, still no luck. :(

PostgreSQL is setting up fine and I can access it via hold'em manager, its elephant that cannot connect. Not sure why

Any other suggestions would be wonderful, even if it was just you referring my query to someone else! or to another thread.Although belive me i have scanned all the threads here about this.

Many thanks
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Check the password and username HEM, changes it sometimes..... Goto Database management in HEM and there it will show you username and password.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello w2bet,

I'm sorry to hear that the recommendations in that thread didn't resolve your situation.

Have you tried deleting Elephant and then doing re-installation.

Also if you are using Vista are you running the program with admin rights as sometimes this has been known to cause an issue.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • sliggy
      sliggy
      Bronze
      You have to completely uninstall and remove postgresql and then reinstall it via elephant.

how to wipe postgresql:

- Uninstall from control panel.
      - manually delete the Program Files\Postgresql folders
      - open "run" and type cmd, press enter
      - run the command "net user postgres /delete"
      - reboot.
      - install again, as admin, with UAC off.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      i believe most problems have come because of vista, and the routes described in the thread not working with Vista OS.

-Jack
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello w2bet,

Have you de-installed PostGres according the instructions in this guide: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/home/752 ?

It has the steps for de-installing on a Vista system (which causes lots of problems in general :/)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • w2bet
      w2bet
      Basic
      Firstly thank you all for posting suggestions.

I have tried all of the above and am still stuck.

AUC is off, i have followed all the threads about de/installing postgreSQL and correctly installing it from Elephant, since it did not work i tried from hold'em manager and even from the postgresql web site as well. Running all programs as admin, adding exceptions for all related programs to defender/antivirus,firewalls...

Still no luck.

I am afraid my elephant licence will now expire in 3 days and i have never even got it to work. Shame really.

I even thought of de installing Vista in favour of xp just to get it to work. Unfortunately because support/dell.com does not have all the necessary drivers, and me,insufficient knowledge, i wont be able to do this. A friend told me its possible but really really hard to do.

So i guess im stuck unless anyone has any other suggestions.?

only thing i cant think of is to use a different tracker software, any suggestion or does anyone know one that does not require postgreSQL ?

Thank you all again for the support so far.

Will
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w2bet
      Firstly thank you all for posting suggestions.

I have tried all of the above and am still stuck.

AUC is off, i have followed all the threads about de/installing postgreSQL and correctly installing it from Elephant, since it did not work i tried from hold'em manager and even from the postgresql web site as well. Running all programs as admin, adding exceptions for all related programs to defender/antivirus,firewalls...

Still no luck.

I am afraid my elephant licence will now expire in 3 days and i have never even got it to work. Shame really.

I even thought of de installing Vista in favour of xp just to get it to work. Unfortunately because support/dell.com does not have all the necessary drivers, and me,insufficient knowledge, i wont be able to do this. A friend told me its possible but really really hard to do.

So i guess im stuck unless anyone has any other suggestions.?

only thing i cant think of is to use a different tracker software, any suggestion or does anyone know one that does not require postgreSQL ?

Thank you all again for the support so far.

Will
      Try HEM manager that usually sorts all the problems, also, do you have service pack 1 for vista? If not this IS THE PROBLEM if you do then you have to turn off the user account control settings, if you need help with this let me know I'll post a guide for you.

Danny
    • w2bet
      w2bet
      Basic
      Hi Danny,
      Thank you for posting.
      I have pokertracker 3 working, its set-up worked with no hitc hitches

I did try again to instal elephant, still no luck.
      I followed the un-installing postgres properly guide and installed from postgres files in elephant folder and it installs fine but still wont connect.

("failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1' "). Yes i have the user account Control settings turned off. Yes they were off when i re-installed elephant. All programs are set to run as admin.

Yes i have windows vista (home premium with service pack 1) or thats what it says when i look at the properties of my computer "system"

I just don't get it, how come, hold'em and PT3 can both work and connect to the postgres database and elephant cannot? Weird.

If there is any developer or admin of elephant out there willing to have a go i would happily set up a remote session? Coffee on me?

PT3 seems kind of limited, it does not work on titan were i am signing up with the help of poker statergy so im still hoping.

Any help would be much appriciated

Will
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi w2bet,

First of all concerning your starting capital - don't forget to send your ID information to security@pokerstrategy.com from the email address you signed up with.

On to your problem - here a very quick translation from a German FAQ

1.1. Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'

Attention: This error message usually comes right after being asked to create a new database!

Fixing it:

Close the Elephant before running through the following steps!

Schritt 1: Check the postgreSQL service
      In the start menu select "run" and confirm the dialogue after having entered "cmd".

The in the command line now run the "net start". This command lists all running services

a) If the entry PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 is in the list, please continue with Step 2.
      b) If the entry doesnt appear - continue with Step 3.

Schritt 2: Close the SQL Database service
      Since the service is running but not working correctly it needs to be re-started:

In der command line execute the following command net stop pgsql-8.3.

Schritt 3: Restart the Database
      Once the service is no longer active you can restart it in the following fashion:

In the command line execute the following command net start pgsql-8.3.

Attention:
      If the service cannot be started it means the database was not correctly installed. Go to the Elephant folder and run the file "postgresql-8.3.msi" (note down the username and password that you should use)!

Step 4: Control
      After running the command net start the service PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 should appear in the list.

Remark: Displayed data has been shortened

Schritt 5: REstart the Elephant
      When you restart the Elephant you will be asked to create a new database

In this dialog enter your username and password and select your existing database with the magnifying glass icon.
    • w2bet
      w2bet
      Basic
      Hi SoyCD,

Thank you for taking the time to translate that set of instructions.

Regarding registering my id and details. I have been avoiding doing this until I have elephant working. I have been playing for 3 years or so, without any database software, and now, I hope to start to use this when I start using poker strategy's' Stratergy, so I can track and improve my game.

Unfortunately the instructions did not help. The postgres service was running correctly (in the list) and I stopped it and restarted it (as instructed) then started elephant but i still get the same connection problem, when i press the Magnifying glass or the OK button.

If you have any other tip or tricks to get it going i would love to know!

I have spent an hour using google trtanslate on the german forumn trying to find a solution , and have not found anything else yet.

Seriuosly hoping there is a solution

thanks again for you help