TheLastNail-life as a poker plr

• TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      hi guys,

after couple of weeks of hesitation I finally decided to star my blog. Nice enough date to start finally, I guess. To kick things off I d just introduce myself briefly & talk abt the future most likely content of the blog.

I, Who am I?

I turned Michael Jordan (23yo) couple of weeks ago, and my current status is that I play poker fulltime for the living. I suspect word "professional" stems from "profession", so I should be a professional poker plr then, right? :D :heart: Seems a bit difficult to believe actually when looking at things in my life in retrospect, but I guess I need to somehow identify myself with this..

anyhow, shortly abt my former poker career: the date of my registration here is pretty much the day I learned the rules of the game. (NL, I never played anything else up to some recent tries of PLO for fun) Amusing to mention that I just got to know abt ps from a former schoolmate, who just uttered I ll get 50$ for free in here.. obv I was excited, got it, lost it, without seeing much point in ps in general :D .. It was in early August then, when I somehow roamed my way back in here & started to explore video coachings & articles.. to be honest, I only watched Hasenbraten's videos, I still had most of silver content articles unread up to the previous month :)

Anyway, I won 1$ at beginner's freeroll at Titan, where I was playing back then & was playing some SnGs with 0.1$ BI .. I made to sth like 20$ in some days with this homemade strategy: I was writing notes for ppl from each SnG on separate sheets & were trying to memorize the pages by colour marks to find ppl I was searching for more quickly.. so basically each time I played I had this 50+ A4 sheets with notes scribbled all over em.. u can imagine now, that playing 1 table at a time wasnt as boring as it was stressful :)

Ofc I didnt know one can multitable... and I liked to play as a blonde avatar at Titan, so I guess I got overexcited abt bigscreen tables.. I also didnt know one can write notes directly in the table screen..

Geeez.. this will be loooong.. ok I ll just skip some parts>

So now, this will be the 4th month I play poker for living.. In beginning of February I bough a new nb from my first winnings with better modem (i lost several hundreds on disconnections). I was playing NL50 back then, but I somehow felt that I must give this a shot, so I did. Actually, I interrupted studies at univ, but for reasons unrelated to poker (will explain later maybe) in October, so I had not very much to do anyways, esp that my 2y relationship ended :( and I also quit my ambitions as a chess player..

Actually I was only playing poker hiding where I could bcs nobody in my surrounding could really understand it, and I was in terrible depressions, not only from this, but I somehow got through, and later as started to earn more & more $$$, started to get the much needed support from my family. I am living with my father now, and each month I give my family a certain (for em pretty high for Slovak stand. of living) am. of $$$, so that I have better feeling that this is also beneficial for sb else then me & they have good feeling I am in big enough plusses I can afford to promote em.

Currently I play NL200FR, but will start NL400 this month, and SH & HU soon...

II, What is this blog going to be abt?

I d like it to be more abt life and lifestyle it brings me then abt the game itself.
      So I dont expect to analyse hands here or sth, I feel hand analysis forum is a good enough place for this..

I d be happy to fulfill at least some of these objectives in the blog: 1, inspire sb to pursue poker for living 2, get myself motivated to play more+better 3, have fun with stories of my (other ppls) lives 4, speculate abt the purpose of life

ok, this is it for now, 2moro I ll talk abt my pokerrelated goals & achievements sofar, and state some (maybe specific) goals for this month

hf, gl. also> any questions, comments warmly awaited :heart:

TheLastNail
  • 228 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Yay good to finally see you starting a blog here :)

I will of course follow it with interest! Crazy Slovak Power ftw!
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Great to see you blogging here now ;) We can be pro buddies!

Maybe you can teach me maxbet!
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      really nice and amusing first blog post sir! didnt know all that stuff. really had to laugh a lot, especially when reading this section :D :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by TheLastNail
      I was writing notes for ppl from each SnG on separate sheets & were trying to memorize the pages by colour marks to find ppl I was searching for more quickly.. so basically each time I played I had this 50+ A4 sheets with notes scribbled all over em.. u can imagine now, that playing 1 table at a time wasnt as boring as it was stressful :)

Ofc I didnt know one can multitable... and I liked to play as a blonde avatar at Titan, so I guess I got overexcited abt bigscreen tables.. I also didnt know one can write notes directly in the table screen..

we will definitely enhance your sh/hu skills when i'll visit u in summer!

gl at the tables and keep on blogging!
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      I will follow this blog for sure. I play NL100 Full ring as well and you hardly find FR players here on PS :P .

Keep up tha goodz!
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      hi guys, thx for first supportive comments,

@Twicet: deffo looking forw to that .. this summer will roccccck hard! :f_cool:

ok, I ll have a quick post in here before I go to gym.. (2moro I ll describe in short my lifestyle)

what I consider my best poker successes up to now?: well, I am actually proud that all I ever earned is basically from those 50$ from ps I ve received, although I lost it firstly, but then won 1$ back and improved, so I never needed to deposit anything ever from my personal money.. I also appreciate that my climb up the lims was pretty smooth & still managed to live from the $$$ + support family + starting to save mostly now.

ok, my general pokerrelated goal is the following: Earn as much as possible asap while living a life with rather high standards. I have certain specific numbers setup in my head, abt which I wont talk too much for now, but I want to get back to normal life, + finish uni later, so my aspirations are miles away from fe being one of the best poker plr in the world or challenge Durrrr or sth of this kind :) Ofc I want to enjoy the game as I can, but my general viewpoint is that poker is still just a rather meaningless game in perspective, no life & this is just some period of my life..

Geez, I have this friend who is bothering me so much at icq, asking all sorts of questions abt poker, I cannot finish this & concentrate, alw switching languages..

goals for this month:

1, improve my game + wr>15k, 2,retain my status at mansion + get some moneyzzz from their direct promos for this month (no special goals here).. MCP> 300k is +- unoffical goal, deffo > 252k, 3, i count that i ll have close to 30k or slightly more of ps points this month, so if i am in with a shout of sth like top 30 then I can grind a bit more in last 2-3 days, (obv the $$$ is not much of a goal here, but just to get BM asap & at the time be effective somehow) 4, if Opal isnt playing much I d gladly take that leadership in Eng com, but frankly I doubt this very much.. ahaaa.. and almost forgot> 5, want to become a coach here at ps, but dont know if this month, prolly just w8 to improve more

Ok, need to go to that gym now, get myself in some physical shape.. for specific reasons :D :heart: .. maybe talk abt this later on as well :)

cu guys later, gl!
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      hi guys, thx for first supportive comments,

@Twicet: deffo looking forw to that .. this summer will roccccck hard! :f_cool:

ok, my general pokerrelated goal is the following: Earn as much as possible asap while living a life with rather high standards. I have certain specific numbers setup in my head, abt which I wont talk too much for now, but I want to get back to normal life, + finish uni later, so my aspirations are miles away from fe being one of the best poker plr in the world or challenge Durrrr or sth of this kind :) Ofc I want to enjoy the game as I can, but my general viewpoint is that poker is still just a rather meaningless game in perspective, no life & this is just some period of my life..

Ok, need to go to that gym now, get myself in some physical shape.. for specific reasons :D :heart: .. maybe talk abt this later on as well :)
      1) definitely :f_cool:

2) like that attitude a lot. same here. i plan to win a specific amount and then start my pinky&brain plan :D we'll see how that plan works out ...

3) yeeeha. when is the next date? keep us updated on that "challenge" ;)
    • zivkoleo
      zivkoleo
      Bronze
      How much do you play on NL200 (26k SP a month) :)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Very nice!

Please tell everyone about your chess story. I think many of us don't have clue how (studying) poker is so much more easy compared to chess (at least what TheLastNail has lived through).
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      very nice at the beginning
      you are serious player
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      hi guys, thx for your interest!

I just came from gym, had shower, quick chat with some ppl at icq, had my lunch..

@Twicet: Things are moving ever so slightly, will see what happens, bad luck weather is a bit windy and cloudy these days in Svk, so inviting for an icecream would sound more like a sick joke than a romantic proposal ;)

@Zivkoleo: Last month i played 94k hands, basically from Feb I have an average around 100k/month, but first days I only played NL50 & some NL100 actually bcs there were some delays with depositing more & I had to send millions of docs verifying my identity u know that stuff.. also, iPoker rarely has enough NL200FR tables, so I am often forced to play some NL100 also.. in April actually only played "more" last few days, esp last 2 days.. abt 10-12h/day, but apart from that I rarely played more than 7/8h .. generally I play mostly when I feel like playing, I usually force myself only during fishy weekends and have days when I dont play at all or just few minutes.. fe this month I only played 2 sessions sofar (party time :heart:) , so will once again play some catch-up..

@Timukasr and all chess fans: Well yes, I was a former chess plr., but I actually started really very late & was just selftraining myself, which is sooo hard compared to all these little children who have many trainers.. I played for like almost 4 years (actually as a kid I played a bit also, but never trained) trying to improve, I got to a level performance of at my peak abt 2200, hovewer my recent FIDE was only 2042 afair.. the problem is that we dont have many FIDE tourneys in Svk, and i made a bad initial rtg and wasted my bigger coeficient on that.. anyhow.. i had national rtg almost 100 points higher most of the times..had some good results also with titled plrs usually at smaller tourneys.. but overall decided it was just too much of an unworthy work.. I had many days when I trained couple of h/day & many more when I spend whole day preparing for an opp + playing (4-6h preparation+ the same time for the game itself)

chess ultimately was one of most serious reasons for my previous rel. to crack, bcs all these weekends I played in leaugues & couldnt really devote time to the poor girl.. realized too late :( Anyhow, I dont play now for more than half a year and I dont think ever will, bcs chess is completely being destroyed by computers nowadays.. Its usually the more prepared plr who had analysed more with comp who wins the game, which sucks. And the other thing that sucks abt it is that ppl who are more exp just know how to play in order not to lose & come to boring endgame in which they ll try to exhaust the opposition to death by +- meaningless maneveurs, and I just hated losing after 12h of intense concentration bcs of some blunder caused by tiredness.. I alw felt like committing suicide d be just the best thing to do then :/

but it had 1 merit deffo: it just prepared me to sit at one place still and concentrate for longer times, so that comes rather handy now..

Fuh.. will try to play some now.. cya 2moro.. I ll describe my lifestyle & how different to normal biorythm sucks, how my eyes hate sunlight and how I recently got dark drapes into my room to fix it :D

yep: "I hate 2 things in life the most: light & people" :D :D :D (citing my former fellow chess colleague)

hf, gl!
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      My usual day: (CET timezone in here)

6/7AM - 1/2PM sleep (yes, I have changed biorythm solely for poker purposes, to get most of overseas mainstream of bad players, for more than 3months now :) .. used to be very bad, I couldnt actually get myself to sleep first month, was all the time tired, but then started to take pills for sleep, I think the name for the hormone is melatonin.. so that helped me quite a lot, now I have these drapes I ve mentioned, so not much problem with light, and I ofc use ear protection not to hear any sounds in flat or from outside..

2-6/7PM I do one of the following> go to town to buy sth,do w/e neccessary stuff, go to gym/ swimming, occasionally meet some ppl.. this is going to be more frequent now I guess :heart: :P .. , read a book rarely or have a look at tv, mostly some sport broadcasts..

7/8PM i usually am already at computer and roaming somewhere on the Internet, mostly poker related stuff, or chat with ppl, read news, etc...

usually around 10PM i start to play and play up to abt 4/5AM standardly and then before I go to sleep I once again just browse some net sites..

in between I do sometimes some housework, but not that much :)

In days to come I want to improve my efficiency, esp not to waste so much time on the Internet overall, and devote more time to my friends & reading more books, I like philosophical ones or encyclopedias..

that's it, just u have some basic notion, very tired now, d go to sleep a bit earlier now.. guess I ve overdone some gym excercises yesterday :)

2moro I ll try to explain hopefully some more what practical advantages/disadvantages this lifestyle brings me ..

cu ;)
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      nice start to a blog. :)
      Is it actually very profitable to stay up over night to play against the international fish? I've seen one other person do it from my city.
      I'm actually in the same boat as you actually. I steer towards watching hasenbratens videos also. He has a great way of teaching and I have learnt a lot from him.

Good luck on your journey!
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      Yesterday I forgot to post that I was actually practicing rave hard! Want to be a star of the night in Hamburg ofc! :heart: :s_cool:

Here is some instructional video I was following: geeez.. this will be crazzyyyyyyy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SItPGEsjLQ :D :D
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      good luck my friend.
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      Yesterday I forgot to post that I was actually practicing rave hard! Want to be a star of the night in Hamburg ofc! :heart: :s_cool:

Here is some instructional video I was following: geeez.. this will be crazzyyyyyyy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SItPGEsjLQ :D :D

muhahhaah funny youtube vid :D

if i join the bm party, i'll show you the the freekin' twicet dancefloor-and-stage rockin' style :D ... that's really crazy :s_cool:
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      thx guys for encouragement,

TwiceT u MUST be there! Better than Chernobyl's child? :) .. Looking forw to learn some moves, am an avid learner in this regard :) , hopefully at least during your visit if not in Hamburg;)

btw> today is most prolly the brightest day from the day of the break up with my ex (30th of Sept) .. the date was perfect.. 3h+ of strolling in the outskirts of our little town, chatting, having fun, ended with a hug :heart: ;) .. and she gave me 3 little cabbages from their garden.. was actually quite stunned of how she got the idea, but who cares, I couldnt deny ofc :)

oh geez, I feel so much power now :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: :D I should play like crazy these days...

gl every1!
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      cabbages? haha yeah.
      sounds like a nice date sir.

i dont wanna play against you now :s_biggrin: since u are full of super power :s_cool:
    • looserbaby79
      looserbaby79
      Bronze
      nice to read blog from our SLOVAKIAN HERO

sleeping from 6/7 to 1\2 PM whats about living in New Zealand?
      its GMT+12 so i thik its 8pm - 2 am

anyway i played chess aswell looking forward to play with you - on internet MULTITABLING must be very hard :evil: - i definitely prefer poker.

keep bloging man
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      :s_cool: full of superpower :D :D :D so true, TwiceT, muhahaaa

2looserbaby: deffo can play both chess, or poker ;) u play chess online? could play on kurnik.pl .. prolly quickest registration, easy playing..

Today i was in a shopping center and bought actually quite a lot of colourful things :P for the upcoming summer.. parties, hanging out with :heart: ... It was fun, my mother was assistenting me a lot, wouldnt be possible without her help as I ve never made a shopping as big as today by any means..

Worse news is that this month I am actually at abt -250, even though I ve played quite a little, but I somehow cannot concentrate properly .. hmmm.. :tongue:

But this night I am getting to a plus deffo & starting pressing a bit harder.. must not succumb to the comfort that was sofar granted me, bcs the goal should be much much higher ofc..

Anyone who is interested in top Eng com promo: I only gathered 3,5k psp up to yesterday, so I am even out of top 10 most prolly.. but coming back soon ;)

gl every1 !