Advice Needed - Start at PLO50?

• Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Hello,

I've been reading a few things about PLO since I want to start playing, but I'd like some advice from more experienced players, more specifically, I'd like to know if the difference between the other players' skills in PLO50 are too big compared to smaller stakes.

I do have a 50+ BI BR for PLO, so I was just wondering. If the difference is not too big, I might start at PLO50 right away instead of the smaller stakes.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  • 6 replies
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      At the lower stakes (talking about FTP here) the play is generally passive and loose. At PL25, it becomes more aggressive, while staying loose - this is not an easy combination, because you frequently are battling people who will not simply fold, and will bet their hands with such sheer aggression that you are frequently calling with just the top pair.

At PL50, I cannot say, but I'd imagine the play to be a touch tighter, but even more visceral. Be prepared to lose, eitherway, because there are plenty of marginal situations your opponents will be using against you, and winning is never easy.
    • nubbe2
      nubbe2
      Black
      Like any other game its at micro stakes often profitable with abc poker.

And when you move up in the stakes ..... well that's another chapter
      For my experience from PLO20 ipoker network you play 3-4 way often in SH table. And AAxx always get overplayed and called down to the river with nut draws without good odds. As general Passive Loose

I haven't played that great deal of hands in PLO50 yet, but the big different so far . Is that the starting hand requirement is generally tighten and alot more raises from position and folds OOP.

This makes it more profitable to bluff and play beyond abc poker.

IMO if u have the BR for it try PLO50 , don't know how many tables you are used to play but i would recommend start with at most two and if it comfortable and FUN, keep going. <(yeah and ofc profitable)

And its not the stakes that are the most important in your oppositions play its about good table selection.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Thx for the feedback.

I've decided to buy Omaha Manager and start right out at PLO50, I found that I feel pretty comfortable at the $0.25/$0.50 stakes even at a different game.

Have been playing just one PLO table along with 1 or 2 NLH tables, at least until I get more experience in PLO.

So far have been running good, just around 300 hands though... well, at least I've been running good on NLH as well, so that's a pretty good start I guess.

Have been playing 17/9 so far, a little bit too tight (and passive) for me and sometimes I feel the urge to get fancy here and there, but have been able to a get ahold of myself untill I get more experienced at this game.

Oh, and of course it's been fun... been thinking about playing some mixed HA game on FTP. :s_biggrin:
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      So how is Omaha treating you? I was facing a similar decision (i have 50+ buyins for PLO25 but decided to start at PLO10). Also I enjoy blogs so maybe you could start one for me?... :D :D
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Well, so far so good, only 1000 hands so far though, with a 20BB/100 winrate playing PLO50 SH on FTP.

Started playing extremely tight... but I guess I just can't handle playing too tight... :D
      Specially after seeing some nitty players folding so much to 2nd barrels when they miss their weak draws or whatever they were calling with.

So, basically, I've been experimenting a little bit beyond ABC, trying to find some good spots for 2nd and 3rd barrels. One thing I've noticed though (I might be wrong since I'm pretty inexperienced at the game yet) is that usually c-bets don't work too often... so I think when I c-bet I have to be willing to 2nd barrel (maybe 3rd barrel too) on blank turns and/or rivers, depending on villain of course.

So actually I've been applying somewhat similar strategies to hold'em and omaha, tight out of position and loose in position, although given my inexperience I've been way tighter in omaha than in hold'em, where in certain extremely nitty games I get to the extreme looseness point of opening every hand... and opponents just keep folding so much, orbit every orbit... then they decide to call once in while, and check/fold the flop when they miss... it's just ridiculous. Not that I'm complaining though. :s_love:

So, given my experience with omaha so far... I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing and have fun. If you feel comfortable playing PLO25, I think you should go up, the difference between limits are probably not that big... if not, just stick to PLO10 until you gain more experience.

Regarding the blog, nah... I tried writing a blog-like-thread once, but it just didn't work, don't have too much time, I think I'm better off using my free time to improve my game and obviously play the game as well instead of writing a blog. Besides, you probably already noticed that I tend to get carried away, so it would really take too much time to write a blog. :f_p:
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I'm feeling pretty good at PLO10 at the moment and I think I'm getting a grasp of things.. It's definitely true what you wrote about having to be ready to 2nd barrel if you decide to cbet, it works the same at PLO10..

Another thing I noticed is that it works really well if you 3bet kind of often because people only 3bet and 4 bet when they have aces, they just never do it with kings or worse no matter how connected or suited they might be so they also always put you on aces when you 3bet which you can easily exploit when an A comes and your hand is really well disguised when you hit something..

All in all I really enjoy the game so far. Yesterday I spent like 2 hours trying to get Omaha Manager to work and I have 50 buyins for PLO25 so I think I will move up soon..