A few questions

• enemaze
      Hello everyone.

I've started playing online poker (NLHE) with my PS starting capital. I used up my 50 bucks in about a week. I didnt follow the SSS, and i was used to playing live poker with my friends, which is WAY different than how it is played online. Although i was starting to pick up on how things worked online, i didnt manage to save my bankroll. In some mystical way, i got another 15 bucks on my account. I played a bit and now i have about 30$. I tried out the SSS for a bit and i think i will adopt it. However there are a few things that i wanted to ask.

1. It's really hard to stay focused when playing SSS. Most of the time you dont get any playable hands, and it gets pretty boring watching other people play. I try and do other things too when playing, but i feel this is a bad habit since im missing out of info from the game and i can also lose my focus because im busy doing other things. How do you advise me to keep my focus and not get bored?

2. I know it's very important to mix up your game. A lot of people have statistic aid, and in poker that's a very valuable asset. The SSS, as effective as it may be, is very predictable. Especially if someone knows and recognizes the strategy, you are at serious disadvantage. I know most people playing at low limits probably dont have these tools, yet it's something that bothers me when i play SSS.

Hopefully this time ill manage to keep my bankroll alive :)
  • 4 replies
    • wardog37
      About syaying focused, how many tables are you playing at a time?? If only one or two then maybe think bout increasing that. This way you'll be kept more busy and see more playable hands more often.... just athought:)
    • delete461

As wardog said, playing more tables will help relieve the boredom of SSS - just play what you are comfortable with and make sure you arent rushed into making wrong decisions. Once you memorise the SHC you should be able to play 4 tables quite easily, some advanced SSSers here play 12 - 18 tables.

When you play SSS it is very important that you play EXACTLY according to the strategy on lower limits - trying to mix up your game is a big no-no, the strategy is mathematically calculated to give you a small statistical advantage all the time, deviating from it means you are making mathematically incorrect decisions.

On NL10 you will find very few opponents who can identify and adjust correctly to an SSS player - people who can do that are generally found on higher limits, and by the time you get there you will know how to deal with them. Just stick to the strategy, and avoid playing tables with too many other shortstacks.
    • enemaze
      Well i started playing several tables (usually between 4 and 6), i usually follow the strategy religously, i make a few slips every now and then X:

in this hand, i believe i played it by the book, and indeed i doubled up.

Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , K:heart:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB folds, BB raises to $1.90 (All-In), Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($3.85) 4:club: , 8:spade: , 6:diamond:
      Turn: ($3.85) J:heart:
      River: ($3.85) 2:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $3.85

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of kings (Kd Kh)
      BB shows a pair of jacks (Ah Jd)

Hero wins with a pair of kings (Kd Kh)

I was about to leave the table, but i found a very nice hand near my avatar.

Known players:

0/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , A:heart:
      UTG1 raises to $1.00, 4 folds, Hero raises to $3.85 (All-In), 2 folds, UTG1 calls $2.85.

Flop: ($7.80) A:diamond: , 7:diamond: , T:club:
      Turn: ($7.80) K:heart:
      River: ($7.80) Q:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $7.80

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, aces (Ac Ah)
      UTG1 shows a straight, ace high (Kc Jh)

UTG1 wins with a straight, ace high (Kc Jh)

My question is this: in a situation like this, when you are about to leave and find yourself with a playable hand, how do you play it when you have more than 25 bbs? Was it wrong of me to continue playing SSS?
    • EagleStar88
      Hi enemaze,

When playing sss this actually occurs quite frequently. It is entirely up to you how to play it, however this is the way I play them.

Once I've reached the upper (leave) level, I will always blind out for free leaving when the BB comes around again.

I will however usually tighten my starting hands as you have more at stake. I tend to play AA/KK only, but would also consider QQ/AK depending on position & players etc.

With AA you are always going into a hand ahead and so I would always play it. Over the long term, you will win more of these than lose.

Nice hands, well played.