SSS question

• wick3dways
      wick3dways
      Bronze
      the chart says only to play AJ in late position. just wondering if it would be worth a limp in mid or early position then playing regular post flop play depending on how you stand? or would you get raised and have to fold too much for it to be worth it?
  • 7 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi wick3dways & welcome to the forum,

I can see your thinking and I have tried this occasionally myself (only when many other limpers) but long term it is -ve EV.

There will be many times when you find yourself in a pot totally dominated by AQ, AK etc, not to mention people catching sets having limped themselves.

The sss strategy is a very mathematically calculated system and must be followed strictly to achieve best result.

I would however encourage you to continue your thinking of hands and strategies, can only help to refine your game as your knowledge & experience improves.

Wishing you continued success and enjoyment with your poker,

Bart
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Limping is one of the worst plays possible in no limit hold'em. In fact you should NEVER limp first in. (By the time this play becomes correct you'll be a professional player.)

There are many good plays you can make as a short stack. Limping a hand as weak as AJ is not one of them.
    • wick3dways
      wick3dways
      Bronze
      ok thanks guys. just one more question. when choosing a table should i look for a high plrs/flop % for a lot of limpers, or a higher average pot to be more likely to get paid off when i hit a hand? i know both would be ideal but which is best?
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      i personally look for a high plrs/flop % but i use a HUD program that tells me the average VPIP of the table im on and i leave as soon as it goes to 15VPIP or below. this way there is always at least 1 or 2 people i can isolate and make a profit from :f_cool:
    • wick3dways
      wick3dways
      Bronze
      hmm that actually sounds pretty clever.. which program do you use?
    • geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      You can try both PS Elephant, PokerTracker for free, theres one more, holdem manager, I'm not sure it has some kind of trial version.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wick3dways
      hmm that actually sounds pretty clever.. which program do you use?
      hi,

I use HoldEm Manager. You can use the trial version. its a fully working version with all features except you can only gather up to 5000 hands. Which isnt a lot.

I bought the pro version. but there is also a cheaper version that you can use up to the limits: NL50.

if you are new to HUD programs and dont want to pay. use elephant! its good enough and has like 30 days free trial! :s_cool: