From a cook boy to a millionaire!

• revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Greetings all fellow poker players!

[COLOR=seagreen][u]Prologue[/U][/COLOR]
      My name is Silver and I'm from Estonia. My first poker experience came about a year and a half ago , when playing with my class mates for few cents during the lunch break. Those times were great, being the biggest fish in the table and somehow beating everybody :evil: . With no clue of my hand , I trully believed that my K5o is a good hand prf :] .
      What was ironic about it, one of my mates who lost the most of his money, got mad and went home to study more about poker, and then found this website. And about a year later , he was a NL 50 grinder , and making a significant amount of salary each month, well atleast in our country. Everybody in our class got curious: "damn , how does he earn so much while going to school ?( ?"
      Then about six months ago, he revealed that those cent games in the class lead him to online poker and he showed me this website.

So thats how I reached to online poker: moved to party poker with PS 50 dollar and did my first session with the help of my friend on 4 tables on NL4. And yei!, up to 5 buyins in 2h. Feeling invincible :s_cool: and ready for my own session next day, I forgot that the previous session went so well because of the help of my friend :f_cry: .
      In the next few days quickly back to 50 dollars , and after the first week, even reached to 30. Basically , to make a long story short , I went busto within 4 months.

But we made a deal with my friend, that after he has reached NL100 and feels comfortably there, he will stack me and then i could give another shot. So with hope still left, I studied all the bronze articles and watched hasenbratens videos ( learned a lot from there!).

Suddenly, just about when my friend was making his shot in NL100 , the Pacific poker second starting capital was released! And my second shot for the millions began ( and luckily is still on :] )!

Okay, now whats up with the cook boy thing?

Damn , i almost forgot, sorry :P . I started my working career, when I was 9 years old, as a paper boy during summer times. I was extremely good, and earned about as much as an average Estonian, this is no joke , i swear!
      But after three or four super years with lots of cash to spend on sweets and support my family, I was too old to continue as a paper boy ( I was taller than most of the customers :D ), and one of the regular clients offfered me a job as a chef assistant.

And I have been working as it since then: about five or six years. But now I am going to University , and I dont want to take a parttime job as a cook again because of numerous reasons. First of all, its quite hard to work in a hot kitchen, learn a whole new menu and etc. Secondly , it is even harder to do alongside with University. And finally, because of the economical crisis , I may not even get a job , and if I do , then it will probably be like slavery, because i bet the salary will be superlow!

So thats why I have decided to start this blog: to reach a limit high enough by the beginning of September so that when I move away and start my own life as a student , i wouldnt have to take a parttime job and could concentrate more on my studings and poker.

The purpose of this blog.
      1. Motivation: hopefully this will be the place where I can regroup, clear my head and reach the right mindset , before grinding or after.
      2. Overview: so I can keep track on my winnings and see how I am doing , and how to advance.
      3. No escaping from TILT! Since my goal is to keep you updated every day, that means no escaping from bad decisions, downswings , time to face them.
        And maybe some comfort :)
      4. ANd since I dont have HEM yet ( elephant doesnt work in Pacific :f_cry: ) I hope you will help me review my session and comment my hands , i will write them down as detailed as i can .

My current standing
      BANKROLL: 148.18 USD
      POKER ROOM: Pacific Poker
      HEM or any tracking software besides Elephant: NO
      Limits and strategies: NL6 BSS and NL20 SSS

And finally, MY GOALS FOR AUGUST.
      Updated 03.08.09
      • Reach my BR to 250 $ (COMPLETED)
      • Then buy HEM ASAP
      • And after that wager my starting capital , and probably change a room, because although it is fishy, there are just too few tables at some limits especially in FR. :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond:| || (73%)
      • Judge 500 hands :diamond:| |||||||| (4%)
      • Attend atleast 5 coachings (SSS/BSS)
      • Reach Gold status :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: :diamond:| (90%)
      • Attain all the knowledge from Bronze and Silver SSS/BSS and implement it in your game

Okay , this should do for now, see you later today and great grind to all of you :f_grin: ! Hopefully you will give me some sugestions and feedback:)
  • 23 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      nice intro. is ur name really Silver? coolness.
      anyway, good luck in your quest. i started recently, just like you, even just got my HEM last month. (but i started with elephant) :) you dont have to buy it tho. some sites let you play for it. just msg me if u want more info.

more power!!!
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Yes , my name is Silver with rank silver atm:D

Well, because i haven't fully finished my wagerings at Pacific, I cant leave yet . Otherwise I would only have 100$ in the other room, and I cant use Elephant in 888.

Which leads me to my first seek for help.. Can anybody tell me , if 888 saves all the hands I play and if yes then where? I just cant find the place and this would mean that until I get HEM , i will have to record the hand myself somehow and later write it here in the right format :( .

Thanks ahead:)

I have also decided to add a new goal : hand judging.
      All this time I have been ignoring one of the most important rule of success in poker, which is evaluating your and other people hands. Practice makes perfect and it gives a lot of practice.
      I will try to post and evaluate atleast 500 hands in the next 40 days. My post count will be increasing alot:D
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Everybody wants to be a millionaire, huh?=)

Well gl =) Btw cool nick Silver :P
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey revlis,

Very nice introduction to your blog, I wish you good luck in reaching your goals :)

As to your question; there is sadly no real 888.com hand history folder. The only way to collect hand histories is to use a special program that creates hand histories: http://en.shop.pokerstrategy.com/products/Software/Hand-Grabber-for-PacificPoker-or-Ongame-Network-Save-22.html (ignore the wrong description - the shop isn't fully translated yet)

For the moment though I would try to survive with heavy note-taking - since even with this program the hand histories are only of limited use at Pacific.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • danwong
      danwong
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      Hey revlis,

Very nice introduction to your blog, I wish you good luck in reaching your goals :)

As to your question; there is sadly no real 888.com hand history folder. The only way to collect hand histories is to use a special program that creates hand histories: http://en.shop.pokerstrategy.com/products/Software/Hand-Grabber-for-PacificPoker-or-Ongame-Network-Save-22.html (ignore the wrong description - the shop isn't fully translated yet)

For the moment though I would try to survive with heavy note-taking - since even with this program the hand histories are only of limited use at Pacific.

Best regards
      SoyCD
      ???

But there is a hand history folder for pacific. You just have to enable it in one of the options.

In the lobby at the top tab [Settings] > [Hand History] and set a destination folder DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE BOX.

Hope this helps.

edit: Also hand replayer for pacific is terrible.
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Thank you guys for your help! Will try it out immediately, hopefully this works :s_thumbsup:

And heavy note-taking has been there since from the beginning, luckily. Pacific is fishy , but at some limits there are so few players that you will quickly notice regulars and soon be able to adapt to their game .

Every thing has two sides :)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by danwong
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      Hey revlis,

Best regards
      SoyCD
      ???

But there is a hand history folder for pacific. You just have to enable it in one of the options.

In the lobby at the top tab [Settings] > [Hand History] and set a destination folder DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE BOX.

Hope this helps.

edit: Also hand replayer for pacific is terrible.
      Oh I will have to check that out.. in the past it wasn't possible to locally save hand history files.. so they might have introduced this now.
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Yep , it works, thank you danwong :) !

Now I just completed my first session after starting this blog.

That basically means
      DAY NR 1

Length of the session: 2 hours
      Limits :NL 20 SSS and NL6 BSS
      BR: 163.31 $ (+15.13)

Comments: quite satisfied, afterall saturday late evening-> best time for fishing :s_cool: . The session began with some mistakes , but then I got my focus back and I had a pretty good run too. As you can see , I am playing SSS and BSS at the same time. It is because of the table selection, which is SOOOOO poor :( , with fishes or not. In 888 you can play at 8 tables maximum ( I hate that rule;) ) , but there are about 4-5 decent tables in NL 6 FR , where I can get my money (sometimes even those are so nitty) and thats why I also play SSS in NL 20 FR where there is approximatley also 4 tables. But NL 20 is so far so easy that I am loving it, nobody believes the shortstacker there and they call you even with trash . ;)

Anyway, I hope that this quite good run will continue and I can get my HEM!

As for hand posting, surprisingly for the first time once in a while I didnt have any complicated decisions, SSS paid me off , and BSS didnt confront any difficulties:)
      Whch is actually good, manual hand posting is very time-consuming and annoying :s_mad:

Good luck to everybody and see ya lat.. got to go t.. sl..ee.. pp.. zzzzzzzz..
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      DAY 4

Hi guys, how's everybody doing? hopefully you have had some fishing, because I havent :f_frown:

Had two work days , but still, no late night fishing for me in the last few days, more like a week. Pacific is fishy , but there aren't any ponds or oceans where to catch them :(
      I am a FR player but there are usually only 3-4 tables in NL 20 where I SSS and in NL 6 , the tables are so tight , table selection or not.. For the past few days , almost any monster I had got only blinds for dinner.
      I cant take it any longer and time is ticking -> 33 days left until university and by that time I have to have a BR that can earn some money for living.

Things arent looking very good atm..

Which is the reason I have decided to do some changes.. I will cashout the money from Pacific as soon as I reach 170$ , which means that I will have 120$ -> and will move on to another poker room ( hopefully my BR will survive there in NL 20 SSS). Probably Full Tilt, looks like suitable for me. Also since my paycheck will soon be transferred, I have decided to spend the 50$ from my own pocket for HEM, and finally start improving myself.

Hopefully I am doing the right thing , because i really believe that I am getting nowhere in Pacific.. I dont feel comfortable in SH and there are too few FR tables.. I would like to hear some feedback about my decision, whether it is profitable and the right thing to do .. Because I really need to get things going before September.

While moving to another room, I am still playing in Pacific, I am telling NL 20 SSS is eeeazy money there, but i just cant understand why there are so few tables them.. Everytime I get my dollars , I will have to wait another half an hour and then start it over again.

Okay , time to talk about my sessions then:

Length of the sessions: 10 hours

Limits: NL20 SSS and NL 6 BSS

BR: 164.52 $

(+1.21 , five more dollars and I am out of the Pacific desert)

BTW , I havent really talked about my job exactly yet, so you will hear the next time, hopefully by that time I am in a room where there are enough waters, enough fish, and I have my HEM to bring you the statistics;)

Good grind for everybody! Checking out... 5.. 4.. 3... 2... 1..
      I'LL BE BACK
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Hey!

Good luck on your quest.
      A word of advice, don't mix playing BSS and SSS. Decide for either one, but not both.

Switch limits when you took your moneyz on all the NL20 tables go playing at NL10 for half an hour or even NL30, then come back at NL20. Either way playing more then 4 tables at 888 is impossible, software still sucks.
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      @ rockeye: I will probably not mix it in other rooms, but in Pacific there is no other way round, and I actually feel comfortable playing both at the same time, as long as i dont do any misclicks or mess up which table which was, then its okay. Atleast so far, I am satisfied:)
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      So while I am waiting for my money to get transferred into Moneybookers and then to Pacific so I can cashout without paying any bank draft or shit like that ( to cashout with moneybookers you have to have deposited with it before X( ), I have continued playing in Pacific, and actually things have gone really well!

Day 8

Limits: NL20 and NL 30 SSS / NL 6 BSS
      Bankroll: 233.89$ (+69.37$, most of it came today, I LOVE FRIDAYS :s_cool: )

Comments: well, as you can see, Pacific aint bad at all :f_biggrin: ! If there were only more tables FR , then I wouldnt even leave. Plus I had a pretty good heater today, and tables were fishy like always:) .
      Hopefully when I move to Full Tilt, then my sessions there wont start with a downswing.
      P.S. maybe i dont even have to spend my own money and can get HEM now too.. Then I and you could see really how I have been doing and how I have evolved as a poker player, if I have..

Okay , away to sleep now , good grind to everybody and see ya all soon!
      5.. 4.. 3.. 2... zzzzzz... oops , I forgot to shut down ... 1.. ggggood nighttt....
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze

Congratulations on being Blog of the Week. Good luck in your journey, nice blog :)

Bart
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Wow, thanks Bart, I am really honoured:) . I will do my best to cook something out of these heaters , maybe some penne carbonara or swordfish and shrimp (Grilled swordfish, shrimpr oiled in garlic paste, grilled sweet potato, lime sauce, hot pineapple salsa) ;) .

Speaking of my work , as you know I have been working in the restaurant for 5-6 years. Currently I am in Villa Wesset's a la carte restaurant, which is one of the best restaurants in Parnu, the summer capital of Estonia ( beautiful beach with the most beautiful ladies in the world, and almost every male tourist who has been here , has said it). I have been working as a full time chef too, but not in a la carte restaurants, and because of the economical crisis, I am back in assistant position again.
      What's funny about my working career , is that I have never taken any courses of cooking or anything like that, yet I work in such a quality restaurant alongside with chefs who have done it their whole life. And I am faster and more experienced than other young practicants , or rookies who have graduated.. Guess who makes the dinner in my family:D ?

Speaking of experience, the same thing is in poker. You may have read all the articles and done some coaching or video watching, but without practice It is hard to implement those skills in your game. For example, during my first shot at poker, I studied a lot , read all articles, made summarys of most of them , drew some graphs or tables , so I can use them while playing.. But I still went busto.. Because I wasnt experienced enough to actually understand what all those articles or tactics really meant.. You have to experience it yourself , that is the best way to memmorise or implement things once and for all.

Faust was also very intelligent man, but until he made a pact with the devil , and experienced all kinds of pleasure-providing activities or sins, he finally realized and started to appreciate his work or what he has achieved. A man is finally happy, when he is doing something he respects or knows that it is important and good for the mankind, and he enjoys doing it.

I am still on the pursuit of happiness, like most of us are, because cooking is not the thing I want to do the rest of my life , and I havent found a career yet, that I would like or enjoy doing ..

Okay, now back to poker. It is

DAY NR 10

Length of sessions: 4 hours
      Limits: NL 20-30 SSS / NL 6 BSS
      BR: 269.87$ (+35.98)

Comments: FINALLY NL 10 BSS! And as soon as moneybookers will transfer my money to Pacific , so I can take some money out, HEM here i come!
      Here's another example why weekends are the best time to grind! Even though Saturday was hyper-swingy ( I went up to 265 then back to 220 and ended the day, oops night, with 269.87), with numeours suckouts and beats, there are still thous hords of fish , who want to make you happy again, and minimise your losses.

Although some of them like to suck out tooo:D .

Anyway, most of you may think that I am just on a heater now, and maybe you're right, but when thinking about all those beats that I have also had, I am waiting for the real one come.. Although current run is good too, and I am definitely satisfied if it doesnt change to the opposite.:) .

Well, thats probably enough for now, any questions, feedback or anything, post here :f_grin: , and I will be happily to answer, poker related or not.

Good grind to everyone , and cya soon!
      Time to do some physical workout too
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Hi guys, before going to work again, I noticed that I have already completed some of my goals for August, and since I still have 28 days left , I decided to add some extra goals to keep me studying and improving my game , hopefully I will complete them all.

Thats it for now, gotta run now, have to be at work in 11 minutes :evil: .

Good luck and grind to everybody!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by revlis
      I will do my best to cook something out of these heaters , maybe some penne carbonara or swordfish and shrimp (Grilled swordfish, shrimpr oiled in garlic paste, grilled sweet potato, lime sauce, hot pineapple salsa) ;) .
      Ah, now your making me feel really hungry :D

beautiful beach with the most beautiful ladies in the world, and almost every male tourist who has been here , has said it).
      .... and jealous :tongue:

Congrats on your goals, yeah it's good to keep adding new ones, keeps the menu fresh and helps stretch your learning. I just wish I was as disciplined as you ;)

Keep up the good work,

Bart
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      Congrats on your goals, yeah it's good to keep adding new ones, keeps the menu fresh and helps stretch your learning. I just wish I was as disciplined as you ;)

Well, the deadline is my source of motivation and discipline;) . I have to reach to NL 20+ BSS by September , to earn a living as a poker player here in Estonia.
      I aint going to work , that will disrupt my studying , and the paycheck is probably too small, besides , I may not even get a job, because there arent many employers.

I have been very busy in the past few days: 1) my computer got infected
      2) since the summer starts to finish slowly, there are fewer and fewer tourists everyday, which means less employees at the restaurant, and alot more work ! 3) I have been in a serious rush of finding a place to live .

At first, the virus thing , that was just sick... Has anybody of you heard of the fake security center malware.. Well, I just met it :D .. apparently, it somehow got into my computer, and got attached to the windows security software, making it wanna update himself. And while updating , it downloads the virus, which is a program called security center.. after the download, the so-called protection starts scanning your computer , and suddenly 'finds' 26 viruses, 7 worm etc.. It creates a picture to your desktop , that all your pictures documents and stuff could be erased, and the only solution is 'security center', which asks 40 dollars for once time removal and 70 dollars for 'lifetime protection' :D :D ..
      I couldnt access to anywhere and it didnt let me burn discs, do a system restore, or anything .. And everytime , you ' continued unprotected' , it started the process all-over: re-scan , permission to download another unknown software, and bla bla..
      Lucklily I wasnt dumb enough to pay the 40 dollars, and consulted with my friends before.. Then we did a little google research, found several ways to get rid of it, and used the malwarebytes' anti-malware.. No security center anymore, and everythings back to normal again:) .
      But yeah, pretty sick virus or malware

This apartment thing is driving me crazy! Only a month left, and It is hard to find anything cheap, at the same time fulfilling all the needs. Especially facing the fact, that besides me, there are few thousand more students looking for the same thing:( ..
      As it is clear by now, I will pay for the rent and for the utility alone about 170 dollars! My student loan gives me 3000 USD, which is about 300 dollars every month:( .. Things will be rough, and thats why I need to get things going in poker.

Talking of it, It is
      DAY NR 13

Length of sessions: 3 hours
      Limits: NL 20-30 SSS / NL 10 BSS
      BR: 240.33$ (-39.54, the first negative session in this blog, time to celebrate :f_biggrin: - NOT!)

Because of the virus, I could only play yesterday night, and it was a sick night! Five spectacular beats , where two and three outers got their 5% chance at the the turn or river.. Well, variance made his retaliation.
      But what was really frustrating, two or three of those beats were against a single donk. At first , it started with this Okay guys , figure out what the villain had.
      Then , few hands later, he pushed the same way in the flop , where again I had overpair , queens. And he had a top pair with tens, and guess what came in turn, a ten:D ! ( sorry,i couldnt remember the time and the table, in order to convert the hand:( ). I was on the edge of a tilt, took a five minutes break, calmed down and decided that sooner or later , his luck runs out and I can get some money back.. About half an hour later, I won a buy-in back from him with trips, then he got mad :D and left.

But the day , oops, the night ended in minuses.. I never recovered from the other beats. Today , I will attend hasenbraten's coaching at Partypoker (BSS bronze).
      And after that another session, hopefully I will climb back:)

And to sum up( when do you stop, seriously:D !), a l song that has been in my favourites for a week.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1Tbpl2hmE
      (btw , how can I post a video, thanks ahead :f_grin: )

I dont care, what some people think he was or did (tbh I dont believe that shit, you know how media always makes things worser), but lyrically and musically he was a genius. If an artists sells more than a 100 million copies and tocuhes so many lives, and plays a big role in changing the world ( donations, fight against racism etc) , then he deserves a little respect and compassion!

Okay, thats it for today, Great grind to everybody and cya soon!
    • Simyo
      Simyo
      Bronze
      Hi, mate. It took some time, but i find your blog.

I see some big ambitions, I hope you will achieve those thing.

Good luck!

Siim.
    • revlis
      revlis
      Bronze
      DAY NR 16 - The saga continues ..

->DOWNSWING<-

Well, as I predicted, my happiness didnt last long.. This week has been sick, just unbelievable.. Like riding on a rollercoaster, which after the light at the end of the tunnel still goes to hell..

After DAY NR13 I managed to grind back and even reach to 277 USD, but yesterday it started all over again and I ended my session back in 240.. And today It continued.. Crazy beats combined with my bad play( which makes me really disappointed) just kills my BR, and it is fucked up to go back to NL 6 and NL 20 SSS and start all over again.. Feels like all that work in previous week just went down in the toilet- FLUSH!

BR: 209.54$ (-ALOT)

Those amazing beats I had, continued.. Today was even worse.. Almost everytime I had a nuts, some 2 or 3 outers hit their hands.. It makes no sense, I know this can happen , but so many of them in such a short term of time.. Unbelievable..

The only thing that motivates me is , that my work days started and I will probably not play for a few days.. Get my motivation and mindset back and start studying! I would also like to do a sweat session with somebody , to discover some leaks and polish my postflop skills..

The whole downswing thing wouldnt be so bad , if the deadline wouldnt be approaching.. And it is frustrating to go back and forth, back and forth..

I have to get back on track and hopefully those crazy boards, variance and those gutshots or two outers will stop now..

Hopefully you guys dont have anything like that, good grind to you and cya soon !

I'LL BE BACK!!