I can't understand how SSS is profitable?

• Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I've been playing for a week or so now using SSS and I just can't see how it is profitable. I mean, on Micro Limits it takes you in excess of an hour to earn a few $ but then you can lose it all in a second when someone bad beats you. For example, i've just played on a table for an hour or so, played 52 hands, and didn't get a single playable hand according to the SHC.
  • 17 replies
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      How many hands did you play so far?
      SSS is about the long run more than anything =)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      About 2,000 overall I believe. I've made quite a big loss at it as well, mainly through going all in and getting bad beats, for example, PokerTracker says i've lost $8 on JJ :/
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      2000 hands is nothing.. =)
      I experienced the same as you with SSS.. Its profitable in the long run, you just have to give it more time and a lot more and more hands.. ;)
      And keep improving ;)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Cheers :) It's going to take forever for me to get back up the ladder and move up limits, so i'm not sure i'll get all the necessary points, i'm kind of relying on winning some money on freerolls.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      SSS can take a longer time to have good profits. It does work.
      It is also vital to understand poker in the beginning I think.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think the problem is that the amount of hands you're limited to in SSS means that if you don't get any playable hand for a while then the minute you raise with a good hand everyone on the table folds because they all think you've got the nuts. So the only way people will call you is when you get multiple playable hands in a short amount of time, so people start getting annoyed at you raising preflop and start calling. For me this hardly ever happens so when I get a playable hand I usually only make a $0.06 profit, yet a bad beat can set me back $2.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      make sure u are playing at least 10 tables...
      anything less than that is just plain boring. with more hands per hour, you can reach your true EV more quickly (which should be much higher than your other fishy opponents at the stakes you play at)
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      it is profitable but micro limits are quite hard and i dont know why.... maybe more players see the flop, i would even suggest not to contibet on microlimits... cause donks will call you with anything.
      Basic sss is profitable... but not too much.... i never won much with basic sss.... I only started winning when i started to use more advanced sss and stats....
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I tried switching to BSS today and i've found it quite good :) Obviously it's not as tedious as you play more hands and I find multi-tabling quite hard when I get beyond 4 tables. Obviously i'll learn to concetrate on more tables as I progress but at the moment i'm not going to risk it. Thanks for all the feedback though :)

Got so lucky just now. It was my first hand on the table, I was BB with 8Ts and 9JQ came on the flop. I make a small bet trying to slowplay a bit but maximise profits and this guy, who I found out after had QJ re-raised, so I re-raised again and then he went all in. Robbed all his moiney :)
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      That reminds me of myself, switching to BSS and finally start winning something.. =)
      Just make sure ull keep trying to improve ur game, no matter what type youll choose ;)
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      i only played bss when i saw a big fish at the table :) always good to boost your BR.
      Btw 8/10 is not the hand you should play :) well unless you were on bb sb or late position else i dunno you just got lucky :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Yeah I was in BB, otherwise there was no way in hell I would have played it haha, but when that flop came there was no way I could have put it down. Rainbow flop aswell so there was no way I was losing that :)
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      there was actually :) K10 :)
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Yeah everytime I get a straight someone finds a better one.

- Hate straights. But as if I'm ever gonna fold. I have a straight! :D
    • Gimme4
      Gimme4
      Bronze
      Strange indeed! Whe I flop a str like that against 2 pr I always get hit by a FH on the turn or river!
    • silvera123
      silvera123
      Bronze
      I have a better example :D
      Playing nl 0.1 i was on the BB with 8Jo, 5-6 players limped, including the utg. flop 9 10 Q, i bet like 10c, utg raised 40c everyone folded, me all in, utg calls shows AA ! lol. free money yay
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      How can short stacking not be profitable?