Problems with $5 SNG....

• donkeymaster
      donkeymaster
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Im having problem with $5 SNG, not sure if its just bad luck or im not skilled enough but, I started $1 SNG and went to $2 SNG was quite successfully with good ROI, but soon as I go to $5 SNG im struggling, with some bad beats, bad decisions All in with AQ and lost to AK to short stack and than all in right next hand with AJ and same guy called with 72o and lost and busted out..

from playing $5 SNG and $2 SNG not TOO much different.. maybe little more better players... but what do I have to do?

After I lost LOTS of my bankroll I have gone back to $2 SNG and started to win again...

Should I stay at $5 table until i get used to it? or should i stay at $2 for bit longer?
  • 15 replies
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      What's your sample size?
    • donkeymaster
      donkeymaster
      Bronze
      ? what you mean sample size?
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      How many games have you played so far
    • donkeymaster
      donkeymaster
      Bronze
      played just over 100 games
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      You should stick to bankroll management. So for now play 2$ SNGs but when your bankroll is big enough, start 5$ SNGs again.

It 's probable that you should work on you play but it could also be a big downswing...
    • donkeymaster
      donkeymaster
      Bronze
      what if my bankroll is still ok?

keep playing $5 than move down when my bankroll is less than 2% of buy in?
    • MikeB570
      MikeB570
      Bronze
      I can relate a little bit. I grinded my way from $50 to about $150 on the $2 sngs. I was doing good too, I did that in a pretty short time. Then I decided to give the $5 ones a try and cashed in like 1 out of 8. Now I do good in them but I think you have to learn to adjust from the total complete fish to the better than average fish that play the $5 ones.

I heard something like "You play about as good as the people you are playing with" or something like that. Meaning you will play better than your normal game with a table of pros than a table of donks. I think it takes a little bit of time to get used to not playing with moneyburners.

I would play the $2 and mix in some $5. When you're comfortable and your bankroll allows for it play the $5 ones full time.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i had a similar experience with the $5 SnGs was up then down 10-15Bi

ive changed my bank roll management to compensate for the swings. i now play with 100Bi back down to $2 Turbos.

this way i can have a more steady increase where the variance doesnt crush my spirit as well as my BR :(
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      SNGs are swingy as.

All you need to do is look at the graph generated for the Boku87 challenges. He is an exceptional player, but in his current graph, and in the graph for a previous challenge, there are periods of 1000 SNGs where his graph points very steeply down.

That is variance kicking his arse for 1000 matches. I'm sure he doesn't call it a downswing, because he is playing so many he probably doesn't have time to notice. That would only take him about two days by the way. It's always nice to see time compressed like that, and then relate it to your own experience.

You need patience, discipline and BRM to play them.

I played 1600 $11 SNGs on Party Poker, ROI 12%, nice profit. Swings of 30-40 BI from time to time. Graph overall trending upward.

Deposited on BET365 to pick up some bonus money, and have a downward graph over 300 SNGs. I have had to drop back to $5 BIs and have only just started to turn it around.

You need to be sure that you are playing optimally as well. But, no matter how well you play, you will always have periods where you constantly lose while holding the better hand when the money goes in.

Remember, if you have 3 outs, you are about 23% to win.

If your opponent has 3 outs, 3 outs is the NUTZZ!!! :D
    • heartburn13
      heartburn13
      Bronze
      where could I see the graph of boku ant help please?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Boku87 Challenge #2 :: $5 into $100,000 in a year

I was wrong about the 1000 sng downswing, his biggest seems to be just over 400, for a 2.5k $ loss. But, variance giveth, just as it taketh away.

He would be doing this in just one day.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      that is very very interesting acid, seeing time compressed like that into one day. boku would play as much in 1 day as most of us would play in a month.

it is a great understanding of how variance can get and it makes my 'downswings' look like nothing and gives me back some confidence that after a few thousand SnGs i can too get an upward trend.
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      variance hit me as well, after 250 SnG's at $5 BI I had a 14% ROI and a 120$ profit, but in the next 50 games i'm on a 5$ profit.

And I've played the same all the time, I select the tables, I play where I know at least 2 players.

I can say that I am very good at them, but when variance hits you, you should be praying :P . It seems that I run into AA way to often and my AA comes at 15/30 blinds in the early phase :(

Anyway, I think that a 1% BRM is safer at the low limits, and once you go up, you can decrease it to 80 - 50 BI
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      that is very very interesting acid, seeing time compressed like that into one day. boku would play as much in 1 day as most of us would play in a month.

it is a great understanding of how variance can get and it makes my 'downswings' look like nothing and gives me back some confidence that after a few thousand SnGs i can too get an upward trend.
      Yeah, the two things to watch out for are, confidence, which gets shaken during these times, making objective assessment of our play difficult, and of course, are we actually playing ok or have we dropped into tilt.

Definitely helps to know that this is all just expected.
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MikeB570
      I can relate a little bit. I grinded my way from $50 to about $150 on the $2 sngs. I was doing good too, I did that in a pretty short time. Then I decided to give the $5 ones a try and cashed in like 1 out of 8. Now I do good in them but I think you have to learn to adjust from the total complete fish to the better than average fish that play the $5 ones.

I heard something like "You play about as good as the people you are playing with" or something like that. Meaning you will play better than your normal game with a table of pros than a table of donks. I think it takes a little bit of time to get used to not playing with moneyburners.

I would play the $2 and mix in some $5. When you're comfortable and your bankroll allows for it play the $5 ones full time.

150$ is not enough for $5 SnG's. I think not even 250$ which would be 50 BI just because swings are more brutal and 10 SnG's lost in a row means 55$. I started with 250$ and went up to 330$ in a few days, but i hit a swing for 3 days and I'm down to 205$. most of them I finished in the bubble, like 40% of them, which is extremely high.