This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

I Need Help Dealing with Losses!!!

• pwned94
      pwned94
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I recieved my $50 about a week ago and have been playing $1 SNGs and am break-even on those so far because I am a disciple of the Basic PS Strategy and am confident that I will start winning.

However, Cash is where my problems start. If someone outdraws me in a SNG, I am often angry and try to get this money back playing cash. I am rather ashamed to admit that I have played as high as $.50/$1 to recoup only my SNG buy in.

I have also played blackjack :(
      I know there is a house edge, but sometimes I get so frustrated that I try to win my money back, and although it has worked for me so far, I am scared because I know I will go broke doing this.

Please somebody tell me how they deal with losing, because I feel like I am technically a good PLAYER, but am an awful self MANAGER.

I have been following a 'maximum of 5% of BR' rule for cash buy-ins no higher than $.02c/.04c, but as I play heads up it is swingy and concerning me that I have such a weakness.

I beileve that poker is a skill game, and because I am pretty sure that I am a good player, it is disconcerting to have this massive gambling weakness, which I know I need to be able to overcome to sustain my bankroll through the bad beats.

My bankroll is $62 as I write, and I really don't want to lose it!

Any help is greatly appreciated, and just so you know I have played poker for a few years before taking a long break. I have looked at my figures and was shown that I had played 5,000 SNGs on PokerStars (no higher than $10) with an ROI of 12%. I built a bankroll of about $10k, before cashing out to help finance work on my house.

I am trying to start small, as it has been a while since I played back then!!

Regards
  • 1 reply
    • dcmcfyl
      dcmcfyl
      Bronze
      Just read the psychology articles, they have some really great advice. For me personally, I'm glad when I get a bad beat. I know that it means I got my money in good, and if I keep playing like that, I will make a profit in the long run. Don't worry about trying to win your money back from bad beats. That's what following proper BRM is for; to make sure that when you get bad beats you have a large enough buffer to recover, which will happen in the long run if you keep playing solid +EV poker. If however, you get really frustrated and feel tempted to do something stupid, just stop playing. Turn off your computer, go for a walk, watch TV or a movie, go hang out with some friends. Just do something to take your mind off of it and try again either later that day, the next day or whenever you're in a better state of mind. Whatever you do, don't start chasing your losses.