The best way to play roulette?

• Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      I got my 50$ from the top10 promo on Party and I first played some 1/2 and 3/6 FL, to try and get scratch tickets... oh, yeah, I wanted to donk around a bit, so there's no confusion :) Anyways, made it to 160$ and then before cashing out I felt like playing a game of roulette before I go. So I took 50$ and looked at the board and placed the bets in a way that looked kind of cool:

And in that one spin, the 22 hit and I got 180$ for my 50$, that's 130$ profit. Then I just withdrew the cash and left. Now while I was out and walking around I started to think that my bets ware pretty well placed. I don't know much about roulette, but I assume that if you hit an exact number and have 5$ on it, you always get 180$, and if you hit a color you get 2x the invested. So I calculated a bit and I found out that the way I placed the bets(shown above) I get 49.32$ for every 50$ invested.

I'm not that good with probabilities, so I would like to know if I calculated it right and thus actually managed to place my bets in the least(or at least one of the least) -EV ways? Pretty good for first go :)
  • 44 replies
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      For colour, you win $50 18x out of 37. For each number you win 180 1x out of 37.
      Therefore you get 50*18/37 + 5*180/37 = $48.65 on average.

(And you always get $48.65 EV no matter how you bet on roulette. Every bet has 36/37 = 0.973 EV.)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Dip,

All bets there are -EV long term, it is all about the Variance np{1-p}

But I think everything as betting in the numbers (single 11 or split 10/11) has the same EV

I think this goes as well for the Red/Black, dozens and stuff

EV (1st dozen) = .324*$30 - (1-.324)*20$
      EV = -$3.8

EV (Single Number) = (1/37)*35*10$ - (36/37)*$10{??}
      EV = +$0.8~ but the VARIANCE IS SICK

I will look it up in a Math Exam since to refresh my mind ^^
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      you massive loser
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Dip,

All bets there are -EV long term, it is all about the Variance np{1-p}

But I think everything as betting in the numbers (single 11 or split 10/11) has the same EV

I think this goes as well for the Red/Black, dozens and stuff

EV (1st dozen) = .324*$30 - (1-.324)*20$
      EV = -$3.8

I never said it could be +EV, that's why I made the long intro :f_biggrin:

Interesting that everything has the same EV, didn't expect that... And what are you saying that a single number actually has a positive EV, but the variance is huge?! If that would be true, couldn't you just bet the same amount on all the numbers and win everytime without variance?
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dippy19
      And what are you saying that a single number actually has a positive EV, but the variance is huge?!
      No, it has the same negative EV like anything else (36/37 of the bet).

If that would be true, couldn't you just bet the same amount on all the numbers and win everytime without variance?
      Yes, but it's not true. :D
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      OP i suggest you read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulette

Now here are some thing that contradict other posters:

1) an instance where the edge is not the same

pay odds

Five Number Bet 0, 00, 1, 2, 3 6 to 1 6.6 to 1 −$0.079

NB: obvs assumers american wheel

this is more lost (different) compared to the rest which are −$0.053

2) i think you mean losing the least! In which case: I'll refer you to this:

1st and 3rd column strategy - search the wiki for that

my understanding is that this strategy breaks even in the long run (or VERY close to)

Of course, I have not tested this myself and am not interested enough, but assuming these are correct it should be insightful for you as it has been for me.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      Ok, you have 12 numbers in the 1st column and 12 numbers in the 3rd one.
      You win 3 times your bet I believe.
      Therefore you get 3*(24/37)/2 your bet (you win 3 times your bet, you win if you hit one of your 24 "outs" out of 37 numbers and you place 2 bets). Surprisingly the resulting EV is 36/37 of your bet (like always in roulette).
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      Ok, you have 12 numbers in the 1st column and 12 numbers in the 3rd one.
      You win 3 times your bet I believe.
      Therefore you get 3*(24/37)/2 your bet (you win 3 times your bet, you win if you hit one of your 24 "outs" out of 37 numbers and you place 2 bets). Surprisingly the resulting EV is 36/37 of your bet (like always in roulette).
      did you even read the article? no

go read it again
    • sydney69
      sydney69
      Bronze
      With play money.
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Please, roullete in never +EV ..
      EV (Single Number) = (1/37)*35*10$ - (36/37)*$10 .. That is exactly 35/37 - 36/37 and that can never be > 0 ...
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I already thought I made a mistake, thanks :)
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      [ So I calculated a bit and I found out that the way I placed the bets(shown above) I get 49.32$ for every 50$ invested.
      You aint got 0 covered; so when it hits u lose $50

I've seen three/four 0's ina row Siiiiiiiiiick

i only ever bet on roulette sometimes; when i do i load onto 1-12, 12-24, or 24-36 then cover eacch other the other 12;s

e.g.
      50p per number 1-12
      then bet like £4 on 12-24 and 24-36

then pick a few numbers from the 'loaded' section 1-12 in this case and put more money on them i.e. £1.30 on 2, 5, 7, 10 or something and then spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin the wheel lol its not exactly a 'system' but its fun when u feel like having a punt

Sabo :club:
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze

go read it again
      Ok, I'm sorry. :-)
      I've read it now.
      It only breaks even in comparison with other possible bets on roulette.
      In the article they explain it themselfs: "This "strategy" breaks even in the long run, of course, for the simple reason that any linear combination of zero-expectation bets is itself zero-expectation".
      Obviously the "partial" bets (1st column, 3rd column and black) are not zero-EV, they are negative EV (-1/37). Therefore the sum of these (sum is a special case of linear combination) is also negative EV. You will loose 6/37 bets on average with this system (as you always bet 6 bets total).
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze

go read it again
      Ok, I'm sorry. :-)
      I've read it now.
      It only breaks even in comparison with other possible bets on roulette.
      In the article they explain it themselfs: "This "strategy" breaks even in the long run, of course, for the simple reason that any linear combination of zero-expectation bets is itself zero-expectation".
      Obviously the "partial" bets (1st column, 3rd column and black) are not zero-EV, they are negative EV (-1/37). Therefore the sum of these (sum is a special case of linear combination) is also negative EV. You will loose 6/37 bets on average with this system (as you always bet 6 bets total).
      no because in the instance numbers which are in 1st or 3rd AND are black come up, then you get a chance for a big payout.

NOTE: the best must be of equal value on 1st, 3rd, and black
      (I'm unsure why you say 6 bets are placed?)

This is why it breaks even.

This is my answer to the thread; the best way to win = least way to lose
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      no because in the instance numbers which are in 1st or 3rd AND are black come up, then you get a chance for a big payout.
      So? If you hit a red number in the 2nd column, you loose it all. :-)
      If you bet on a single number, the payout is much higher (like 35 times your bet).

Yeah, you are right. On wiki they say you bet 2 bets on 1st, 3rd and black, 6 bets in total. You can obviously bet a different amount as long as all bets are equal.

It doesn't. xD

Lets do the math one last time.
      You bet $2 on 1st column, $2 on 3rd column, $2 on black (that's the strategy from wiki).

If you hit a black number from 1st or 3rd column (there are 10 of them), you get 10 bets (4 for black and 6 for column).
      If you hit a red number from 1st or 3rd column (there are 14), you get 6 bets (for column).
      If you hit a black number from 2nd column (there are 8), you get 4 bets (for color).
      If you hit a red number from 2nd column (there are 4), you get 0 bets.
      If you hit zero (there is 1), you get 0.

That gives you grand total of (10*10 + 14*6 + 8*4 + 4*0 + 1*0)/37 (there are 37numbers), which is 216/37 = 5.8378 bets on average.
      Because you always bet 6 bets total, your EV is 5.8378 - 6 = - 0.1622 (which is - 0.1622/6 = - 0.027 or - 1/37 EV on average on a single bet like always in roulette).
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      So? If you hit a red number in the 2nd column, you loose it all. :-)
      If you bet on a single number, the payout is much higher (like 35 times your bet).

Yeah, you are right. On wiki they say you bet 2 bets on 1st, 3rd and black, 6 bets in total. You can obviously bet a different amount as long as all bets are equal.

It doesn't. xD

Lets do the math one last time.
      You bet $2 on 1st column, $2 on 3rd column, $2 on black (that's the strategy from wiki).

If you hit a black number from 1st or 3rd column (there are 10 of them), you get 10 bets (4 for black and 6 for column).
      If you hit a red number from 1st or 3rd column (there are 14), you get 6 bets (for column).
      If you hit a black number from 2nd column (there are 8), you get 4 bets (for color).
      If you hit a red number from 2nd column (there are 4), you get 0 bets.
      If you hit zero (there is 1), you get 0.

That gives you grand total of (10*10 + 14*6 + 8*4 + 4*0 + 1*0)/37 (there are 37numbers), which is 216/37 = 5.8378 bets on average.
      Because you always bet 6 bets total, your EV is 5.8378 - 6 = - 0.1622 (which is - 0.1622/6 = - 0.027 or - 1/37 EV on average on a single bet like always in roulette).

ok thanks for clearing that up, i was basing my facts on wiki- bad idea lol
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sydney69
      With play money.
      ahhaha this imo!
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      I wrote a few notes on roulette into my blog, if anyone is interested :f_grin:
      Augustus's Poker Simulations, Variance, Theory & NLSH Blog
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      hmm i heard the +ev to play roulette is to put let's say $100, if you dont hit then you put $200 on the same thing and so on and so on so that your next bet always has covered your previous losses and if you hit, you make a $100 profit - so if you have enough money to do this, you should be able to hit and once you do, you call it a day and come back tomorrow :)