LT3: 3rd year SNE 6m Hypers (TLDR in OP)

• lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      TLDR

This thread is extremely long so I am writing a summary here for new readers that don't want to read the whole blog but still want to know the story. I will quote the yearly reflection posts.

- Started playing SnGs 'semi-seriously' in 2009 tracking my progress through the low stakes Turbos on FTP (SN 'lessonthree').

Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      :heart: 2010 wrap-up:heart:

Jan - mixing 12s-24s trying to move up to the reg infested MS SnGs on FT.
      Feb - swongs. played mostly 12s, cashed out some of my BR to upgrade my pc
      Mar - played 12s to rebuild my roll. ran hot. consistently putting in +$1k months. 16 tabling at this point.
      Apr - blog dramas, still raping the 12s for >10%.
      May - playing just 24s. adjusting. swinging.
      Jun - solid results on 24s-36s. starting to build confidence. (first $2k month)
      Jul - solid results again on 24s-36s. new record profit month. (12 months of STTs 2s - 36s)
      Aug - got backing and hit the 60s, ran good played good. setting my sights on the 100s.
      Sep - avg month, small sample on 119s didnt go too well.
      Oct - ran like shit, about 4k < ev. 120BIs < ev on 36s.
      Nov - failed @ creating a freeroll. Russian bots spammed it. Best poker month of the year. ran incredibly hot. added 216s+ (lol variance)
      Dec - meh, ran bad. played good. ps.com video coach :)

Overall I am very very happy with my year. I started 2k10 with 2k online playing $12 SnGs in my free time. I built myself up to playing the highest stakes possible with the best players in the world. I'm also very proud to have become a ps.com coach and thanks to everyone for encouraging me to do it.

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do this as a job, but I'm going to give it a good shot in 2k11. I love the freedom of setting my own hours and not stressing about impressing the boss. There is a lot of stress in being a poker professional, but also a lot of satisfaction and rewards if you work hard.

Highlights:
      - - Ranked 13 in Holdem 9 to 10 Players Turbo $36-$100 Total Profit 2010 Leaderboard
      - Winning my first $555 after a 10% suck-out on the bubble.
      - Coaching, both receiving and giving.
      - Receiving encouraging and positive feedback from my first video.
      - Back-to-back +$2k days.

:club: Statistics :club:

Games played: 13341
      Length: 895.8hrs played
      Average duration: 30.1min
      Winnings: $17684.12 + $11438.38 RB = +$29122.50
      Rake: $42344.80
      $/hr: $32.50
      ROI: 3.4%
      EV$ Adjusted ROI: 3.6%

+ ~12k in other bonuses/coaching/staking/etc

= + ~$41k

:diamond: 2010 Graph :diamond:

:club: New 2010 Goals!:club:

• [] 10k profit over 10k games
      • [] become a $55 reg by Dec 31st
      • [] make new friends in the mid-stakes
      • [] take on some more students
      • [] hopefully make some training videos

posting 2k11 goals tomorrow.
      - Played STTs on FTP until Black Friday.
      - Transitioned to SnG MTTs/scheduled for some months.
      - Started playing some live events in my home town.
      - solid first year as a pro.

STTs

MTTs

+~33k from staking/coaching/bonuses

17k stuck in FT :(

total is around 80k.

not bad for my first year as a pro. but i definitely need to work harder in 2012.
      2012 - Transition to 6m hypers. Make SNE .

I feel like I’m writing an acceptance speech. I have some people to thank. Firstly, I want to thank pokerstrategy.com, particularly, Ingrid, Sven and who ever had the idea to implement a staking forum. I want to recognise the long time SnG evaluation forum regulars Kurrkabin, Gavron23 and Demonic226. Also, a special mention to my good mates Chenny8888, Tim64 and BigAl123456. Lastly, to everyone who backed me this year, you made this possible.

The format of this review will be my reflection of the year followed by graphs and some stats.

Reflection

On November 26th 2011 I entered the world of marriage followed by Christmas and a honeymoon. It was December 2011 at a live event in Sydney where I told Chenny8888 that I was relatively bankroll broke for the stakes I wanted to play. I was comfortably rolled for the 30s-60s but I had been playing up to the $300 Turbos during 2011. I wanted to play with the best STT players in the world and maybe make a run for SNE and to do that I needed help. I contacted a few of the large stables to see what they could offer. All of the deals were not appealing to me. Without going into too much detail, I felt I could get a better deal by myself. I began my year long staking quest on the 31st of January 2012, I was already a month behind the SNE chase (my staking thread).

I sold the first block quickly and started grinding the 100s. Results were normal; I was used to the swings. I continued to make profit on the stake and started adding 200s-300s in April. April was my biggest winning month pre-rb (+$13511).

In May I played exclusively 100s+. This is where I noticed the high stakes Turbo environment wasn’t optimal for me. The games were soft, but the volume was lacking. This made it hard to put in enough volume at 200s+ to overcome the high variance inherent in STTs. It was then that I started learning the 6max hypers on stars. I was studying hyper ICM for about 1hr each day while playing the 60s-100s.

In June I toyed with mixing turbos and hypers for maximum table selection but it proved too confusing for my sessions. By July, I had dropped turbos completely and transitioned to playing exclusively hypers. The stake seemed to be going very well, I had gone 5 months without hitting the stoploss and producing a net gain for my backers. Unbeknownst to me, there was a dangerous HM1 bug slowly creeping into my results.

August was another very successful month (+$12k pre-rb) playing the majority of my volume at the 200s. The swings were bigger than I had encountered before and I dealt with a big downswing in September by cutting volume at the 200s to gain confidence. I was setting a daily VPP goal of 4k, but reaching this goal on a consistent basis was an epic failure.

By October my daily VPP goal had risen to 5k and I needed approximately 400k VPPs in the last 3 months of the year. Very doable at the games I was playing but my biggest VPP month so far was 93k. My volume was increasing in October but I was mentally preparing for a big month in December.

The 9th of November 2012, I was running particularly well but something didn’t add up. HM1 showed a big +$6k day, but I was certain my account balance didn’t increase by that much. I decided to check the data view tab and discovered around 10% of my 3rd place finishes from the 60s and 200s were being credited in my HM database as a small profit when, reality is, I received $0 for those finishes. I vividly remember the exact moment I discovered this, my hands were on my head, and I was on the verge of tears. How deep did this go, how much was this going to cost to my bottom line. After three hours of manually editing the errors in my database and cross-checking with each finished block the bottom line was a massive $44k difference in reported profit, and thus profit paid out to backers, compared to actual profit received. I set myself a realistic goal of 70% retrieval and am glad to report that after only 7 weeks I have recovered 93% of misinformed profits paid out to my backers. This episode was a true disaster, but a prime example of the integrity and professionalism inherent in this community. 27 people were wrongly paid over a 6 month period and the response was always supportive and understanding. Once again, I want to thank my backers for their continued support throughout the year, and especially for sticking with me after this catastrophe.

We arrive at December where I need exactly 205k VPPs to achieve SNE. Whenever I took a day off because I wasn’t feeling it and thought ‘It’s ok, I’ll catch up later.’ Here is the ‘later’. I played 129 hours, 8245 games, raked $37,263 for 205000 VPPs. I know this is nothing to proclaim to the world, some hyper regs do this monthly with ease, but for me this was the most I had ever worked at anything. I woke anywhere from 2am-6am every day (nothing unusual for my schedule though). During the last week I was 14 tabling $100-200 6max hypers for 9-10hours (with breaks). This was the first time I had ever played more than 10 tables of 6max and I felt really good about it. Of course, I made more mis-clicks and time-outs than I would like, but I did not feel my game quality slip. However, my stress levels were much higher than optimal. I found myself waking up after only 3-4 hours and not being able to get back to sleep because of the stress of the looming monthly target. I was never in doubt, I was always going to make SNE, but the stress of the December dash is something I never want to experience again.

I am extremely proud of myself and ecstatic with my year. On a more personal note, my wife and I moved to the outskirts of Sydney closer to her work and we plan on buying a house in 2013 and starting a family in 2014. I am grateful that I can play this beautiful game for a living and plan on continuing to challenge myself at high stakes STTs.

My summarised plan for 2013 is to continue to fix leaks in my hyper game and work on sustaining myself at the 200s without backing. My medium term goal involves learning hyper satellites and playing the 300s with a long term goal of playing the 1k-3k WCOOP satellites with jorj95 et al and eventually reaching the 5m VPP milestone on stars (I want that watch!).

Graphs and Statistics

2012 All games all stakes

2012 All hyper turbos (stake/number/ROI/Time/$/Rake/Hrs)

Note: These sample sizes are still SMALL. I will have a better idea of real ROIs after another 30-40k games.

2012 $60-100 hypers

2012 $200 hypers

Note: Don't ask me for EV. The red line for hypers is broken in HM1, ie. it does not calculate EV at all. (at least it's broken in my version of HM1 and I haven't fixed it, nor do i care)

Total net winnings : $24572
      Total net winnings paid out to backers: $12606
      Total net live winnings : $3163

Bonus breakdown (starting as Bronze Star) :

Buying $1.6k bonuses with 100k FPPS : $54301
      Stellar milestone rewards : $44400
      Battle of the Planets : $6093
      Other (collusion refunds/reload bonuses) : $731
      Total bonuses : $105526

Staking (me staking others) : -$176
      Not included : coaching/work for pokerstrategy

Fun stats (ALL PRE RB)

Most $WON in 1 day : $10303 (Dec 20th)
      Most $LOST in 1 day : $10338 (Dec 28th)
      Number of +$ months : 8
      Number of -$ months : 4
      Most $WON in 1 month : $13511
      Most hours played in 1 month : 129 (December)
      Most hours played in 1 day : 10 hours / 679 games / $2566 raked (December 29th)
      Total time played : 1052 hours
      Total AVG BI : $126.6
      Total number of games played : 35922
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

i decided to start a blog here mainly to track my progress and get some feedback on some psychological aspects of my poker 'career' that i might express here.

Ill start by introducing myself: Im a Finance/Accounting student from Australia, been playing poker for almost a year now. Ive tried MTTs/cash/SnGs and after some runs at each my favourite is multi-tabling SnGs.

After some attempts at the $5Bi levels using a 25bi rule (BAD IDEA!) i decided to adjust to a 100Bi rule and drop down to the $2 turbo single table SnGs on FT.

I get rakeback on FT (<3 ps.com!) and right now i can 10table comfortably (<3 dual monitors).

Ill post my graphs and moan and groan about the downswings but my main long term goal at the moment is to reach 2000 games (hopefully by the end of the year) with >10% ROI.

Short term Goals:
      • Clear 100% of the biggest bonus ever promo
      • mark and review all marginal ICM situations
      • watch 5 more SnG silver videos

Current BR: $212

ill post my starting graph

as you can see im running about 25Bi below the EV line at the moment.

im just expecting to get sucked out on when im AKvAJ ; AA v JT ; KK v QJo

i just sit and wait for the suckouts to come.

lets see how i go over the next few hundred games. :)

<3[I]
  • 3059 replies
    • tellef2307
      tellef2307
      Bronze
      Nice blogg:) I am in the same situation as you and will follow this blogg ;)

Tellef
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

just wanted to post my progress over yesterday because im really really proud and happy right now.

finally i stopped getting sucked out and i managed to hit a beautiful upswing over 4 sets. Later on tonight im going to spend an hour reviewing a few close hands and post some in the forums hopefully.

it feels good even though im just break-even so far :)

$62 of FT biggest bonus ever cleared
      BR = $246

• lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      just a quick update,

been running pretty damn good over the past few days. only played a few sets (100 games total) cause ive been busy with uni work and other duties IRL.

finally im up +5bi after a pretty sick 25bi downswing at the start of my SnG adventures.

think ive been playing great. posted a few hands in the forums and worked out one of my major leaks HU and ITM which was losing me a lot of value.

BR = $257
      Biggest Bonus Ever cleared = $71

my plan is to only move up to the $6.50 T when i have 100Bi minimum with at least 5% roi.

maybe in a few months ill be there with a strong game and BR.

at the moment during uni semester im managing around 100-150 games / week so still at least 2 months until i have a decent sample size to analyse my stats.

<3
    • CMENOWCZMUP
      CMENOWCZMUP
      Bronze
      Whats up man

Good luck with all your poker efforts.Thanks for the advice.

Probably be checking your blog from time to time hoping to learn something :s_cool:

PEACE! :s_cool:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      just a quick update.

ive dropped the number of tables i play down to 8. and im trying out the Normal $2 SnGs on FT instead of Turbos. I find my ROI is increasing because i think i have a HUGE post-flop edge at this Bi.

I had a bit of a luck streak while running into monsters during my last few sets of Turbos which moved my actual winnings above my EV line. I have the right to suck out too :P

so far im really enjoying the Normal SnGs. they take double the time to run through but im winning more and enjoying actually playing some post flop poker rather than just boring ICM all the time.

had a really funny 2 hands yesterday. AIPF with AA v KK and the guy turned a K to win. then next hand i had KK AIPF again and a different guy turned over AA. *BIG SIGH* 2 hands straight and im saying in chat "where's my K"
      .... i got my K on the flop. Karma.... for me anyway. the 2nd guy with AA hates his life.

BR: $280
      BBE cleared: $79

here is my graph:

<3
    • adeiush
      adeiush
      Bronze
      Hi.

Nice blog. I'm playing sngs on pokerstars. Will be watching your updates. I'm also multitabling and I'm also on microstakes (as many of us are). So gl.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      I'm going to be putting in some heavy sessions on the weekend while the SnG Madness is on at FT.

getting to bed early tonight, then doing these sessions:
      sat
      7am-3pm
      work
      sun
      7am-5pm

hopefully i can have a few decent runs and get some of the bonus $ that are available :)

also going to try playing continuous instead of sets so i can get more games / hr

:D

<3
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Hi lessthanthreee,

Interesting blog and i've found the same thing on FT, I get a higher ROI playing the $5 tourneys than the $6 turbo's. Where about do you get your graphs from? I think they are really great, I could definately use something like that.

Good luck at tha tables, i'll be checking your progress!

peche
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by peche025
      Where about do you get your graphs from? I think they are really great, I could definately use something like that.

Good luck at tha tables, i'll be checking your progress!

peche
      Hi peche! thanks for reading. i have a program called Holdem Manager. i spent USD$80 to buy the professional version and it is highly +EV! it generates statistics on the players as well as tracks my progress.

in the SnGs i use it to identify regulars and also to identify quickly who are the loose fish in the early stages. its a lot more useful for cash games because SnGs are mostly situational dependant, but still useful!

im hoping to be up at the $5 level in a few weeks when i have 100Bi ready.

good luck to you too!
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      :heart: August Results and Wrap-up :heart:

I've been happy with my play this month. I did a bit of soul searching, found out my game is definitely MTing SnGs. (even if my ROI isnt that great just yet)

I just downloaded table ninja and am practicing so that i can eventually get up to the maximum allowable on FT (16).

I cleared $95/100 of the biggest bonus ever which was a great achievement for me.

Still need to find a few leaks with my end game push / call ranges but im glad to see my EV line is trending up nicely. Even though over the entire month im break-even. :s_confused:

What is very interesting is that over my last 300 games (where i think i played my best poker for the month) my EV ROI was approx 5% which is a nice start. I hope to fix a few leaks and move that line further towards 10% with the actual winning closely following :s_cool:

Current BR: $287 + $95 (waiting) = $382

Another thing im quite proud of is my leader board ranking in my limit.

FT SnG $2 Turbo leader board rank: 52 (overall) 1 (Australia)

I plan on testing the $5+50 normal SnGs 4 tabling when i have 100BI, then moving to the $6 Turbos at $660 (110BI)

I want to make sure i can handle the swings before moving up with confidence.

:club: [B]Goals for September:[/B] :club:

• Earn 1FTP on 25 days playing NL2 to earn the $50 bonus
      • Play 750 SnGs
      • Reach the BR required for $5 normal SnGs
      • Increase MTing to 16tables

The most important thing is that im balancing my life well. I'm spending most of my free time with my partner or with my homework and im happy my life EV is in a permanent upswing because I've got my priorities straight.

I enjoy playing SnGs in my spare time and i hope i can grow my BR over the next month as well.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      oprah is +EV

Ive started 14 tabling and so far its been very profitable! I've played 100 games so far this month and im up 31BI.

very happy with my play. ive made a few mistakes (one huge mistake on the bubble which cost me 1BI) but over-all ive been playing my game, picking my spots and for once my hands are holding up.

I also had some horrible bad luck HU in my last set and managed to get 4 x 2nd place where if i could hit my 60/40's would be up closer to 50BI.

but no complaints here! i think this time of the day (oprah time) is much easier than when i normally play.

this is the first time in my life that ive run above the EV line.

the trend upwards continues and i hope to hit my goal this month to move up to low limits.

:heart: Achievements :heart:
      • FT Leaderboard Rank: 13 (Australia) 1
      • BR: $440
      • FT take 2 days: 4/25
      • Silver SnG videos watched: ALL
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      played 323SnGs so far this month. been happy with my play overall.

yesterday i was pushing in standard spots and running into premium cards time after time. I made up for it today by getting lucky in a few close spots.

after my brief run above the EV line. my winnings trended down as the line kept going up. So right now, im back chasing the line, but still holding a strong ROI so far for the month.

Im getting ready to move up to the $5 SnGs when i reach 100Bi, I am on track to start next month.

:heart: Stats/Info Update :heart:
      Current Sep ROI: 6.5%
      SnGs: 323
      BR: $435
      Take-2 days: 8/25
      $2t FTP leaderboard rank: 7 (overall) 1 (Australia)

I hope once i get out of the micro-stakes i can make gold status on PS.com which would be great cause im running out of videos to watch haha!

one funny thing i have noticed is that the calling ranges of fish on my limit is pretty close to a decent calling range because the fish thinks 'oh Q6s.. ITS SUITED I CALL!' haha.

I have my mid-semester exams in 2 weeks so my volume will drop during the middle of the month. and im hoping to get a new job soon *fingers crossed!*

:club: Interesting Hand :club:

This hand is SICK!; I think KK is a -$EV call here. but he should have just shoved first in and i would have folded lol.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (4 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t4490)
      Hero (SB) (t6280)
      BB (t2180)
      UTG (t550)

Hero's M: 10.47

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 6
      1 fold, Button bets t800, Hero raises to t6280 (All-In), 1 fold, Button calls t3690 (All-In)

Flop: (t9380) 5, 7, 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t9380) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t9380) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t9380

he had KK
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      played 3 sets tonight. wanted to post some sick hands. Im 2 buy-ins away from moving up to $5 SnGs. my mid-term exams are next week so im moving up the week after next :) im excited!

:s_mad: How bad i can run :s_mad:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP1 (t1600)
      Hero (MP2) (t1455)
      MP3 (t1325)
      CO (t2565)
      Button (t1310)
      SB (t1485)
      BB (t90)
      UTG (t2860)
      UTG+1 (t810)

Hero's M: 24.25

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, K
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls t40, 1 fold, Hero bets t160, 4 folds, BB calls t50 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t120

Flop: (t430) 2, 6, 3 (3 players, 1 all-in)
      UTG+1 bets t650 (All-In), Hero calls t650

Turn: (t1730) 9 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t1730) J (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t1730

Results:
      BB had A, 5 (high card, Ace).
      UTG+1 had K, 3 (flush, King high).
      Hero had K, K (one pair, Kings).
      Outcome: UTG+1 won t1730

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t1500)
      BB (t1500)
      UTG (t1500)
      UTG+1 (t1500)
      MP1 (t1500)
      MP2 (t1500)
      MP3 (t1500)
      CO (t1500)
      Hero (Button) (t1500)

Hero's M: 33.33

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K
      6 folds, Hero bets t90, 1 fold, BB calls t60

Flop: (t195) J, 10, Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t165, BB raises to t690, Hero raises to t1410 (All-In), BB calls t720 (All-In)

Turn: (t3015) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t3015) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3015

Results:
      Hero had A, K (straight, Ace high).
      BB had 8, Q (straight, Ace high).
      Outcome: Hero won t1507, BB won t1508

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t1365)
      BB (t1165)
      UTG (t1700)
      UTG+1 (t1570)
      MP1 (t1410)
      MP2 (t1775)
      MP3 (t1455)
      Hero (CO) (t1360)
      Button (t1700)

Hero's M: 15.11

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q
      5 folds, Hero bets t180, 2 folds, BB calls t120

Flop: (t390) 8, 6, J (2 players)
      BB bets t390, Hero raises to t1180 (All-In), BB calls t595 (All-In)

Turn: (t2360) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2360) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2360

Results:
      BB had J, 8 (two pair, Jacks and eights).
      Hero had Q, Q (one pair, Queens).
      Outcome: BB won t2360

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 60/120 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t880)
      BB (t770)
      UTG (t6015)
      MP (t1215)
      CO (t3355)
      Hero (Button) (t1265)

Hero's M: 7.03

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 10
      UTG bets t240, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1265 (All-In), 2 folds, UTG calls t1025

Flop: (t2710) Q, 9, 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t2710) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2710) 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2710

Results:
      Hero had A, 10 (one pair, tens).
      UTG had 10, Q (two pair, Queens and tens).
      Outcome: UTG won t2710
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      (CONTINUED)

:f_love: I can suck out too :f_love:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (5 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP (t3340)
      Button (t2450)
      SB (t4035)
      Hero (BB) (t1825)
      UTG (t1850)

Hero's M: 3.04

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, K
      1 fold, MP bets t1200, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1825 (All-In), MP calls t625

Flop: (t3850) K, K, K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t3850) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t3850) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t3850

Results:
      Hero had 9, K (four of a kind, Kings).
      MP had 10, 10 (full house, Kings over tens).
      Outcome: Hero won t3850

When i reach my goal (almost there) im going to write a long post summarising some statistics from my 6 weeks of playing this limit. Im looking forward to taking a 'big picture' look at the last 6 weeks.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      :heart: SnG $2.25 Turbo's on FTP Beaten!:heart:

BR: $510 :s_cool:

Having reached my required 100Bi's for the next SnG level on FTP I'm writing a summary of my time at the $2 limit. I had a lot of fun, learnt HEAPS about SnG play. I cant wait to break into the low stakes with confidence in a few days. I would also like to include some advice in the relevant sections to micro-stakes SnG grinders who might be reading this.

:club: Statistics :club:

Games played: 1086
      Length: 42 days. (78.7hrs played)
      Average duration: 31.4min
      Winnings: $89.52 (45Bi)
      Rake: $270.50
      $/hr: $1.14
      ROI: 3.7%
      EV$ Adjusted ROI: 4.9%
      Best $2SnG leaderboard ranking: 7th Overall, 1st Australia

In my opinion, micro-stakes SnGs can be frustratingly tough at times because of the high rake and the high volume necessary to overcome the variance. I went through a break-even stretch of 606games in my first month which was pretty horrible.

Make sure you remember that 10Bi swings are STANDARD and you need to multi-table as much as possible to boost your $winnings with rake-back. A standard 5% ROI is achievable even after such horrible swings and runs as I was having (look at graph).

I would like to note that I began by 10 tabling, then bumped it up to 12, then to 14, then attempted 16. I had quite a good run while 14 tabling but i felt I wasn't as good at instant ICM decisions so i returned to 12 tabling which i have been doing for the past 400 games. I am comfortable at the moment but would like to move up again when i feel i have more experience. (If you want to multi-table at all i suggest downloading tableninjaFT!!)

I hope my experience and stats can give some perspective to players also trying to get past this first level of SnG.

:diamond: Graph :diamond:

Biggest EV Difference: 28Bi
      Number of 20Bi swings: ~3
      Estimated average swing: 10Bi

Finish distributions:
      1st: 12.5
      2nd: 12.9
      3rd: 14.2
      4th: 14.6
      5th: 15.4
      6th: 13.9
      7th: 9.2
      8th: 4.5
      9th: 2.7

Don't ever underestimate the power of a first place finish. After i focused more on my HU play my sessions went from 'decent' 2-3Bi winnings to a phenomenal 10-15Bi profit. If you feel you are lacking in HU push/call ranges focus on this! the difference between 1st and 2nd place can really affect your winnings.

The only other important advice I can give from a finish distribution viewpoint is to get very very loose when you are the short stack with 5-6 remaining. you must take some chances and gamble to make it to the bubble.

:spade: --------------------------------- :spade:

My immediate plans are to move to 8 tabling $5.50 Normal SnGs. I feel that i need to concentrate a lot more on player reads and post-flop play in a normal speed SnG which is why I am reducing my multi-tabling for this limit. I hope to move up to the $6.60 Turbo's quite quickly but I am well aware of the risk of an instant downswing so to increase my chances of moving up successfully I will wait until I have 115Bi's. (I will post my specific goals in a few days before I start)

Until then, i have my mid-semester exams in a few days, so no poker until Thursday night. :f_cry:

I'd like to finish by thanking TheNose, Chenny8888, Unam and steinek. I have watched all silver and bronze videos and your explanations helped me a lot! <3

Tools used:
      tableninjaFT
      holdem manager
      pokerstrategy.com !!! <3
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      :heart: $5 Progress Report :heart:

Tourneys played: 104
      ROI: 15.6%
      ITM: 42.3%

Winnings: $89.50
      Pending bonus: $50 take-2 promotion (cleared 100%) + $12 rakeback

current BR: $599

been playing solid on this limit. ran pretty hot the first few sessions then quite horribly over the last 40 games or so, but still managed to maintain a very good ROI so far.

Feeling great, still managing to get my money in good most of the time, just a prisoner to variance :f_cool:

Im determined to get out of these Normal speed tourneys. I feel I have such a huge edge in the late-stage game, i just want to get there as quick as possible. Also i can multi-table a lot more with turbos because I dont have to gain reads on post flop play or focus on my own post flop play.

Waiting to hit 115BIs to move on up. I can smell the money. :s_cool:

:club: What a cooler! :club:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t4080)
      BB (t1310)
      UTG (t945)
      UTG+1 (t1830)
      MP1 (t1550)
      MP2 (t1075)
      CO (t1395)
      Hero (Button) (t1315)

Hero's M: 21.92

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, A
      2 folds, MP1 bets t140, 2 folds, Hero raises to t400, SB calls t380, 1 fold, MP1 raises to t1550 (All-In), Hero calls t915 (All-In), SB calls t1150

Flop: (t4455) 2, 4, 5 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t4455) 3 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t4455) 2 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t4455
      Main pot: t3985 between SB, MP1 and Hero, won by SB
      Side pot 1: t470 between SB and MP1, won by SB

Results:
      Hero had A, A (straight, five high).
      SB had A, A (straight flush, five high).
      MP1 had K, K (flush, King high).
      Outcome: SB won t4455

:spade: Tough Bubble spot :spade:

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 80/160 Blinds (4 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t6900)
      Hero (SB) (t1830)
      BB (t2195)
      UTG (t2575)

Hero's M: 7.62

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J
      UTG bets t2575 (All-In), 3 folds

Total pot: t400

villain is decent. 17/8 filtered over 38 hands on bubble
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Really interesting blog - keep it up. I'm also mt'ing SnGs on FT. Just moved up to the 11$ but with a less conservative brm than you - I have about 80BI.

I only play about 6 a day though as I'm working, but I do find that it makes reads and player adaptation easier HU. Ofc, $/hr are no way near the heavy mters.

All the best and maybe see you on the tables in due course. I'm on the turbos atm, though.

Tim
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      thanks Tim! I also read your blog, I like the way you articulate your thoughts and your psychological analysis is excellent!

Hopefully I can mix it up with the $11 turbos in a few more weeks :)
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Nice progress lessthanthreee, your ROI looks really nice even if the sample isn't that big yet, it should definitely be sustainable on the 5.5$ SnGs. I was just wondering, how many hours do u play per day and how many tables do u play at the same time?