Known players:
      SB:
      $12,66
      Hero:
      $5,00
      MP2:
      $2,95

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.68 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:spade: , J:diamond:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0,05, 3 folds, SB raises to $0,25, Hero calls $0,20, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($0,55) J:club: , 8:spade: , 3:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,30, Hero raises to $0,90, SB calls $0,60.

Turn: ($2,35) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $11,51 (All-In), Hero calls $3,85 (All-In), SB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($10,05) K:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10,05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, jacks (Js Jd)
      SB shows a pair of queens (Qd Qh)

Hero wins with three of a kind, jacks (Js Jd)
  • 5 replies
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      JJ is strong enough for a 3-bet pre-flop with position on the SB and then do your best to get it on when you hit top set, fortunatly he does ti for you :D
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      It depends a bit I guess. I think I'm 3betting this to but a cold call is ok imo.
      SB raise range is quite tight normally... it depends a bit on villain stats. If this guy raises like 10% of his hands or less I'd just cold call, if he raises a normal amount I would definitely 3bet.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

There are merits to both calling and 3betting preflop, although if SB is loose you should definitely repop him preflop to avoid him outdrawing you with utter garbage. If he's tight playing in position with the ability to make deceptively a strong overpair / set is good too.

Postflop is fine obviously.

Hope it helps.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      but if we just cold call here how do we proceed when we dnt hit our set and an over card comes to our jacks? Surely just folding is too weak and under playing our hand but raising/floating turns our hand into quite an expensive bluff. Whereas with a PF 3bet we have initiative and postion with a strong hand which is alot more profitable.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sure it's a trade-off, you need a good idea of the range of hands that SB is raising and what flops you're still a favorite on against that range to play your JJ correctly postflop. Which is exactly why you want to 3bet loose guys, as they could raise anything and bet erratically, so you'll be in the dark most of the time.

If on the other hand you know that SB plays some tight 12/9 style and generally has a clue what he's doing, you can put him on something like AJ+/KQ/77+ immediately and when you get a Qxy flop you know that except AQ KQ and the occasional sets most of his hands didn't really like that flop.

What you do after that is a question of how often that guy c-bet flop / c-bet turn. Chances are he'll fire at that flop with anything but really he'll only continue to bet on most turns if he has you beat, because it looks like the Q didn't scare you, so you can usually get a showdown and be good unless he 6-outs you. If he's mindlessly firing both flop and turn with all his range then you can call both streets. If he's never c-betting unless he hit something then folding is fine too. You get the picture.

Hope it helps.