How many more years will poker be popular ?

• AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I really wanted to hear some opinions on how long you think poker will be popular in world and how long it will actually be profitable for you to play poker , as the poker boom started somewhere around 2003 when Moneymaker won the WSOP and can easily end in some years when the boom is over .. What are your thoughs on that ? Do you think that poker will stay popular or it will be played only by the good regs after some years and will be very very tough to beat as there will be no bad players ?
  • 40 replies
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      hopefully UIGEA will be lifted in the US and there will be SCHOOLS OF AMERICAN FISH :D
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Interesting thought.. I also wonder where poker will be in few years and if its gonna still be profitable :/
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dadude77
      hopefully UIGEA will be lifted in the US and there will be SCHOOLS OF AMERICAN FISH :D
      Hehe ye lets hope in that =)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it isn't popular because of moneymaker, it's popular because...... it's a great game. it will be popular until there's an even better game to replace it. maybe in 100 years, maybe never.
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze
      I think poker will become so popular like football :)
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      ~5y left for it to be supersoft imo, but ofc many many more y for it to remain popular
    • Pokerzvaigzne
      Pokerzvaigzne
      Bronze
      No no poker years ad just started and it will be loong time popular just like blackjack, and other cassino games :)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      ~3,5
    • Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      Chris Moneymaker didn't made poker popular to the fishes (Maybe only in USA :D ). And i think you don't have to worry about lack of fishes at the tables. Still for most of the people it's just a question of gambling and you'l get your money anyways. Well yeah i think after some years there could be a change and it won't be that every second student plays poker ( Happens to be so in my university :D ) But i like to agree to the bronze some posts before. If football is still popular, i think poker is also staying this much popular.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I think it will still continue to be popular going forward many decades, but ofc it might evolve and different variants may emerge.

Interesting thought, good thread, makes you think doesn't it.

Bart
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      NL Hold'em is the most popular now because it's an interesting format for tv. Perhaps after a few years (maybe a decade?) another variant like Omaha might compete for or take over mainstream popularity. I don't think poker's general popularity will start shrinking, it's an enjoyable game and a growing industry. I'm also not particularly worried about the average players getting tougher as there will always be gamblers, and less popular games like 7 card stud will always have tons of players who have no idea what they're doing.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Poker is popular? :P Not where I come from. 90% of the people I know have never even given it any thought. But I realize that's not a very good way to look at things. Prolly should have looked at some numbers before commenting.

I think it'll keep growing for many years to come.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I think poker has a loooong boom left... if USA lifts the and Asia... wait til Asia finds out about the awesomeness of the game... and that is coming :f_love:
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      NL Hold'em is the most popular now because it's an interesting format for tv. Perhaps after a few years (maybe a decade?) another variant like Omaha might compete for or take over mainstream popularity. I don't think poker's general popularity will start shrinking, it's an enjoyable game and a growing industry. I'm also not particularly worried about the average players getting tougher as there will always be gamblers, and less popular games like 7 card stud will always have tons of players who have no idea what they're doing.
      definitely, especially with the pros at full tilt playing PLO so often you can count on it!
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      unless it will be declared illegal, i see no reason for poker to continue to expand exponentially and get tougher but of course still beatable (if the rake isn't too high, there will always be some statistical advantage even if you are able to take it or not). I think that because people started changing their perceptions about gambling, starting to understand there's maths to it, which will generate new waves of players and because of the way the society is evolving: fewer and fewer go the conservative way of a steady job with fixed income, and the world generally gets more and more receptive and understanding (think about mentalities about colour of the skin, sex, homosexuality, religion, etc. and how they are changing..)

My father for example feels like stock market trading is something you can make money from, playing cards is not. I guess 90%+ of the people around here think this way, but this will sloooooowly change.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      AFAIK people are still being born and discovering poker. There is lots of room for expansion, only a tiny percentage of the world's population is playing online at any time

(I estimate pokerstars + full tilt = 1/2 million, and another 1/2 million for all the rest at peak) Only about one in 7000 people on the planet are online poker players.

Pokerstars just set a record for number of people online at once last week.

Then there's countries like India and China, with >1billion people each that are hardly represented on these sites.

Also, I think some of the top players will get bored/go live retire or eventually die off. I think there's at least a few bets on Doyle Brunson.

Poker has the advantage (unlike market trading) that the rules are fixed and there are only 52 cards. In the stock market, they can print more cards and leverage them against decks that are full of deuces. The dealers know which cards are coming before the other players, and the whole system is rigged. Which do I trust more?
    • DjAdolfMixer
      DjAdolfMixer
      Bronze
      When it comes to online poker the sky is the limit,on the other hand live poker might dip in popularity.

1.Online is more accessible

2. Rake

3.Beginner friendly

4.Recession
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DjAdolfMixer
      When it comes to online poker the sky is the limit,on the other hand live poker might dip in popularity.

1.Online is more accessible

2. Rake

3.Beginner friendly

4.Recession
      1,2,3 agreed... 4. not-so-much... if anything I think the recession has made all poker tougher. With more people putting effort into improving thier game to try and make money, and those who can't be bothered having less disposable income to donk away on bottom pair :f_p: I think online poker has a long fruitful life ahead with many markets untapped, but an economic upswing will boost this...