Quiz of the Week: Weak Draws

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hello fellow PokerStrategists!

As an experienced player in Fixed Limit, it is crucial to take into account weak draws: they often tip the balance when it comes to choosing your line.

Everybody who is familiar with the basic strategy knows about flush draws and straight draws - odds and outs are applied easily and you can quickly make a decision.

Things start getting more complicated when switching to the topic of weak draws: overcards, backdoor flush draws and backdoor straight draws are almost irrelevant in No Limit, but in Fixed Limit poker, they can make the difference between call, fold or even raise.

Without mastering the technique of adequately discounting our outs and factoring in even the weakest of draws, it's impossible to be successful on the upper echelons of Fixed Limit gameplay.

Test your intuition in these close spots:

• 12 replies
    • kAAhlo
      kAAhlo
      Bronze
      I have a problem with question 1.
      I think a fold is viable here. What does the lag openlimp? Against an openraise we wouldn't even defend preflop, so I'd really hesitate to invest money postflop with a gutshot in a 1bb pot, which I wouldn't have joined under normal circumstances. Your assumption is that the lag would openraise any ace so you decide to semibluff, but can we represent top pair after we've taken the freeplay? Villain could identify our flopraise as weakness and 3bet the flop, which would be worst case scenario with at least 4 clean outs.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      With poster above about question 1.

But I also have a querry about question 7. How can you count an 9-high BDFD as 2 outs against a LAG? Maybe the platinum articles say different (haven't gotten to those yet), but so far I've learned that a 9-high BFDF against 1 or 2 opponents counts as 0.75 outs?
    • DaveX77
      DaveX77
      Bronze
      Hi,

Thank you for this nice and quite tough quiz.
      I have just one comment to question 8:
      KQJ BDSD is in fact like 1-gap BDSD, because only T will give us OESD on turn and as the board is 2-suited we can give ourselves just 0.5 out for this draw. Even then it is quite close, but in my opinion fold might be a better option in that spot.

Best Regards
      Dave
    • DaveX77
      DaveX77
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's a 2-card BDFD, so you can count it as 2 outs even if it's 9-high. 0.75 outs is for 9-high one card BDFD (2-suited flop and you have just 9 of that suit and your 2nd holecard is of another suit).

Best Regards
      Dave
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaveX77
      Hi,

It's a 2-card BDFD, so you can count it as 2 outs even if it's 9-high. 0.75 outs is for 9-high one card BDFD (2-suited flop and you have just 9 of that suit and your 2nd holecard is of another suit).

Best Regards
      Dave
      Ah yes of course! Blond moment :P
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      1) A LAG with 35% wts? ;)

6) " tendenziell passiv" Should be "tendency to be passive" or "rather passive"
      (3 players) should be (2 players). Sorry. *g*

9) "flod" = "fold" ^^

You have achieved a total 17 of 20 possible points. This corresponds to 85 %!

Meh. Should concentrate more on the questions than on the spelling errors. *g*
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      12/20

You should re-read the articles before attempting 50c/1$ shorthanded!
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      ditto. Shame that some of the articles needed for sucess at .5/1.00 require platinum rank. Gonna go 20 table.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BDL
      ditto. Shame that some of the articles needed for sucess at .5/1.00 require platinum rank. Gonna go 20 table.
      Glad to see you finally understand the need to multitable till your eyes bleed. :f_eek:
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      12/20

You should re-read the articles before attempting 50c/1$ shorthanded!
      lol :D
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      scored 15/20 :P
    • ronekinky
      ronekinky
      Bronze
      i got 8/20.. that was a shock! i was like, wtf am i missing here..but then i noticed it was fixed limit. relief! i have never played fixedlimit in my life. perhaps i dont completely suck afterall. :f_eek: