Do u think Poker is a sport?

• 43 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I think it can be considered as a sport. Look at the wikipedia definition of sport --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

However mainly peoples views and opinions decide whether it is or not ;)

-Jack
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Videogames are considered sport, why not poker? :f_love:
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      I think it's a game.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Of course it is not.

Place one above average PS player vs 7 best players in the world (by titles winnings or whatever) and let them play SNG 1000 times. This player will not be favorite but he will win eventualy small portion of times.

And now put above average sprinter vs 7 best sprinters in the world, he will will be last mayority of times (i mean in some runs somebody will get injury).

Same goes with almost all sport disciplines.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Wiki links to 'mind sports' which redirects to games of skill. This is a more accurate definition.

Those who call poker a sport give it too much credit. All modern sports have a regulatory board. Even worse, poker is banned in some countries. It is not a sport, no point trying to glamourise it. We play to win money. Most other sportsmen do not mainly play for monetary gains, they seek to be the best and for fame and do genuinely have a passion. Whilst many poker players may share these values, not all do. I.e I'm sure player A would not trade places with player B even if player B was better but had not won many WSOP events due to bad luck. However, most footballers hypothetically speaking would much rather win the world cup in return for giving up a portion of income. This is the crucial difference in attitude for sport. A more obvious difference would be athleticism.

It is a game of skill and chance.
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      It's chess, but with an aftertaste of luck.
    • thunderbird56
      thunderbird56
      Bronze
      IMO, poker is a game and not a sport. Simply a sport makes us heathier but poker doesn't, even in some cases it may cause some heath problems e.g back problems...;)
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I don't believe poker to be a sport in the true sense of the word. There is no sportsmanship, a good player is a selfish player who will stop at nothing to win more money, and couldn't care less if some other player loses his house. Then there's the luck factor, I'm not even sure how it would fit in the definition of sport.

I wouldn't go as far as to compare it to chess. It is similar in the aspect of making the most (or biggest) mistakes will lead you to losing the game, however you can force a win in chess, but never in poker. Also, poker is an indepletable game at any limit, whereas in chess there's a perfect game which, when discovered, will significantly lower the popularity of chess and decrease the number of professionals.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      if there's no physical effort, I don't consider it a sport.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thunderbird56
      IMO, poker is a game and not a sport. Simply a sport makes us heathier but poker doesn't, even in some cases it may cause some heath problems e.g back problems...;)
      When I said Videogames ARE a sport, I was serious, this invalid your theory as videogames may have the same effects :f_grin:
    • Irooz
      Irooz
      Bronze
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Poker is not a game.. Poker is not a sport.. Poker is not a gamble..

Poker is a life discipline. Thats why we love it =)
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      if there's no physical effort, I don't consider it a sport.
      chess is a sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      i know. and?
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      i know. and?
      just saying not all sports have to require physical effort
    • luvr7
      luvr7
      Bronze
      People have already said it and have said good reasons. It's not a sport, it's a game. It's on the sports channel cause they don't know where else to put it.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      You guys are forgetting where the word sport originates from.

The word sport has to do with fun, leisure and recreation. We still use it this way occasionally to contrast people who do it as a profession: sport fishing and sport hunting.

Sport has never actually meant something done professionally with a regulatory body, insane salaries, tons of scandals, plenty of drugs, and lots of women. Yet somehow people have decided that it's not a sport if it doesn't involve some kind of physical skill, sweating or any other of a number of qualifications. Usually these qualifications are just so the other party can prove that his hobby is superior to yours.

There are many ways that our society, or at least American society, has decided that poker is a sport. You can find it on ESPN, there are major competitions sponsored by big companies, and people make professional livings playing and endorsing poker. You'll find these are all characteristics of modern sports.

We also know a lot of people play poker for sport. They play to have fun, pass the time, socialize with friends, and any number of recreational reasons.

Since it is so easy to prove poker is a sport you are only spinning your wheels trying to prove it's not. I suggest you work on a more interesting theorem such as 0.999... = 1 .
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces

The word sport has to do with fun, leisure and recreation. We still use it this way occasionally to contrast people who do it as a profession: sport fishing and sport hunting.
      LOL, my fiance is doing a masters degree in translation. Word origins aka etymology (sp?) give me headaches.

The argument that it is a sport because of the origin of the word is a little ridiculous. Think of all the words where the meaning has changed over time. What once was will not always remain.

Poker is not a sport. Is it fun to do? Yes. Do people enjoy watching it on TV? Yes. Sport? NO!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces

Since it is so easy to prove poker is a sport you are only spinning your wheels trying to prove it's not.
      Hmmm... I'd always held tokyoaces view.. however the definition quoted above says the noun "sport" is a "game involving physical exercise".

So whilst it is a game, and it is good sport, it doesn't involve physical exercise in any sense I can see (except if you're Hevad Khan - and he DEFINITELY needs the exercise).

Having noted all this, there is a significant skill component to the game, and as far as I'm concerned is close enough to be considered a sport as makes no difference.

And whilst it may be a fine line, I'd consider competitive pro Monopoly, Ludo and Chinese checkers games; poker, scrabble and chess sport - just based on the amount skill makes to the results of these games.

I guess I'd define competitive games influenced significantly by skill sport. FWIW.

Definining significantly on the other hand.. real debate there. Over to you Mr UIGEA fan!