When it's time to realise that poker is not for you, and move on?

• wickdclown
      wickdclown
      Bronze
      Sorry, if its the wrong place for this post.

I started playing poker because:
      a.) I live in a place where average wage people earn a month is ~650$. It seems possible to earn this amount each month playing poker, and from lots of brag posts it seems easy. I am college graduate, but I can't find a decent job (if you know of vacancy in IT department lemme know ;) ). So poker looked like a solution for some financial problems.
      a.) I find poker interesting.

So Ive been playing 6handed nl10 cash games for 4 months. That is about 300000 hands. Results? About break even. All the profit it made (~500$) came from rake-back/bonuses/promotions. Talk about beating the limit. For the past week Ive been loosing 2-3 bi each day. I'm starting to really hate poker and French who call my pocket aces with j9 and win with straight :tongue:

I have read all ps articles up to platinum, watched all SH videos. I try to play TAG (my stats ~ 18/14/2). So I'm not gambling. I guess I just suck in poker.

After this shitty week I'm really thinking about quitting the poker and looking for something else (or just doing nothing).

Or maybe I should just take a break? How many hands it would take you to realize that you should just quit?

p.s. if someone good at poker would like to donate a private coaching I'm up for it :f_p:

[sorry for grammar mistakes, English is not my first language]
  • 39 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok...

First of your breaking even with rake. Thats pretty good by itself and your already better then most players now.

I don't think you have to quit, just take a break and not do anything poker related for a while.

Then come back for a fresh start.

And yes do look for something else too. Poker should not be your main source of income at this stage, thats just too much stress and what not.
    • vladd20
      vladd20
      Bronze
      i think you should try to improve your game...because it s not that good to be break even at nl10 maybe you re not playing the game you should....try changing it to fl or maybe sng s see how that works....
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Being a break-even poker player is a MAJOR accomplishment. You should be proud of that honestly.

There must not be an article on how tiny the edge is in poker because everyone around here seems to miss the fact that it's actually quite small. You are probably only one leak away from being above that break-even mark. Are you reviewing your play and posting hands that you find difficult? The only way to move on from the point that you are at now is to have someone take a close look at your play and provide you with some feedback.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Study more (game) and play less. Review your sessions. Don't mass multitable.
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      dude i was in your exact shoes 4 months ago. i had been playing poker for a looong while and was pretty much breakeven. in the end i tilted and lost the last bit of my BR. i played 12+ tables sss back then.

then a few days after i got 20$ in RB. i played some nl100 (still tilting) and got lucky and pretty soon i had 100$.

i then decided to take another approach to poker. i started playing 4 tables instead of 12+ and started to make more notes and observations.
      i have been winning ever since...
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Being a break-even poker player is a MAJOR accomplishment. You should be proud of that honestly.

Very true...........because of rake the majority of players are below breakeven.

However Poker should be played for enjoyment IMO at these stakes.

Wickdclown what country are you in? $650/month......may not be as bad as it seems.

GL
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      300k hands on NL10 breakeven simply means you must improve your game, not play more hands. I know people in here mean well when they say being breakeven is good (because in fact you are winning like 5bb/100 or whatever the rake is), but if you're looking to make something more out of poker you need study. Private coaching for NL10 is overkill, instead use the free hand evaluation forums!!!! They're the best thing you can use, there's a limit on hands/day posted for a reason - so you can post until you hit it ;)
    • kAoChAn
      kAoChAn
      Bronze
      I'm a noob and I've been playing poker (including play money) around 5 months and I think it's such a short time to consider if anyone is destined or not to be a poker pro...it's true though that not everyone's a prodigy at the game...

I think your stats are good, (I won't post mine because I suck, I haven't even profited yet, LOL) for someone who's been playing for less than a year, I guess changing your approach to the game would help you break the limit because so far you're not losing...

I'd probably think poker is not for me if after 1 year my BR remains around $100 (with the PS bonus) despite all efforts :f_p:
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      @fongie i didnt know there was a limit?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      There is, not sure what though :P
    • wickdclown
      wickdclown
      Bronze
      I play only 4 tables recently, just spend lots of time on it.
      I'll try posting in hand evaluation forum. But I think the problem is that i fold some hands I should be playing. And these aren't so obvious for me as they doesn't result in big loss or wins.
    • wickdclown
      wickdclown
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Wickdclown what country are you in? $650/month......may not be as bad as it seems.
      I live in Lithuania, one of those post-soviet countries. I earn less than that in my job. As I see it, the lower wages, the lower expenses, the more sense to play poker and win $$. Too bad it doesn't work, in my case:)
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Same here. I live in the same pathetic country, which will be last to recover from crisis (along with Latvia and Bulgaria). I say let's stick to poker because we don't have another choice (at least I don't, impossible to find a job).
    • pokermyth
      pokermyth
      Bronze
      Try and play more tornament poker, i seem to make money on the tornaments and loss it just as fast on the cash games ?(
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Grinding micros sucks. Having badly played job sucks even more. So it's obvious. When I turned pro I had $130 (typed correct) and I lost my job with $500 monthly salary (average salary in my country is $800 or something like that). In first 4 months I made approx. $15K so I can't complain at all.
      That 4 months was full of improving my game, full of learning, reading, watching vids, playing with PokerStove... In that period I had so many times crazy dreams about odds or about hands I played that day, lol.
      The most difficult thing is to get up to $1K. When you reach that you're rollin'...
    • Falco84
      Falco84
      Bronze
      I don't know what to say, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those stats a bit tight?

At NLSH games I think you should widen your range of cards. Maybe that's the problem, try 25VPIP.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Nope, the stats are fine. You can even play tighter at NL 10 and still make a decent profit. I wouldn't play any loser at this limit than he already does.
    • Falco84
      Falco84
      Bronze
      I was telling from my expirience at NL4. Playing QJ, KJ, pocket pairs, and A suited from position, is quite profitable. I don't know about NL10.

I would welcome more opinions, because I plan to move there in a week or two.

We are talking BSS right?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      play sngs, any donkey can make 1500$ a month in 33$ sngs