Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $3.07

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6:club: , 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO calls $0.08, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) J:club: , 6:diamond: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.19, Hero calls $0.11.

Turn: ($0.57) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.57) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO raises to $2.80 (All-In), Hero...?

Slowplaying is not the best choice here right?
  • 5 replies
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I think he made a higher set on the flop am I right?

3bet him on the flop and try to get it all in right there. But turn as well.
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Hmm, if someone played like that vs me, I'd start thinking of a set of 8's or even J's (unlikely since he flatted) since there is nothing he can represent with a raise beyond overpair (again, he flatted, so unlikely) and TPTK. From his shove on the river and the check on the turn, it looks like he is slowplaying as well, so it would most likely eliminate TPTK and overpair.

So if I was playing here and unless I deduced the guy purposely bluff raises twice or he is a complete retard (very possible at these stakes), I would probably make a difficult laydown. Then again, some people on these limits would actually slowplay AA/KK here, so my action would depend on the villain.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      I'll wait for the coach's reply and then I'll post the result. Thanks for your input guys!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You can't be afraid of the raise after c-betting so small, it's like telling a guy that you're weak and then being surprised that he attacked the weakness. He could have nothing trying to get you off of your nothing, he could have a J that is trying to get value against whatever you have that doesn't seem too great. I'd just c-bet 3/4 and go broke pretty much no matter what happens, i don't think you should be looking to fold sets at nl2 pretty much ever, if he shows you a higher set it's a cooler.

As played it's really gross since he doesn't need anything to raise your weak flop bet and check behind the turn. Plus you haven't shown that much strength either on the turn and the river, so your bet could look like some kind of bluff or newly obtained one pair hand that he might be trying to valueraise with some kind of two pairs like JT that value-raised the flop, then got somewhat spooked by the turn K until it spiked a T on the river. When in doubt don't fold a set, make a note on the result for later use and move on.

Hope it helps.
    • pablomeza
      pablomeza
      Bronze
      Thanks again for the review tamairlarace, here is the complete hand for anyone interested to see it:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $3.07

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6:club: , 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO calls $0.08, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) J:club: , 6:diamond: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, CO raises to $0.19, Hero calls $0.11.

Turn: ($0.57) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.57) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO raises to $2.80 (All-In), Hero calls $1.43 (All-In), CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.03

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows trío, seises (6c 6h)
      CO shows escalera, as alto (Qs Ac)

CO wins with escalera, as alto (Qs Ac)

I of course was willing to go broke with my set no matter what, but slowplaying the set cost me and he probably would've folded to a bigger cbet or 2nd barrel, saving me $2 and netting me a few extra cents in the process instead of leaving me -$2. Lesson learned not to slowplay sets ever. If you keep getting called great, it's either a cooler which is very hard to predict/read or an overpair or a draw, either way always go broke!