Coaching: No-Limit [Beginner] with Bierbaer

• Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Dear PokerStrategists,

welcome to the feedbackthread for the No Limit Bigstack Strategy Basic coaching by Bierbaer.

Coaching Info:
      • Name: NL BSS Beginner's Coaching (No Limit Hold'em Cashgame)
      • Coach: Bierbaer
      • Time: Fridays 20:00-21:30 Middle European Time

What will you learn in this coaching?
      In this coaching Bierbaer imparts the knowledge and general approach to the game to become a solid player who beats the microstakes. Together with him you'll develop a gameplan for all situations that arise when you start to play the bigstack strategy - mostly with the help of our strategy articles.
      To make the coaching as varied as possible there is a variety of different formats and topics each week:

Liveplay
      Bierbaer plays several tables of NL SH cashgame and NL FR cashgame and explains his thought process throughout the session.
      You can ask questions about hands or anything else and discuss your opinions and approaches with the other members and Bierbaer.

Hand evaluations
      You can post your hands and we'll evaluate them together. This allows you to get direct feedback for your play and gives you a chance to discuss alternative line.
      To find out how it works exactly - click the spoiler!
      1. Bierbaer will analyse hands which were posted or cross-linked in this thread or a separate one that will be announced during the coaching.

2. Simply post a hand into the hand evaluation forum and drop the link into this thread or post the hand directly into this thread (or the hand evaluation thread). These hands will be discussed in the upcoming coaching session.

3. Join the coaching - Of course you are also welcome when you did not post any hands.

4. In case you do not have interesting hands to post, there is of course a backup plan. Just pick any hand you find worthy to discuss from the No Limit Strategy discussion and hand evaluation boards - courtesy of many other PokerStrategists.

Help! How to convert hands?
      No problem, just check our small guide.
      Find out everything about hand evaluations here.

Strategy discussions
      In this type of coaching a certain topic will be analyzed carefully (topics are listed in the coaching plan).
      For this purpose Bierbaer prepares the topic and presents it.
      During the presentation and afterwards you get a chance to fill gaps in your knowledge by askig questions and posting topic-related hands.

A few words from your coach:
      My name is Philipp and I'm a 24 year old math and informatics student. Pokerwise I play NLHE 6max up to and including NL200. I also sometimes play PLO100 6max and NL100 HU.
      In the beginning of my "career" I started out with FL FR, I eventually switched over to FL SH and played up to 1/2 and 2/4. I realised that No Limit games were much softer at that time - I switched to NL 50SH and after some trouble finally started improving & moved up!

Hope to see you in the coachings :) .

Best regards,
      Bierbaer/Phil
  • 237 replies
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      your hand evaluations r preety good and u r quick in responding to threads. :D
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      Thx, but the last two weeks i wasn't as fast in responding as i wished i was.
      Had a lot of stuff going on.

Or was the whole post meant ironically :D ?
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justWayne
      you played one time a bluff induse with your hittet k on the turn, then comes the queen. you have had ak in your hand. why do you block on the river and dont wait for the minbet if you are shure you will fold your block bet if he answers
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed)

MP3 ($12.38)
      MP2 ($3.39)
      SB ($9.67)
      UTG ($2.45)
      Hero (BB) ($10.15)
      UTG+1 ($11.06)
      Button ($3.90)
      MP1 ($5.27)
      CO ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:spade: , A:diamond:
      1 fold, UTG+1 bets $0.30, 6 folds, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 4:spade: , 7:spade: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: ($0.65) K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46

River: ($1.57) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.62, UTG+1 calls $0.62

Total pot: $2.81

Hi,

as promised here's the answer to the last question:

My thought process in the hand was that by check/calling the river i would lose a normal sized bet if I was behind, so let's say at least a 1/2 potsize bet (~$0.75).

By betting myself I lose $0.62 if i get raised - and I'm pretty sure he's not raising worse hands because the instinctive way to play a worse hand for him in this spot is to call.

He is also rarely bluffraising because if he has any kind of pair and thinks I'm on a busted draw - he can still call because he's ahead of these busted draws.

Additionally if he has a hand like AQ or QJs he's checking it back oftentimes. So I'd lose value in this case.
      Also if I'd bet bigger i could scare away hands like Qx.

Btw: I'm not completely happy about my check/call on the turn anymore, I think I should've bet there.
      Most opponents on NL10 are not aggressive enough to bluffbet the K, so I should rather bet out myself to protect my hand - if he has Kx he's calling anyway.

I hope this helped.

Best regards,
      Bierbaer
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hey Bierbaer. I'd just like to thank you for your hand evaluations and all the work you put into them, really amazing job. We're lucky to have you! :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup: :f_thumbsup: Hope you get more coachings! Maybe something a little more advanced than basic fullring maybe? ;)
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot! It's motivating to hear that :)
    • LenzJens
      LenzJens
      Bronze
      I liked this Coaching very much. I understand more than before of this coaching, the mix to play SH and FR was very nice so there where more hands. He explained all what i didnt understand, i thank you very much and will now sit me on an online table :)

Hoping for more Coachings from Bierbaer
    • k4m1l0z
      k4m1l0z
      Bronze
      yeah, give him the job

man has skill and knowledge
    • jozzee
      jozzee
      Bronze
      I really liked that coaching,

i would love to hear/see more from you.
    • miholc
      miholc
      Bronze
      I liked coaching on 19.01. Keep up the good work, I will tune-in on next one!
      :f_thumbsup:
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, i hope there will be a next one :D .
    • 7michl7
      7michl7
      Bronze
      Hi!

Thx for the very nice coaching!

I haven't expected such a good and clear English. It was my first but definitely not my last English session.

See you next week
      7michl7
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Hey,

thanks for the feedback!
      I'm gonna try to keep it up :)

See you,
      Bierbaer
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bierbaer
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      Thx, but the last two weeks i wasn't as fast in responding as i wished i was.
      Had a lot of stuff going on.

Or was the whole post meant ironically :D ?
      no i was serious
    • Gezuitico
      Gezuitico
      Bronze
      This was my first BSS coaching and my first English coaching.I liked it pretty well.
      Keep doing this great job!
    • 1z2x3y
      1z2x3y
      Bronze
      Hi Bierbaer,

This was my first BSS coaching as i am currently playing SSS with deviation !

I am English & your English is great,the explanations were fully detailed
      (like a pro, bro) :tongue:

Will be tuning in next week for sure, 1 more session from you and i will be making the upgrade to BSS without a doubt :D

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:

Long may you continue to get a coaching spot.

For anyone reading this ! Highly recommended that you tune in. GREAT STUFF

Such brilliant insights - onwards & upwards

Thanks a million :s_thumbsup:
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Hey,

thanks for nice the feedback!
      I will try to keep it up :) .

See you in the coaching,
      Bierbaer
    • straightless
      straightless
      Bronze
      cool like always
    • riodubidus
      riodubidus
      Bronze
      Coaching was realy nice,hoppe to see more of u.
    • vyhodvoli
      vyhodvoli
      Bronze
      like this coaching. I'd like to see a coach by BierBaer for silver too, on NL-25