Taking Shots

• nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Hi there, I've run my BR up to $115 playing $1 SNGs on PokerStars. I'm multitabling 9-15 tables with ROI 6.5%.

I would like to start playing $3 buyins ASAP because of the drastically reduced rake/fees (13% instead of 20%). I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to BRM and my initial plan was to make it to $150 but the thought of playing another 450+ to get to that limit is killing me !

So the question, do I try a sample 4 $3's with 8 $1's in my stack? Do I sod mass-multi and play 4 $3 on their own. More accurately what is meant by taking shots to you ? I know that there is no definitive answer and that it is purely subjective, I would just some advice so I don't fritter my BR away.

Many Thanks
      nibbana
  • 13 replies
    • gonepoker
      gonepoker
      Bronze
      Hello, nibbana.

I think that you should climb up to 65 buy-in's for next limit especially if you are going to multitable them. Players in 3$ tourneys are almost loose as in 1$ tournaments so it's swingy.
      I understand taking shot as trying to win a tournament which is not allowed by bankroll management but you are taking a shot to win using a money which you would use for your fun anyway:)
      Thats really bad that stars don't have 2$ tourneys...
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      yup take a shot if your confident with your sng ability. Read my blog I played $3.40 sngs from the start with a $50 bankroll. I just hate $1 sngs rakes just too high and the profit is just meaningless. with a $111 bankroll i would defently take a shot. Play sets of 2-4 and if you drop down to $60-70 just play $1 sngs till you feel comfortable again. You'll find the play is just as bad. just identify the odd multitabler and exploit them with lower rake and the small increase in buy in you will see your bankroll increase much faster to figures that actually means something to you.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Thanks Richard, I'm already following your blog. Infact it was your advice that made me want to take a few shots at $3 in the first place! I'll report back and see how the first few go.

@gonepoker Yea it's a bummer that they don't have $2 buyin. It just leaves a very long time playing $1's to cultivate some patience I guess !
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      @gonepoker Yea it's a bummer that they don't have $2 buyin. It just leaves a very long time playing $1's to cultivate some patience I guess ![/quote]cud always shift over to fulltilt for the interim? get a 100% bonus goin and 27% rakeback and return with a bigger roll to smash $3.40s more comfortably. Just a thought
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Wow the play is just as weak.

Only played 6 and one of those was a $5 which I entered by mistake... So 5th in the $5 and 4th/4th/3rd/3rd/1st in the $3 for a profit of $1.80 ($7.30 without the $5 "mistake").

This gives me some confidence, I will give it a go 8 tabling tommorrow night and see where we get from there

p.s@Richard already made a deposit on FullTilt a couple of years back, don't know if I'll be able to get any deposit bonus?
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      [quote][i]

p.s@Richard already made a deposit on FullTilt a couple of years back, don't know if I'll be able to get any deposit bonus?[/quote]hmmm doubt it but there are other sites I think Ipoker do $2 sngs. best off researching
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      @nibbana
      don´t overestimate the results. 8sngs is just no samplesize. of course they are very fishy as well but you might still start out with a bad run and if you have to be aware that you could easily lose like 10sngs in a row and that would be 34$ = almost 1/3 of your bankroll...
      i definately think that you should take shots to move up quickly but you really have to be prepared to move down if you have a downswing and your bankroll drops to 50-60$ or something like that.

furthermore i would think about reducing the number of tables. especially in the beginning it´s more important to improve your game and to get some reads about your opponents than to earn "a lot" of rakeback. maybe you can play like 9sngs at a time with 6/5 being 1$s and 3/4 being 3$s? something like that.

@richard
      i have to admit that i didn´t read your blog but if you really started out playing 3,4$s with your 50$ starting money that wasn´t a really smart move :)
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      Originally posted by frzl

@richard
      i have to admit that i didn´t read your blog but if you really started out playing 3,4$s with your 50$ starting money that wasn´t a really smart move :)
      I did this with the knowledge I would drop down to $1 if I dropped down to $30. Fortunately for me I started with an upswing. I did however keep playing $3.40sngs till my bankroll was $600 and then I moved to $6.50.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      mh ok that sounds better :)
      still a bit risky but hey, it worked :D
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Thanks for your advice frzl. I of course realise that 5 tournaments is not a reliable sample size, I was simply saying that it gives me confidence knowing that I won't need to make radical changes to my game to step up.

I have been playing solely $3 tourneys, mainly Turbos for a couple of days and have set myself a lower limit of $70 so if my BR drops to this I will return to $1's.

Thanks to all for your advice and good luck yourselves.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Managed to get through 150 or so tourneys so far... Haven't found much time for play unfortunately. It's taken me a few tourneys to adjust to Turbos, I've been insanely cramming ICM in before and after each session

I think that last part is what they call a heater lol
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      looks nice :)
      keep it up (or at least try to :D )
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      I have been running quite well and have started a Blog (See Signature) about my SNGs to keep me focused etc. I started taking shots at $6.50's when my BR was around $300 and am running so good it's sick !

Yes, it's only after around 100 before anyone starts chanting Sample Size at me...

Just thought I'd big up my blog if anyone's interested !