Quiz of the Week: Unimproved Overcards

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hello fellow PokerStrategists!

Every poker player knows the problem: you have a nice hand and raise it accordingly. You however miss the flop and find yourselves with only overcards to the board.

Giving up right away would be very detrimental to your winning rate, especially in the long run. So how are you supposed to go on? What's the game plan?

As usual, a lot depends on the circumstances: what kind of opponent are you up against? Are there a lot of possible draws? Is a bluff probable in that spot or are you certain to be behind?

Seeing how you will continuously and frequently run into these spots, it's crucial Learning when to keep the initiative by staying aggressive and when to take a step back and reconsider.

A central concept of this approach is to put opposing ranges in relation with the opponent types you're facing. If you assess the situations adequately, you will be able to significantly increase the value from your premium hands.

Find out whether you give your overcards the attention they deserve:

• 4 replies
    • gape0000
      gape0000
      Bronze
      Almost perfect , just missed the fact with AKo that we are against 3 villians on really bad flop

(p.s. : this thread is in the wrong section , should be under the FL)
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 22 of 22 possible points. This corresponds to 100 % !

wow!!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hmm.. I think the answer to question one needs some review.. I'm not sure anyone on any limit folds bottom set on a dry board. I'd certainly suggest it is at least uncommon.

Especially on the lower limits, it's not uncommon that opponents fold 33 in this spot, for instance.
      Board is K83 rainbow. :f_eek:

Man, I gotta stop folding unraised flops with initiative... that option always fools me. :f_p:
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Hmm.. I think the answer to question one needs some review.. I'm not sure anyone on any limit folds bottom set on a dry board. I'd certainly suggest it is at least uncommon.

Especially on the lower limits, it's not uncommon that opponents fold 33 in this spot, for instance.
      Board is K83 rainbow. :f_eek:

Man, I gotta stop folding unraised flops with initiative... that option always fools me. :f_p:
      I dare speculate that the original author wanted to give some small pocket pair as example ;) . Thanks for the hint.