Is there really any point...

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      raising with anything other than QQ, KK, AA. I mean all it does is get expensive and then I inevitibly miss the flop anyway and have to fold to any bet behind me. No one folds down anything on lower limits anyway and as ever my bank role continues to go south.

Fucking fed up.
  • 20 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Seems like a standard move up to where they respect your raises situation
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Seems like a standard move up to where they respect your raises situation
      So you agree??? So basically the 3-4 x BB raise is horse shit up to a decent limit. Best off being a limper until then.

Fab.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      No, you would get destroyed at higher stakes but if you think low stakes are unbeatable because of people not folding anything then go ahead, move up and see for yourelf. Don't blame others for your inability to play profitably anything other than QQ+, concentrate on studying instead.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      No, you would get destroyed at higher stakes but if you think low stakes are unbeatable because of people not folding anything then go ahead, move up and see for yourelf. Don't blame others for your inability to play profitably anything other than QQ+, concentrate on studying instead.
      WOW since when are you serious???? :f_p:
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Right you're clearly being a bit of a tosser but you may actually have something useful to say so I'll let that go.

So, instead of bunging around half sentences and making poor assumptions why don't you actually become the reason why I signed up here in the first place and help.

So my problem in more depth than the initial grump is this:

I have studied. I have improved an area of myself (I guess you can say) in my maths which was never a strong subject for me. I have watched upteenth videos and I have been to a few of the sessions (a few is all I can muster because of the dopey time zone situation in Oz).

Now, I am playing 0.01/0.02 cash games and 1.00 + 0.40 SnGs. Whenever I watch others play they play to the starting hands chart fairly tightly, maybe raising IP with no callers or raisers to get a blind steal and with weak/tight limpers. It's profitible, they ('they' being whoever produced the movie/vid/training session etc). Yet the moment I get on the table my raises get flat called, I miss the flop and bleed of a heap of chips. Fine, it happens continue playing on as you should. However when this is happening all of the time I wonder whether being a limper is simply the best way and hope of hitting the nuts on the flop because unless you do, one of the other 4-6 limpers in any position will bet/raise.

In the SnGs its the same; bet 3 x BB, get a flat caller. Miss the flop by a fucking mile, and have to fold down x amount of chips behind me.

Now I don't blame anyone else for my inabililty. What I am getting pretty fed up is I still do not fundamentally understand how to beat any aspect of this game when I basically don't get dealt a run of QQ, KK and AA. As we speak I have just lost a pocket KK to an all in on one table, and have been checked to K 10 (BB) on the flop on turn of 6 Q 3 Q, all different suits, tried to still with a 2/3 bet only to be reraised twice behind on another table (I folded naturally).....AND back to first table lost another A K(s) because Ive hit the flop with a K but they are all :diamond: s and Ive got another shove behind me.

Fed up. So if you have something useful to say then say it, if not then don't post at all.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      It's really really hard to try and give an advice that wouldn't end up being total generalization, and generalized advices won't do much for your game. If you want advices that would really help you, do one of those things:

1) Post hands - i didn't post hands often enough when i was moving up from micros, but it would've speed up my learning process for sure. As far as i remember, hand evaluations by "tamairlarace" were very solid and i loved the way he responded.

2) Find people who play too (preferably higher than you) and do sweat sessions with them, this will force you to think more in depth and also rethink some things you thought were 100% correct.

Meh, if you really want you can make a video of yourself playing (with sound too) where you say what you do and why you do it and i'll try to tell you what you did/thought wrong in various spots, just don't make it too long no one pays me for that and i get easily bored. :D
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Greedyfly
      raising with anything other than QQ, KK, AA. I mean all it does is get expensive and then I inevitibly miss the flop anyway and have to fold to any bet behind me. No one folds down anything on lower limits anyway and as ever my bank role continues to go south.

Fucking fed up.
      Maybe one of the problems is that you play OOP and then of course there will be action behind you. They will fold some hands. It's usually suited or broadways they overplay. Just don't try to get it all in all the time with TPTK. Win one decent sized pot at a time instead of one big one and then loose it all in a flip.

As far as for SNGs, they are mega exploitable if you put in enough volume and follow correct strategy.
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      See that was a greater response and more help, so thanks.

On the hands posting thing I have been doing this. And I did find it dead useful however I had someone state the other day they werent sure why I was posting certain hands. Maybe this response seemed obvious to him but what I think some people forget is that not everyone on this website is Phil Ivey. So my response should be what sort things am I looking out for here when requesting a hand evaluation...Marginal hands? Starting hands?

As for sweat sessions I am struggling to find people. Seems despite being the biggest gamblers outside of far East Asia, the Aussies are few and far between when it comes to finding people to sweat with in poker. I would love that opportunity however as I think for me this would help improve my game the most, any suggestions? Also any British based players out there wiling to help?

Otherwise I may just take you up on your offer NIghtfrostaSS :D

Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      As far as for SNGs, they are mega exploitable if you put in enough volume and follow correct strategy.
      How do you mean EmanuelC16? Could you give me some more insite into what you're getting at here, or direct me to some further learning materials on this?
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Raising hands other then QQ+ is about postflop skills and these take time to develop. In particular when you reach silver the short handed open raising charts really helped me understand the reason and range one can open up with different stuff with. Then you suddenly begin reaching a point where you begin to ask yourself on most hands, is there any point in NOT raising before the flop? Not being the aggressor and/or not being in position really limits puts you in a disadvantage in most situations. More a random collection of thoughts I have on the subject of why raise other stuff, I hope it's some help.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      See that was a greater response and more help, so thanks.

On the hands posting thing I have been doing this. And I did find it dead useful however I had someone state the other day they werent sure why I was posting certain hands. Maybe this response seemed obvious to him but what I think some people forget is that not everyone on this website is Phil Ivey. So my response should be what sort things am I looking out for here when requesting a hand evaluation...Marginal hands? Starting hands?
      Post whatever hands you are uncertain of, who cares if some guy you'll never meet will consider you an idiot for asking obvious questions. All that matters is improving your own game and not becoming the next american idol.

One thing i want to point out, is that while most people post big pots only, it's small/medium ones that they should concentrate more on.

As for sweat sessions I am struggling to find people. Seems despite being the biggest gamblers outside of far East Asia, the Aussies are few and far between when it comes to finding people to sweat with in poker. I would love that opportunity however as I think for me this would help improve my game the most, any suggestions? Also any British based players out there wiling to help?
      Try starting a new thread maybe? Here or on 2+2 should have positive results.

oh and as for 2+2, don't listen to advice given out in microstakes sub forum, it sucks. :)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      make a thread in BBV, they're always there to help rookies going through hard times
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      thats better :f_grin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      make a thread in BBV, they're always there to help rookies going through hard times
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver

I could do with someone to talk poker hands with and do some sweat sessions. I suppose you could probably do with someone at higher limits to help you but if you want we can go through some hands on msn or skype.

PM me if you're interested and we can sort something out.
    • cyzo
      cyzo
      Bronze
      You cannot play so aggressively against loose passive opponents. Either move up to where players respect your raises or play against the most unprofitable type of fish as well as you can.
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      Catch me on skype or MSN(semesaa and semesa90@hotmail.com respectively) and I'll attempt to help you out. Im aussie too so timezones shouldnt be a problem
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      go play Omaha. you will always hit something.