Is it worthy playing 12+ tables at once?

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Guys... do you feel like you can make MORE money when multi-tabling some 12+ tables? I have some doubts on that.

I usually play only 6 SH tables on Stars and it seems fine. I can think a bit about my outs on a draw, have a closer look at someone's status on my HUD, make notes, etc. However, I see some guys who play 24 tables and just cannot understand how can this improve their BB/100 or $/hour rate.

What do you think about that? If you are the kind of guy who plays a lot of tables, did your earnings increase with the number of tables?

Sometimes I just think that people keep adding up tables just to have action all the time, so they never have to wait for a hand. Let's say we have a situation...

A guy makes 10BB/100 playing 8 tables, 100 hands an hour per table, 4 hours a day. It means 320BB in the end of the day. It could only be profitable for him to add more tables if it was actually possible to keep the BB/100 rate at 10 or more... or he could even play 16 tables, drop to 7BB/100, 100 hands an hour per table, 4 hours a day, and make 336BB in the end, which is not a great difference considering all the further mind work that is required. Does it happen in the real world that someone makes more money multi-tabling a lot of tables or does he just keep getting more and more hands and having a lot of "low quality" action?

Hope you understand my point! I'm not saying that playing a lot of tables is wrong, but just want to know from the people who do that if it is really more profitable :s_biggrin:
  • 14 replies
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      reasons why i play max tables:
      -More RB
      -More Action
      -Swings r easier to deal with
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      reasons why i play max tables:
      -More RB
      -More Action
      -Swings r easier to deal with
      Hey! Thanks for the reply. But does it really increase your $/hour rate?
    • geoelt
      geoelt
      Platinum
      more RB increases your $/hour ;)

i think there are a lot of guys out there just grinding to generate a lot of rake and therefore get more RB ;) certainly easier on more tables :D
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      It's only worth playing more than 6 tables if u really feel comfortable in any situation and are able to make quality decisions without getting distracted by other tables. There's no point in going for more RB if u lose more because u can't handle it.
    • geoelt
      geoelt
      Platinum
      sure

just wanted to say if u make 10BB /100 on 5 tables and 5BB/100 on 10 tables u make overall more with RB

but true, you should not play any limit or high number of tables if u dont feel comfortable with it, i think that counts for poker in general :) you will just loose in the end imo
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by geoelt
      sure

just wanted to say if u make 10BB /100 on 5 tables and 5BB/100 on 10 tables u make overall more with RB

but true, you should not play any limit or high number of tables if u dont feel comfortable with it, i think that counts for poker in general :) you will just loose in the end imo
      you shouldn't do anything u don't fell comfortable with... That counts for life in general..
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by blackops888
      Hey! Thanks for the reply. But does it really increase your $/hour rate?
      If you're interested in progressing further in your poker career, you're doing well not multitabling too much. If you are happy at your current stake trying to grind out as much money as possible, mass multitabling is definately a good choice if you can do it well.

Mass multitabling something like NL10 makes no sense since you need to become a better player, not earn more rakeback ;)
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      u can have a very big hourly at low limits even if u b/e if u mass multitable. It is also true that u dont progress as much as a poker player though.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      also if you play a 'simple' strategy such as SSS or micro-SNG's, mass tabling shouldn't affect your win rate that badly... i dont think it will the case where a winning player at say 8bb/100 at 10 tables would be less than 5bb/100 at 20 tables, which is clearly a better hourly rate even without rakeback
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Yeah people.. this is really weird. The best day I had until now on NL2 was the one in which I played 4 tables for some 4-5 hours and made a $16 profit. Other days I made some $7 to $10 in 5 hours with 6 tables, and there were those in which I tried to play 9 tables and it was a mess!
    • beardsell
      beardsell
      Bronze
      drop to 7BB/100, 100 hands an hour per table, 4 hours a day, and make 448BB
      fixed, so 1,4x more than 8 tables with 10BB/100
      so yeah it's worth it when u can handle it
    • booger6o4
      booger6o4
      Bronze
      I've just recently switched from 2x tables to 6x tables.

Its a lot more fun because theres always action... maybe because iam a fish lol :f_grin:

But also it has also helped me balance poker into my life.
      For example I used to play 2 tables and in a 8 hour + grind I would pull out maybe 1000 to 1500 give or take.
      Mutli tabling I can do that in around 2-3 hours.
    • drawback
      drawback
      Silver
      I usually play 10-16 tables of mtts and its defo better than play 4 :)
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi, my advice is to try different number of tables and see what u like the most - I tried multitabling 6-10 tables 6max sngoes now I am back at 4 tables and I can tell I enjoy it much more cause I feel I have enough time to think about my decisions and I think it improves my game more comparing even to 6 tables. And the funny thing is I earn more 4 tabling :)