Staking Forum - Introduction

• Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Staking Forum - Introduction

Basic Principles
      There are three basic principles in the staking forum that are valid without exception:

1) PokerStrategy.com takes no responsibility for staking deals between members.

2) PokerStrategy.com will not aid in investigation of problems or potential fraud cases. We will not give away any personal data of a potential "suspect".

3) A member that wants to be staked must create a feedback thread in Staking: Discussion and Feedback and link it in his application. While this thread might be closed or deleted by the moderation team, the creator has no right to request so. In this thread, feedback about the creator will be left unchanged as long as it is otherwise within the board rules.

Everyone that offers himself for staking in this forum agrees that feedback about his person will be publicly viewable on PokerStrategy.com.
  • 29 replies
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      What is staking?

Staking describes deals in which one person gives another money to participate in tournaments or cash games. The most frequent reasons for staking are insufficient bankrolls or variance. Usually, the winnings are split in predetermined percentages.

Staking - Hints and Tips

Make sure you and your staking partner agree on the following things beforehand:

• For which tournament or time frame is the staking deal valid? What amount is the stakers participation?
      • How is the stakers share determined? Who receives what percentage?
      • Are bonuses, rakeback and other promotions included in the deal?
      • What about other expenses of the stakee? (travel expenses, cashout fees, etc.)
      • What if a player doesn't participate in the tournament / doesn't play enough for a cash game staking?
      • How are the winnings paid out to the staker? (Moneybookers, poker room, bank transfer, etc.)

Tips for Stakers

Before you stake someone you should:
      • Know your partner's personal details
      • Have a copy of the passport / ID card
      • Have your partners landline number (and test it)
      • Have a verified Email address (i.e. the address from which he sent his passport / ID card)

The staking should be fixed in a contract. This doesn't have to be a hard copy with signatures; an email is sufficient. The staker should receive an email from the stakee in which he states the conditions of the staking deal as well as his agreement for these terms.

Tips for staking applications

In order for your staking applications to be more successful, they should contain your screen name(s), graphs, results and/or other references.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      nice, looking forward to this. May I also suggest you post about swapping equity? :)
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi conall88,

Feel free to post tips and feedback here in this thread :)

Cheers,
      Hannes
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      hey guys...

just wanted to throw a quick post up here before this forum gets filled with NL2 staking requests...

If you are going to stake someone - BE CAREFUL!

there's really no simpler way of putting it than that. you are giving someone YOUR MONEY for them to play with. Yes, if they run with your money or break the agreed terms of your contract you can consider legal action, but suing someone who is already busto and has just lost your money as well seems kinda pointless.

I have conducted stakes with live players before for both MTT's and Ring Games, here are a few things i would always do for a stake.

:diamond: I would want complete contact details for the person I was staking. This includes name, address, home phone, mobile phone, what hours they are normally at home, what they do for work, what hours they are usually at work, skype, email, msn, AIM, i would possibly even ask them for a tax file number.
      I would also want to know every online account the person has with every site, and would verify this as well (easily done, just tell them to sit at a table and talk to you from there). If the stakee is claiming to have $x already in their account, you can ask them to verify this as well by sitting on a limit table with their whole roll (and sitting out obv.) - side note, it isn't a bad idea for a stakee to ask a staker to do this as well, to make sure the staker has sufficient funds for the stake.

:diamond: I would verify all of those details. This would include talking to them on skype, having them respond to an email sent to their address, possibly even asking for a scan of a drivers licence or other ID. again, this is all done to protect yourself against the person hit and running you. If the stakee is nervous about providing actual real info about themselves, ASK YOURSELF WHY THIS IS THE CASE.

:diamond: Work out a contract outlining exactly your responsibilities and theirs. For example, what sites do they have to play on, what stakes, how many hands/tournaments/sngs per day/week/month etc. You need to work out exactly how much the stake is for, how much of that stake is given to them at any one time (lets say it's a $100 stake to play NL2, but they only get given $50 to start, the other $50 is available if needed).

:diamond: You need to also decide what limits the stakee has to play, if they are allowed to play other games outside of these limits during the stake, if/when they are allowed to take shots at higher games etc. BE VERY CAREFUL if you stake someone and they start playing games above the limit you have set for them (i would see this as grounds for ending the stake)

:diamond: you need to clearly set if there will be markup, and also how long the stake will run for (this can be a period of time or a set number of hands/tournaments). you should specify exactly what the profit split would be AND if this will include rakeback/FPP (for example, if i was staking a 0.5/1 LHE player, the RB would make a significant portion of his win rate)

at the end of the day, if you feel weird/bad about the deal IN ANY WAY, my advice would be to just walk away. there are heaps of players out there who enjoy playing under a staking deal, alot of them are even winning players. but, obviously there are going to be loads of losing players/degen gamblers who are just trying to steal your money, so be careful ;)
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      as a follow up to that post, if there are any stakers/stakee's looking for advice on working out a deal, feel free to PM me and i'll help u out. i'm not looking to stake anyone at the moment tho ;)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I have no clue about this stufs, so I should ask a question.

Why would anyone want to do this? It's just that if I am a winning player with a nice BR, why would I want to give up a portion of it to a nearly unkown who may lose it, then I have to win it back again? Why not just keep it and move up stakes myself -or more realistically spend it on SWMBO :rolleyes: ?

I'm not knocking the idea and it seems to be a popular one, both on here and in live games; just asking in naivety is all.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Scenario: Some winnings players might withdraw for whatever reason it may be and not have the money to deposit at that time so they look to a staker that can get them back on track with little/no risk with a lot to give back to their staker for helping them out.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Oh ok, got it now. Ty for that.
    • pokerkingspades
      pokerkingspades
      Basic
      What is the difference between staking a SNG and MTT

What is the standard deal for both game?

Thx
    • ComplexP
      ComplexP
      Basic
      Hi, I just made an account here planning to offer some stakes. Am I allowed to right now, or do I have to reach that "Bronze status" - what do I need to do to reach it?
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Following Full tilts gambling licence suspension I have lost my entire roll.

I was hoping to apply for staking, however the new rules stipulate that I must have made 300+ posts in the English community.

Is there any chance that moderators might show some leniency on this rule?

I literally cannot afford to redeposit for the limits I was playing.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Hi Muel

the rule has been put in place to hopefully get the members do a stake request to be a bit known within the community. In some community the request 1k posts for example. Participate in the forums and you should reach that amount in no time ;)

I trust you understand

best regards

Thazar
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      lol best get to pointlessley commenting on threads then

:f_biggrin:

only joking :P :P
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi, Muel294.

As you said, it's most likely mostly a joke. :)

However, reaching the required amount of posts isn't all that much of an effort.

Being active in the General Poker Discussion, the Poker Room forums for whereever you play aswell as handjudging forums should get you known within the community aswell as reach the postcount.
      Even keeping your old blog is a great way!

And as always, it's of course more likely you will find a staker if you are an active part of the community and the potential stakers know your name from around our boards, right?

Regards,
      Richard
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      yeah of course I completely understand the reasoning behind it. But since the full tilt fiasco i have been playing on another account not tracked with PS.com so haven't been posting hands etc, otherwise my thread count would prob be higher.

I am sure I will hit 300 in no time, without spamming of course.

Maybe starting a blog will increase my forum notoriety.

Cheers Guys (and gals?)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Even if you don't play on a tracked site, surely posting hands for judging is +EV?

I know I do, no matter what site I play on. :)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of you around.

Regards,
      Richard
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      What or where are the rules for offerin to stake player(s) Im not looking to be staked, but I am considering staking certain types of players
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gp00053
      What or where are the rules for offerin to stake player(s) Im not looking to be staked, but I am considering staking certain types of players

Hello gp00053,

There are no extra rules in place for people offering a stake. Please keep in mind that any person applying for a stake do still have to comply with our forum rules.

All the best,

NIVEKii
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NIVEKii Please keep in mind that any person applying for a stake do still have to comply with our forum rules.

All the best,

NIVEKii
      Thanks NIVEKii
      So then the offer to stake is okay along as it built around the rules to apply for a stake? For example anyone who applied to my offer would have to have 300 posts, etc etc? But I don't need 300 posts to offer to stake?

Thanks
      Gp