Implied Odds Question...

• Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Hi,

This one goes out to the FL math-geeks. I'm just breaking into the maths side of Poker (I'm still a newbie in many respects). I've been reading Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" book, and I'm going over the odds and outs sections.

In the section on implied odds he states how to calculate them during NL sessions - my question is, because of the betting restrictions of FL, does this make the calculating of implied odds less useful for a FL player?

Cheers
  • 7 replies
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      Calculating implied odds is very useful in FL. As we are dealing with small margins, implied odds (as well as reversed implieds) can often tip the scale, both in preflop and postflop decisions. A simple example for implied odds on the preflop is when we overlimp a suited connector, or decide to coldcall because there is a fish in the blinds who is likely to come along.

Oftentimes, implieds are not too difficult to calculate postflop and it is possible to make good estimates based on the opponent tendencies, board texture etc.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Foxxxen
      Calculating implied odds is very useful in FL. As we are dealing with small margins, implied odds (as well as reversed implieds) can often tip the scale, both in preflop and postflop decisions. A simple example for implied odds on the preflop is when we overlimp a suited connector, or decide to coldcall because there is a fish in the blinds who is likely to come along.

Oftentimes, implieds are not too difficult to calculate postflop and it is possible to make good estimates based on the opponent tendencies, board texture etc.
      Cheers for the advice there Foxxxen. The maths stuff is something I'm working my way slowly into - though it is frying my mind slightly. I'm working on micro-limits FL in order to get better at it.

Reversed implied odds is a little further down the road for me at the moment though!!!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Implied odds are still smaller in limit than NL. In limit, you can sometimes get implied odds of 7:1 instead of the immediate odds of 5:1. In NL, you can sometimes get implied odds of 10:1 instead of the immediate odds of 2:1.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      Implied odds are still smaller in limit than NL. In limit, you can sometimes get implied odds of 7:1 instead of the immediate odds of 5:1. In NL, you can sometimes get implied odds of 10:1 instead of the immediate odds of 2:1.
      The difference being the implied odds in limit holdem are almost always realised, in no limit often it is speculative at best. :f_biggrin:
    • Foxxxen
      Foxxxen
      Bronze
      I don't see much point in a comparison between different games, what does it matter if it is more important in NL than in FL? :P
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Because a lot of players are transitional players, playing both games.

Besides, I think it's personally way more important in limit holdem than NL because it's always relevant. :f_biggrin:
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Not only do many of us play both limit and NL, we also read material written for one and try to extract ideas which can be useful in the other, as the original poster was doing with the passage on NL.

Implied odds may be present more often in limit because you get paid off more often, but since you get paid off less, they are not as important of a factor in limit. Similarly, position matters less in limit than NL. Hot and cold equity matters more and playability matters less in limit than NL.