Basic strategy guide questions

• naomisurvey
      naomisurvey
      Bronze
      Hi all, just joined recently and after reading the basic NL strategy guide i have a few questions that i'm still not clear on. (should be quite obvious, sorry for asking!)

1) If I have a freeplay and have trash on the flop, but then get a made hand on the turn, do i go all in, or bet 2/3 of the pot? (strategy guide says "play the same on turn and river"- is this play the same as if it wasn't a freeplay, or play the same as you did on the flop?!)

2) SHC says to raise with KQ in late position and on blinds. is this just KQ suited, or any old KQ?

3) say I have AK, flop is A 6 6. strategy says i treat my hand as a pair. but is this top pair- ie- a made hand, or do i have trash because of the likelihood of someone having trips?

4) I have trash on the flop with only one other player in the hand, so i bet 2/3 of the pot. I am now left with a stack smaller than the pot, so if i am raised do i still fold, or go all in. same if my stack was only half the size of the pot?

i'm sure there was something else, but my mind's gone blank! i'll ask when i remember if thats ok?

thanks very much for your help, and sorry for asking obvious questions!
  • 6 replies
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      should be quite obvious, sorry for asking!

i disagree, questions can't be wrong, and it doesn't have to be obvious. Questions are good.

1) 2/3, or, if the stack/pot ratio is very small, all in (same as on the flop).
      2) any KQ, for top pair second kicker
      3) top pair, and a made hand. The odds of somebody having trips are very small, because you raised before the flop, and someone with a six shouldn't have called you there.
      4) that depends on whether you get pot odds. Can you still win the hand because you have outs, what is the chance to win the hand, and how much do i have to pay for how big a pot. Those are the important questions in this situation.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi naomisurvey!

Welcome at PokerStrategy! I hope that you will learn a lot here.

Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      should be quite obvious, sorry for asking!

i disagree, questions can't be wrong, and it doesn't have to be obvious. Questions are good.

1) 2/3, or, if the stack/pot ratio is very small, all in (same as on the flop).
      2) any KQ, for top pair second kicker
      3) top pair, and a made hand. The odds of somebody having trips are very small, because you raised before the flop, and someone with a six shouldn't have called you there.
      4) that depends on whether you get pot odds. Can you still win the hand because you have outs, what is the chance to win the hand, and how much do i have to pay for how big a pot. Those are the important questions in this situation.
      There is nothing more to say for me :D Thanks helemaalnicks!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • naomisurvey
      naomisurvey
      Bronze
      Thanks very much for the welcome and quick replies, that clears it up a lot for me (though it might take a little more time before i'm clear on the 4th question regarding pot odds etc!). I feel like I've learnt a lot already!

just one more thing about that last question- in general, if i have trash and hardly any chance of winning the hand, should i fold if the pot is 2x my stack or greater, even though the beginner guide states i should always go all in in this situation (at the beginning of betting round)? am i making sense?

thank you!
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      just one more thing about that last question- in general, if i have trash and hardly any chance of winning the hand, should i fold if the pot is 2x my stack or greater, even though the beginner guide states i should always go all in in this situation (at the beginning of betting round)? am i making sense?

ehm. Let's make it more clear:

Ako on the button. There are 3 callers in front of you. you raise to 4x + 1 per limper, is 7x. Everyone calls, except the blinds. Your stack size is 130cts. and the pot is 70*3 =210, +15cts. from the blinds, is 225. The flop comes:

258 rainbow. Do you go all in? yes imo. You have two overcards, for 6 outs, and you still have FE because you raised before the flop.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, puschkin. I never played sss.

Regarding the queote "hardly any chance you win"; you almost always have a chance to win, because you only play premium hands. That makes that you are hardly ever drawing out on the flop.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      If your stack is smaller or even the pot, against 1 opp you push regardless. But this moment is very tricky. With experience you will recognize situations where it`s more profitable to push, instead of cbeting 2/3 and folding to re-raise.
      I suggest you posting your hands to get more ideas on how different situations can be played.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      1.) You only bet if you have a made hand with at least TPTK and the board is not to dangerous for better hands, like very connected, paired board or 3 suited cards of one kind. So in this case you will make a 2/3 Pot bet, but if their is more action behind you, more likely tend to give it up. That counts in general for a beginner. If you feel uncomfortable with your hand after a freeplay in the big blind, tend to fold more often, instead of maybe losing your whole stack.

2.) We do not differ between KQ offsuit or KQ suited.

3.) Here you have Top Two Pair and play it as a made hand. Its very unlikely that someone holds Trips sixes here. So bet 2/3 of the pot and play this hand straight forward. Even against 2 or 3 players.

4.) Figure out first, how many Outs you have to make a made hand and if these outs are clean to give you the possible best hand in this spot. To make a decision here, you have to put the preflop action (and therefore the possible hand range of your opponent), the structure of the board and your own hand in consideration. If you get the odds to call, you call, otherwise you fold.