Feedback Thread: AK in SnGs

• 9 replies
    • Proky11
      Proky11
      Bronze
      You scored 23 out of 30 points possible. This corresponds to 77 %!
      23-30 Points: Good job! You easily passed the SnG-quiz on playing AK. Keep it up!

Question 2:
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $16 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed)
      Pre-flop: Hero is BB with A K
      6 folds, Button bets t120, 1 fold Hero...
      Raise (0 Points)
      Push (3 Points)
      Call (1 Points)
      Fold (0 Points)

Your answer Raise (0 Points)

A re-raise commits relatively many chips while there's even the possibility of getting flat called and having to play out of position post-flop. Calling is a viable line but also an expensive one. Furthermore, you have to play out of position post-flop and will rarely flop anything at all. Calling would be the less risky option.

I wouldnt push cca. 38bb pf in early level to win t165 (4bb)! I like re-raise to t360. :s_mad:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3:
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG (t1630)
      UTG+1 (t2900)
      MP1 (t250)
      MP2 (t1490)
      MP3 (t1470)
      CO (t1430)
      Button (t1330)
      SB (t1310)
      Hero (BB) (t1690)

Pre-flop: Hero is BB with A K
      UTG calls t20, 1 fold, MP1 bets t250 (All-In), 5 folds, Hero...

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (1 Points)
      Push (3 Points)

Your answer Call (1 Points)

With AKs you are obviously ahead against most shorties' pushing ranges. Hence, folding is not an option. The call bears the risk that the limper will also join the hand which is what you want to avoid. Therefore, you should push here. This way you're trying to get heads-up with the shorty and keep the fold equity towards the limper as big as possible.

I like just calling here and be prepared to fold if UTG would shove. :s_cool:

EDIT: Hero would play OOP not IP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 5:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $16 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed)

Pre-flop: Hero is CO with A K
      4 folds, Hero bets t90, Button raises to t210, 2 folds, Hero...

Info: Raiser's filtered stats are 18/8 over 51 hands.

Fold (1 Points)
      Call (3 Points)
      Push (2 Points)

Your answer Fold (1 Points)

Against someone this tight you're not ahead most of the time, even with AK. But you have great odds to take a peek at the flop. A fold would be a little weak since your opponent might expect you to raise a looser range from late position and adjust his range accordingly.

I have no problem to FOLD here against BU with these stats. Also I dont like to flat and play OOP. :s_confused:

Other questions and answers are OK :P
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      I Agree with proky on questions 2 and 3, only that you are not in position postflop in Q3.. Anyway pushing seems a bit too much for me..

also on questions 6-7 is bet/folding line really that much worse from check/calling this dry board?
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      Agree with Proky11 in Q2, Q3 (but we are OOP) and Q5 (for me is more like a push/fold spot)
    • 333fivefive
      333fivefive
      Bronze
      I think the last question was a bit weird. It's really ungood to call preflop with the intention of folding TPTK on the flop.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      I pretty much disagree with most lines here.

Q2: I prefer 3-bet to ~300. It will sometimes lead to ugly postflop spots, but it will also stack opponents off with their A8s or w/e when flop comes Axx. People will also check/fold a ton. Shoving is definately +EV too, and against some opponents it is the best line, but normal 3bet is the standard line imo.

Q3: Lol? Why do you not want to utg call 1/7th of his stack pre against your AKs with his crushed range?

Q5: I don't really like flatting here. Pretty much only good postflop scenario is where board comes Axx and your opponent has AQ. You will be check/folding a ton and won't even 100% have best hand when board comes AKx.

Q6-Q7: Bet/fold. As dry board as they get. Should be more +EV than check/folding. I guess calling in Q7 is ok since you have 2 backdoor draws, but you can't count on all your six overcards, opponents can also have A5, A4 for example.

Q8: I'd take a stab here, checking is probably fine. Stats would be nice here.

Q10: Why are you calling pre if you are not going broke on this flop? Probably better to shove than call pre if you want to get involved.
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Was s tarting to question my AK play until I saw Anssi replies. I answered pretty much the same thing to everything.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      seems all the ones I got "wrong" I agree with the other posters.

It seems that I read somewhere here that the goal of the early stages is to survive to the money.

The push recommended in Q9 seems to violate that.
      Maybe even the ones in Q2 & 3
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      It seems that I read somewhere here that the goal of the early stages is to survive to the money.
      Well, actually that advice exists mostly so people will play tighter, which is much easier, and in most cases, more profitable. Actually there isn't huge ICM-tax effect in going broke first hand, problem is if you overplay your hand. If I remember correctly you need 53% equity to go broke in first hand, for example

AKs 46%
      99+,AQs+,AKo 54%

There will be a lot of postflop spots where you should get it in early though.
    • Mantelo
      Mantelo
      Gold
      Results:
      You scored 19 out of 30 points possible. This corresponds to 63 % !

I feel downtrodden :f_frown: