[NL2-NL10] NL2 - 78o on the button

• lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      Preflop: With a calling station limping in and another limper, is it acceptable to limp offsuit connectors pre-flop with position?

Does a calling station alter the acceptability to limp pre-flop with marginal hands, or does the expected value not change much?

Flop: Definitely a margin of error deciding to slow play. This has been a keen hand in reminding me about protection.

Turn: Not the prettiest card in the pack. I thought I would raise to find out if I am against a fullhouse, but because of the value in sets that will call.

River: Looking at the end result, guess I couldn't have played that any better?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.38
      BU (Hero):
      $1.90
      SB:
      $1.82
      BB:
      $2.50
      UTG2:
      $1.18
      MP1:
      $0.72
      MP2:
      $3.21
      MP3:
      $1.97

Preflop: Hero is BU with 7, 8.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.09) 5, 4, 6 (4 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.33) 4 (3 players)
      MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, MP2 calls $0.24, MP3 calls $0.16.

River: ($1.05) Q (3 players)
      MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.05.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a flush, ace high(A 6).
      Hero shows a straight, eight high(7 8).
      MP2 shows two pairs, fives and fours(5 K).

MP3 wins with a flush, ace high(A 6).
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello lynius,

Preflop: Even if I wanted to play I guess I'd rather be inclined to isolate. :D Of course limping is an option if they are very loose opponents.

As played
      Flop: No point to slowplay. We need to protect, we need to build up the pot and if they have a hand then they are paying anyways. Like 2pairs, sets, worse straights. Raise it up!

As played
      Turn: That's exactly the spots which we want to avoid. :) Now even couple of hands hit the FH. We can raise it of course but what's your plan if the opponent decides to 3bet you?

As played
      River: Kinda cruel while even the backdoor flush completes. But I guess Checking would be an option while the opponents might even trap you with FHs even and we can't even be sure that a lot worse will pay us after our line.

Best regards.