Spidey1978

• Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      :diamond: Spidey1978 :diamond:

Hello and welcome to my NL Beginners Locker Room thread. Here I will be mostly posting my questions about NLHE and answers to the homework. If you are interested I have also started a 'normal' blog where I will write more general musings and updates.

The more observant of you may notice I already have the Graduation Banner in my signature and, if you put 2 and 2 together (and don't make 5) you may say "Well he's already done the NL school why is he doing it again?" (Or more likely you won't care less). Well, it is true I was one of the original students of the inaugural school. So why have I enrolled again?

:spade: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :spade:

The school was great and really opened my eyes to how to play poker properly but unfortunately due to time constraints I had to rush through a few of the lessons and so although I may have got the gist of the lesson it has not been embedded in my play and I am still prone to lots of 'fishy' mistakes. Therefore, I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner, but I am certainly not a good player yet and I want to get a lot better and crush these micro limits and beyond.

:heart: Getting bitten by a radioactive Ace of spades :heart:

So, this time round I intend to take my time with the lessons, really taking each one in and ensuring it is internalised in my game before I move on to the next lesson.
      I'm hoping by doing this I will be move further along the road to playing Great Poker which, in turn, will lead to Great Winnings.
  • 11 replies
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      :diamond: My BSS story so far... :diamond:

The first 1400 hands were before the first school on NL4 or 5 (mostly 4).
      Up to about 21000 hands is during BSS Beginners school (I went up to NL10 around 14000 hands).
      All the hands after 21000 are out of school. As you can see I am struggling to beat NL10 so back to school it is.

It looks a little better in Big Blinds rather than dollars but methinks I can do a lot better.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Spidey1978,

And of course welcome back! Lets hope we will find even more leaks in your game and help you to improve and move up the limits. :) Hopefully you did like the 1st School project.

Best regards.
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Hey Veriz - thanks for the welcome back - it's nice to be back too. Gonna take my time over each Lesson and really understand it before moving on (hopefully).

:diamond: Lesson 1 Homework :diamond:

:club: Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Like most people my motivation for playing poker is to win - and to be honest other motivations stem from that really. For example, having fun, poker is most fun when you're winning. Also, learning the game thoroughly is a massive motivation but again it stems from the want/need to win. So getting better = more winning.

:heart: Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

• Tilting - particularly at bad beats
      • Not adjusting my play well enough to different opponents
      • Impatience
      • Calling with TPTK or sometimes less when a 'fish' shows aggression (i.e. not wanting to be bluffed off a pot)
      • Occassionally bluffing/semi-bluffing with an all-in hoping opponents fold
      • Trying to win big pots too much instead of being happy with smaller pots
      • Not putting opponents on ranges often enough.
      • Re-Raising too often from SB with marginal hands (Opponents raise from MP and EP)

And almost certainly many, many more.

:spade: Question 3: What does it mean to play tight-aggressive?

Playing tight-aggresive means waiting for strong hands pre-flop and then when you do have a hand raising with it (Seldom calling) putting opponents under pressure to make decisions. When the opponents are under pressure to make decisions they are more likely to make mistakes and it is these mistakes that we profit from.
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Quick Question for you Veriz:

I've been using the Advanced Openraising Chart as a guide for the last few weeks - do you think this is +EV for the micros or would I be better off playing tighter and strictly to the Basic SHC at these limits?
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      :diamond: Pre-Lesson 2 :diamond:

Afternoon - How you doing? - Really? - That's awesome.

Anyway, now the customary greetings are out the way, here's what I've been doing.

Before going over the materials in Lesson 2 I decided to try out one of the Quizzes to see what I know already.

This one, in fact: Pre-Flop Beginners Questions

I scored scored 25 out of 36 possible points. Which is okay but it did alert me to a possible couple of leaks.

:club: Veriz if I post some questions I have here would you do your best to answer them. Thanks

The first question I dropped points on was this one:

Question 4:
      PartyPoker $10 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)
      Preflop: Hero is CO with 5 , 5
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 1 fold, MP calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero…?

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (3 Points)
      Raise (1 Points)

Your answer Raise (1 Points)
      This looks like a multiway pot that you can play while being in position. In this situation you should just limp as well and hope for a set post-flop. For now you should better skip the raising.

:heart: So is raising to isolate a big no-no here? - I'm assuming not massive but by raising we run the risk of being called by at least one of the limpers and if we don't hit a set then we pretty much have to fold with a small pair like this. Which is why limping and re-evaluating on flop is better?
      Furthermore, which pocketpairs would you isolate with? TT+?
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      :diamond: Pre-Lesson 2 Continued :diamond:

Decided to break this up into a couple of posts, hope that is okay.

The next question (or 3 questions) I had difficulty with are these:

Question 8:

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU ($10)
      SB ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      Preflop: Hero is BB with Q , Q
      5 folds, MP2 raises $0.40, 1 fold, BU calls $0.40, 1 fold, Hero…?

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (0 Points)
      3-bet/broke (3 Points)
      3-bet/fold (0 Points)

Your answer 3-bet/fold (0 Points)
      Queens are too strong for a call and you have to 3-bet for value here. In this particular spot it would be a squeeze (3-bet after a raise and a call). If you decide to squeeze for value (which is the case here), you have to go broke after a 4-bet. That's why you should go for 3-bet/broke.

Question 9:

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU ($10)
      SB ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      Preflop: Hero is BB with Q , Q
      5 folds, MP2 raises $0.40, 1 fold, BU calls $0.40, 1 fold, Hero raises $1.80, MP2 pushes All-In, 1 fold, Hero…?

Fold (0 Points)
      Call (3 Points)

Your answer Fold (0 Points)
      Like we just said: You 3-bet the queens for value, so now you have to go broke. This is a call.

Question 10:

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10)
      CO ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)
      Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , Q
      7 folds, Hero raises $0.40, 1 fold, BB raises $1.20, Hero…?

Question: Hero wants to 4-bet, what's the right raise size?

$2.40 (0 Points)
      $2.70 (3 Points)
      $2.90 (3 Points)
      $3.50 (0 Points)

Your answer .40 (0 Points)
      Usually 2.2 - 2.5 times the original 3-bet is the right size for a 4-bet. Accordingly, it should be between 27 and 30BB at max in this spot.

$2.40 would not be enough, villain would get better odds than he should have. $3.50 would be too much, you would be commited with nearly every hand so you can never 4-bet as a bluff.

Now the basic pre-flop strategy tells us to fold everything except for AA & KK if we are faced with a raise behind us so for these questions I kept that in mind but in these questions we don't ever lay our QQ down.

Some math for this is given in Question 11 (& 12)

Question 11:

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP ($10)
      MP1 ($10)
      MP2 ($10)
      CO ($10)
      Hero ($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)
      Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , Q
      7 folds, Hero raises $0.40, 1 fold, BB raises $1.20, Hero raises $3.50, BB pushes All-In

Question: Looking at the math, can you still fold in this spot?

Yes (0 Points)
      No (3 Points)

Your answer No (3 Points)
      Just like explained in the question above, such a high raise commits you with many hands. This is not an issue with queens, but if you play weaker hands and 4-bet as a bluff, you might get in trouble.

You 4-bet to 35BB so you have to invest another 65BB to be part of a 200BB pot. This means you need 32,5% equity (65/200).
      Equity analysis

Equity     Win     Tie
      BU     40.21%  38.35%   1.86% { QQ }
      BB     59.79%  57.93%   1.86% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

No doubt, but look at the following:
      Equity analysis

Equity     Win     Tie
      BU     34.03%  33.74%   0.29% { 22 }
      BB     65.97%  65.68%   0.29% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

We also get enough equity with AK, so to me it looks like we get enough equity in this situation to go broke with any pocket pair but is that something you'd actually recommend?
      Also, is it therefore okay to play QQ like you would play AA & KK?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

With tilting I am pretty sure that you are familiar with stop-loss. Has it been some kind of help for you?

Adjusting to opponents will come with more experience and skill but obviously the earlier you start the faster you will get used to it. Stats are very important in this aspect.

Impatience is actually a huge leak for every poker player. A lot of live poker players have such a leak and obviously as well in online poker. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite.

Most of the other mistakes obviously we will be able to fix if you post the hands and we will see how you played them. :)

Best of luck in the Course! First points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I've been using the Advanced Openraising Chart as a guide for the last few weeks - do you think this is +EV for the micros or would I be better off playing tighter and strictly to the Basic SHC at these limits?

Well, obviously +EV. :) If you are good enough then use it! It's most likely even more profitable if you are good postflop.

Veriz if I post some questions I have here would you do your best to answer them. Thanks

Definitely! I will answer all the question. In case I even skip any then just remind me. At some points it might take few days for me to give an answer. :) But don't worry, I will answer it!

Your Question #1 (Pre-Lesson 2)

So is raising to isolate a big no-no here? - I'm assuming not massive but by raising we run the risk of being called by at least one of the limpers and if we don't hit a set then we pretty much have to fold with a small pair like this. Which is why limping and re-evaluating on flop is better?
      Furthermore, which pocketpairs would you isolate with? TT+?

Why do you want to raise 55 here? Rather play it multiway. If you hit any kind of set and they hit a pair you will often get paid much more. :) More loose player, more likely you get paid.
      I'd raise most likely some higher PPs, starting from 88+. Depends really on their stacks and stuff. Although the safest would be obviously TT+ for value.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Your Questions #2 (Pre-Lesson 2 Continued)

Well the case with QQ is that if you are going to 3bet then it practically means you are doing it for value. 3bet/folding ain't a very good plan for you, while you could just Call and play postflop at the same time. Obviously at the best we are flipping but why are you then even squeezing and turning your hand into bluff.

About the 4bet size I make it easy and simple usually. While we even have position 2,5x opponents raise should be enough which would be ~$3. :)

We also get enough equity with AK, so to me it looks like we get enough equity in this situation to go broke with any pocket pair but is that something you'd actually recommend?

Well, obviously. Why do you 4bet in first place? There is no point to 4bet in first place and fold your AK or QQ. :)

Also, is it therefore okay to play QQ like you would play AA & KK?

Well, I wouldn't say so. It's still with QQ at the best you might face a flip against rather tighter player. There are a lot of spots where we gonna play rather passively with QQ. :)
    • Spidey1978
      Spidey1978
      Bronze
      Long time no post.

Have been playing and slowly working through the content really trying to get the info secure before moving on. Am up to Week 3 but have realised I haven't posted my homework for lesson 2 so here it is.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      The obvious hands I play differently are when in LP and I will steal with many more hands depending on Opponents still left to act.
      I will look to raise with hands like suited (and unsuited) connectors, suited one-gappers, suited kings, any ace depending on opponents. (Stats show I am stealing about 32% of the time).
      Related to this though I think I could re-steal from the blinds a little more. Are there any articles on re-stealing?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $1.06
      CO:
      $1.71
      Hero:
      $4.1

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , Q:spade:
      UTG1 raises to $0.12, 4 folds, CO raises to $0.36, Hero raises to $4.10 (All-In), 3 folds, CO raises to $1.71 (All-In).

UTG raise from a fairly TAG player but with a short stack
        Range is something like TT+,AQs+,AKo
        CO 3-bets with a mid-stack - stats (not many tho) show he 3-bets fairly wide (9%)
        88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+
        I decide to 4-bet shove - wise move or should I have been folding QQ here?

Flop: ($5.99) A:spade: , A:diamond: , 4:diamond:
      Turn: ($5.99) J:club:
      River: ($5.99) 2:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $5.99

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About re-stealing, I doubt that there are any specific articles about it. There is a bluff article about preflop play but it's Gold.

Also please post the hands into Hand Evaluation forums to get them judged. :) Thanks! Good to have you back. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.