Playing with maniacs, calling stations,...

• ancha666
      ancha666
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

Last few days I see a huge amount of those players on the tables and don't really know how to deal with them...usually I'm ahead but sometimes I lose stacks because of all sort of A8o over my aces on 884 flop or so...

How do you deal with them? You can't put them on anything because they could be calling you with some middle pairs, inside draws, 2-outers,...but also they could be calling you with fish-nutz, however they will rarely show you their strenght (with bets, re-raises,..), and even if they do, they coould easily bluff on you.
      I'm putting notes on everyone of them but it doesn't help, at showdown I'm always like

So let's say you see flop JQ8, two suited and you have AA, you bet pot and villain calls, turn comes 3(nonsuited), you bet again 2/3 the pot, villain calls again.
      So...WTF?!

Anybody with good strategy?
  • 5 replies
    • drachdudek
      drachdudek
      Gold
      i call them fishes :D
    • Marivs
      Marivs
      Bronze
      My strategy against calling stations is:

- don't bluff them because some of them even call with a 6 in the hand on a AKQJ6 board

- if you don't have the nutz fold if a calling station shows too much aggresion

- when you know you are ahead value bet, value bet, value bet! :D

here is a fine example of a calling station and what calling stations are capable of doing:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here) 
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $9.97
      CO:
      $29.13
      SB:
      $60.26
      Hero:
      $38.84

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , 3:club:
      MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BU folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.00) 7:heart: , 5:club: , 5:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($1.00) 5:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

River: ($1.00) 5:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2, MP3 folds, CO calls $2.00, SB folds.

Final Pot: $5.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows [ Ks, 2d ] four of a kind, Fives
      Hero shows [ Ad, 3c ] four of a kind, Fives
      Hero wins $4.25 USD with four of a kind, Fives with Ace kicker.
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Maybe you would like to read this articles.
      Unfortunately they are for Gold only.
      But I'm sure they can help you in the future

How to play against calling stations

Playing against maniacs

Happy easter

Chiller3k
    • ancha666
      ancha666
      Bronze
      great, I think next time you update mansion points i'll be already gold since you doubled up strategy points for Eastern time and I made like 500USD rake :D :D
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Good you opened that topic because i have same problem and also luckily i will become gold next week thanks to double points this easter:)

Those maniacs just ruin my top preflop hands(like AA, KK, QQ) they call like with K6 my raises and than hit flop(like KQ6) and yea i lose whole stack :(

I mean i played to much this easter since i want to read gold articles and watch gold movies. Played at least 15k hands(each day around 8hours 9-10tables) those 4 days and profit like 5€+6,5€ from rake back just because of those morons :( And some are even from pokerstrategy because i checked if they are maybe in PS freeroll. I am just steamed since i just lost this hand.

NL0,02/0,04
      villian(3,5$)(UTG+1)
      Hero (5$) (UTG+3)

Preflop:
      villian rise to 0,12, hero raise to 0,40, villian calls.

Flop:
      Villian checks, hero bets 0,85

River:
      Villian checks, hero put all-in, villian calls.

Turn:

Showdown:
      Hero shows(AA) pair of aces
      villian shows(10J) straight.

Bastard before raised only with really good hands, but that was just his last move before he left as i notest later:( Damn and he had to get so lucky to get my money :D