This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] [NL10 FR] Folding straight vs rivershove

• BaggerSmurf
      BaggerSmurf
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.10 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $5.15
      CO: $4.15
      BTN: $3.60
      Hero (SB): $12.72
      BB: $3.25
      UTG: $12.08

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 9:diamond: J:diamond:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Paying half a BB to enter a pot of 3 seemed like quite reasonable odds to me for entering a pot with J9s.

Flop: ($0.30, 3 players) 6:club: T:club: Q:spade:
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, fold

I have an OESD here, but I think I should not count the K and 8 since these cards might give my opponent a flush. Having 6 outs, I hit on the turn or river 1 out of 4 times. So to call the $0.20 bet, I should expect to win at least $0.80 if I hit. Since that is something I would expect, I call here.

Turn: ($0.70, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.33, Hero raises to $1.00, UTG raises to $2.00, Hero calls $1.00

Here comes the card that messes me up. When UTG bets, I decide to raise for both value and protection. I have a very strong hand from which I want to get value from worse hands such as trips or 2 pair, and I do not want to give Villain a cheap 4th .
      When Villain 3bets such a low amount, I feel like he probably has the nuts here and I think I should have folded.

River: ($4.70, 2 players) 2:heart:
      Hero bets $1.70, UTG raises to $9.59, fold

On the river I try to make a low blockbet in the hopes of getting to see the showdown a bit more cheaply.
      Once UTG shoves, I have to call $7.89 for a pot of $23.88, so I need $7.89/$23.88 = 0.33 = 33% equity.

So the thing here is, does he have to flush less than 1 out of 3 times? I think he will have it more often than that.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello BaggerSmurf,

Flop: Most likely I would have lead out here already with my OESD rather than Check/Call while you could even gain fold equity.

As played
      Turn: I would rather bet out myself than Check/Raise. Kind of overplayed your hand, it's a freeplay pot, do you really think they are ever paying with worse? So even if you face a 3bet easy fold after it.

As played
      River: Why do you donk after him showing strength on the turn? You rarely will see a lot worse hands here. ;)

Best Regards.