Step up... to the WSOP! [GAME OVER!]

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

For those that don't know me, I guess it is probably best to start with an introduction!

My name is Gary, I'm 27, a father of one daughter and I've been married since January of this year! I am a Super Moderator for this wonderful community and have been hanging around for almost 3 years now. I work as an assistant manager in a Supermarket, having joined as a part-time employee a decade ago.

Enough of the boring stuff already..... it has been a while since I blogged last. In fact, this is not going to be a blog of sorts... it will be more of a challenge and it is purely for fun more than anything else.

I have been playing poker for about 6 years now, although at a very slow pace compared to most of you grinding machines out there! I've tried most variants, MTTs, SNGs, Cash, Rush, Zoom, Pl Omahahaha, FL Stud and even had a month playing Lowball!

Results? Well, let's not talk about that!....

Sample sizes are not there to make accurate judgements so let's get to the challenge that I will now undertake!

For this challenge and remember it's for fun... I will undertake the mission of the Steps Challenge at PokerStars! I hope to climb my way from Step 1 ($7.50) all the way to Step 6 ($2,100) and win a WSOP Main Event Package!

Sounds easy, right?...... Wrong!.... But let's give it a bash anyways!

I have set aside a bankroll of $250 for this challenge.

DISCLAIMER: This is a fun challenge although I don't have the correct BRM for this challenge, as a PokerStrategy employee I would like to remind everyone that BRM is the most important rule of thumb in Poker!

I will start off by playing in as many Step 1 SNGs my bankroll allows and once I've completed this I will move onto Step 2's (assuming I have some to play) and so on, so forth!

TL;DR VERSION:

-Steps Challenge to the WSOP!

Fingers crossed ladies and gentlemen!

#OneTimePlease

Thanks for following,
      Gary
  • 317 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      first !!! :D woot woot shiiiiip it!
    • qMantas
      qMantas
      Bronze
      GL Gary ! Ship It ! :s_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      zomg, a garyblog!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!

Let's hope this blog makes it past page 1 then!

So, played 3 games today. Not feeling the best after a weekend of beer etc. So I'll keep it at that for today :D

Shipped 1 Step 2 ticket and didn't really come close in the others!

Actually going playing some live Pokerz tonight for the first time in years. Nothing fancy, just a local pub game, €35 Freeze-Out.

I'm gonna set a record in the Rep. of Ireland....... the only guy to ever step inside a pub and not drink! (I'll be driving!)

Laterz all and thanks for following!

Gary
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Good luck Gary!!!

Its about time you got a blog going!!!!

Will be following (trolling) this blog :f_biggrin:

Shame on you not drinking in the pub....get a taxi :f_biggrin:

Roo
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Epic failaments in the live game!

[ ] Lasted an orbit
      [ ] Ran well
      [x] Made mistakes

AA vs J6 (lost vs 2 pair)
      KJ vs 77 (3 BB shove - Jxxx7)

Oh well, back to challenge tomorrow!
    • albionpro
      albionpro
      Bronze
      GL will be following :)
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Seems like interesting challenge. So you will play 100 step 1 games and then start using step 2 tickets?

Will follow your project anyways :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Step 1 @ PokerStars is $7.50 so its 33.3 games I can afford :D

So once I've completed those 33 and any other Step 1's left over (finishing 3rd gives you a second shot) I will move on to Step 2 games... will definitely have 1 shot at Step 2 anyways!

Any one else played these games or doing something similar should hit me up on Community tool!

Thanks for following :)

#lovethiscommunity

Gary
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Good luck, will be tracking this!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      Good luck, will be tracking this!
      Thank you my friend!

Small update for now:

Just played another step 1 and have successfully turned it into another step 2!

These games are so tight and ICM dependant and I actually feel I have an edge on most of the players. Makes a change for me!

Step 1s played: 4
      Step 2s won : 2
      Step 1 returns: 0

Making notes on absolutely every player but seemingly people just come and go in these games!

Probably do a couple more later today, but for now its forum and family time!

Peace out!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      50% is a pretty good start!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      50% is a pretty good start!
      Headadmin Rich posting ITT! :heart:

2/5 now, thought calling this but now I'm beginning to doubt it! Probably could have waited for a better spot!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I'd say the blinds are small enough to find a better spot, most likely. What's the structure in those like?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Well I am playing the Turbo 9 mans cos as you know if it's not fast and shiny it won't do!

Starting chips are 1,500 with a 5 minute blind level.

Villain in the afore mentioned hand was a complete aggro fish and I thought there was a decent chance of him having a much weaker A.

Should have waited, but we live and learn!

Also on a side note, I will be unregging from SCOOP HU game tonight, so will have another buy-in for Step 1! Gonna focus on this challenge completely and give SCOOP a miss!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Managed to sneak in 2 more games tonight!

1 win and 1 5th place (nada)

Epic 3 handed game that lasted about 40-50 hands but kept my cool and despite losing my CL at one stage, I managed to climb to the top and hold out for the win!

So it's 7 games played now and 3 Step 2 tokens in the bag!

28 games to go!

Playing well as I am re-adjusting from MTT play at the minute :D

The missus will be out tomorrow night and once the little one is in bed I will hopefully to get a move on in this challenge!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Managed to sneak in 2 more games tonight!

1 win and 1 5th place (nada)

Epic 3 handed game that lasted about 40-50 hands but kept my cool and despite losing my CL at one stage, I managed to climb to the top and hold out for the win!

So it's 7 games played now and 3 Step 2 tokens in the bag!

28 games to go!

Playing well as I am re-adjusting from MTT play at the minute :D

The missus will be out tomorrow night and once the little one is in bed I will hopefully to get a move on in this challenge!
      :f_thumbsup:
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Lol my bad tought that 2.50 was first step. Seems like you 1 table on them?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RobertDaPro
      Lol my bad tought that 2.50 was first step. Seems like you 1 table on them?
      I wish :D

Spare time is the issue really, I could multi-table but really wanna improve my hand-reading and watching opponent actions/tendancies/timing tells. I've always put these important things on the back burner and it's time to change all that!

Another 2 games played whilst I can't seemingly sleep :(

Another 1st place and a 4th place! Disappointing finish where I finished 4th, villain was down to 2.5BB at one stage but obv had his SN run good switch on! You get $1.50 back for finishing 4th so may have enough for an extra game by the end!

Progress Report:

Step 1 Games Played: 9
      Step 2 Tickets Earned: 4
      $ spent: $67.50
      Winnings: $108
      Difference: $40.50
      Bankroll Left: $201.21
      Step 1 Games Left: 26.8