This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Step up... to the WSOP! [GAME OVER!]

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!

For those that don't know me, I guess it is probably best to start with an introduction!

My name is Gary, I'm 27, a father of one daughter and I've been married since January of this year! I am a Super Moderator for this wonderful community and have been hanging around for almost 3 years now. I work as an assistant manager in a Supermarket, having joined as a part-time employee a decade ago.

Enough of the boring stuff already..... it has been a while since I blogged last. In fact, this is not going to be a blog of sorts... it will be more of a challenge and it is purely for fun more than anything else.

I have been playing poker for about 6 years now, although at a very slow pace compared to most of you grinding machines out there! I've tried most variants, MTTs, SNGs, Cash, Rush, Zoom, Pl Omahahaha, FL Stud and even had a month playing Lowball!

Results? Well, let's not talk about that!....

Sample sizes are not there to make accurate judgements so let's get to the challenge that I will now undertake!

For this challenge and remember it's for fun... I will undertake the mission of the Steps Challenge at PokerStars! I hope to climb my way from Step 1 ($7.50) all the way to Step 6 ($2,100) and win a WSOP Main Event Package!

Sounds easy, right?...... Wrong!.... But let's give it a bash anyways!

I have set aside a bankroll of $250 for this challenge.

DISCLAIMER: This is a fun challenge although I don't have the correct BRM for this challenge, as a PokerStrategy employee I would like to remind everyone that BRM is the most important rule of thumb in Poker!

I will start off by playing in as many Step 1 SNGs my bankroll allows and once I've completed this I will move onto Step 2's (assuming I have some to play) and so on, so forth!

TL;DR VERSION:

-Steps Challenge to the WSOP!

Fingers crossed ladies and gentlemen!

#OneTimePlease

Thanks for following,
      Gary
  • 317 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      first !!! :D woot woot shiiiiip it!
    • qMantas
      qMantas
      Bronze
      GL Gary ! Ship It ! :s_biggrin:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      zomg, a garyblog!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!

Let's hope this blog makes it past page 1 then!

So, played 3 games today. Not feeling the best after a weekend of beer etc. So I'll keep it at that for today :D

Shipped 1 Step 2 ticket and didn't really come close in the others!

Actually going playing some live Pokerz tonight for the first time in years. Nothing fancy, just a local pub game, €35 Freeze-Out.

I'm gonna set a record in the Rep. of Ireland....... the only guy to ever step inside a pub and not drink! (I'll be driving!)

Laterz all and thanks for following!

Gary
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Good luck Gary!!!

Its about time you got a blog going!!!!

Will be following (trolling) this blog :f_biggrin:

Shame on you not drinking in the pub....get a taxi :f_biggrin:

Roo
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Epic failaments in the live game!

[ ] Lasted an orbit
      [ ] Ran well
      [x] Made mistakes

AA vs J6 (lost vs 2 pair)
      KJ vs 77 (3 BB shove - Jxxx7)

Oh well, back to challenge tomorrow!
    • albionpro
      albionpro
      Bronze
      GL will be following :)
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Seems like interesting challenge. So you will play 100 step 1 games and then start using step 2 tickets?

Will follow your project anyways :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Step 1 @ PokerStars is $7.50 so its 33.3 games I can afford :D

So once I've completed those 33 and any other Step 1's left over (finishing 3rd gives you a second shot) I will move on to Step 2 games... will definitely have 1 shot at Step 2 anyways!

Any one else played these games or doing something similar should hit me up on Community tool!

Thanks for following :)

#lovethiscommunity

Gary
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Good luck, will be tracking this!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      Good luck, will be tracking this!
      Thank you my friend!

Small update for now:

Just played another step 1 and have successfully turned it into another step 2!

These games are so tight and ICM dependant and I actually feel I have an edge on most of the players. Makes a change for me!

Step 1s played: 4
      Step 2s won : 2
      Step 1 returns: 0

Making notes on absolutely every player but seemingly people just come and go in these games!

Probably do a couple more later today, but for now its forum and family time!

Peace out!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      50% is a pretty good start!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      50% is a pretty good start!
      Headadmin Rich posting ITT! :heart:

2/5 now, thought calling this but now I'm beginning to doubt it! Probably could have waited for a better spot!
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I'd say the blinds are small enough to find a better spot, most likely. What's the structure in those like?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Well I am playing the Turbo 9 mans cos as you know if it's not fast and shiny it won't do!

Starting chips are 1,500 with a 5 minute blind level.

Villain in the afore mentioned hand was a complete aggro fish and I thought there was a decent chance of him having a much weaker A.

Should have waited, but we live and learn!

Also on a side note, I will be unregging from SCOOP HU game tonight, so will have another buy-in for Step 1! Gonna focus on this challenge completely and give SCOOP a miss!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Managed to sneak in 2 more games tonight!

1 win and 1 5th place (nada)

Epic 3 handed game that lasted about 40-50 hands but kept my cool and despite losing my CL at one stage, I managed to climb to the top and hold out for the win!

So it's 7 games played now and 3 Step 2 tokens in the bag!

28 games to go!

Playing well as I am re-adjusting from MTT play at the minute :D

The missus will be out tomorrow night and once the little one is in bed I will hopefully to get a move on in this challenge!
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Managed to sneak in 2 more games tonight!

1 win and 1 5th place (nada)

Epic 3 handed game that lasted about 40-50 hands but kept my cool and despite losing my CL at one stage, I managed to climb to the top and hold out for the win!

So it's 7 games played now and 3 Step 2 tokens in the bag!

28 games to go!

Playing well as I am re-adjusting from MTT play at the minute :D

The missus will be out tomorrow night and once the little one is in bed I will hopefully to get a move on in this challenge!
      :f_thumbsup:
    • RobertDaPro
      RobertDaPro
      Bronze
      Lol my bad tought that 2.50 was first step. Seems like you 1 table on them?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RobertDaPro
      Lol my bad tought that 2.50 was first step. Seems like you 1 table on them?
      I wish :D

Spare time is the issue really, I could multi-table but really wanna improve my hand-reading and watching opponent actions/tendancies/timing tells. I've always put these important things on the back burner and it's time to change all that!

Another 2 games played whilst I can't seemingly sleep :(

Another 1st place and a 4th place! Disappointing finish where I finished 4th, villain was down to 2.5BB at one stage but obv had his SN run good switch on! You get $1.50 back for finishing 4th so may have enough for an extra game by the end!

Progress Report:

Step 1 Games Played: 9
      Step 2 Tickets Earned: 4
      $ spent: $67.50
      Winnings: $108
      Difference: $40.50
      Bankroll Left: $201.21
      Step 1 Games Left: 26.8