From 50$ to 10k

• jordgubban
      jordgubban
      Bronze
      Been playing on fulltilt now for little less than a month, gotten my BR up to 10k from the original 50. Playing mostly HU cash game, and recently i finished 5th in a 100$ tourney taking home 1300. Just felt like sharing my achievement, hoping you guys will get some more motivation to keep on grinding.
  • 161 replies
    • ratex
      ratex
      Bronze
      Nice job! :D

Have you played poker before? Because as I see you have never posted a single hand here in PS...
      How many hands have you played so far on FullTilt?

CYA!
    • jordgubban
      jordgubban
      Bronze
      Thanks, i've been playing poker almost a year now started playing on pokerstars.
      Started my bankroll on there with freerolls.
      I don't use any tracker programs so i wouldn't know how many hands i played.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Getting from 50-10k in less than a month seems like either you're not adhering to BRM and/or on an extremely good run. Using moderate BRM playing heads up which is high variance starting from maybe NL2(do they even offer that low?) for an okay buffer would take a very long time. Don't be surprised if you lose it in 1/20th of the time!
    • fcnz
      fcnz
      Silver
      Yeah I'm extremely skeptical, sounds like you went with a degen strat on tables way over your limits. That or you stuck to BRM and have not slept/eaten/done anything but poker in that month :P

I'd love to see some graphs though
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      $10k, nice work. Cash some out, and buy yourself something nice.

With what is left, establish a proper bankroll management. There are some articles available which talk about it. I won't bore you with the details, you can read them if you want, and I'm sure you have heard it all before anyway.

The thing about $50 to $10,000 in a month is, there has to have been a lot of flips that went your way. That can't keep happening, because flips are exactly that. First one way, then the other. If you get a lot, you must lose a lot after.

So congratz, nice work. Take advantage of your luck to this point, and set up a plan to make sure you get to keep it.
    • Ensyfer
      Ensyfer
      Bronze
      Congratz. I wonder how many hours did you spent per day for poker?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      [ ] bankroll management
    • Talic
      Talic
      Bronze
      omg, why "I" am not succesfull also :( :( :(
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Talic
      omg, why "I" am not succesfull also :( :( :(
      it's just not normal to reach 10k in one month.
      It took me about 6 months.

But anyway: congratz at OP.

Best regards,
      tribunCaesar
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      I would love to see some proof..... :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Everyone who goes from 50$ to xxx (amount of your choice) doesn't use any of tracking program :D

How odd...
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Getting from 50-10k in less than a month seems like either you're not adhering to BRM and/or on an extremely good run.
      I've heard about quite many people winning alot in a short time in Poker and wanted to get a feeling for how they run, so I thought it'd be fun to hit up excel and do some calculations.

Let's say you start off on FTP with 5 Stacks of 10NL, with a moderate BRM of 15 Stacks and you run at insane 20ptbb/100 at 6max NL and move to HU NL as soon as you have 15 buy-ins for 50NL (lowest HU NL stake at FTP).
      You are going to be doubling the buy-in as soon as you have 30 stacks of the limit below (exception 10NL->20NL playing deepstacked 10NL tables until you have 375 for 15 Stacks of 25NL), he could be at 10k within approximately 25k hands. If he switches to 20 Stacks BRM after hitting 25NL it would take him 30k hands. Now even if you live in Valuetown and manage to dodge setups and coolers, 20ptbb is probably a little too big.

Assume he is quite a good player, I guess what CTS could achieve if he 4 tabled and gameselected small stakes and tried such a Bankrollmanagement starting with 5 Stacks 10NL, 15 Stacks 25NL and 20 Stacks above 50NL, would be 10ptbb. He'd crack the 10k in 62k hands/about 177 hours of 4 tabling/approximately 6 hours a day 30 consecutive days of A-game.

It would look like this:

I guess it is actually possible if you are someone like cts and able to go near perfection with tableselection and concentration playing A-game (of course avoiding any kind of variance, winning every 100 hand sessions exactly what your true winrate is).

If you like to play around with it, I've uploaded the xlsx file here:
      http://rapidshare.com/files/118783241/calculations.xlsx.html

It's not that sophisticated though. A more realistic approach to bankroll simulation including variance, standarddeviation and chance can be found here.
      http://home.arcor.de/cyan2k/BRSimulator.xls
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Running good in tournaments isn't in your calculation :(

Nice calculation though!
    • OmiKell
      OmiKell
      Bronze
      Got the same kind of run too, but in 3 months.

50$ -> 300$ in one shot through a Tournament. Then Gamble 160$ on two NL200 tables to get in 19 minutes 1300$.
      Splitting then the half of my BR on 4 tables, I got with a Roller Coaster to 12 grans.
      I lost 7 of them the same way though

And, NO, obviously I did not follow BRM to do that. I gambled, like JordGubban.
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      What is this "Bankroll management" you speak of?
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      It's moneymanagement to minimize the risk or ruin, by minimizing swings. But like everywhere people that maximize variance will also be experiencing huge heaters. Same goes with investment banking, where the most short-term-big-winners are gamblers, and others who won't be putting 1/3 of their roll at risk on a regular basis will be still making a good living off it but not as much as the gamblers.
      Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Taleb is a nice book, that does go a bit into detail at least theoretically with the impact of chance on success.
      A chapter in Bill Chens book breaks it down mathematically for simple EV bets, you can also take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion .
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      ^ your sarcasm detector seems to be broken
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      Yea he probably owned my soul. But still might be informative for people that don't know :D Especially OP, ldo.
    • jordgubban
      jordgubban
      Bronze
      Update: BR is now 13 700, i don't gamble i play poker.