Coach
      Coach

Feedback and Discussion thread: pleno1 - Wednesdays,19:00 GMT

pleno1Game type: No-Limit 6-max
      Time: Wednesdays, 19:00 GMT

About the coach
      • Head of English Poker School
      • Experienced 6-max, heads-up & tournament player

"I encourage and preach a very aggressive style and believe that all nits should be punished with constant aggression. A wise man once told me that "you can't win if you fold".""

Ask me anything about 6-max!

Hey guys

I previously did one of these about heads-up which got quite popular.

Since then I've played over 300,000 hands of 6-max, winning at a good rate, and currently have a $100,000 in 12 months challenge.

Basically you can ask me anything about 6-max, whether it be ranges, game theory, line checks that you may not post in the hand evaluation boards or how to correctly adjust versus different opponents.

I'll occasionally write thoughts/theories etc.

• 1421 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      First video I made for PokerStrategy.com

b]BB: $637 [/b]
      Hero (SB): $602

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:diamond: J:diamond:
      Hero raises to $6.00, BB calls $4.00

Flop: ($12) K:heart: J:club: 5:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.00, BB calls $8.00

Turn: ($28) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $22.00, BB calls $22.00

River: ($72) 2:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $45.00, BB raises to $119, Hero ($521) ?

• pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Second video

• daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Basically you can ask me anything about heads up
      So its about 6max or hu? And its about cash, not sng? :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by daun666
      Originally posted by pleno1Basically you can ask me anything about heads up]
      So its about 6max or hu? And its about cash, not sng? :)
      Hey, all 6max cash games yeh.

I often see coaches making either videos or articles on other sites who don't play in the games that they speak about. Whilst you can speak well fundamentally in reality the game is forever changing and I think that speaking about not only what you are most experienced in but regarding things that you are *fresh* with is super important.

I often will post things in these threads from something I have done in game. So basically I play a cool hand, save it and then analyse and post my opinions in the thread here. When you are "out of the game" its harder to be in general enthusiastic and sometimes totally knowledgeable for the subject.

Cliffs: Play alot more 6max cash now so would prefer to talk about 6MNL rather than HUSNG's
    • PoincaresConjecture
      PoincaresConjecture
      Bronze
      what do you think about open raising 4x or 3x from UTG and MP when u are opening rather tight (Nl50-100)?
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Will follow.And will ask sth later.
      Great graph btw.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by EnterG
      Will follow.And will ask sth later.
      Great graph btw.
      Cool, look forward to your questions.

And thanks :f_love:
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by PoincaresConjecture
      what do you think about open raising 4x or 3x from UTG and MP when u are opening rather tight (Nl50-100)?
      I personally raise 3x from UTG and open 3x from all other positions except the button where I will open 2-2.5x depending on the blinds. My cut off sizing can also decrease if I have a super passive guy on the button.

In theory opening 4x from the sb with a stronger range is ok as we are putting more money into the pot when we have a good hand. But for the reg-fish making it 4x is a REMINDER to them that we have a strong range and they will play against us with a dominated range.

From my experience I found people playing WAY tighter when I was opening 4x.

I also like to fold hands like AJ and sometimes AQ under the gun. The new trend in 6max cash games is to 3bet early positional raisers as people don't like to play 3bet pots out of position and they don't think they can profitably 4b/call JJ for value as they think they will always see QQ+.

This means that if we want to open speculative hands like 910s then it is going to be very hard to open hands such as AJ/AQ as our range will be simply FAR too wide and good aggressive players will see this and start 3betting your openings alot with a huge depolarized range and thus win pots vs you and gain momentum on you in game.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      hey pleno1 !

Q1: what do you think are the most important adjustements that should be made when climbing limits from micros up to NL100 ??

Q2: how do you interpret the fact that your redline went up for ~25k hands and then became more or less flat ?
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Hey,

can you pls post the link to the hu thread ? Would be nice.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      The first video is titled, "You can't win if you fold" -- but illustrates another principle: "Villain will never fold unless you raise".

Was this hand zoom?

Also, I may have missed it, but I didn't hear you consider pocket 5s

Other than the river fold, doesn't his play seem consistent with pocket five and trappy play?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by booomm
      hey pleno1 !

Q1: what do you think are the most important adjustements that should be made when climbing limits from micros up to NL100 ??

Q2: how do you interpret the fact that your redline went up for ~25k hands and then became more or less flat ?
      hey booomm.

1) The main major adjustment is that you can bluff some more. At 2nl-50nl, people generally don't want to fold and if they have a flush draw they will continue to chase no matter what the odds are. People are a little more savvy at 50-100nl and actually play very tight, this means your red line (non showdown) should dramatically improve and allow you to improve your overall poker game as you will be thinking more about how to outplay your opponent. One thing that myself and Callum say a lot to micro stakes players: When you have top pair, keep betting, when they raise, fold. It really is that simple at micro stakes and people try to over complicate things or watch videos from players at 200nl and incorporate floats/bluffs etc when it really isn't needed. The way that EVERY micro stakes player wins is from showdown pots, this means we should focus on this learning to value bet thinly whilst trying to MINIMIZE non showdon losses.

2) It was an adjustment to my image, for the first 35k hands or so I just played stupidly ool, after my image got so bad I had to just change my game plan and re-readjust quicker than they could re-re-readjust meaning more value betting and less bluffing. It's actually quite similar to my recent Zoom graph from 200nl.

You can see initially my red line is really bad, I then completely changed my game plan as I had seen some bad tendancies from the majority of regs and adjusted super quick to mean my red line jumped up massively.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      The first video is titled, "You can't win if you fold" -- but illustrates another principle: "Villain will never fold unless you raise".

Was this hand zoom?

Also, I may have missed it, but I didn't hear you consider pocket 5s

Other than the river fold, doesn't his play seem consistent with pocket five and trappy play?
      Hey!

This hand from from a HU match around about new year. Because of stack depths I think we would expect villain to raise 55 on the flop very often, but yeh he can have 55 sometimes, although of course very few combos. and even less of a % of the time as he will usually c/r at some point earlier in the hand.

His play is very indicative of a weak 5 imo, which is why we went for the aggressive 3bet shove on the river.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by acceleration123
      Hey,

can you pls post the link to the hu thread ? Would be nice.
      hihi,

ASK ME! Heads Up Questions

hopefully this can be alot more strategy orientated/advanced.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      very insightfull :) ) thanks pleno1 !!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by booomm
      very insightfull :) ) thanks pleno1 !!
      No problem, feel free to ask as many questions/post as many hands as you like.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Wow amazing that you are doing this, respect!

No questions atm but I'll pass by :) :) :)

Just great! And sick graphs. What winrate is that?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Farmarchist
      Wow amazing that you are doing this, respect!

No questions atm but I'll pass by :) :) :)

Just great! And sick graphs. What winrate is that?
      I'll post my winrates/positions stats etc with a 250k sample once it's done.

Thanks for nice words and feel free to ask anything.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      good thread idea and very inspirational graph :D

i have favourited this so will be asking you some nooby questions no doubt! :f_biggrin: