The Chris Ferguson challenge

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      I decided to start the chris furgeson challenge to get money starting with $0 on fulltilt poker. Wish me luck :P

Starting with nothing but a Full Tilt Poker account, Chris played in Freerolls until he earned enough to graduate to games with a real-money buy-in. he then within 18 months turned $0 into $10000 by sticking to his bankroll management. Until i have enough to apply the pokerstragy rules 30+buyins for sitngoes etc i will pretty much play the smallest possible gametype buyins when i can afford them e.g nl10 sss and $1 sitngoes.

Anyways im a 19 yr old guy from the uk, kent to be specific and have only been playing poker for 3 months now so yes im still a rookie. I have a part time job in the weekends at a cafe and go to college during the week. Other than my new found hobby poker i also like to play the cricket and the guitar.

You may find me playing on fulltilt under the name jlhmackenzie so beware!
  • 64 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      after 1 week of fulltilt freerolls i finally made my first cash in coming 7th place to cash in $4. Now i have a problem of keeping a bankroll without going bankrupt.

I first played a few $1 turbo sitngoes both mtt and 1 table making my bankroll $12.58

I have now decided to play sss at nl 10 until i have the bankroll of $150 to play nl25 and I will also play some mtt's with a max buyin of $1 till $100 then I will play $2 games max. I understand that I may well go bankrupt again still and will carry on trying at the freerolls if i do.

I will post graphs weekly to show you my progress and will have a bankroll counter which i will update whenever possible.

Titan br:$700
      total br:$700
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Interesting project. I look forward to be following this thread..
    • xxxdannyxxx
      xxxdannyxxx
      Bronze
      good luck
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Good luck. Keep us updated.
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      DON'T play SSS on 10NL at full tilt, 10% rake kills you :)
      good luck!
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      Great stuff - I would stick with the sng's to be honest. As said 10% rake is bad.

GL

Paul
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      well its more like 7.3% including rakeback which i think i can live with. If i fail getting into a manageable bankroll the first try then atleast i have something to blame it on. thx for the interest already people.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      don't forget to play the 1k guaranteed 10c rebuy every day without rebuying :)
      just playing that might actually be the safest way of building a bankroll.
      could take a very long time though :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      after playing some 700 hands of sss on fulltilt i have decided to quit playing sss until i have atleast 30 buy ins. The reason is the variance is just too high! heres the graph of what happened.

I now have around $4 again after this swingy experience. I dont think i played any hands wrong stuck to the beginner articles word for word which i think is the best thing to do at first then adjust play after a good 5k+hands experience. Im going to go back to the $1 sitn goes decided to only play the 90 people double stack until i have 30 buyins for anything else as to make the money is soo easy its crazy and i cant be dealing with any variance (at all :P ) until i have enough buy ins.

So with this in mind i have decided to post some goals for this week starting on thurday 16th july

1. post and review 10 hands (1 so far)
      2. dont go bust
      3. get a bankroll of $15
      4. go to atleast 1 sitngo coaching and 1 sss coaching

wish me luck!
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I think you definitely already made it past the hardest part by winning money in a freeroll. I still remember being beaten around rank 250 when some idiot busted my flopped Nut Flush after calling a pot sized bet for two thirds of his stack with Q3o and only one 3 in the flop, then hitting runner-runner for the full house. :rolleyes:

You'd think by then all the idiots would have dropped out already. Haven't really played any freerolls there since. Not like it's that easy to get in one for that matter... :rolleyes:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      yeah i did have alot of problems with that I played about 10 freerolls before cashing in and I really dont want to go through it again as im sure next time itl take literally months to get itm.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      gone bust! :( didnt get itm on either 4 sitngoes and am therefore bankrupt so back to the freerolls! I will pretty much be playing any and all freerolls i can on any site I can.

Im not looking forward to this...
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      You already cashed once in these freerolls so you can do it, but as said before it can be a pain in the ass again :( .... Why not try to make 10k out of 1$ :D U restart with 1$ bankroll everytime you go bust? :D

Good luck!
    • jockye
      jockye
      Bronze
      I wish you luck with your challange.
      Actually I have the same challange and I manage to get to 500 dollars within 4 months.

I was a bit lucky tough and won a MTT winning 100 dollars or such a few weeks into the challange.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I thought to take up challange 5000$ to 1 million without going broke. Phil Ivey had that plan. I also see few problems. If I reach even @ 10 000$ mark, I would probably like to cash out smt like 2000$, so I wont move up so quickly as I could and if I manage to reach 100 000$ then ´I would probably like to cash out 50 000$ lol.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I have pretty much done this challenge with every poker platform i have.
      Played freeroll after freeroll and only playing $1 SnG's until reaching $30 then starting SSS 5/10c.
      But with pacific poker i play the 1/2c and 3/6c tables to avoid loosing my bankroll.
      Gl with your challenge.
      It's 100% possible.
      Patience Patience Patience.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Good luck with your challenge. The hardest part is actually the way to $50+ since that is where you have problems applying bankroll management. I would stick to tournaments and SNGs until you have a large BR (since especially on FT microstakes cashgame rake is very high)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      hmmm these full tilt freerolls arnt so bad after all :P came 17th in my first tourney since i went broke again to claim another $2 lets hope i make something from it...

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      not too suprisingly im back to square came 3rd in 3 turbo sit n goes $1 then lost one to pocket rockets v my kings. Then lost another on the bubble playing a8 suited on the sb against AA on bb :( o well back to the drawing board again I suppose...