This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The Chris Ferguson challenge

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      I decided to start the chris furgeson challenge to get money starting with $0 on fulltilt poker. Wish me luck :P

Starting with nothing but a Full Tilt Poker account, Chris played in Freerolls until he earned enough to graduate to games with a real-money buy-in. he then within 18 months turned $0 into $10000 by sticking to his bankroll management. Until i have enough to apply the pokerstragy rules 30+buyins for sitngoes etc i will pretty much play the smallest possible gametype buyins when i can afford them e.g nl10 sss and $1 sitngoes.

Anyways im a 19 yr old guy from the uk, kent to be specific and have only been playing poker for 3 months now so yes im still a rookie. I have a part time job in the weekends at a cafe and go to college during the week. Other than my new found hobby poker i also like to play the cricket and the guitar.

You may find me playing on fulltilt under the name jlhmackenzie so beware!
  • 64 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      after 1 week of fulltilt freerolls i finally made my first cash in coming 7th place to cash in $4. Now i have a problem of keeping a bankroll without going bankrupt.

I first played a few $1 turbo sitngoes both mtt and 1 table making my bankroll $12.58

I have now decided to play sss at nl 10 until i have the bankroll of $150 to play nl25 and I will also play some mtt's with a max buyin of $1 till $100 then I will play $2 games max. I understand that I may well go bankrupt again still and will carry on trying at the freerolls if i do.

I will post graphs weekly to show you my progress and will have a bankroll counter which i will update whenever possible.

Titan br:$700
      total br:$700
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Interesting project. I look forward to be following this thread..
    • xxxdannyxxx
      xxxdannyxxx
      Bronze
      good luck
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Good luck. Keep us updated.
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      DON'T play SSS on 10NL at full tilt, 10% rake kills you :)
      good luck!
    • punta
      punta
      Bronze
      Great stuff - I would stick with the sng's to be honest. As said 10% rake is bad.

GL

Paul
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      well its more like 7.3% including rakeback which i think i can live with. If i fail getting into a manageable bankroll the first try then atleast i have something to blame it on. thx for the interest already people.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      don't forget to play the 1k guaranteed 10c rebuy every day without rebuying :)
      just playing that might actually be the safest way of building a bankroll.
      could take a very long time though :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      after playing some 700 hands of sss on fulltilt i have decided to quit playing sss until i have atleast 30 buy ins. The reason is the variance is just too high! heres the graph of what happened.

I now have around $4 again after this swingy experience. I dont think i played any hands wrong stuck to the beginner articles word for word which i think is the best thing to do at first then adjust play after a good 5k+hands experience. Im going to go back to the $1 sitn goes decided to only play the 90 people double stack until i have 30 buyins for anything else as to make the money is soo easy its crazy and i cant be dealing with any variance (at all :P ) until i have enough buy ins.

So with this in mind i have decided to post some goals for this week starting on thurday 16th july

1. post and review 10 hands (1 so far)
      2. dont go bust
      3. get a bankroll of $15
      4. go to atleast 1 sitngo coaching and 1 sss coaching

wish me luck!
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I think you definitely already made it past the hardest part by winning money in a freeroll. I still remember being beaten around rank 250 when some idiot busted my flopped Nut Flush after calling a pot sized bet for two thirds of his stack with Q3o and only one 3 in the flop, then hitting runner-runner for the full house. :rolleyes:

You'd think by then all the idiots would have dropped out already. Haven't really played any freerolls there since. Not like it's that easy to get in one for that matter... :rolleyes:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      yeah i did have alot of problems with that I played about 10 freerolls before cashing in and I really dont want to go through it again as im sure next time itl take literally months to get itm.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      gone bust! :( didnt get itm on either 4 sitngoes and am therefore bankrupt so back to the freerolls! I will pretty much be playing any and all freerolls i can on any site I can.

Im not looking forward to this...
    • Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      You already cashed once in these freerolls so you can do it, but as said before it can be a pain in the ass again :( .... Why not try to make 10k out of 1$ :D U restart with 1$ bankroll everytime you go bust? :D

Good luck!
    • jockye
      jockye
      Bronze
      I wish you luck with your challange.
      Actually I have the same challange and I manage to get to 500 dollars within 4 months.

I was a bit lucky tough and won a MTT winning 100 dollars or such a few weeks into the challange.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I thought to take up challange 5000$ to 1 million without going broke. Phil Ivey had that plan. I also see few problems. If I reach even @ 10 000$ mark, I would probably like to cash out smt like 2000$, so I wont move up so quickly as I could and if I manage to reach 100 000$ then ´I would probably like to cash out 50 000$ lol.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I have pretty much done this challenge with every poker platform i have.
      Played freeroll after freeroll and only playing $1 SnG's until reaching $30 then starting SSS 5/10c.
      But with pacific poker i play the 1/2c and 3/6c tables to avoid loosing my bankroll.
      Gl with your challenge.
      It's 100% possible.
      Patience Patience Patience.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Good luck with your challenge. The hardest part is actually the way to $50+ since that is where you have problems applying bankroll management. I would stick to tournaments and SNGs until you have a large BR (since especially on FT microstakes cashgame rake is very high)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      hmmm these full tilt freerolls arnt so bad after all :P came 17th in my first tourney since i went broke again to claim another $2 lets hope i make something from it...

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      not too suprisingly im back to square came 3rd in 3 turbo sit n goes $1 then lost one to pocket rockets v my kings. Then lost another on the bubble playing a8 suited on the sb against AA on bb :( o well back to the drawing board again I suppose...