... and Keep Moving FORWARD.

• wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [align=center][SIZE=16][COLOR=crimson]-- It ain't about how hard ya hit --
      -- it's about how hard you can get hit and KEEP MOVING FORWARD. --[/COLOR]
      [/SIZE][/align]

Here in the "spoiler" are some of the old stuff left from my first post, which I've decided not to erase however, as well as I didn't feel the need to start a whole new blog/thread.

[spoiler]
      [size=14][b]A little POKER and [COLOR=teal]LIFE[/color] background[/b][/size]

I've been around [size=14][b][COLOR=teal]POKER[/color][/size][/b] for 3 and a half years right now, been "trying" to achieve something, but since I never took it very seriously as it SHOULD be taken, naturally I haven't succeeded much and haven't gotten anywhere, obviously. Busted my roll quite a few times, while trying different stuff on mainly no limit hold'em. Started from FR cash games, then switched to MTT's, then tried FR cash games AGAIN, then switched to 9max SnG's, then tried MTT's again :D but mostly satellite MTT's, where, actually, I might have achieved finally something in the long run if I hadn't cashed out almost all of my winnings because of my living situation, but what's done is done, obviously, so then again I switched to 9max SnG's, while one day I had a thought that I want to play heads-up :D Soooo I started HU SnG's then :) Had quite a nice run at the beginning, but since I was soooo eager to get somewhere high and do it FAST :D I used a VERY, especially for HU, aggressive bankroll management, where, of course, when a downswing arrived, I couldn't handle those massive swings and HU's massive variance neither with my BRM obviously, nor mentally ... So I got almost broke again :D leaving with the same 50$ "starting capital", which I've gotten from PS 3 years ago :D And THEN ! :D I've stumbled upon 6max format, noticed that it is way looser than 9max SnG's, meaning it is still FUN, but at the same time not that aggro and variance'y as HU :) So I started grinding 6max SnG's, built up my BR to like 300$, when I accidentally one day sat at a cash table, and realized that I like it waaaay more, as well as I realized that my post flop play is veeery poor after these SnG's, and also there are faaaar "less regs at a table" because of that fact that you can table-select. So from now on, I'm going to concentrate at [b]6max cash games[/b], starting from [b]NL25[/b], using aggressive bankroll as well, but this time I'm way way stronger mentally than before, because, actually, as I said to a friend - if you want to become tilt-resistant, you should try to play heads-up for a while :D because, MY GOD, what things, and CONSTANT things, massive 1-2 outter suckouts IN A ROW I've experienced on myself, that now, being back to FR MTT's or these my 6max games, almost NOTHING, really NOTHING surprises me anymore, as well as tilts. So that's basically why the aggro BRM :) but STRICT BRM, meaning moving down limits whenever necessary.

And as from my [size=14][b][COLOR=teal]LIFE[/color][/size][/b] context, I could mention that I've graduated in economics; and then worked for a little over than 2 years "under my university specialty", which I actually hated, as well as the whole "economics" itself; and then finally I had a chance to just quit it promising myself that I never EVER going to work ANYTHING similar, despite the pay and whatnot; and so I've been unemployed for quite a few months, but since I needed that fckng money to survive, cause I was still living with my girlfriend, and been supporting us both for quite a time, and since I promised myself not to step in any sort of boring office again, I decided to "try out my country's catering industry" working as a pizza cook; but then things got really bad at "home" with My Lady [game of thrones, ha :D ], we actually DID broke up, and I was AMAZINGLY depressed that I've never been in my life before, I instantly quit my job, didn't even wanna live at times anymore and had to take some medicine, well to cut the story short basically went a little nuts at that time :) )) BUT it is actually very nice right now that I can REALLY SMILE looking back at all of this, cause I DID learn a fckng LOT, and got some massive LIFE experience which really did make me stronger eventually :) aaaanyway, so as I was saying, I quit my job, and finally of course I didn't have the money to rent a place, so I had to go back to my parents after this while, and since I didn't have anyone no more to take care of and stuff, and didn't want to start working any other boring job, I decided that it was the TIME to finally take a serious look at poker. And so I did ... :) Well, at least I thought I did, but actually I was just lying to myself cause I've been incredibly and extremely lazy, didn't study almost at all, neither new material/videos, nor my own game, and in almost 5months ... FIVE fckng MONTHS !!! its actually a really LOT ... I honestly didn't get anywhere. And then thankfully enough I crossed my eyes on - yes, of course ! :D - Gordon's "Champions stands up one more one time than the rest" series ;) And it DID give me a WAKE which I really needed. I also tried to apply as a student of his, when being finished that last video where he invites everyone to take the challenge, but unfortunately he replied that he doesn't take any more people, and somehow, I don't really know why exactly, but I got a bit disappointed, cause I really felt like I NEED a coach, a mentor, and that I just CAN'T do this on my own anymore. So then again sadly enough I went into that "lazy-depressed mode" of mine, cause I've been having some "problems" in my personal life as well, not just poker, until ... Until few days back ;) Something somewhere in me just FLIPPED. I really DID finally somehow realized that NOTHING and NO ONE is gonna change anything, but ME ! ME and me ONLY. And I don't even need Gordon for that :P Well, maybe I need ... :D And maybe I'll buy some videos from him, or even a coaching if I have the money someday, but to make a START, I really REALLY can and MUST do this on my own. So I've read like five blogs from people who ARE under his program at this time, both IMACHAMPION blogs, and picked some learning things and tips WHAT they were and are doing, and I'm gonna adjust them a little to better suit MY needs, and I'm gonna apply them here. :) And so THAT's why The Blog. :evil:

[size=16][b]My [COLOR=teal]RULEs[/color] and TASKs :[/b][/size]

The MAIN [size=14][b][COLOR=teal]RULE[/color][/b][/size] of this blog is to update it for 5days/week, and not just to "update" it, BUT also to complete AT LEAST TWO "daily tasks" for that every particular day. It is the CORE PURPOSE of this "challenge"/blog, therefore it is a complete and definite MUST. And I'm gonna do that for AT LEAST the next 10 weeks total. After that, I will review everything and decide if I need more time, or not.

Other rules* along the LIST of DAILY TASKS to pick from:
      • hands equity, 10 exercises
      • range % "visualization" (not sure how to correctly call it though), 5 exercises
      • 5 imaginary scenarios of a hand
      • post 5 hands on hand evaluation board, PROVIDING as much info as possible
      • 1 opponent analysis, generating USABLE-VALUABLE but easy to read in-game notes
      • 1 new video, WITH mini "summary"/new things learned, posted here on blog
      • 1 new article, WITH mini "summary"/new things learned, posted here on blog
      • MINIMUM 5 pages of "Let There Be Range" book, WITH mini "summary"/new things learned, posted here on blog
      • deep analysis/"leak finder" of 1 randomly picked session
      • range estimation, 5 hands/exercises
      • attend a pokerstrategy's coaching, WITH new things learned [IF POSSIBLE], posted here on blog
      [/spoiler]

[b][color=teal]
      A major UPDATE[/b][/color]

Ok, folks :D [even though I'm pretty sure no one IS reading this :D but let's just pretend a bit, for my own sake of fun :D ], so I have a LOT of changes :) been quite busy [and some other "stuff" :D ] the last few weeks, so had to kinda "forfeit" this challenge ... And even though "theoretically" it failed, but as W43z3l pointed out in his video a very good thought - you have to understand principles, not laws :) And it's not just in Poker, but in real life applies as well. So even though "the law" here was to update this blog 5days/week with at least two daily tasks, which I obviously failed now, however the "principle" behind this law was to see the VALUE of learning :) And I most certainly did :) I already feel a huge improvement in my game [even though it is still a MINOR one, compared to what's left out there :) ], after watching those few videos, coachings, and summarizing that amazing book :) So I will DEFINITELY continue doing that, but not anymore in that strict "challenge" form though :)

So RIGHT NOW the DESIRE is as follows:
      • Mondays: main focus - zooming*.
        For at least 2 hours, if stop-loss lets me of course, AND IF ! I won't be tired after Sunday's Tournaments. Will try to post graphs and maybe some interesting hands, although not quite sure yet IF i'm gonna start right away with that, or maybe a bit later. But def someday graphs are gonna be here :)
        * yeeeeep, after watching Pleno's videos and coachings I really DID pick a lot of useful things from him, and now zoom is kinda awesome :D but let's see how that develops FOR ME though later on :D
      • Tuesdays: main focus - learning + satellite.
        At least 1 "bigger/longer" daily task OR 2 "shorter" then + the satellite in the evening if possible. Gonna summarize some stuff here as before, if there be any. And also simply just track it by saying that I've done this or that.
      • Wednesdays: main focus - zooming.
        For at least 3-4 hours, preferably trying to lean more and more bit by bit towards 4-5 hours, IF stop-loss lets me. PLUS!, would be good to attend [more often than not] Pleno's public coachings in the evening.
      • Thursdays: main focus - learning + satellite.
        Same "rules".
      • Fridays: main focus - zooming.
        Same "rules" as wednesdays except for coaching thing.
      • Saturdays & Sundays: main focus - satellites and of course Sunday Tournaments if possible.
        Also, gonna try to mix in sometimes a table or two of zoom if I feel like it, and maaaaaaybe a daily task occasionally if I have a need :)

So it is a quite simple "plan" from now on, let's see how it goes for me now and if it needs any changes :) Oh and also, just for curiosity-and-tracking-sake, gonna try to make a record here as often as possible on 1) what time did I GO to sleep last night, what time did the ALARM go off and what time I was ACTUALLY out of bed; and 2) what part of the "plan" I managed to complete yesterday, and what+why not. :) Ok so ...........

[align=center][b][size=30]Let's start again ! :) [/b][/size][/align]

• 105 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi wicKeD and welcome to the blogs forum!

I actually read all of that and it seems you've come on quite a journey so far, well done for that.
      I agree that the only person who can change you, is you, but having the support of someone close is vital for me and I'm lucky enough to have that somebody.
      and yes it's easy to get all lazy about poker, I suffer from that. Join a group and discuss strategy with them, or just have a night off poker and chill out chatting. It can get tough to keep focus sitting at home in your room on your own, I know that feeling extremely well, I lived half of my life in other peoples rooms. It doesn't matter how nice they are either.

Anyway, I've waffled enough, good luck with your challenges and I'll pop in now and again to see how you're doing.

Have fun,

Mal.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Hey, Mal !

Thx for stopping by :) Totally agree on the "support" thing with you, and actually im also kinda lucky, cause I DO have that someone - a very good friend of mine, who understands both poker and everything else that im going through and supports me a LOT :) And also totally agree on everything else you said, cause im already doing quite much for myself in that area ;) Big thanks for your insights, though ! :)
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 1 Day 1[/b][/color]

Ok so, going to start this first day of the challenge with randomly picked these two tasks: 1) range % visualization, 10 exercises; 2) and MIN 10 pages of a book, with mini "summary".

Daily Task no.1:

The main purpose of this task is to get a better feel on what ACTUAL hands these percentages that you see on your hud really represents. Kinda simple and boring one, and not really sure if it can REALLY help, cause it is very heavily opponent dependent, but lets just try anyway. So here we go:

15% open from utg might look like this:
      22+, A9s+, KJs+, QJs, JTs, ATo+, KJo+, QJo

I always thought that 15% is not much, but now I guess it kinda is ... Cause I try not to open from utg w/KJo, QJo, ATo ... Like to add more s-c there, like +76s. And still my range here, which i always thought is maybe too wide it represents just 13% !:
      22+, ATs+, KJs+, QJs, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, AJo+, KQo

So utg open like 22%, might look like this:
      22+, A2s+, K9s+, QTs+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo

Fish who plays 40% of hands might look like this:
      22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q4s+, J7s+, T7s+, 97s+, 87s, A3o+, K7o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T8o+

Rock who plays 9% of hands might look like this:
      66+, AJs+, KQs, AJo+, KQo

3% 3bet might look like this:
      JJ+, AKs, AKo

27% 3bet might look like this:
      55+, A2s+, K5s+, Q8s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, A7o+, K9o+, Q9o+, JTo

Btn wide steal for 65% might look like this:
      22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J3s+, T5s+, 95s+, 85s+, 75s+, 64s+, 53s+, 43s, A2o+, K4o+, Q6o+, J7o+, T6o+, 95o+, 85o+, 75o+, 65o

My CO steal stands for 41%:
      22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q7s+, J8s+, T7s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, A2o+, K7o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T9o, 98o, 87o

Btn steal for 33% might look like this:
      22+, A2s+, K8s+, Q8s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, A5o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o, 98o, 87o

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 4-12. [cause of chapters: 1, 2 and 3]
      Summary:

• The goal: to make educated guesses what holdings an opponent may have. ["guesstimates"]
      • Pot equity - share of the total pot.
      • Fold equity - % of the time you win the pot without showdown.
      • EV (expected value) - the average win or loss on a specific hand.
      • Equity should be the first thing you think about before you decide to check, raise, or fold.
      • Fold equity formula - how often an opponent has to fold in order to make a bet or a push +EV:
        0 = XP + (1 - X) (-LV + WH)
        x - breakeven folding frequency
        p - current size of the pot
        L - maximum loss
        w - maximum gain
        v - villain's equity
        h - hero's equity
      • 1326 possible hand combinations. [52*51=2652 divided by 2, cause A A and A A are the same]
      • Number of hand combinations PREFLOP=169. [2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,T,J,K,Q,A=13, cause suits doesn't matter, so 13*13]
      • There's a HUGE divide between what people actually do and what they should do - otherwise poker wouldn't be as profitable.
      • When facing a c/r on a relatively dry RAINBOW board where a GOOD open-ender is not possible, it is more likely villain is c/r'ing with GS's and overcards. In these situations a re-bluff (3bet) is VERY PROFITABLE.

• wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 1 Day 2[/b][/color]

1) 1 new video;
      2) MIN 5 pages of the book.

Daily Task no.1:

Video: "Evolution of Poker. Episode #1 - Ahead of the Curve" by w34z3l

Watched just a half of the video, because it is REALLY GOOD, with LOTS of VALUABLE information, definitely could be split into two in order to observe it better. So stoppped at 19:36, gonna continue it tomorrow.

One MAIN and the BEST thought of the video for today:
      • The thing that seperates losing [or average] players from winning players, is that the latter follows just general principles of the game, NOT laws. By following general principles one can create thousands of his [new] laws, that no one's ever told him, and successfully apply it to the game, whereas the losing [or average] player is just looking for the set of rules that he could follow, the system to beat the game, not uderstanding the principles behind it, WHY the certain play or move ["LAW"] might be good in most of the situations, but completely wrong in others.

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 12-17.
      Summary:

• The most obvious reason why low to mid-stakes players are worse than high stakes players is that they can't read hands as well. Therefore they are less aggressive and don't fight as much for pots.
      • Limped pots are the easiest in the world. No one fights for them, no one cares. Next time you're in a limped pot, just bet and fold facing any aggression.
      • If they call flop w/whatever they like to peel, 85% turn bet is still very profitable.
      • On a Kxx, Qxx, Jxx, even Axx dryish boards they rarely have good TP, for this reason it is really easy to take the pot from them, even on the turn w/scarecard.
      • Don't try to steal very wet and coordinated limped pots like Q 6 8 , 9 T J , K 8 Q . However, if we have some pot equity on wet flop, we can bet - J T on Q 6 8 or even 2 3 .
      • Generally, majority of the players should treat JJ like 99 and give both the same value.
      • Bet MORE TURNS !!! Especially w/SD's, FD's, TP's, overpairs - do NOT check back. [of course very heavily opponent dependent - not vs. CT's obviously]. If you DO have FD, you can hit it on the river JUST nine out of 47 times, so if you CHECK BACK TURN this is like saying you WANT to LOSE those 38 out of 47 times !!
      • The idea behind balancing is to make yourself a tougher player so people can't accurately put you on a hand, BUT ! what's the point of balancing when your opponents choose to ignore it ? In short - up to $3/6 against almost anyone, JUST PLAY.
      • WHY people like to play SO MUCH out of position when not forced to !!? Poker is a game where you make most money by avoiding difficult spots with marginal hands. You don't get penalized for folding pre-flop. So JUST FOLD !

• wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 1 Day 3[/b][/color]

1) Another half of the previous video;

Daily Task no.1:

Video: "Evolution of Poker. Episode #1 - Ahead of the Curve" by w34z3l

Onwards from 19:36.

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 17-21 [till chapter 5].
      Summary:

• Don't expect people to fold overpairs.
      • The reason we make moves is because we think our opponent's range is weak, not because we think it is strong and hope he makes a heroic fold when we represent a stronger range.
      • Value back-door draws more ! It's better to pick up a draw on the turn than to have a crappy pair with at best 5 outs which might not even be clean.
      • Consider at ALL TIMES during a hand - your equity against a STANDARD hand range, do you have any if you get called ?
        For Ex. You hold 55 on 9TT. Although your hand might very well be good here, your hand's equity is horrendous vs a standard range of 9x, Tx, QJ, 87, AK, AQ, AJ. Conversely, if you hold KJ here, your equity is decent vs any hand and you're rarely drawing dead.
      • Against those who will never fold preflop, figure out what amount they are willing to put in with rags, by increasing your preflop raise to 5x,6x,8x etc. until they fold. Then raise almost to this amount with your premiums, and be prepared to win a big pot.
      • Players don't bluff the river enough because they think they'll get called even though villain's calling frequency is so low. Hint: start bluffing more rivers.
      • Hint: You don't bluff enough. You don't re-raise preflop enough - or you do but usually give up after betting the flop. Try shoving the turn with gutshots and/or overcards once in a while and see how that goes.

• Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Great work wlcKeD so far.

I will definitely follow your progress. I am sure you can go far with such an effort.

Good luck and see you around.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alan883
      Great work wlcKeD so far.

I will definitely follow your progress. I am sure you can go far with such an effort.

Good luck and see you around.
      Thanks, but yeah ..... NOT so great AT ALL ;) missed two days out of that 5, last week ... Hope to do better this week though ... Hopefully ;) Thx for Your support !
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze

-- Week 1
      REVIEW --

Didn't do well AT ALL. Kinda bad FIRST week. Missed 2 out of 5 "daily-task-days", meaning that even FOUR days last week I didn't do ANYTHING for poker. And that's VERY BAD.

Ok, but let's focus on the future, and right now kinda hope to do better this week. Let's see if I can manage to do my 5 out 5 this week.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 1[/b][/color]

1) Hands equity.

Daily Task no.1:

PRE-FLOP:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    81.94%  81.71%   0.23% { AA }
      MP3    18.06%  17.83%   0.23% { KK }

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    87.86%  87.23%   0.63% { AA }
      MP3    12.14%  11.51%   0.63% { AKs }

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    80.45%  80.27%   0.18% { AA }
      MP3    19.55%  19.37%   0.18% { 66 }

Pocket 6's runs best from all PP's vs aces :tongue:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    77.50%  77.29%   0.21% { AA }
      MP3    22.50%  22.29%   0.21% { 65s }

Respectively, from suited-connectors, 65s runs best vs aces :) didn't know that :) always thought it is JTs :) when in reality JTs vs AA is 21.16%. Of course % difference is VERY small, but still, an interesting NEW fact for me :)

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    65.89%  65.48%   0.41% { KK }
      MP3    34.11%  33.70%   0.41% { AKs }

Wow, somehow I didn't know that AKs has NEARLY 35% equity vs kings ... not bad AT ALL.

POST-FLOP:

Board: K:diamond: T:heart: 9:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2     7.07%   7.07%   0.00% { A:hK }
      MP3    92.93%  92.93%   0.00% { 9:d9 }

TPTK+BDFD+BDSD vs bottom set = almost dead.

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    30.61%  30.61%   0.00% { A:hK }
      MP3    69.39%  69.39%   0.00% { T9o }

TPTK+BDFD+BDSD vs bottom two = kinda not that bad afterall

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    30.04%  29.64%   0.40% { A:hK }
      MP3    69.96%  69.56%   0.40% { K9o }

vs top&bottom ones = almost the same as previous, BUT !

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    18.98%  18.73%   0.25% { A:hK }
      MP3    81.02%  80.77%   0.25% { KTo }

... was very surprised why vs TOP two there's such a HUGE difference ? ?(

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    37.93%  37.84%   0.10% { A:hK }
      MP3    62.07%  61.97%   0.10% { TT-99, KTs-K9s, QJs, J8s, T9s, Kd8d, Ks8s, Kc8c, Qh8h, Kd7d, Ks7s, Kc7c, Qh7h, Jh7h, 8h7h, Kd6d, Ks6s, Kc6c, Qh6h, 8h6h, 7h6h, Kd5d, Ks5s, Kc5c, Qh5h, 6h5h, Kd4d, Ks4s, Kc4c, KTo-K9o, QJo, T9o, 87o }

So overall, if we were in sb vs bb scenario with this AK and get raised oop on this flop, most proooobably we are NOT liking our hand anymore

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 22-27
      Summary:

• Exploitable strategy might not be a terrible idea at all vs weak players who do not adjust. 1) Over-betting with the nuts, and not just on the river; 2) DONKING when drawing out of position to set our own price for it.
      • Against opponents who 3bet the bottom {ex. 22-55, 65, 8T} and the top {ex. JJ+, AQ+} of their range, it is very profitable to 4bet them.
      • Most players have a hard time playing hands such as {99, TT, KQ, KJ, AJ} from the blinds vs CO or BTN steals. This is because they try to solve the hand preflop - although they KNOW the late position opener steals a lot, they are afraid to 3bet with the aforementioned hands because they don't want to see a 4bet and fold. BUT you won't get 4bet THAT often - the CO and BTN WILL fold a LOT. So start 3betting more aggressively - you'll be a better player for it. And if you DO get 4bet a lot from particular player, start shoving 99+, AK
      • Whether to call or 3bet preflop depends on the villain - if he likes to fold, we 3bet him EVERY chance we get, no matter our holdings. And the same goes if they DO CALL a LOT, but also FOLDS a LOT to your c-bets.
      • If you sit down at a game and don't know what type of opponent villain is, go ahead and 3bet him. Then you'll know.
      • Vs those who like to both call pref and postflop - Calling Stations - 3bet broadway cards, and either don't give up on turn when you don't have a good hand - (semi)bluff more, OR check (/call) next time you have a strong hand.
      • Vs those who 3bet YOU constantly out of the blinds or whenever he's in position, especially those dumb loose aggressive players - just FOLD preflop. Just WAIT for QQ+, AK to play back, and happily call off their AQ or 99 5bet-shove, cause they'll usually think that you might have noticed their wide re-steals and just got fed up and playing back with somewhat weakish range.
      • OR you should consider turning KQ into a bluff and stat 4betting more. With card removals, there are only 24 instead of 34 combinations of QQ+, AK, meaning there are 30% fewer hands villain will stack off with.
      • OR 4bet ONLY w/TT+, AK, and ! NEVER call their 3bets, even w/AA, KK in position. When you do this, opponent might think that you are getting out of line with you 4betting frequency, and incorrectly add bluffs into your 4bet range. Plus, overtime regulars will hesitate to 3bet you, because you never call and always seem to 4bet them. As a result, they will start calling your late position steals w/KJ+, AT+, s-c's. And now THIS makes them easier to play against, cause you have both initiative, and position, with lots of money behind.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 2[/b][/color]

1) 2 short videos + the quiz.

Daily Task no.1:

Video no.1: "Hand Reading (2): The Average Range" by pokerstrategy
      Duration: 5min
      Video no.2: "Hand Reading (3): The Funnel Principle" by pokerstrategy
      Duration: 6min

Summaries:

• Funnel principle - ranges get smaller street by street.
      • Average ranges that you assign your opponents preflop are the foundation for your postflop hand reading.
      • Ex. you assign your opponent average calling range preflop, and on the particular flop you divide it into villain's probable calling, folding and raising ranges, and depending on his actual action - ex. CALL - you can remove his flop raising and folding ranges, and what is left is the villain's range that he arrives with on turn. And you do the same then for turn, and river.

And the quiz from the second video. Results:
      "You achieved 5 out of 5 possible points. This corresponds to 100 % !"
      Yeeeyyy, since that was VERY hard test :D :D :D

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 28-32
      Summary:

• Flatting from the blinds with QQ+ or AK is something players don't do enough, with the intention to either check-raise the flop {ex. w/AK, AA on K 3 7 , when opponent has very hard time folding something like KT-KQ, since you rep mostly bluffs, cause AK and AA are NOT in your flatting range preflop} or donk 3 streets for greater value {ex. w/AK, AQ on A 3 9 Q 2 , when opponent has hard time folding something like A T , hoping you rep weak ace}.
      • When poker players get confused - they CALL.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 3[/b][/color]

1) PS.com coaching.

Daily Task no.1:

No-Limit Coaching 6-max w/ Pleno1
      Duration: 1h 30min

It was a very nice coaching actually, not much to summarize though, but really liked the way Pleno plays and explains everything :) Definitely will try to catch next week's coaching from him, and also might start watching his videos here on PS.com :)

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 33-40 [b][8 pages today total - very good][/b]
      Summary:

[spoiler][list]
      [*]How do we take advantage of the players that c-bets [and makes a mistake] almost every time they raised preflop ? Vs one who usually checks back turn, you should check/call a lot of your range (pairs, gs+overs, BDFD+overs) and lead river. Vs more aggressive who tends to follow up with turn bets and even river bets, you should be more inclined to c/r flop with bluffs, semi-bluffs, and for value.
      [*]When defending from blinds, on low drawy flops, such as 5 6 T , 2 4 9 , 7 9 T , we should consider check-folding, because hands that peel these flops aren't going to fold on turn, usually having a pair+draw and don't mind continuing.
      [*]Cards that pair the board are the worst to continue bluffing.
      [*]When you open from the MP or CO, it is to your advantage to have an image where the players in position believe you. To create this image, consider NOT c-betting BUT check-folding a few flops after your preflop opening is called. You don't want the person to your left playing in your pots or floating you - you want those OUT OF POSITION to play against you. Plus, remember - it's OK not to win every pot.
      [*]Vs those who c-bets a LOT, c/c on a lot of dry flops and A/K/Q flops. Turn will likely go check-check, and once this happens - BET the river.
      [*]It is great to defend from blinds and c/c low flops with hands such as AK-AT/KQ-KJ, cause we have decent equity and often even the best hand, and also we get a bet when a A/K/Q lands and we make a pair because villain is likely going to bet at those cards. BUT if you play vs aggro oppnt who will be firing at least 2-barrels - just c/fold if you miss. HOWEVER!, when you DO hit strong hand vs him, do NOT c/r !! Check-call ALL THE WAY.
      [*]One should often float Axx flops, even better when there's flush or straight draw possible - majority of players will auto-c-bet Axx flops, and c/fold on turn when called.
      [*]Vs. regs who have a narrow UTG open, consider floating 22Q, 33K, and 55A - look for flops that can hit your preflop calling range but rarely give those tight regulars a strong hand. They will inevitably bet on these broadway flops, but will c/fold on the turn.
      [*]When players CHECK - most of the time is to check-fold.
      [*]Pay attention to players who will often bet, bet, and check-fold the river.
      [*][u]A cheap showdown is never available when you play against a GOOD player.[/u]
      [*]If you called flop and turn barrels [IP] and the river is a fourth flush card, and villain CHECKS!, please fire the river ! even if you have a small pair. You will take down the pot an unbelievable percentage of the time. And same goes vs fishy players, cause they DO fold more than they should on a four-flush board.
      [/list][/spoiler]
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      You do some remarkable work her wlcKeD. Congratulations and keep up with it.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      You do some remarkable work her wlcKeD. Congratulations and keep up with it.
      Still don't agree with you, but thx for the support ! ;)
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well i will cheer for you until you finally agree with me :f_cool:
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      Well i will cheer for you until you finally agree with me :f_cool:
      Well first of all - it IS very nice of You ! ;) aaaaand second - DEAL ;) )
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 4[/b][/color]

1) 2 new short'ish videos.

Daily Task no.1:

Video no.1: "Mental Game - Variance - Part 2" by BogdanPS
      Duration: 15min
      Video no.2: "Mental Game - Variance - Part 3" by BogdanPS
      Duration: 15min

Very VERY nice videos [including part 1 of course, which I've seen earlier] on Variance, and WHAT it REALLY IS, how it works, and how EVERYONE at ALL TIMES are affected by it. Also there are very good remarks on winning rates, what they mean, and especially WHY bankroll management is SO IMPORTANT. I would definitely recommend these videos for everyone to see, doesn't matter how long or what stakes you play. So if there's anyone who's reading this boring blog and haven't seen these videos - just GO and WATCH them. I promise you're not gonna regret it :) And ESPECIALLY for beginners, or those who like to cry about their HUGE downswings - they would def find the answer WHAT is happening to them in these 3 short videos. And of course - great GREAT job Bogdan, thank YOU ! :)

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 41-44.5 [because of the chapters]
      Summary:

• How often do we find ourselves check-calling the flop and/or the turn only to see an ace on the river and hate life? Since there are 48 combinations of AK/AQ/AJ/AT, villain will have a pair of aces a fair amount of the time. So what should we do:
        - c/r ANY river if the turn is an ace and it goes check-check
        - c/r an ace on the river if the turn goes check-check
        - c/r our draws if we check/call the flop and see an ace on the turn
        - same goes if IN POSITION: bluff-raise a turn or river ace, if your opponent bets it.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 5[/b][/color]

1) 1 new video.

Daily Task no.1:

Video: "Hand Reading Exercise with Shevtshenko" by Shevtshenko
      Duration: 25min

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 44.5-50
      Summary:

• We should RIVER c/r opponents who often value bet thin or bluff a lot.
      • Easiest situation to recognize and to BIG c/r RIVER is when you check/call A/K/Q flop and turns goes check-check.
      • The best boards for river c/r are those that don't have straight or flush draws on the flop.
      • It's also important to be able to represent a wide range of hands [at least 10 combos] when you c/r the river, cause people will talk themselves into calling if you can rep just nuts [esp. less than 5 combos] or air.
      • If you don't check the river to c/r some of the times with the flush after turn goes check-check, you SHOULD.
      • Nice line to take: the preflop raiser checks back the flop and raises a turn bet - the majority of the time we don't have anything strong when we lead on that turn and it's hard for us to continue.
      • Best turn cards to raise are those that gives the illusion of making you two pair, so def the ace, or a middle cards like {7,8,9}. And how often we should fire the river if we get called ? - A LOT ! Villain most likely has a strong hand but not great, and wants to check-reevaluate the river, SO he WILL FOLD most of the time if he doesn't improve.
      • One suggestion is if there is a particular reg who you have a lot of trouble with, go over all the hands you have seen him play and see what moves he makes that give you hard time, analyze them and add the good ones to your own game.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze
      [b]Ok, since I failed my "5day work week" LAST week, I decided to NOT just let it slide and get away like that, but to make up for it by doing a "day 6" this week. So ...[/b]
      [b][color=teal]
      Week 2 Day 6[/b][/color]

1) 2 new short videos + 2 small quizzes.

Daily Task no.1:

Video no.1: "Game plan (2): Range Protection" by pokerstrategy
      Duration: 6min
      Video no.2: "Game Plan (3): Steal-EV" by pokerstrategy
      Duration: 7min

Summaries:

• Range protection is the passive play of certain combinations of your premium hands.
      • Range protection is useful to avoid defined and capped ranges, so your opponent cannot read you that well, and that you also are able to have more value hands in your range on ex. low number rainbow flops like 7:h4:c3.
      • One way to apply range protection, is to "split up" your premium hands. For ex. before your session, determine a suit and split combinations in a 1:1 ratio. Meaning that you should CALL all KK combinations which contain a K and 4bet the others.
      • When wider ranges are in play, range protection becomes less important.
      • Your steal-EV tells you how much money you need to win with a hand after an open raise to play profitably.
      • Formula:
        StealEV=FE * blinds + (1 - FE) * (- open raise size)
      • The worse your steal-EV is, the better you need to know how you are going to win money postflop.
      • However the better you steal-EV is, you still need to remember that the ranges that your opponents are defending with are much tighter than usual, therefore - stronger, so if you DO get called, it is PERFECTLY FINE to check/FOLD a big parts of your range, cause you no longer need to win that many hands postflop, rather just wait for a profitable situation.

Ok, and very hard quizzes again:

"Quiz for the Lesson "Range Protection"
      Evaluation
      You achieved 6 out of 6 possible points. This corresponds to 100 % !"

Quiz for lesson "Steal-EV"
      Evaluation
      You scored 6 out of 7 possible points. That corresponds to 86 % !"

Last "question" 's calculations a bit confused me, but I don't think it is THAT important, to have spent more time on this, so I just made a guess, and failed :D oh well, what you gonna do :rolleyes:

Daily Task no.2:

Pages read: 50-53 [4 pages, because of the chapters, but still with more than enough of new info to process]
      Summary:

• A line lots of bad players execute that gets a lot of folds is the min-raise. So why not to add it in your arsenal ?
      • The best boards to do it on are Axx and Kxx. On these flops villain can't do much unless he has an ace or a king. And to prevent RE-bluffing, just balance your min-raising range with trash less than 20% of the time, and you'll show profit in the long run. Cause you are risking just 1 to win 1.5, thus you only need to succeed about 40% of the time to break even.
      • It also makes you a tougher player to play against, therefore people will be more reluctant to c-bet or barrel vs you.
      • The best opponents to use it against, are those that does something "too much", for ex. you should min-raise turn vs villain that has high double barrel rate, or the one who c-bets too much (75%+).
      • Donk bets are great at extracting value and to use as cheap bluffs. They also put players on tilt. And most important of all - they help us to define our opponent's hand range.
      • We should donk bet into passive players [extract value] or nitty regulars [cheap bluffs] who play 10+ tables and like to fold to avoid a difficult decision.
      • We wouldn't donk into an aggressive player without a strong hand, cause they like to raise and follow through with their bluffs. While with strong hand facing this kind of opponent we should NOT c/r, but rather c/c the flop, and DONK TURN, cause it extracts value from their marginal hands that they might check behind on the turn hoping to see free showdown, and also creates an opportunity for them to go crazy - remember, nothing tilts an aggressive opponent more than c/c, c/c, c/c OR donk, donk, donk.
      • We would also donk into players who have a tendency to check back a lot of flops while stealing pref versus blinds. This is because our calling range from blinds is tighter than his steal from late position, and you do not want him to get a free card.
      • Flops that are good for donk bets are the ones that make villain think they might get a 3bet if they raise our donk bet, such as 4 6 8 .
      • Another great situation to donk, even against aggressive opponents, is on the river when it completes a draw outside of the one we were actually drawing to - we c/c turn w/FD but straight draw completes on the river.
    • wlcKeD
      wlcKeD
      Bronze

-- Week 2
      REVIEW --

Not only DID 5 out of 5 days, but also did one extra ["day 6"] due to the "fail" first week. So all in all, week 2 - good week learning wise. Hope I can keep it up this 3rd week.