Discussion Thread: Exploits

• Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Exploits are ways to capitalize on your opponent's mistakes and weaknesses. A typical mistake is doing a certain action too frequently or not often enough. For example, many players' frequencies for betting, calling or raising are either too low or too high.
      In four new lessons, you will learn how to capitalze on the four most frequent mistakes of your opponents by using the appropriate exploit.

[List]
      [*]Exploit high folding frequencies with auto-profit
      [*]Exploit high calling frequencies with thin value bets
      [*]Exploit the potential for errors in your opponent's betting game by keeping your ranges wide
      [*]Exploit low bluffing frequencies by making exploitive folds
      [/list]

In today's lesson, you will learn what auto-profit is, how you can find auto-profit spots and what the typical situations for auto-profit are pre-flop and post-flop.

Auto-profit
      Article
      Video
      Quiz

Thin Value Betting
      Article
      Video
      Quiz

Exploitive Folds
      Article
      Video
      Quiz

Keeping ranges wide
      Article
      Video
      Quiz
  • 7 replies
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      Discussion about the hand from the news section:

Bet or check?

lnternet's analysis:
      Villain might 3-barrel in this hand. Since the K :heart: on the turn is a scare card, this seems especially likely: he will fire all top pairs again for value and he will also bet a lot of bluff hands.

However, he checks on the river this time. His checks are either hands that gave up, or made hands against which hero is ahead with his AJ (excluding QQ).

Let's think about hero's river range: hero can hold two busted FDs like Q :club: 9 :club: or A :heart: T:heart: , and he could also bluff with T9. Maybe hero even bluffs 3x, 7x or 88. Hero's value range is very narrow here: he has almost no Ks and he would probably have raised his sets and two pairs before the river.

This means that SB can call lightly in this spot. A thin value bet is your best line on the river. Hero can push all in for value. He won't win 100% of times, but 51% are enough to make the shove better than a check.

It's also interesting to ask ourselves where we draw the line. QJ is a lot thinner, since it loses to AJ and only splits against QJ. JT is even weaker. I think QJ is still a push, but JT is a check. What do you think?
    • AtrociousNightmare
      AtrociousNightmare
      Bronze
      I want to bring up a point.

Talking about Question 5 of Keeping Ranges Wide quiz.

I do not agree with a check.
      Without any info on opponent I think a bet is still the best option.

Villain can call (or raise) with 99-77 and TT if xe doesn't 3b that preflop.
      Xe can call as well with any overcard really. Or at least all broadways.
      Also 86, 76, 65, 64s if xe defends wide.
      And all these hands can improve on the following streets, still being behind. (except for the few fullhouses obviously, against which we have a redraw in any case)

Plus if we check on this kind of board, we'll never be able to build up the pot.
    • Haemophile
      Haemophile
      Bronze
      i have a question for the part on the starting hand charts in auto profit lesson

how many combos are these worth when counting the chart

1) offsuited cards
      2) suited cards
      3) pairs

my calculations make each suited square worth 4 (different suits) off suited worth 6 (CH, CD, CS, DH, DS and HS) and pairs worth 6 by same method as unsuited because there are no suited pairs but this makes total combos on that chart to 128 in my opinion and your chart states there are only 124

where exactly am I going wrong

thanks in advance
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Haemophile
      i have a question for the part on the starting hand charts in auto profit lesson

1) offsuited cards
      2) suited cards
      3) pairs

my calculations make each suited square worth 4 (different suits) off suited worth 6 (CH, CD, CS, DH, DS and HS) and pairs worth 6 by same method as unsuited because there are no suited pairs but this makes total combos on that chart to 128 in my opinion and your chart states there are only 124

thanks in advance
      Hi, Haemophile
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

Can you provide a link to the article if it isn't this one?

In that article is a chart that shows an "Average TAG on the BU"
      JJ-22, AQ-AT, KQ-KJ, KTs, QJ, QTs, JTs (#124)

Is that the one you mean?
      If so, you're definitely right, but the number of combos represented by that range is 168.
      For each offsuited hand there are 12 combos:
      The 6 you show, and the reverse -- eg A:hK and A:sK

Well spotted, I'll pass this on to the ninjas who have the power to fix it.
      Or explain why we're both wrong :coolface:

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • MickyCee93
      MickyCee93
      Basic
      Lovely this is the type of stuff I have been looking for. Just need to get a HUD now :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Haemophile

1) offsuited cards
      2) suited cards
      3) pairs

thanks in advance
      Hi, Haemophile,
      The reason the combos appear low is that the Hero's hand (A:cJ) and the flop (Q:c7:h4:2) block some of the combos.

I feel a bit silly for having missed that, and even sillier for not having replied when I found the answer a day or so ago.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Really good info, Thanks!