How do you deal with eye pain?

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I have now hollidays since tuesday, so I put more time in improving and playing poker. I am so motivated.

THe only thing that stops me is hurting eyes - because they get dry I guess. ALso they get red (maybe it also hurts when they are getting red, not sure).

I have read various articles about it. WHat I do now is:
      take breakes- when studying - each half an hour take 5 mins
      when playing - each hour 10 minnutes
      using eyedrops
      using vitamins - Ocuval (good ones, feels effect, without them would be even worse)

WHen I am at work, they dont feel great, but when I started using those vitamins, the pain has gone. It looks like when doing regular text job, it hurts eyes less than blinking table of poker. I dont even multitable that much - usually play 1 zoom and 1 normal table at same time and thats it.

So if I would want at some time of my life to have lets say part time job and play poker the remaining time, still because of that pain would be not ideal.

As I said I am motivated, esp motivates skype friends who help me and also coaches at this site, but the motivation gets killed by the eye pain.

I could just play little as I do now, but the thing is if I am progressing slowly at micros, then I will progress even more slower at higher stakes, so kind of feel that it will take forever till I crush NL100 by studying and playing very little.

THe interesting thing is that there are many people who play tons of talbes so lot of work for the eyes and they dont have such problem as me.
  • 20 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You should go visit a Doctor/Optician at the first sign of any discomfort. Your eyes are very sensitive and even a small amount of damage could provide long-term difficulties.

It's bets to see if you have anything wrong with your eyes before trying to fix yourself. They may also have some awesome suggestions.

You can also get "Gaming Glasses" and if you wear glasses you can pay extra to have your lenses with some sort of special stuff in the help eye tiredness. You can buy these glasses at a lot of places, just Google "Gaming glasses".

I can't stress how important it is to make sure your eyes are healthy before from an expert, self diagnoses almost never works out well.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yeah gaming glasses makes world of difference to me when it comes to how much time I can play. Some people use f.lux app it's free so try it out. I personally found it annoying.
    • DannyJQ
      DannyJQ
      Bronze
      http://justgetflux.com/ - this could help you too if you are not using it. Weird first 1-2 days, then lifechanger. I cant imagine staying in front of pc without it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by DannyJQ
      http://justgetflux.com/ - this could help you too if you are not using it. Weird first 1-2 days, then lifechanger. I cant imagine staying in front of pc without it.
      Yeah, I use flux too -- you don't notice it except when it changes.

On the topic of eyes:
      See an ophthalmologist.

There are a host of conditions that can produce the symptoms you describe -- everything from allergies to glaucoma to whatever.

If your eyes get sore or tired after long hours of viewing a computer screen, check out your workstation ergonomics.

Check out this document from WorkSafe BC

This was used as the basis for the ergonomic review of my desk at work.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      thansk. I am also using flux.

About eye doctors - I have an opinion what they could say - just sit less near computer :D but if you think they could say something better, then maybe I should really visit.

About gaming glasses I have heard various opinions - some say it does not help. Maybe should buy and try myself.

BTw gaming glasses could help until my eyes is good. But what for people who are already wearing glasses? Are there existing gaming glasses with zooming view?

Btw I also wash my eyes with water from time to time, to get them not dry. I feel like when I am from shower, the eyes feel better.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Go to the eye doctor immediately as suggested :) If you are in pain and it doesn't go away then it's time to make a visit ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yea you can order gaming glasses with "zoom" :D Idk if you should buy it or not tho, just borrow from someone you know for a while if possible, they are quite expensive after all.

You can still experience eye dryness, like recently air in place where I live was very dry prob mostly due to using electric heaters (but it gets dryer on winter anyway) and naturally my eyes got dry too.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Idk if you should buy it or not tho, just borrow from someone you know for a while if possible, they are quite expensive after all.

One guy says if I order from amazon, I can send them back if I dont like them. But I heard in lithuania its some rule that in 2 weeks you can bring the product back to shop, but I am not sure if it is real thing or not. Would be easier to buy in shop where I can put them on and see if they feel well (sizing for example).
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      What city you live in? As far as I remember Skytech.lt sells it and has shops in many cities so maybe call them to see if they have it in your local shop etc
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      What city you live in? As far as I remember Skytech.lt sells it

vilnius. Yeah, I checked skytech site and currently they dont have, but found in another

http://www.deze.lt/index.php?PHPSESSID=vo37r3seiuj5ilrqu2rpms0aq6&mid=79&cid=897
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey guys I downloaded that flux thingy. Turned it on but after 30min or so I felt sick. Is this normal and should I just keep going with maybe small intervals?

Thanks!

RasTweet
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hey guys I downloaded that flux thingy. Turned it on but after 30min or so I felt sick. Is this normal and should I just keep going with maybe small intervals?

Thanks!

RasTweet
      You need to right-click the try icon and set the setting to match the lighting where you are.

There are two sliders one for daytime, and one for night.
      You set the colour temperature to match your lighting type.

I suggest that you set the transition speed to "slow" at first.

Feeling sick is never good :s_cry:

--VS
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I'm also trying out flux, for 2 days now!

Strange at first but I'll see if it's something I can stick with.

I like it so far, I just turned it off and the screen looks so damn bright I had to turn it back on :D
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If you right-click the tray icon there is a switch you can use to turn it off for an hour in case you need to do colour-sensitive work.

I've used it for quite a while now, both at home and at work.

I sleep like a rock, but I doubt that it is due to anything that flux does.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by RasTweet

Thanks!

RasTweet
      You need to right-click the try icon and set the setting to match the lighting where you are.

There are two sliders one for daytime, and one for night.
      You set the colour temperature to match your lighting type.

I suggest that you set the transition speed to "slow" at first.

Feeling sick is never good :s_cry:

--VS
      Thanks VS!

I took my time today and tried to put it as 'accurate' as possible. And I must say I could really notice the difference. My eyes are so much more relaxed right now.

I can get used to this.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I just downloaded flux, it's kind of cool, so will see how it goes. The one thing that I do find really strange is the colour of the mouse cursor in the night mode, hard to describe but I think it's the only colour that doesn't get dulled so it seems really bright. Is this normal?
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I'm on a mac, but my mouse slightly gets dulled though. Not as much as the whole screen but still.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      My gunnras has arived :) so the first imperssion - eyes bit sting and so force to blink. Blinking is good, but I am not sure why I feel bit sting with them :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I guess you have to get used to them? I never tried gaming glasses so I can't really say.

I'm using this flux thingy since it's been posted in here and I must say it is the nuts! I can't believe I used to sit in front of my screen on full brightness.