Crushing 2NL

• MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze
      This is the answer to some people who think that the best style of play at 2NL is to play very tight and almost never bluff. Listen to me, this belief is totally wrong.

I play a very LAG style with a VPIP of 40+% and these are the results ater 35.000 hands. My winrate is 28bb/100 and I achieved that by making people think that I'm bluffing more often than I do.
      Of course you will have big variance if you choose to play like that but if you multitabling you can make far more bigger profits that the nittys out there.

At 2NL I found that there are some categories of players, the fishes, the nittys, and the regulars. So I tried to find a way to beat all these type of players in order to win more and after all I can guarantee that these steps work.

1. Stay away of the nittys when they raise, and bluff them at small pots, it's almost impossible to beat these guys at a showdown.
      2. Value bet more hands against fishes and calling stations
      3. Bluff often enough against regulars but be ready to play the same way when you have the best hand
      4. Show some big bluffs (but only the big ones) and build a reckless image then tighten up, if they start to fold again advertise some bluffs and get ready to exploit
      5. Don't be afraid to let others catch you bluffing. Know that everytime you make others guessing you make money.
      6. Get ready to fold. Normally you will take more action from your opponents and they will raise (or check/raise) you with many many hands, although you still have to fold sometimes cause many of them will not care about your style and will keep value bet only premium hands, you must identify these opponents and keep notes all the time.
      7. Always have a plan about your next move at a pot.
      8. Never care about your cards, the most important is what your opponents have and how far they are ready to go with it.
      9. Play at tables with high VPIP and play aggressive, if you find more aggressive opponents and you can't adjust then it's not a shame to change table, there will be a next time.
      10. Always play aggressive with sets and strong draws against anyone, be ready to play for stacks in both cases

profit in US dollars
      profit in big blinds
      profits in US dollars (include zoom)
  • 55 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey MaNiaC86,

I've separated and moved your post to our 'Learning to Win' board as I feel it will get more comments there then tacked onto the end of an abandoned blog.

If there's anything we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Laz
    • MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey MaNiaC86,

I've separated and moved your post to our 'Learning to Win' board as I feel it will get more comments there then tacked onto the end of an abandoned blog.

If there's anything we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Laz
      Yeah, I'm new to the forum... thank you very much ;)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      No worries. :)

Nice graphs btw :s_thumbsup:
    • MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze

Thank you!

Could you help me to make the images to display inside the forum so others can see them directly without to have to click at the link?
      I don't know why it doesn't work.
    • bernardohf
      bernardohf
      Bronze
      Congrats for the nice graph.
      Did you play it at PokerStars?
    • MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bernardohf
      Congrats for the nice graph.
      Did you play it at PokerStars?
      Thank you very much! Yes this is all at pokerstars.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by MaNiaC86

Thank you!

Could you help me to make the images to display inside the forum so others can see them directly without to have to click at the link?
      I don't know why it doesn't work.
      Hey MaNiaC86,

Unfortunately displaying images requires bronze status. This is easy enough to get by taking advantage of one of our free poker money offers.

Also you could consider a Points Package.

Cheers

Laz
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by MaNiaC86
      This is the answer to some people who think that the best style of play at 2NL is to play very tight and almost never bluff. Listen to me, this belief is totally wrong.

I play a very LAG style with a VPIP of 40+% and these are the results ater 35.000 hands. My winrate is 28bb/100 and I achieved that by making people think that I'm bluffing more often than I do.
      Of course you will have big variance if you choose to play like that but if you multitabling you can make far more bigger profits that the nittys out there.

At 2NL I found that there are some categories of players, the fishes, the nittys, and the regulars. So I tried to find a way to beat all these type of players in order to win more and after all I can guarantee that these steps work.

1. Stay away of the nittys when they raise, and bluff them at small pots, it's almost impossible to beat these guys at a showdown.
      2. Value bet more hands against fishes and calling stations
      3. Bluff often enough against regulars but be ready to play the same way when you have the best hand
      4. Show some big bluffs (but only the big ones) and build a reckless image then tighten up, if they start to fold again advertise some bluffs and get ready to exploit
      5. Don't be afraid to let others catch you bluffing. Know that everytime you make others guessing you make money.
      6. Get ready to fold. Normally you will take more action from your opponents and they will raise (or check/raise) you with many many hands, although you still have to fold sometimes cause many of them will not care about your style and will keep value bet only premium hands, you must identify these opponents and keep notes all the time.
      7. Always have a plan about your next move at a pot.
      8. Never care about your cards, the most important is what your opponents have and how far they are ready to go with it.
      9. Play at tables with high VPIP and play aggressive, if you find more aggressive opponents and you can't adjust then it's not a shame to change table, there will be a next time.
      10. Always play aggressive with sets and strong draws against anyone, be ready to play for stacks in both cases

profit in US dollars
      profit in big blinds
      profits in US dollars (include zoom)
      I'll display them for you. :)
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Good job do it a zoom guide and without hud thanks :P
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      I don't think that playing TAG and never bluffing etc. is the best way to win money but it is most certainly the easiest way to make money as a beginner. That's why ppl recommend to beginners to play really tight and solid at first.
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      I think the OP has made some good and valid points here. He is clearly adapting to different playing styles of his opponents, and exploiting them, which you need to do. I also do this myself but my style of play overall is weak tight. :f_grin: I know playing weak tight isn't profitable at higher levels, but it is working a charm for me at 4NL. I currently have a 20bb/100 win rate over 60k hands at 2NL, 4NL and 4PL. I have also noticed that TAGs do poorly overall at micros. Maybe it is because they don't know where the fold button is. :D
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Well played :s_thumbsup:
      I definitely agree with you! :)
    • MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze
      "People don't bluff nearly as much as you think they do.
      Pros win because they play big pots with the best hand, not because they use super advanced strategies.
      Pros win because they depend on the fact that you just won't believe them."

Daniel Negreanu - Power Hold'em Strategy
    • fpBoss
      fpBoss
      Basic
      Hey Maniac86, nice graph mate.

I would like to know more about your style. If you are interested to talk about strategy, send me a PM with your skype.

GL at the tables.. keep crushing.
    • MaNiaC86
      MaNiaC86
      Bronze
      Hey man thanks for reply.
      It's been almost a year since I post this and I can say I have made a big improvement at my game since then. I didn't play a lot of poker during the summer and I started to play again before a couple months.

I play 2NL up to 6 tables at regular full ring and 6max tables (no zoom) and I have already made a good bankroll.
      Normally I shouldn't play here but the only reason I haven't move to bigger limits is because I have made some withdraws (I needed the money for personal reasons) and my strict bankroll management plan does not permit to play higher just yet.

If you want to speak about strategy you can join a small group I have at fb is called The Hustlers, also you will see some hands that I have upload at boom.
      If you play at PokerStars you can join my private room and we can play together for playmoney as we discuss about strategy.
      The ID is: 604074 and the password is "onlinepoker2013"

Here is a new graph to compare with the old graphs (only 21.000 hands of them are zoom and the profit is about $50)...
      Graph
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      this is mostly pretty good advice, and yeah tightness at micros is overrated. that said, being tight lowers the amount of tough spots that you get into, so no wonder it gets recommended for newbies.
      in any case, if you are good enough to play this style well at 2nl, then you are definitely good enough to play higher. i've played a similar style at zoom 5nl for lulz.
    • Juglinjugglo
      Juglinjugglo
      Bronze
      jesus those graphs are so beautiful..
    • kidzoltan
      kidzoltan
      Platinum
      I used to play LAG(over 60VPIP) on NL2 for fun during classes, and yes it is very profitable. :f_drink:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, MaNiaC86,
      This is an old article:
      The 8 Player Types - How to Get Their Money
      I bookmarked it long ago, and read it now and again.

The new version has only 5 player types, but I couldn't find it just now.
      [Edit: found it:]
      The Five Player Types

What you say in your first post is pretty much spot on, but bear in mind that your 40% VPIP there is a clue to how others play back at you. You say it yourself in the first line or so:
      The way to play against the very loose, very aggressive player (from the article) is:
      from the article
      When facing a maniac, you should:

play tight
        induce bluffs
        refrain from bluffing yourself

But the most important thing is that you change your play to match your opponent.

I had a bit of a revelation over the last few days. I tightened way up to 17/13 yet I had one of the best sessions I've ever had.

I did it primarily because the other players I was meeting were being very active and very aggressive pre-flop and it was fun to be ready for them with the goods.

I love playing at tables with two nits on my left and a very loose player on my right.
      If its the other way around, I find another table.

Really great thread!
      VS