Quiz of the Week: The value bet

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Welcome back to another edition of "Quiz of the Week". This week we are going to talk about the value bet: what is a value bet? How do you bet for value? When should you use the value bet?

Make sure you read and absorbed the information from this silver section article first:
      Betting types - The value bet

Once you feel you are ready, follow this link and try your hand at this week's quiz:
      Quiz of the Week: NL - The value bet

Feedback is obviously appreciated, so let us know what you think about this quiz:
      - how many points did you get?
      - how was the it overall?
      - what would you have done differently?
  • 10 replies
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      You achieved a total of 14 out of 18 possible points. This corresponds to 78 %!

Good quiz
      I messed up question 8 (and of course 9 after it) and lost 4 points. I agree with the answer though.
      As usual the only complaint is not enough questions :D
      Keep up the good work
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      12/18 (fl player)
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      14/18

i put wrong answer(bet/fold) at question 4. Didn't put much thought to it obviously bet/call is much better.

good quiz , thumbs up :)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      16/18.

Cbet is not for value in my opinion ..... "in some cases" just confused me.

Same counts for semi bluff - it's not for value.....I ignored the answer "in some cases"

--> The answer yes is definitely wrong, because you can't know against what you are up, you can be nearly dead in a lot cases. Furthermore we do make semi bluffs with weaker draws as well, not only with strong draws.

The quiz has a leak!
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      I got 12/18 tho i disagree with the last two questions. I agree with the summary that we would probably have to raise/fold if we faced a re-raise and for this reason alone i decided check call would be a better option because its about 50-50 his calling/reraise range of beat/split or actually ahead and we definitely have showdown value. If I held AK I would value bet, its a very fine line this one on right/wrong. Obviously I got the last question wrong because of this as well.

Tribun: cbet can be for value ie you cbet with your AA on an A72 board. And for the semi-bluff i think its referring to building the pot, ie you have a straight flush draw, your not holding anything at the moment but you can value bet because it is likely you will make a big hand. Also the semi-bluff is what it says "semi", you may be ahead you may not, you got something and therefore in many cases you will be ahead and betting for value, (especially against one opponent) ie holding middle pair. Hope that makes sense.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      That's not completely right. The answer "yes" ( semibluff is for value) gives you 1 point and that's just wrong for the reasons I posted earlier.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Ah I see what your saying, I didnt see there was 1 point for yes on that question. I would have to agree with you in that regard as in some cases it is for value (ie strong draw), when in others it is more of an information bet (mostly hoping to take it down right there) where if you face resistance against a tight player you would probably slow down/give up after a call or reraise.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Tribun is a fish :>
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      That's not completely right. The answer "yes" ( semibluff is for value) gives you 1 point and that's just wrong for the reasons I posted earlier.
      I was gonna write a long post about this too + the conti bet question but I deleted it at the last second cause I didn't want to get it wrong :p
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by awishformore
      I am a fish :>
      fyp

Wow, Terrorblade got something right that concern NL games. Let's play donkements mate!!!!! :D