w34z3l's red line rampage (new video series)

• w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      w34z3l's red-line rampage

Hey guys,

This hasn't officially been given the green light yet, but I figured I'd post the writeup

This 10 part series is designed to expand on the concepts established in the w34z3l's walkthrough series. The original series set out guidelines for acheiving a positive winrate at the micro-stakes, yet the concepts and strategies discussed were by no means exhaustive.

The more advanced strategies discussed in this series will -

i) help players boost their winrate further
      ii) underscore key concepts needed for moving up limits
      iii) deepen understanding of how our strategy affects non-showdown winnings (also how to acheive a postive or break-even redline even at the lower limits)
      iv) lay the groundwork for more in-depth database analysis specifically using HM2

The series will primarily focus on 2nl-100nl 6max cash games although the concepts should be of interest to players of all limits. Use of database analysis will be emphasised to help solidfy and also prove the concepts discussed.

The video series will also be supported by a strategy thread which will be monitored, similar to the w34z3l's walkthrough thread. Before starting work on the series I would like to enlist the help of some volunteers with 60k+ samples in their database at limits played between 2nl and 100nl at the 6max cash tables. The databases will be filtered and analysed during the videos, as well as some specific hands reviewed. I probably will need 3 volunteers, so if you are interested and would like to see your DB reviewed in a vid please post in the thread or send me a private-message through the commity tool. (This will be especially useful if you have winrate issues or your red-line is very low, so feel free to post a little info in your note).

Here is the proposed outline, although it may be subject to change if such changes would contribute to the logical development of the series.

#1 Discussion of red-line vs blue-line (Silver) Causes of low red line. How not to improve your red line. Is red-line really that relevant?

#2 Discussion of using 3betting and 4betting (Gold) to increase our red-line. Demonstration of how we can expand on the ranges given in the original walkthrough series.

#3 Blind defense: Preflop. The effect our blind-play has on our red line with a basic outline regarding postflop strategies. A recommended method for analysing our efficiency from the blinds using HM2 features will be outlined.

#4 Multi-way pots. How to play in multi-way pots, especially after defending from the blinds. The importance of a donk-betting range in multi-way situations will be discussed as well as the effect multi-way situations should have on our chosen bet-sizing. Database will be filtered for relevant examples as in most part of this series.

#5 Orphaned pots. Discussion of orphaned pots and winning money without showdown. Special emphasis on situations where we defend the blinds and the PFR checks back, along with in-position situations where our opponent checks twice. Multi-way situations will also be included in the discussion to augment the principles discussed in video 4.

#6 Raising,check/raising and floating flops. Many of the situations we will look at again involve playing from the blinds. However we will also situations as the cold-caller since this was not covered in the original walkthrough series.

#7 3barreling and river play. After we decide to raise the flop, or 3bet preflop, which are good spots to 3barrel. What affect will this have on our red-line?

#8 Turn play after floating. Assuming we just float the flop rather than check-raise, how should we be playing on various turns and rivers.

#9 3bet and 4bet pots - The original walkthrough series promised to discuss postflop play in 4bet pots. This never happened. There was simply too much material to cover.

#10 range protection - It is important to understand the limitations of the aggressive strategies learned. When should we slow down and think about protecting our range? How can we also use our image to get paid off lighter with our value hands.

Themes that will be covered that don't have a separate video yet will appear throughout the series -

- Protecting our equity
      - Overbetting/Underbetting
      - Going for thin-value
      - Profit situations with any 2 cards
      - HM2 database analysis
  • 133 replies
    • elpsycho
      elpsycho
      Diamond
      Hi w34z3l!

I play NL10-NL25 and it would be very nice to volunteer for this series. I'm always struggling with the red line and trying to find some ways to improve it, but I can't say that I had great success with it :f_grin:

I have about 100k hands in my DB on those limits
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Sounds perfect =) Please add me on skype. Skype alias is the same as pokerstrategy.com alias.
    • Alleen86
      Alleen86
      Platinum
      Hi w34z3l!

I would like to participate! I play NL10 6-max. Currentlly have 95k hands there and non-showdown winrate is -15,29 bb/100. I would say that this probably qualifies me as a decent candidate. :f_biggrin:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Alleen86
      Hi w34z3l!

I would like to participate! I play NL10 6-max. Currentlly have 95k hands there and non-showdown winrate is -15,29 bb/100. I would say that this probably qualifies me as a decent candidate. :f_biggrin:
      Excellent! I think you are already on my skype so just ship me your current DB whenever =)
    • joey1toe
      joey1toe
      Bronze
      Hello!

I'm playing NL2, I have 150k hands so far, my red-line is in the green but I would love a chance to improve my game! so sign me up please! :s_drink:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by joey1toe
      Hello!

I'm playing NL2, I have 150k hands so far, my red-line is in the green but I would love a chance to improve my game! so sign me up please! :s_drink:
      I have 3 DB's so far now. I will take an additional 2 including yours. Thanks!

Please add me on skype. Username same as pokerstrategy alias.
    • SillySaurus
      SillySaurus
      Bronze
      Hey W34z3l.

I have 63k hands on nl5-10 6max zoom on stars and would love to volunteer for this. :f_biggrin:

I have indeed been struggling with the red line so would really like to hear what you have to say. :f_love:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by SillySaurus
      Hey W34z3l.

I have 63k hands on nl5-10 6max zoom on stars and would love to volunteer for this. :f_biggrin:

I have indeed been struggling with the red line so would really like to hear what you have to say. :f_love:
      Thanks for volunteering!

I have 5 DB's now (including yours) which will definitely be enough.

If you guys have anything in particular you'd like to see covered in the series then just post here and I will try and incoporate.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      seems like the series has the green light now, I just need to think of some catchier names for the vids - let me know if any suggestions =D
    • Nordkind
      Nordkind
      Bronze
      Hey W34z3l, if u still want a Database i have 260k hands on NL 20/25/50 already got back to break even and my reline is constantly moving down. I would love to take part for the german community :)

Right now i am working myself, threw your walkthrough just to work on my basics again, as i am fighting a downswing or even my bad playing. Cheers
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Nordkind,

Thanks for dropping by! That's a nice sample size of hands.

I think I have enough material for now, but I've put you on my reserve list in case more sample is needed. Thanks =)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys, just a quick update,

So I've fixed the titles of the 10 part series as requested - they are as follows.

1. Myths and Realities
      2. Printing Money Preflop
      3. Blind Efficiency
      4. Multi-way Mayhen
      5. Free Money
      6. Flop Fighter
      7. Bluff Barrels
      8. Turning it Up
      9. Party on the 4th Floor
      10. Defend the Fort!

4 live coachings sessions have also been negotiated to run alongside the series. Any feedback on what you would like to see contained in these is welcome!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, w34z3l
      I'd like to see some specifics about squeezing and defending against squeezes.
      Also, river play -- especially calling river bets.

Those two areas hurt my red line the most.

Cheers,
      VS
    • Ales851
      Ales851
      Gold
      Hello w34z3l,

I´m looking forward to this series a lot. You videos are the biggest eye-openers for me from whole PSGY.

I would appreciate following topics if it would be possible (not sure if they are fit for this series or not):
      - Defending vs squezze as raiser/caller
      - Defending vs 3bet OOP (hero is OOP)
      - Differences in defend vs 3bet vs polarized/depolarized range (maybe more aimed to depolarized)
      - How to work on my game - let say I´ll reserve 45 minutes every day and some extra time at weekend for off-table work. What should I do? Is it possible to post some patterns or ideas for habits, which should help to constantly improve my game? For example I review my previous sessions but often see too many things that I´m probably starting to be paralysed from analyzing.
    • blicax
      blicax
      Bronze
      iam hope that series come really fast :D

Regards Adam :D

Homework 1

here is my crazy graph :D
      NL5 6max
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys!

Thanks for dropping by and giving suggestions.

I've decided I will probably need another 2 DBs, so if you interesting in seeing your DB analysed in a video then please message me =)

@sillysaurus - I couldn't get your DB to work, please can you resend?
    • Sadaus
      Sadaus
      Bronze
      I have a nl10 database in PokerStars zoom, really had much problems with red line. Sadly, that's only 40k hands. Maybe that would be ok?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      sure, can you add me on skype? Skype name the same as pokerstrategy.com alias.
    • Ales851
      Ales851
      Gold
      Hello, I have a database with 130k hands from NL10 fastforward (fast on party poker). I´ll try to write you on skype during a day. Now I have to deliver some gifts :f_grin: