Format for begginer

• VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

My wife has some free time now and wants to give poker a try. I play 6 max CG micro and low stakes. She knows the rules of NLHE, but I was wondering if some other poker format would be more suitable for beginner (like razz, 5 card draw, etc.) and easier to learn. What do you think?
  • 7 replies
    • saltbeef
      saltbeef
      Bronze
      It all comes down to personal preference. For me I love playing PLO but I make my money NL Holdem. They say that NL Holdem is the Cadillac of Poker and Doyle Brunson even says it's the only pure game left. Just his opinion of course.

If she is only used to 5 card draw and has never played online than I would probably give that a go first but if you are in it for the money than at some point she will have to learn Holdem because that's where the fish are and hence that's where the money is. However in saying that, Holdem is a lot harder for a beginner now than it was when I started in 2002. Just have her look around here and the rest of the web. Memorize starting hand charts first and than move on from there.

There is a ton of information right here at your fingertips. If it's not already here, ask a question in the forums, and I am sure you will get the answer you need.

Good Luck. Hope this helps,

Robert
    • VaskataBuci
      VaskataBuci
      Bronze
      saltbeef, thank you for the very useful opinion.

Good luck to you!
    • ivailoss
      ivailoss
      Bronze
      She should try and play what she enjoys!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by saltbeef
      If she is only used to 5 card draw and has never played online than I would probably give that a go first but if you are in it for the money than at some point she will have to learn Holdem because that's where the fish are and hence that's where the money is. However in saying that, Holdem is a lot harder for a beginner now than it was when I started in 2002. Just have her look around here and the rest of the web. Memorize starting hand charts first and than move on from there.
      Hi, VaskataBuci,
      I rather agree with saltbeef, but I would not suggest playing 5-Card Draw online w/o reading up on it first.
      The game as toughened up in the last few years as people have started to realize that there are strategies even in this most basic of games.

There is an article on 5-Card Draw at PokerStrategy.com that will get her started, if that is the way she wants to go. At silver level there are a couple more articles. There is material in the "Other Poker Variants" part of this forum too that might help.

I wish you both the best of luck,
      VS
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      If she knows NLHE, she knows the basics of most poker variants and the different formats are just learning the strategies.
      I think NLHE STT's are a great way to start out, but why not try 5-card draw, 7-card stud, omaha, etc... and see what seems like more fun?
      If you have more fun with a certain variant, you are more likely to put the effort in to learn it and work on getting better and ultimately have more joy and success.
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      I think he easiest game to learn would be Limit Holdem. In limit Holdem there seems to be a lot more black and white situations. What I mean by this is the choice of action to make in the hand should be clear after learning the basic limit holdem strategy. With NL Holdem there seems to be an infinite number of variable that need to be accounted for before making a decision. With an infinite number off variable to account for leave much more room for mistakes. Once you have a positive win rate with Limit Holdem switch to NL Holdem. The nice thing about Holdem games is there is an abutment amount of materials and coaches for the game. While other version have less do to popularity of the games.
    • Post removed