[Completed] Holiday & Tankroll BRMs in Practice: €300 -> €1500 mostly in €10 Twister

• tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Hi all!

I was thinking about a fun challenge independently even before KTU's new BRM system video appeared, and Twister happens to be my main and pretty only game now anyway, so I now feel even more obliged to deliver :f_biggrin:

I think I'm the kind of player whose result in the experiment could actually be interesting because I've played fewer than 2K lottery SnGs lifetime because of fatigue issues, despite having played Twister (and Spin & Gos too) since the first weeks of their existence. [The former is a rare achievement because, for the first few days, Twister was available only at Everest and a sister skin of its owner, was rolled out to other iPoker skins gradually later.]

Here's my lifetime chip graph in the €10 Twister as of the start of the challenge (June 1).
      http://i.imgur.com/VfjSOVZ.png

As can be seen, I had 35%-ish adjusted ITM in the latter half (since this April), and I think that I was playing the B-C-game a lot then and almost not studying apart from Tim64's and Moskvyak's (Russian community) videos and public coachings. (Guess the moment when I started watching them.) [In the hindsight, it was a heater :f_tongue: ]

Challenge Terms

Poker room: Coral*
      Starting BR: €300**
      Goal: €1500***
      Start / GRoDT opt-in date: 01.06.2015*** (first official report on 08.06)
      Inspiration:

:f_drink:

Legacy / archive / worst case scenario:
      Partial payment for 20 m.sq. here, close to Moscow

or perhaps 26 here if I have a bit more money

or maybe 28 here if market prices fall in Minsk as they should :gl:

Long asterisk remarks inside:
      * Betfair is recommended instead for the long term sake to those who can get tracked to it - have no account there yet and can see the room on Pokerstrategy's list. If it's not shown on the list despite your country not being listed as banned in the T&C, it means that Betfair has chosen not to track new players from your country, e.g. from Russia, to affiliates since the summer of 2014. Betfair has a similar liquid reward system (first deposit bonus plus instant point exchange that will probably be handy in the challenge) to Gala and Coral, plus is included into Top100 unlike the latter two, plus runs the SNG Gold Rush and (after the first bonus ends) Bank Job promotions. Coral is about as good as Gala, owned by the same company.

** This amount has been chosen naturally because €250/£200 would allow a player new to Coral to trigger the first deposit bonus in full, but OK, the €1500 goal is not much bigger than €1250 and rounder. According to the YOHAWBO rule ('you only have a welcome bonus once'), it's best to 1) trigger the full welcome bonus or at least as much as you think you'll be able clear within the designated timeframe and then some, 2) have an active bonus at only one skin of a network at a time - not hop from one room to another too often and, if a slight rakeback reduction occurs at your current room, withstand the temptation to switch elsewhere for 5% gain (the number of network skins is finite, while the poker career can last long), 3) pick rooms with big bonuses only when you're ready to clear a significant portion of them, whereas while your monthly volume is small, leans towards the skins with smaller bonuses that still 'fit your size'.

*** That's for compliance with the Get Rich or Die Tryin' competition. I've chosen not to opt in this week because I'm not totally ready with hotkeys, Notetracker, etc., and I want to get this done in as few calendar weeks as possible for the maximum glory. But most importantly, I'd like to reserve this and next week for the thread chat because I'll be busy playing later.

Reports will contain 1) chip EV graphs, 2) € graphs with cashback added (but without the $EV - it's rather useless for Spins/JPs/Twister, the chip EV is what matters). I reserve the right to either add promotional winnings or refuse to disclose some of them in order to attempt in vain to guard the screen name mistery. I'll give moderators all needed info about my rewards upon request anyway. Appropriate corrections of the RB amount will be made during the weekly official reports.

I'll be obviously playing on weekdays too, hopefully for many hours a day, but it will actually put me at a disadvantage because games are tougher on weekdays. The thing that will really matter is the overall number of hours spent to reach the goal. I hope it will be low enough to prove the point that one can earn a good vacation quite fast.

I'm going to cash the winnings out in reality, but I wouldn't switch to higher BI lottery SnGs anyway because they happen at Rational's sites where life is not that peachy and I wouldn't be able to grind at that many tables effectively and with relaitively low variance :f_tongue: I mean, more dollars per hour can still be earned at the higher levels, but I couldn't care less because I'm in the holiday mode :f_cool:

I really don't want to play €5s because I'm rich enough irl to afford a reload and play €10s all the time and don't want the challenge to disrupt my normal grind; so if I play €5s, that will be not for long regardless and primarily to rebuild confidence or test a software setup. That said, the field quality will call for going down to the €5s from Monday to Wednesday.
  • 59 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver

In the week that has just ended, I thought a lot about the motivation (KTU advises to have a tangible dream put up, and I agree with it to some extent) and my outlook has turned upside down again :f_biggrin: (the inspiration part of the OP has been updated to reflect this).

I keep hating my time zone (UTC+3) wholeheartedly. I've been trying to shift my sleeping hours ahead so that I'm fresh (hence winning more from tired opponents) in the European evening. It was possible a couple of years ago, but nowadays, the neighbours are too noisy in the daytime. While others can fix the problem with biphasic sleep, somehow naps don't work well for me (I wake up nervously 45-60 minutes in when I'm supposed to nap for 90 minutes). It's actually been a while since I last raked $300-600 within a day :f_frown:

Right now, it's 3 AM here, and I've been rather groggy since about 9 PM, had a real-life commitment before (visiting the mother). I'll play a bit now at my own risk, but the chip winrate isn't going to be spectacular despite the excellent (in quality, not quantity) field at this time. And it happens pretty every day. I've bought an eye mask and have been using earplugs for long, but they're not very effective.

So I've returned to the recurrent dream of moving to Latin America (also influenced by watching too many telenovelas in childhood :f_biggrin: - my mother was a housewife and there were no domestic soap operas in Russia at the time) and am attempting to learn Spanish once again, by grinding Duolingo this time.

Long story short, the start of the official challenge is shifted to June 1, which is also my newly self-imposed online birthday :f_drink: (the staff members know my passport one, but it doesn't matter). Obviously, I wanted to make myself a present, but it isn't happening after all.

The volume goal (yet quite doable, I hope) for the current week is:

~900 €10 Twisters,
      ~250 $5 Spin & Gos (as a guest appearance), mainly on Sunday.

A few intermediate chip graphs and questionable hands may be posted.

For now, I offer to discuss the following hand (possibly not more than a display of my weakness, it might be standard for regs).

It was the first hand of the Spin, Villain was unknown but playing on a phone :f_tongue:

PokerStars - $4.65+$0.35|10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 500
      SB: 500
      BB: 500

SB posts SB 10, BB posts BB 20

Pre Flop: (pot: 30) Hero has J:club: 8:club:

Hero raises to 40, fold, BB raises to 100, Hero calls 60

Flop: (210, 2 players) 3:heart: 3:club: 5:club:
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (210, 2 players) J:diamond:
      BB bets 100, Hero?

Of course overpairs are in his range and consistent with the whole line, but if he also plays at least AK like this, calling twice (to keep air in and except for A/K rivers) becomes more profitable than folding (even shoving is a bit more profitable then, though it's not optimal because overcards would correctly fold and overpairs would correctly call).

Speaking of the flop, I don't like stabbing because we have no value, some equity to be realised and aren't folding out anything (the flop hasn't hit our weak perceived range).

Calling the 3bet pre was probably too loose (the straight potential is too low), was a rather automatic decision because of my PLO background - one doesn't simply fold anything that plays well postflop to a small 3bet there IP :f_biggrin:

As for the following hand, I'm rather interested in how a player note influences the strategy...

Villain was playing on a phone and had showed a cheap double barrel bluff attempt two hands before:
      PokerStars - $4.65+$0.35|10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

Hero (BTN): 410
      SB: 690 (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      BB: 400 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB 10, BB posts BB 20

Pre Flop: (pot: 30) Hero has 3:spade: 5:club:

fold, SB raises to 40, BB calls 20

Flop: (80, 2 players) Q:heart: Q:club: 9:spade:
      SB checks, BB bets 40, SB calls 40

Turn: (160, 2 players) T:spade:
      SB bets 100, BB calls 100

River: (360, 2 players) A:diamond:
      SB bets 100, BB calls 100

SB shows 8:heart: 7:heart: (One Pair, Queens)
      (Pre 40%, Flop 9%, Turn 16%)
      BB shows J:club: 9:diamond: (Two Pair, Queens and Nines)
      (Pre 60%, Flop 91%, Turn 84%)
      BB wins 560

PokerStars - $4.65+$0.35|15/30 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

Hero (SB): 440
      BB: 385 (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 37.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
      BTN: 675 (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)

Hero posts SB 15, BB posts BB 30

Pre Flop: (pot: 45) Hero has T:heart: 6:heart:

fold, Hero calls 15, BB checks

Flop: (60, 2 players) 3:spade: 9:spade: Q:diamond:
      Hero?

Is limp-stabbing justified in general vs such an opponent? (I didn't feel like investing 40 chips pre, being afraid of low fold equity, a high 3bet% and thus a reduced opportunity to realise the equity.) Is this drawish board still OK for a stab/fold with total air?
    • aeusse
      aeusse
      Silver
      Hi friend,

In first hand his range is mostly of PP, maybe 99+ and many Aces, in which could have AJ and maybe some suited broadways, when he miss cbet flop his range goes mostly to Aces, you can call here and mantain his bluffs in, fold is not considered and if you get a not dangerous card on River you should be avalaible to go allin, shoving is not a good option because in his range you will hardly get "J" with lower kickers.

Second hand, you should make a bet, this bet in limped pots get too many fold equity, and if you get resistance you should consider folding, don`t go big on limped pots.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Many thanks :f_love: , that's what I was thinking too.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Oops, I have a habit of playing in terrible (sleepy) shape, and besides, no wonders are happening and it looks as though my true chip EV is 20-30 per tourney, not more :facepalm: :facepalm:

One of the first strategic improvements that come to mind may be the analysis of play against min-3-bets (that usually indicate a face-up preflop monster, especially if made by a reg). Using an equity tool like Odds Oracle (or Equilab), it's possible to determine whether the implied odds that I have with a non-premium hand suffice to peel.

I think €10s will still be theoretically profitable at the weekend, but I'm afraid I'll have to be dropping down to the €5s on Mondays and Tuesdays. The OP and the challenge terms have been updated accordingly :f_tongue:

The learning of Spanish is going without much enthusiasm, for half an hour of poor quality daily :facepalm: I'm too sociophobic to find a Skype teacher yet.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Get Rich Or Die Tryin' Opt-In

Poker room: Coral
      Starting bankroll: €300
      Goal: €1500

My Pokerstars activity won't be included because I don't want to spend extra time taking screenshots of a client where I normally play only a few tourneys a week.

The bankroll is given as of 0:30 CET (and I have its screenshot in case mods require it).

It has grown up a bit since then: I was playing €10 Twister with 30 BIs :facepalm: trying to get a €20 token under the Payday Payback promo instead of €10, but because of technical problems, I started too late and fell short of the target, can't complain about the outcome, though :coolface: But most of the profit came from using the 4 free €5 tokens that I was given - in HU supers, obviously.

Believe me, it could be much worse :yaoming:

I wasn't a total crackhead, but checked the cashier after the first 10 or so games, saw that the balance didn't fall too low and continued sticking to the €10 guns :f_tongue:

Don't repeat this at home if these are the last dollars of your net worth, it's a road to the bustoville for sure.

+€43.90 so far :profit:

It's an easy game when a 'reg' gives me gifts like this:

iPoker - €9.30+€0.70 | NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players

SB: 1,422
      Hero (BB): 78

2 players post ante of 5, SB posts SB 30, Hero posts BB 60

Pre Flop: (pot: 100) Hero has 4:spade: 7:diamond:

fold

Hero mucks 4:spade: 7:diamond:

Hero wins 100

A big database review is ahead today :facepalm:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Tony,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

I hate my time zone here in Australia (UTC+10) because it is hard to get up at 4am to play the bigger guaranteed MTTs. On the plus side though we have sunny weather and nice girls. :f_biggrin:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Thanks!
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      On the plus side though we have sunny weather and nice girls. :f_biggrin:
      The thing is that Central America has both (I've grown up on telenovelas, which has made me biased for latinas in the purely aesthetic sense :f_tongue: ) PLUS comfortable time zones plus a twice lower cost of living :f_drink: minus good job opportunities but hopefully I'll be #NEET4life anyway :f_cool:

A technical note:

Derp, there are depositor freerolls! :f_drink:

I forgot about their existence yesterday. Ideally, the deposits should have been broken down as €250 yesterday to trigger the top tier of Payday Payback* + 5x€10 on Tuesdays starting on June 9 to qualify for 4(-6) €25K freerolls. Let's pretend that it's indeed happening this way, so if I hit the -€260 low point this week (not tonight), my result in the July 12 freeroll (if it happens) won't count (as if I had to throw in an extra €10 prematurely), if I hit -€270, the July 5 result won't count either, etc. The actual further deposits will be subtracted from the actual balance for reporting purposes.

* Btw, I have managed to get the €20 token in the end because apparently the server day ends at 23:59 UTC / 0:59 BST on the entire iPoker and I had earned the 200 points by then.

I doubt the challenge will last for more than a month, though. I'm supposed to be either rich quick or busto fasto :f_biggrin: (Seriously, if I can't earn €1200 a month in poker with high reliability, then I have to start gradually seeking a plan B.)

Regarding the Summer Days promotion, I don't think it justifies playing cash games for me that much (I'll surely get 1 token a day by playing Twister): about 5K entries are expected in each €1K freeroll (we'll see the actual figures later, though), so each will get €0.20 on average, while if playing NL20 with 40 bb, I'd pay like 5 bb/100 (?) in rake, i.e. ~€0.60 in ~60 hands, and the 33% boost doesn't offset my fishiness in the format and the money lost by not playing Twister at this time instead. I obviously can take a punch at PLO20 with 100 bb, but then 17 bb/100, or ~€2 in ~60 hands, would be paid and the extra return would be just 10%.
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Tony,

nice to see you back blogging, allways enjoyed reading your blogs so i am sure i will read this one also :f_thumbsup: gl with the challenge and cu at some of the freerolls :f_wink:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Thanks! :f_love: Heh, yeah, maybe we'll meet up in some of the depositors ones. It's not so probable, though, because I'm gonna play them with as late reg as possible (39 minutes in) in order to maximise the hourly (i.e. to start the session as late as possible, being a big night owl :f_ugly: ).

I've been a bit silent lately, but I've had a nice upgrade of the warm-up routine and also a coaching session with Tim64, hopefully both things help me gain the momentum, though the will to play is still low.

At Collin Moshman's public coaching, abarone68 showed an example of slowplay (?) OOP in the HU of a $15 Spin, namely, flatted a minraise pre with T9o and check/called on the :Tc: :6c: :3h: (or similar) flop, to keep bluffs in. I find it pretty nontrivial because, as someone who has played PLO for long, I'm very allergic to playing multiple streets OOP with a hand that is currently the best most of the time but vulnerable to most board runouts (any overcard turn or river in the NLHE case), but Aaron's suggestion is surely worth analysis because apparently people don't check back as often as they do in PLO and he could extract one more street of bluff.

I won't play for too many hours tonight anyway because I'm yet to have a talk concerning Spanish.
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Good luck with you challenge mate and wish you hit the highest multiplier each month :sfishg:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Thanks, let the same happen to you! :f_thumbsup:

Actually, it's more probable on iPoker because the frequency of the top tier is 1 game in 20K. So the top grinders must be winning top tier tourneys twice or thrice a year :f_drink: But I'm not one :f_cry:

Speaking of, Coral is running a Twister promotion, doubling up any 1000x jackpot that is won in the €1-2 Twister on Saturday or Sunday. It's easy to see that the promo provides 25-30% extra rakeback on average (proportionally to the expected ITM, 25% for ITM=35%, the higher the better), plus the Summer Days promo gives a boost too. So I've decided to test the €2s out, but alas I didn't persuade myself to sit in early enough because there's a lot going on in the real life (I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to San Jose [Costa Rica] or Panama City next year).

Therefore I don't have a remotely significant sample for the €2s and can't tell if I can play them for a living :f_grin: Basically, I've been slacking the whole week :fouet:

The fact that I didn't hit the tables after the Champions League final is disgusting, there was so much value in playing then.

While playing the €20 token through in a HU super, I failed miserably, exploited the hell out of myself (by not following a lead up by a second barrel often enough, it seems).

[I did meet the minimum Spanish learning goal (~0.5 h a day + a bit of random reading of LatAm websites), but that was of low quality and not enough.]

Hence my totals for the week are as follows:

Get Rich or Die Tryin' report

43 tournaments
      +€42
      €342
      1 week
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      It was another week of laziness; what excuses me is that I've done a ton of research on relocation opportunities. The leader of my country attractiveness rating is now Nicaragua, offering ridiculously cheap life and relatively easy naturalisation by $30K investment (or marriage, for that matter), though I've heard there are also big problems there like frequent and unannounced power outages (thus an uninterruptible power supply device is needed), plus banking is difficult there for a foreigner unless s/he creates a business (sociedad anónima), which I'd do anyway, but it does require weeks of paperwork.

Graphs:
      Chips in Twister

Winnings

+ €6 bonus; note that the tournament count includes all-in shootouts, which I've totally bricked.

62 tournaments
      -€5
      €337
      2 weeks
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I put a lot of time into posting on a Spanish forum this week, so there was hardly any volume again, sorry.

Graphs:

+€12 bonus

62 tournaments
      -€19
      €318
      3 weeks
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Tony,

So you doing good with your Spanish? Thought you would be at vacation already by now or atleast close to pack your bags by now :f_rolleyes:
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      El estudio no va mucho bien, tengo que utilizar muchos instrumentos virtuales por escribir correctamente :f_frown: , no podré ir a un país hispanohablante este año. (Translation: the study isn't going very well, I have to use many virtual tools to write correctly, won't be able go to a Spanish-speaking country this year.)

I've run a few numbers today while getting up and it turns out that the situation is ridiculously easy for me.

Even with 50-ish tourneys a week, my profit expectation is big enough to cover the life expenses, which are about $200 a month here :f_biggrin: (I don't have to rent yet :f_rolleyes: ).

Moreover, if I just bumhunted Stars 30s with whatever tables Spinwiz gives (15 an hour probably), which I do have money for, for 120 (quite relaxed!) hours a month, and managed to sustain a 35.5%+ ITM there (which might be a stretch :f_rolleyes: ), I'd be making about twice the average salary in Moscow (the latter is $800 a month after the currency crisis; the cost of living and salaries in Latin countries are even smaller).

However, this wouldn't fix the underlying problem reducing my workable hours - poor sleep quality caused by both the unconventional schedule and the neighbours making noise at totally random times. The reason behind moving to Central America is to address the former (so that the playable hours are in the afternoon when I feel fresh) and hopefully the latter.

Another major issue is that I don't know where to spend so much money that poker is still providing in general :f_tongue:
    • rompas
      rompas
      Learning a new language that is not similiar to your own can sometimes be really hard,, do you study in some school or mainly just from internet?

about poker, i guees if you move you will need to have some extra money for the move and starting up in a new country could cost some extra money, allways comes up some extra things that you will need to pay for
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      That's true but I expect this investment to pay for itself manifold.

I'm learning online because it's faster and I'm too awkward socially to attend a school. To begin with, the problems that eventually caused me to stop working outside of poker started when my brother paid for a French course and I had to attend it, running into upper middle class people of different ages whose mockery I was afraid of.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I'm done for the month, need to do something with the health and alertness first. I'm trying to start going to bed before or around midnight consistently, which is terrible because I'm missing the Latin semi-peak but is a temporary fix under the circumstances because playing at half the desired hours is still better than feeling groggy all the time and not being able to play at all. I think I won't do well in the long run without a fitness club, as scary as real-life interaction sounds to me. Sorry for the grumpiness.

+ €20 in promos

49 tournaments
      +€84
      €402
      4 weeks
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Meh, it's rather hot here. I've only played five €1 Twisters because Coral gave me tokens for nothing, and also a random €20 HU superturbo, which I won, the opponent didn't seem a reg but I felt too unfocused to rematch.

I'm happy with Paraguay's 4th place at the Copa America, congrats to those who were supporting Chile and condolences to Argentine fans! The strongest teams had to try harder to win in the main times but failed, relied too much on penalty all-in shootouts.

7 tournaments
      +€23
      €425
      5 weeks