• BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey, you have the same name as that guy from Friends
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Hey, you have the same name as that weird northern guy who writes about poker and is possibly some sort of sexual deviant.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Looks like a potentially nice blog to follow, subbed! :f_thumbsup:
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Session overview
      I started off today's session by first reviewing some tricky hands from my last two sessions. I thought I'd actually played quite well, though there were definitely some river spots where I should have folded and one hand I butchered loltastically.

I have a lot of trouble with spots where we have a strong hand, villain's value range is very narrow, and his bluff range is non-existent. When he only needs 2-3 bluff combos to make your call profitable (but realistically has 0), it's tough to lay it down.

I find making big folds a real challenge because it's impossible to know if you were right. Of course I know that it's all range versus range and that it doesn't matter if my fold with that specific hand in that specific spot versus his specific cards was correct or not, but it's unsatisfying to never be 100% sure. I'm going to look at river folds in a lot of detail and making them a focus of my hand analysis, so that I can do my best to know 99.99999% that I was right.

After reviewing my hands, I set the following goals for the session:

- Don't be afraid to make folds in spots where villain's bluff range is 0%
      - Think before continuation betting, try not to bet because "it's standard"
      - Don't stray from your preflop gameplan without good reason
      - Recognise that winning/losing hands or sessions doesn't affect long-term goals

So, with all that in mind I fired up 2 then 4 tables of NL10 with the following results:

Hands played: 420 (#blazeit)
      Profit: €14.56
      Current bankroll: €516.02
      Total profit: €16.02/€5,000

All in all, I felt that session went really well. I was running quite well, not just in terms of getting cards but in terms of my decisions showing immediate results, i.e. I'd make a call that has to be good X% of the time and it was good in that specific instance. Again, I shouldn't care, but the instant gratification is nice. I was playing confidently but not cockily, and I think I was making good decisions all round.

I think that I met my short-term session goals of continuation betting properly, keeping to my preflop gameplan (and adjusting it as necessary, e.g. with big fish to my left or in the BB). I didn't really have to make big folds or lose any potentially-tilting pots, so I'm not sure how I'd have handled that. I'm definitely due a re-read of TMGoP. I think my reluctance to make big folds is an ego thing, but realistically it's just as much of an ego-boost to have the discipline to make a big laydown as it is to make a big hero call or bluff. That's just something I have to reinforce in my head.

It's worth noting that I won't make my 6,000-hand goal this week. I knew I wouldn't; my mum and aunty are flying over to visit on the weekend so I won't play at all then and I had a very poor session on Monday. I'll probably miss most of my goals this week but will be getting them all next week for sure.

Biggest pot won
      I couldn't have asked for a more perfect turn and river. Shame he only had 80BBs.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $11.59 (115.9 bb)
      BB: $7.91 (79.1 bb)
      UTG: $12.03 (120.3 bb)
      MP: $10.65 (106.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $11.01 (110.1 bb)
      BTN: $22.23 (222.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A 9
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.67) 9 A 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.67) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

River: ($1.47) 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.10, BB raises to $3.33, Hero raises to $10.34 and is all-in, BB calls $3.91 and is all-in

Results:
      $15.95 pot ($1.06 rake)
      Final Board: 9 A 9 7 6
      BB showed T 8 and lost (-$7.91 net)
      Hero mucked A 9 and won $14.89 ($6.98 net)

Biggest pot lost
      Shame that my biggest pot lost is me barrelling off like an eejit rather than a cooler or something but that's how I roll!

SB: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $18.56 (185.6 bb)
      UTG: $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $17.76 (177.6 bb)
      CO: $13.08 (130.8 bb)
      BTN: $24.52 (245.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A Q
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1, MP folds, CO calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.47) 6 3 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, CO calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.87) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, CO calls $2.60

River: ($10.07) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $7.04, Hero folds

Results:
      $10.07 pot ($0.67 rake)
      Final Board: 6 3 5 K 4
      Hero mucked A Q and lost (-$4.82 net)
      CO mucked and won $9.40 ($4.58 net)

Interesting spot with a big combo draw
      Going to post this one for analysis later. Really wasn't expecting so much action here, and I have tons of equity but I am facing very strong ranges. Having Equilab'd it, it's a snap call, but I didn't expect to have so much equity facing a range that includes A7hh/A6hh/AThh etc

SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $24.37 (243.7 bb)
      CO: $15.73 (157.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $11.26 (112.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 J
      UTG posts BB OOP, UTG checks, MP folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($1.62) 5 8 7 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.40, SB raises to $3.60, BB raises to $9.68 and is all-in, Hero says wtf happened in this pot?!

Next session goals
      Goal #1 - continue to focus on mindset and making the best decisions; it's easy to do when you run good!
      Goal #2 - continue to articulate your thought process; don't fall into the trap of making "standard" plays.
      Goal #3 - before session, adjust your HUD colour-coding. You seem to have ballsed it up a bit.
      Goal #4 - do some looking into two barrel spots.
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Very nice blog and big welcome in the BR challenge :welcome:
      You got another follower starting today that wishes you good luck completing all your goals :gl:
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      What did you think of Game of Thrones finale?

Hows the beard going?

Whats the best book you've read this year so far?

Where is an internet?
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BarryCarter
      What did you think of Game of Thrones finale?
      TBH I thought it was pretty crappy. I felt like Jon's storyline had been badly-paced throughout this series, and while it did make room for an excellent episode 8 I think the finale was a culmination of rushed writing. I thought Cersei's bit was excellent (and also that her bits were excellent) and Arya's section quite cool, but I've never been a fan of the show's Stannis and that's been massively exacerbated by the past few episodes.

Still gonna watch series 6 though, if only because I want to know vaguely what happens in the next book before I read the next book. The night is dark and full of spoilers. I've always been in the camp that Jon will be revived by Melisandre and I'm even more certain of that now that she's back at The Wall.

Hows the beard going?
      Quite well. I've taken to getting it trimmed down to a #6 on the sides every couple of weeks. I've also been using moustache wax recently which neatens things up a bit. Still fighting off the ladies, obv.

I read Slaughter House 5 back in February, which was my first Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it. I've got a couple more Vonneguts to get through because I like his writing a lot. I also liked No Country for Old Men. I watched the film soon after and it captures it well.

Where is an internet?
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Looks like a potentially nice blog to follow, subbed! :f_thumbsup:
      Originally posted by teddypoker
      Very nice blog and big welcome in the BR challenge :welcome:
      You got another follower starting today that wishes you good luck completing all your goals :gl:
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I read Slaughter House 5 back in February, which was my first Vonnegut, and really enjoyed it. I've got a couple more Vonneguts to get through because I like his writing a lot. I also liked No Country for Old Men. I watched the film soon after and it captures it well.
      [/quote]Ok may have to go with SH5, you are the 100th person to recommend it I think
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      John Green has a good video analysis of SH5 on YouTube that you should watch once you read it.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      John Green has a good video analysis of SH5 on YouTube that you should watch once you read it.
      "Breakfast of Champions" ftw -- it is really his best overall, but I think my favourite Kurt Vonnegut is "Slapstick".
      It is totally weird.

So it goes...

I have a lot of trouble with spots where we have a strong hand, villain's value range is very narrow, and his bluff range is non-existent. When he only needs 2-3 bluff combos to make your call profitable (but realistically has 0), it's tough to lay it down.
      Do you find that in many cases, your call is motivated by pure curiosity?
      I often have to tell myself, "I know I'm curious to see what you have but it isn't worth the pot to find out" in order to find the fold.

Curiosity killed the cat...

Peace,
      VS
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Do you find that in many cases, your call is motivated by pure curiosity?
      As Sean Connery said when asked what his favourite herb is: partially.

I think it is part-ego (i.e. I don't want to get bluffed) and part curiosity, but the latter relates to the former. It's definitely more of an ego thing than a curiosity thing.

To combat this, I'm making folds with strong made hands a focus of my hand analysis on both 2p2, here and when discussing hands with friends. I'll never know with 100% certainty whether or not I was bluffed, but I'll know whether or not I made a +EV fold which should be a sufficient boost to my ego to make up for it!

Just taking a break from a thus far successful session. Pretty tired but I want to hit 1,000 hands today; halfway there so it's coffee time!
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      I had a reasonably not-busy day at work today (hey, it's Friday) which meant that I got to finish of w34z3l's walkthrough series. Definitely a very cool series, and while it's intended for less experienced players than myself I'm not arrogant enough to think I didn't learn anything from it! Even stuff I kind of knew intuitively was nice to reinforce. I had a quick glance at Red Line Rampage which looks cool; that'll be the next series on my list for sure.

A couple of the lads and I went to KFC after work, which I haven't had for literally years. It's still finger-lickin' good. When I got home to a freshly-cleaned apartment (had a woman come in as mum is visiting tomorrow) I was ready to hit the tables - but I had to remember to edit my HUD colours first!

I use the following colours for my HUD stats:
      Red = insanely tight, i.e. >80% fold to 3bet or <15% VPIP
      Orange = quite tight, i.e. >65% fold to cbet or <6% 3bet
      Green = fairly standard, i.e. 22-27% VPIP
      Purple = quite loose, i.e. 8-12% 3bet or <50% fold to cbet
      Pink = insanely loose, i.e. >30% PFR or <35% fold to 3bet

This way I can see each stat at a glance and know in which way it's exploitable. The numbers could be refined (the above are just off the top of my head anyway and not what I actually use) but it gives me a general idea.

So I had a quick review of my notes from w34z3l's videos and a couple of things from The Mental Game of Poker then fired up some NL10 tables. The games are always fantastic on a Friday night, so I was looking forward to playing (but trying not to feel overly confident!). Anyway, here's what happened:

Session overview
      Hands played: 968
      Profit: €91.96
      Current bankroll: €605.38
      Total profit: €84.33*/€5,000

Didn't quite make that 1,000 hands but I have to be up early tomorrow and I was getting really tired. Hurt to pull myself away from those games but it had to be done.

So if I had to rate that session out of 10, I'd say:
      My playing: 8/10
      My mindset: 10/10**
      My results: 999999/10

I've never run so good over the course of an evening. I honest to God had AA at least ten times, flopped trips at least seven or eight times and made almost every draw. I'm happy with my play outside of that (can only think of a few spots off the top of my head where I made a decision and then thought "oh wait actually...") and mindset-wise I think I maintained a realistic level of confidence and didn't start playing every hand assuming I was Ivey. My VPIP was actually a little higher than I'd like (28.2) but as I say I was getting a ton of hands.

*Just realised this means I forgot to post about my first session on Monday which was -€22 or so.
      **Easy enough when you're sun-running.

Biggest pot won
      Not the greatest turn, but versus this player I was reasonably confident in getting value against Kx or Qx. Assumed the rake was winning when he shoved the river.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $14.83 (148.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $17.23 (172.3 bb)
      MP: $14.78 (147.8 bb)
      CO: $10.29 (102.9 bb)
      BTN: $9.37 (93.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A K
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.25, Hero raises to $0.80, SB calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.70) 5 A J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.90, SB raises to $2.30, Hero calls $1.40

Turn: ($6.30) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.65, SB calls $3.65

River: ($13.60) Q (2 players)
      SB bets $7.70, Hero calls $7.70

Results:
      $29 pot ($1.93 rake)
      Final Board: 5 A J T Q
      SB showed 6 7 and lost (-$14.47 net)
      Hero mucked A K and won $27.07 ($12.60 net)

Biggest pot lost
      Got it in good; that's all that matters. This was versus a 53/30 fish, so I was confident he'd stack off with 99+ at the least here.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $10.46 (104.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $14.58 (145.8 bb)
      MP: $10.75 (107.5 bb)
      CO: $6.17 (61.7 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A
      MP raises to $0.40, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.30, MP calls $0.90

Flop: ($2.65) 7 8 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, MP raises to $4.02, Hero raises to $10.20, MP calls $5.43 and is all-in

Turn: ($21.55) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($21.55) 7 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $21.55 pot ($1.43 rake)
      Final Board: 7 8 5 5 7
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$10.75 net)
      MP showed 6 5 and won $20.12 ($9.37 net)

Noteworthy hands
      This was versus a very aggro reg and shortly after I'd bested him in a couple of spots. Was a tricky decision and largely based on dynamics, not sure if it was super +EV. Will make a hand analysis post for it.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10, $0.02 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

Hero (SB): $18.49 (184.9 bb)
      BB: $12.93 (129.3 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10.09 (100.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7 J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.48) 6 8 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.08) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $2, Hero calls $1.30

River: ($5.08) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3.90, Hero calls $3.90

Results:
      $12.88 pot ($0.85 rake)
      Final Board: 6 8 9 5 K
      Hero mucked 7 J and won $12.03 ($5.61 net)
      BB showed 6 4 and lost (-$6.42 net)

This is just me being super-cool. Versus bad TAG.

SB: $12.15 (121.5 bb)
      BB: $13.41 (134.1 bb)
      MP: $11.59 (115.9 bb)
      Hero (CO): $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10.03 (100.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3 A
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.55) 8 K 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.55) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

River: ($1.15) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

Results:
      $2.75 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K 7 2 4
      BB showed Q J and lost (-$1.35 net)
      Hero mucked 3 A and won $2.57 ($1.22 net)

Favourite hand of the evening. #TGIF

SB: $6.07 (60.7 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $10.11 (101.1 bb)
      Hero (CO): $19.51 (195.1 bb)
      BTN: $10.52 (105.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A A
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN raises to $2.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $19.51 and is all-in, BTN calls $8.42 and is all-in

Flop: ($21.19) 8 2 6 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($21.19) T (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($21.19) K (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $21.19 pot ($1.41 rake)
      Final Board: 8 2 6 T K
      Hero mucked A A and won $19.78 ($9.26 net)
      BTN showed 9 3 and lost (-$10.52 net)

Next session goals
      Goal #1 - continue working on mindset esp. re: folds and not getting over-confident
      Goal #2 - study up on w34z3l's vids, start Red Line Rampage
      Goal #3 - continue being amazeballs (oops I broke #1 already). Really though, mindset is important. Before I sit down for my next session on Monday I need to remember that I'm not going to win 9.5BI every 1k hands.
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze

Over the weekend, I played <100 hands and 4 Twister SNGs. Made €7 in the former and lost €2 in the latter which gives us a bankroll of around €610 - I'm not looking at the account right now so I might be a few quid off.

On the plus side, I had a very nice weekend with my mum and aunty. We went up to Howth and ate some great seafood in a bizarre restaurant.

Let's review all the goals I failed!

[ ] Play 6,000+ hands
      As discussed above, I knew this one would be a fail. I didn't play much on Monday as I was setting up my HUD etc. and didn't get a chance to play on Saturday/Sunday; these are days in which I'd usually be able to play a combined 2,000+ hands. I'm not super confident of making this goal this week either, though I'm going to have a pint with an old PS buddy, Ronny, on Saturday afternoon and then visit the missus in Kilkenny.

This means I'll have to play 6,000 hands by Friday, which happens to be the work summer party. I'm going to try and make the goal anyway, but it'll be tough. On the plus side, I did spend some time 6-tabling during my big Friday session and felt fairly good about it, so I'll be able to bump my hourly hands rate up to 400ish. If I have to, I'll jump on some NL5 Fast Fold tables alongside my usual grind to make up the numbers. NL20 would be a bit much at this stage, I think.

[X] Spend 8+ hours reviewing hands/studying
      Actually made this goal. Probably watched roughly 4-5h of videos, posted a few hands on 2p2 and talked over some hands with mates. Nothing really groundbreaking to report here and I update each session with things I'm working on. Currently, cbet ranges and BB defending is my focus for improvement.

[ ] Exercise 5-6 times
      Failed this one, though I did go for a run three times last week. This goal I actually am confident of making this week, even though I won't enjoy doing so.

[ ] Read 8+ hours
      While I did (re)read some of The Mental Game of Poker and Easy Game, I got distracted by podcasts here and fell short. I am ordering some new Vonnegut books though!

[ ] Write 4+ hours
      Not even close. Writing is hard.

[x] Learn 2+ new basslines
      I'm giving myself this even though it's cheating because I've not quite fully learned I Want You Back, but close enough.

Total: 2/6

A poor show, but one I saw coming. Making my volume goal this week will be difficult since I've a busy weekend (and I'm going to Galway the weekend after, so that'll be tough too...) but I've no excuse for missing any others. Predicting a 5/6 for next week.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin

and when discussing hands with friends.

Who? Ross or Monica, Don't say Joey ffs :coolface:

:sorry:
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      I considered taking a break from playing today, since I was pretty tired after sleeping on the sofa all weekend. I was aware of my volume goal though so I opted to play.

I regret it.

I didn't play horribly and I didn't lose a lot, but I felt pretty mentally unprepared. My thought process was duller and I got a lot more tired a lot more quickly than usual. Rather than carrying on, potentially losing, potentially tilting and potentially losing more I decided to call it a night after 450 hands, despite setting my goal at 700. I have a late start at work on Wednesday, so hopefully I can play 1,000+ hands tomorrow and feel a lot better about playing, too.

My HM2 is playing up a bit so I can't post my biggest pots won/lost etc. at the moment. The former was AK v AQ AIPF and the latter was a boat v quads hand I should have folded one street sooner.

Session overview
      Hands played: 430
      Profit: -€1.92
      Current bankroll: €607.36
      Total profit: €90.27*/€5,000

My playing: 6/10
      My mindset: 7/10
      My results: 5/10

Giving myself a good-ish mindset mark for a) not tilting b) quitting when I wasn't playing as well as I should. Fortunately I think I've worked on my game and my mindset enough that my C-game isn't totally -EV at NL10, but it's not optimal.

Next session goals
      Goal #1 - prepare properly for session: review notes, analyse past two days' hands.
      Goal #2 - revise 3bet pot play
      Goal #3 - sleep!
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61

and when discussing hands with friends.

Who? Ross or Monica, Don't say Joey ffs :coolface:

:sorry:
      From what I recall of the poker episode I wouldn't get advice from any of them. Ross lays down the best hand and none of them can stop string betting.

I think Monica would be the best player of the lot, though; she'd run the table over with aggressive 3bets.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      This is just me being super-cool. Versus bad TAG.

SB: $12.15 (121.5 bb)
      BB: $13.41 (134.1 bb)
      MP: $11.59 (115.9 bb)
      Hero (CO): $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10.03 (100.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3 A
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.55) 8 K 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.55) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

River: ($1.15) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

Results: $2.75 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: 8 K 7 2 4
      BB showed Q J and lost (-$1.35 net)
      Hero mucked 3 A and won $2.57 ($1.22 net)
      That's what he felt like:

• MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Never change, Sven <3

I like how she's looking at the hand history in that post.

I got paid today and I don't start work until 10.30 tomorrow so I'm tempted to play a €55 double chance in town. It usually gets 100ish players and about €1,800 up top. On the other hand, I also want to play 1,000 hands online.

Theoretically it's possible to do both...